Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,636 members, 7,801,836 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:26 AM

Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN (25380 Views)

41 Exempted Items: FG Dumps CBN’s Forex Policy / Forex Policy: IMF Lauds CBN, Naira Appreciates / CBN Forex Policy Irreversible — Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Goke7: 5:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eluwilussit:

Southerners dey import goods. Northerners dey sell money. Which one come be ethnic card. This is how the north has always cheated the south. If you like, dey there dey pretend. Wake up. Buhari is never known for doing anything that will benefit every section of the country.

You have not answered my question, is the chairman of innoson an Hausa man? Someone said sokoto govt has held meetings with innoson to purchase cars so who is not benefitting? If nobody patronise innoson, won't you back here to complain about marginalisation?

Don't be hypocritical pls
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Goke7: 5:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
grandstar:

All countries that have become giants have done so on the shouder of exports.

Look at Nigeria and what crude oil exports has done for the country. Imagine if Nigeria had 5 sectors like that

We can only have the 5 sectors by looking inwards and reducing importation to some level. Importation business is easier than exports in Nigeria, most nigerians will never want to export if they are not forced to do so. PMB and CBN is on course only blackmailers think otherwise
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by FroshGirl(m): 5:29pm On Feb 20, 2016
tabletman1:
Hard times hard measures.

Apc and buhari are bad luck to Nigerians.
This country don tire me ooo

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by devour129: 5:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
Who remembers eleganza ? When we where growing up everything was made by eleganza.food flask ,water bottle , spoon even sandals and most plastics . Nigerians have messed up n we need to take back our country . What of BATA ?

1 Like

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by ifyan(m): 5:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
Welcome to False Change.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by adisarasaq(m): 5:52pm On Feb 20, 2016

1, Rice

2, Cement

3, Margarine

4, Palm Kernel/Palm oil products/Vegetable oils

5, Meat and processed meat products

6, Vegetables and processed vegetable products

7, Poultry chicken, Eggs, Turkey

8, Private Airplane/jet

9, Indian Incense

10, Tinned fish in sauce (Geisha, Sardine)

11, Cold rolled steel sheets

12,Galvanised steel sheets

13, Roofing sheets

14, Wheelbarrow

15, Head pan

16, Metal box and containers

17, Enamel ware

18, Steel drums

19, Steel pipe

20, Wire rods (deformed and not deformed)

21, Iron rods and reinforcing bard

22, Wire mesh

23, Steel nails

24, Security and razor wine

25, Wood particle boards and panels

26, Wood fibre boards and panel

27, Plywood boards and panels

28, Wooden doors

29, Toothpick

30,Glass and glassware

31, Kitchen utensils

32 Tableware

33, Tiles vitrified and ceramic

34, Textiles

35, Woven fabrics

36, Clothes

37, Plastic and rubber products, polypropylene granules, cellophane wrappers

38, Soap and cosmetics

39, Tomatoes/tomato paste

40, Eurobond/foreign currency bond/share purchases

95% of this items are not raw materials but finished products which we can produce many of them here, the main raw materials on the list is Tomato which is rotten away in the farm
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by grandstar(m): 5:58pm On Feb 20, 2016
Goke7:

Your excuse does not hold water cos no country develop that way. If those importers are wise, they would have used the massive profits over the years to develop and invest into building industries for production here in Nigeria. Do you think dangote was stupid in building and investing into refinery? He knew Christmas will not be forever, also another importer of petroleum products are about to start building another refinery in Lagos. Those import palm oil should go and use their profits over time to build industries for palm oil produce in the east.

Its a big lie that we cannot meet our local demand in Nigeria by building industries.

Its a big fat lie.

