Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,895 members, 7,798,989 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 01:30 PM

Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill (4285 Views)

The Nigerian Tenancy Law On Eviction? / Is The New Lagos Tenancy Law Working? / See What The New Lagos Tenancy Law Says. Full Text (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by whatalife: 7:14am On Jul 10, 2009
Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill
By Akinwunmi King, Reporter, Lagos

Members of the Lagos State House of Assembly on Thursday disagreed, as the House took the Second Reading of a bill for a law to regulate rights and obligations under tenancy agreements.

The bill, which was sent in by the executive arm of government, is also to regulate the relationship between the landlord and the tenant, including procedure for the recovery of premises.

Speaking on the bill, Chairman, House Committee on Judiciary, Babatunde Ogala, explained that the bill would provide legal framework to tenancy issue in the state, adding that the bill has the obligations of both the tenant and landlord stated in it.

But Adekunle Ademoye, who is the Chairman, House Committee on Housing, who spoke on demerit of the bill, explained that even if the bill were passed into law, most landlords would not be ready to oblige.

"I am particular about the implementation of this law, because some of our landlords in Lagos may say that it is not the government that built their houses for them".

Some of the lawmakers who also contributed maintained that the workability of the bill is not possible in Nigeria, particularly Lagos State. According to the Chief Whip, Rasak Balogun, "how can you tell a landlord that had suffered a lot to build a house not to collect more than three months advance payment?

"Even the state government is not collecting the land use charge monthly but yearly; so making a law that a landlord should not collect more than three months advance payment is unrealistic. May be we should just step it down," Balogun added.

http://www.independentngonline.com/news/head/article06
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by whatalife: 8:14am On Jul 10, 2009
Some of the lawmakers who also contributed maintained that the workability of the bill is not possible in Nigeria, particularly Lagos State. According to the Chief Whip, Rasak Balogun, "how can you tell a landlord that had suffered a lot to build a house not to collect more than three months advance payment?

"Even the state government is not collecting the land use charge monthly but yearly; so making a law that a landlord should not collect more than three months advance payment is unrealistic. May be we should just step it down," Balogun added.

BAC, your comment on this.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by temmytanny(m): 10:25am On Jul 10, 2009
i know it would be difficult to implement but lets pray it goes tru even if it is 6months or 1yrs maximum tenency,its okay
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by lastpage: 4:31am On Jul 13, 2009
Its funny that the government is trying to promulgate a law that would apply to and be binding on the citizens, on "property" that the government does not own, yet the owners of such property and the citizenry in general are not aware of the contents of such a Bill, not to mention that they would and should have a public reading/debate/contribution to such Bill!

Is this fair and is this how democracy truly operates?

If the government allows those concerned to make inputs, the Legislators will have no option than to abide by the wishes of their constituency or be recalled, thus forestalling all the rancor and arm-twisting going on in the house!

Governor Fashola, Lets see the Bill in public please.

Lastpage
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 6:59am On Jul 14, 2009
Lastpage,
You have to keep in mind that, if such laws are left to the debate of the public, it would become law in a heart beat. There are more tenants out there than landlords., also, I think its a failed course from jump street.
Like one of the law markers said, the govt. is not collecting his own dues monthly, but yearly, so where is the morality for asking that landlord do?.
I'm in the process of buying a 4 plot land in Lagos and the fees are crazy, the lawyers is asking, relatives of the owners,surveyors and the biggest of all were that paid to Lagos state. So, its sad. Now, to think that if I put the planned commercial property there, I'll only be able to collect by the month, I'll never realize my capital back, but in 20 or more yrs.
I bought a 12 family apartment complex in California a while ago and it cost about 812K, I paid less than 20 cash. That way, I could do a month by month and still make 5 to 8 hundred dollars every month. In Nigeria, you have to cough out the 30M naira that would build a similar project. No story! I'm sure we all know the deal how it works in Nigeria.