Businessmen go into business to mske money and not for patriotic reasons! You sound self righteous and reactive

1 Like

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by forgiveness: 6:00pm On Feb 20, 2016
lookandlaff:

thank-you o, the other day one of them was begging Saraki to remove tomato puree from banned items, meanwhile there is a glut of raw tomato production in the country now. Instead of the idiot manufacturers to ask for forex to procure machinery so they can manufacture their own tomato paste from local tomatoes like Erisco, they still want to waste our forex to use us as a dumping ground for EU subsidized overproduction of tomatoes.

http://www.tribuneonlineng.com/cbn-forex-restriction-on-imported-goods-to-stay-%E2%80%94saraki

Erisco Foods Ltd na oga 4 importation of tomato. All they do is to can it. I confirmed it from their website and you can do that as well. Thanks
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Nobody: 6:02pm On Feb 20, 2016
forgiveness:

Erisco Foods Ltd na oga 4 importation of tomato. All they do is to can it. I confirmed it from their website and you can do that as well. Thanks

Maybe he was the one moaning then
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by ojay2053(m): 6:04pm On Feb 20, 2016
They should be given time to source their materials locally. Not just to implement without warning. How do they want these industries to survive, it would lead to decline of the industries, loss of job, oh my God where is this country heading to.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by forgiveness: 6:19pm On Feb 20, 2016
lookandlaff:

Maybe he was the one moaning then

Perhaps!
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by grandstar(m): 6:20pm On Feb 20, 2016
Goke7:

We can only have the 5 sectors by looking inwards and reducing importation to some level. Importation business is easier than exports in Nigeria, most nigerians will never want to export if they are not forced to do so. PMB and CBN is on course only blackmailers think otherwise

What countries do you know have developed through looking inwards. I know of none.

Import substitution policies make you poorer...India is the best example. That policy pauperised India.

You don't need to ban this or that to encourage production. Simply ensuring that the country is a cost effective and profitable place to make goods is all that is needed. That is why companies are rushing to Ghana because of its good infrastructure though power supply is now becoming an issue.

Nigeria is an unattractive place to set up a factory. Poor infrastructure, multiple taxes, myriad intrusive government agencies and worst of all, unnecessary high cost of credit.
A good economist is proactive and rather than preach, condemn and sound self righteous finds the underlying reasons why Nigerians don't export amd resolves it.

1 Like

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
grandstar:

What countries do you know have developed through looking inwards. I know of none.

Import substitution policies make you poorer...India is the best example. That policy pauperised India.

You don't need to ban this or that to encourage production. Simply ensuring that the country is a cost effective and profitable place to make goods is all that is needed. That is why companies are rushing to Ghana because of its good infrastructure though power supply is now becoming an issue.

Nigeria is an unattractive place to set up a factory. Poor infrastructure, multiple taxes, myriad intrusive government agencies and worst of all, unnecessary high cost of credit.
A good economist is proactive and rather than preach, condemn and sound self righteous finds the underlying reasons why Nigerians don't export amd resolves it.

The reason why we fail is that we are hustlers not businessmen. In Nigeria you buy something, mark it up by 100% and you will find somebody to buy it, tell him to drop his price by 30% and he will sell 100 times more he will say no and so he remains small. You are successful, you think you are a businessman but you are not, you are just a hustler. It's the reason why we are a nation of traders but no yet Nigerian has built a nationwide supermarket chain. You say you are a tomato paste manufacturer but all you are doing is canning imported tomato paste. You say yopu produce vegetable Oil, but all you do is import bulk Oil and bottle it. Adversity creates opportunity, A good businessman will realize this is an opportunity to corner his market, if those who are importing X product are struggling and I can bring in the machinery at a discount (effectively that is what CBN forex is) to manufacture here and source my raw materials here, i could become the biggest player in this industry. But Nigerians don't want to innovate, they want to make money the easy way because they are used to making money without really being innovative.

1 Like

Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Vavana(f): 6:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
LRNZH:
What are these items that are essential raw materials? Let's hear what they are.

These are the lists:
Specifically, the following goods have been restricted by CBN for foreign
exchange transaction. The CBN importation restricted products are;
1. Rice
2. Cement
3. Margarine
4. Palm kernel/Palm oil products/vegetables oils
5. Meat and processed meat products
6. Vegetables and processed vegetable products
7. Poultry chicken, eggs, turkey
8. Private airplanes/jets
9. Indian incense
10. Tinned fish in sauce (Geisha)/sardines
11. Cold rolled steel sheets
12. Galvanized steel sheets
13. Roofing sheets
14. Wheelbarrows
15. Head pans
16. Metal boxes and containers
17. Enamelware
18. Steel drums
19. Steel pipes
20. Wire rods (deformed and not deformed)
21. Iron rods and reinforcing bard
22. Wire mesh
23. Steel nails
24. Security and razor wine
25. Wood particle boards and panels
26. Wood Fibre Boards and Panels
27. Plywood boards and panels
28. Wooden doors
29. Toothpicks
30. Glass and Glassware
31. Kitchen utensils
32. Tableware
33. Tiles-vitrified and ceramic
34. Textiles
35. Woven fabrics
36. Clothes
37. Plastic and rubber products, polypropylene granules, cellophane wrappers
38. Soap and cosmetics
39. Tomatoes/tomato pastes
40. Eurobond/foreign currency bond/ share purchases.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Osgilliat(m): 7:22pm On Feb 20, 2016
Saifullah01:
MAN should realise that PMB is trying to optimise the utility of our current reserves subject to a constraint of falling oil prices and unlimited 'raw materials' to be put on that list. So my advice is this:

As unauthodox as it may seem this is a time for Nigeria to boost its local industries. This is like a protectionist regime imposed by the government for local manufacturing to take advantage of by governments refusial to devalue.

I was in kaduna yesterday and met with one of sokoto state government officials, he told me he was coming back from inoson motors HQ to discuss the possibility of supplying 800 sedans to the state government (and am very sure other states are looking towards that direction too).
My fear is does inoson motors have the capacity to service this sudden interest in their motors. So rather than MAN complain on government FX policies they should encourage their members to seize the opportunity. I expect inoson motors to drag CBN top officials to their plant - just like dangote did to his refinery - and secure commitment from the CBN to prioritise them if they choose to request FX for expansion of operations.

I read an article once in the Harvard business review about international businesses in China, the author was complaining about how it takes more than 6 months to obtain a 1 year business permit in China! (You think that was just because of bureaucracy? ). That was their government delibrately protecting local companies from foreign competitors. Little wonder Chinese companies are number 1 in all sector of their economy.

And those that feel devaluation provides some sort of silver bullet, if we devalue then what?

Devaluation is meant to reduce the pressure on governments scarce dollar reserves by freeing it up for "other purposes". But by banning non essential items (call controlled devaluation) government has effectively freed up FX for essential purpose or "other purposes" like importation of raw materials and spare parts for local manufacturing. So let's not get it twisted, devaluation of the naira won't bring down the price the perfume (Montale - black auod) I coughed out 39k naira to buy online to 19k naira.

Nigerians wants economic reforms but they are not ready to make sacrifice, they are not ready to change from their behavior that brought them to this present situation. I enjoy reading comments like this.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by tiwiex(m): 7:45pm On Feb 20, 2016
LRNZH:

Something is amiss here. How can a MAN chairman make such appeal without listing in the least, a few of these items that are essential raw materials?

Or is the CBN suppose to start guessing which of the 680 item is essential to MAN members?

680 items all at once? 2 trillion from the banks all at once? i don't think this was well thought through. They were more concerned about te propaganda of performance than fixing this problem. Will we start producing the 680 items overnight? Ok oh. Those supporting this policies. Well done. That is why dollar demand has gone wild. Everyone is in the black market. Funny, i noticed the foreign reserve is still dropping. So, who is spending it. It is now $27b. Don't forget we still make some revenue and subsidy is no more being paid.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by LRNZH(m): 7:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
tiwiex:

680 items all at once? 2 trillion from the banks all at once? i don't think this was well thought through. They were more concerned about te propaganda of performance than fixing this problem. Will we start producing the 680 items overnight? Ok oh. Those supporting this policies. Well done. That is why dollar demand has gone wild. Everyone is in the black market. Funny, i noticed the foreign reserve is still dropping. So, who is spending it. It is now $27b. Don't forget we still make some revenue and subsidy is no more being paid.

The MAN Chairman Udemba said that some of the 41 items in the list were essential raw materials for many manufacturers across key sectors, and could not be presently sourced locally.

That is 41 out of 680 prohibited items. I wondered how we can tell which of the 680 items are on the list of 41 items without him listing the items.