I'm not saying that the status quot should remain, even the status quot ante wasn't good enough. We need a new Nigeria,one that must start with the govt. not the landlords. You may say, well it should start with us all, yes, but start as in start proper, build govt housing all over Lagos start, one that landlords could not match, I'm sure if our commercial properties are empty, we'll give them out even at weekly rate. treat the problem(s) from the root not from the flowers.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2009
is this the only country where people own property?
why pay 2 year rent in advance?

holy shit!!!
I support the fcking bill

My people own houses so its not as if it wont affect my people but, let the truth be told. . .
Rent in Lagos is evil.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 5:58pm On Jul 14, 2009
I think the problem is with the govt. not landlords and home owners. Let govt. built thousands of homes and not sell them for 4 and 8 million, but rent out by the month. I think that would be more like getting it right.

I'm not sure if the govt. could go to the market-say Alaba- and enforce price regulations.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by simeipiri: 6:16pm On Jul 14, 2009
I'm not a landlord but hope to be one someday. I would never support this bill because its against the free market policy. As rightly said govt should first of all build houses and put it up for monthly rent. Lead by example
Lets face the fact this can't work
I have alot of respect for Fashola but this is not the right way to go
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 7:13pm On Jul 14, 2009
Charity begins at home.

Even the Govt houses built with public funds are been sold outright at exhorbitant prices,
why can't they build and rent it out monthly then there is something to follow up
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2009
because its a free market then Govt shldnt play their role as a regulator

The reason why we have a piece of land going for 500m in some areas in Lagos is cos of this evil notion.
Are The govts of the West building houses for the masses?

I support the regulation of Rent and even the sale of land and other allied services in the real sector
let some sanity be restored!

simple
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by naijatoday: 8:14pm On Jul 14, 2009
I am totally against government building homes.

History has shown Govt. are not good managers, even in the west they are tearing down government housing and handing it over the private sector.

To the people saying the state government should build houses, how many houses do you want them to build? with the state population growing everyday (people moving from other states) the truth is in Lagos state, demand will always outstrip supply (until other states start developing). If the govt. is spending all the money they have building houses how about the roads, were will the money come from.

If Lagos is collecting land use charge on a yearly bases, if the law changes then land use charge must be on a monthly bases.

The bill is not to control how much a landlord charges but how much advance fee payment he can collect. Right now some landlords are asking for 2-3 yrs.

The bill must also protect the landlords.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 8:50pm On Jul 14, 2009
am totally against government building homes.

History has shown Govt. are not good managers, even in the west they are tearing down government housing and handing it over the private sector.

To the people saying the state government should build houses, how many houses do you want them to build? with the state population growing everyday (people moving from other states) the truth is in Lagos state, demand will always outstrip supply (until other states start developing). If the govt. is spending all the money they have building houses how about the roads, were will the money come from.

If Lagos is collecting land use charge on a yearly bases, if the law changes then land use charge must be on a monthly bases.

The bill is not to control how much a landlord charges but how much advance fee payment he can collect. Right now some landlords are asking for 2-3 yrs.

The bill must also protect the landlords.
well said
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 9:23pm On Jul 14, 2009
The Poster who asked if govt. in the west is building houses for the masses, the answer is yes. One of such govt. programs is called project housing.

The other poster did mention a very salient point.Govt is not regulating price, but how long a lease should be. Well, if the govt. regulate a lease duration, its technically regulating the amount charged. Also, landlord could react by asking for 40k per month,then what? govt. would step in again.

I think land prices are off the hook in lagos.Can govt regulate that too? i guess not. Once again charity begins at home. Govt could actually build houses and contract it to private investors to manage, then they can regulate the prices for such homes. keep in mind, no one suggestion puts an end to the rest.So, please, lets brainstorm and try-for the fun of it-figure a nearly perfect scenerio that takes landlord and tenants into consideration and also, holding the govt. responsible and not private citizens.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by damola1: 10:24pm On Jul 14, 2009
What's my own?

These lawmakers are wasting time on issues they are well aware there's very little they can do.

Firstly, what's the ratio of the number of homeless people or people looking to rent apartments as to available apartments.