I hope this is clearer now.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by MrGerald(m): 8:01pm On Feb 20, 2016
LRNZH:

The MAN chairman came to the court of public opinion to cry out. He is obligated to list the items so the public has a clear picture of what he is crying about.
I hope you have learnt something today.
No.. rather the other way round
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by gegeski: 8:01pm On Feb 20, 2016
I hope President buhari knows what he is doing because i see all happening to our Nigeria Economy from decline in price of crude oil to the reduction in the value of Naira as a strategic plan by the United State of America to fulfill and achieve their prediction that Nigeria will become a failed country is the year 2020. They know this prediction wont come to fulfillment if GEJ remains the president and it will become a shame to them, so they have to work with the APC behind the scene to politically push GEJ out and brought Buhari to power with the slogan " CHANGE" in other for them to achieve their aim.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by arabianights: 8:08pm On Feb 20, 2016
ShowYourCertificate:
Buhari is the biggest and oldest dullard alive. He doesn't even know simple economics. And it seems he has infected his cabinet members with his dullardness grin

MAy God spare your life ................................You will be amongst those that will come back here to sing and dance praises to Buhari.

Before you put on your clothe dont you strip first? Nigeria is naked and about to wear a beautiful new cloth.One with good quality and durability
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by sasxy(m): 9:26pm On Feb 20, 2016
they are closing down already.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Nobody: 9:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
sinkhole:
It is the fault of news reporting in Nigeria, they should have asked the MAN person to list some of the raw materials! But meanwhile, we know that machines and vehicles spare parts are raw materials that are not made in Nigeria, electronic components are also not made in Nigeria and so on!
Not MAN but reps of those lazy importers.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by pumpindkay(m): 10:54pm On Feb 20, 2016
LegatusGlaber:
Why don't they list those important raw materials, who knows we might find a way of making them here. Otherwise, this is nothing but an emotional appeal and veiled threat

The items include the following:
1. Rice
2. Cement
3. Margarine
9. Indian incense
10. Tinned fish in sauce(Geisha)/sardines
13. Roofing sheets
14. Wheelbarrows
15. Head pans
17. Enamelware
18. Steel drums
19. Steel pipes
20. Wire rods(deformed and not deformed)
22. Wire mesh
23. Steel nails
28. Wooden doors
29. Toothpicks
30. Glass and Glassware
31. Kitchen utensils
32. Tableware
34. Textiles #where is the textiles industries in Nigeria (won fi ete si le won n pa lapalapa.
35. Woven fabrics
36. Clothes
37. Plastic and rubber products, polypropylene
granules , cellophane wrappers
38. Soap and cosmetics
40. Eurobond/foreign currency bond/ share
purchases
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by bilazego(m): 11:07pm On Feb 20, 2016
irunooboo:

all we know is the army has found his certificate. His policies will change Nigeria for good

what did he score in Mathematics , English and economics
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by bilazego(m): 11:24pm On Feb 20, 2016
Goke7:

There are companies in Nigeria that produce many of these items, truly some fellows do not wish our country well, what a pity

MAN says the breakdown of these banned items result in over 600 products out of which the are asking for the exclusion of 95 items. these 95 are essential raw materials that can't be sourced locally. we will understand the situation better when industries starts firing workers. there's need for government to look into their demand to avoid job loses .
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Eluwilussit(m): 11:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
Goke7:

You have not answered my question, is the chairman of innoson an Hausa man? Someone said sokoto govt has held meetings with innoson to purchase cars so who is not benefitting? If nobody patronise innoson, won't you back here to complain about marginalisation?

Don't be hypocritical pls

I understand your position. Innoson is Igbo. When did it become the position of the FG and State Govt to monopolize the economy to favor a few persons? Assuming innoson is to profit from this. What then happens to the rest of the people/importers? The economy of a nation of over 170m people, cannot be tailored to suit a few, and you expect a boom. You don't use innoson as a case study among tens of millions of persons who contribute more to the micro economy of the nation through their imports.

This is the wrong time for what PMB and his economic team are doing. The economy needs stimulation and not strangulation. When the naira becomes like the Zimbabwe dollar, and you use basketful of naira just to buy bread, innoson and all the examples you are giving, will not be worrying about us. Think man. Think.

Now back to my questions: who dey sell dollar? Who dey do major imports? This was what PMB did the first time. That's how the budding economy of the south was effectively checked. Eko survived because there was nothing anyone could have done about it, as it was already well established as a metro city. Still PMB cancelled the Eko metro-rail project, and allegedly paid over $70m (USD) as penalty. This money as we read and heard, was enough to complete the project. Tell me, who in his right senses as the head of state, would do this? It takes a mean tribalist. If you are looking for one, you need not look far. PMB is one. Check all his activities in the past and presently. They speak volume.

Anyway, I hope I am wrong. How's your weekend jare? Naija matter no dey finish, so save your credit or whatever. Have a fab nite.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by bilazego(m): 11:34pm On Feb 20, 2016
reyscrub:

It is a pity that you don't even understand what is called a benefit of emergency economic policy to guild a loss formulation.

If u have an instinct site, u will see how this country shall be great in due time due to strengthen of locally back policy.

Malaysia, New Zealand, Brazil even Ghana during Jerry Raulin took a stern step to withstand a moment pain for lasting pleasure and surplus their have today.

I wish GMB rule this country as a military and use veto to flush out the caterpillars and cankerworms in this country.

Brother, dollars is not our currency and againg dollar is 197 in forex, it is only rising in black market.

this is not 1980s, the world has become a global village. the economics applicable then can't work now. this government need to apply modern economic policies in conformity today realities.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by Eluwilussit(m): 11:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
reyscrub:

It is a pity that you don't even understand what is called a benefit of emergency economic policy to guild a loss formulation.

If u have an instinct site, u will see how this country shall be great in due time due to strengthen of locally back policy.

Malaysia, New Zealand, Brazil even Ghana during Jerry Raulin took a stern step to withstand a moment pain for lasting pleasure and surplus their have today.

I wish GMB rule this country as a military and use veto to flush out the caterpillars and cankerworms in this country.

Brother, dollars is not our currency and againg dollar is 197 in forex, it is only rising in black market.

Why is there black market in the first place? Why is the dollar rising in the black market?
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by bilazego(m): 11:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
Goke7:

We can make up the short fall if we are serious, laziness is our problem due to our politicians especially state governors who spoil us by throwing money for us on the street. If the south east governors can push a little, our palm oil demand can be met by two or three States from the south east

were went your cocoa and groundnut pyramids. governors from the west and north can push little.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by onoja12: 11:53pm On Feb 20, 2016
I advice man to list the 91 items, let us direct them to people who can produce it within Nigeria, because what is been done is in there advantage and they shouldnt be used to spoil it

theshadyexpress:

https://www.today.ng/news/national/82022/many-companies-will-start-closing-shop-due-to-cbn-forex-policy-man
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by ShowYourCertificate: 6:00am On Feb 21, 2016
arabianights:

MAy God spare your life ................................You will be amongst those that will come back here to sing and dance praises to Buhari.

Before you put on your clothe dont you strip first? Nigeria is naked and about to wear a beautiful new cloth.One with good quality and durability
Stop deceiving yourself. Nigeria is on a downward spiral economy wise. Even an O Level Economics student knows this.
Re: Many Companies Will Start Closing Shop Due To CBN Forex Policy – MAN by LegatusGlaber(m): 1:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
Which among them will force the manufacturing sector to close down?
pumpindkay:

The items include the following:
1. Rice
2. Cement
3. Margarine
9. Indian incense
10. Tinned fish in sauce(Geisha)/sardines
13. Roofing sheets
14. Wheelbarrows
15. Head pans
17. Enamelware
18. Steel drums
19. Steel pipes
20. Wire rods(deformed and not deformed)
22. Wire mesh
23. Steel nails
28. Wooden doors
29. Toothpicks
30. Glass and Glassware
31. Kitchen utensils
32. Tableware
34. Textiles #where is the textiles industries in Nigeria (won fi ete si le won n pa lapalapa.
35. Woven fabrics
36. Clothes
37. Plastic and rubber products, polypropylene
granules , cellophane wrappers
38. Soap and cosmetics
40. Eurobond/foreign currency bond/ share
purchases

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Adesola Adeduntan: CBN Queries First Bank As CEO Is ‘Purportedly Forced Out" / Beautiful Photos Of Nana Otedola / 4 Reasons You Would Remain Average Financially

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.