They don't know that oh,

I stand to be corrected, but for every available apartment in any OK area in lagos, there are at least: 50 people looking to rent it, and if you say you want to pay per month, No problemo, the next person will not only be glad to increase the charges but pay for 3yrs,

We are too much in Lagos, so really, all this is just a waste of time,
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by oluclem(m): 10:44pm On Jul 14, 2009
damola1:

What's my own?

These lawmakers are wasting time on issues they are well aware there's very little they can do.

No mind them,

Why don't they work with the executive to increase the annual housing allowance (from the maximum 150k) that can hardly pay for a one bedroom self contain rather than trying to tell landlords what to charge on "their" building
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by sharepain(m): 11:24pm On Jul 14, 2009
it is a pity that all our things in this country is always upside down either inform of presentation or actualisation, charity they say begins at home, if actually the govt. want the easy life plan for her citizens thay are supposed to have built in nos houses for the masses at the lowest rentage rate that should be payable monthly which should be a life plan of eventually owing the house or pay every three months for same housing program which also should incorcate the payment of any tax or levies be paid monthly instead of the enforcement the Lagos State Revenue system of One year Payment plan.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2009
simeipiri:

I'm not a landlord but hope to be one someday. I would never support this bill because its against the free market policy. As rightly said govt should first of all build houses and put it up for monthly rent. Lead by example
Lets face the fact this can't work
I have alot of respect for Fashola but this is not the right way to go

well Bros, i doubt if you pay your house rent yourself cos if u do u would know that paying for a 3 bedroom apartment for 2 or 3 years in advance might force you to take a bank loan. probably u are one of those that only think about themselves and not what people in our streets go thru, but alas it would come to u when you grow up and one day b4 u become ur almighty landlord you would face the music

i have live in Europe . Usa, southafrica and i can authoritatively tell you only Nigeria is where u pay 3 years in advance. does any body in Nigeria receive salary in advance? i even know a lot of folks that have not received up to 3 months salary

the whole system has to change i agree with u, starting from the government to the banks, i use to think there is a term called mortgage loan, but we both know it is not for me and you it is for the likes that keep borrowing and would not pay and they end up striking a deal with the bank MD. we only see them in the news papers, infarct one of them was named in Forbes list- richest man in Nigeria  with factories of cement macaroni spaghetti all around the country and yet would not pay back his loan

go and try getting a mortgage loan from a nigerian bank, the interest if it does not kill u would make u permanently broke, u would end up paying salaries of at least one entry level every year for the whole 30 year duration of the loan.

the system needs to change and our govt should be responsible to the people not to build houses sell it to their friends and tell us via NTA that they have giving us the people housing project, i am tired of being played.

maybe when you pay your first house rent probably some where in Lekki / ikoyi  by God's grace and you pay for 2 years and you survive, u still have changed to buy ur flat screen and a car please let me know and dont tell me you work for the big companies, tell me you work for the regular me and u company and i would be eager to learn your survival tactics

cheers
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by pete(m): 1:33am On Jul 15, 2009
Kaecy5,
while I agree with you that, Nigeria is the only place where multiple advance rent is collected, I must also say that, Nigeria is one of the governments in the world that is not people oriented. Absolute disregard for the same people who offered power to its leaders. The point here is that,as you opined, it needs to start with the govt. As I had mention before, you can't treat this ailment from the flowers, needs to start from the roots.
So then, if you can't get a loan because the banking system as well as the govt. is rotten, why should landlords bear the burden? Look at NYC, an apartment in Manhattan cost up to 7k a month,guess what the govt. did, instead of forcing the trumps to reduce their rent charges, they built Bronx and other subs. So you don't have to live in Manhattan,travel from Bronx and work in NYC. Lots of govt. projects in Bronx, not comparing the US with Nigeria, but their leaders have same head with ours, Tinubu lived in New york, please, it makes me sick to the stomach,
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by benlay(m): 2:42am On Jul 15, 2009
i am not surprised cos that's what they all do, pass it into law and let;s see the implementation being carried out by law enforcement agencies later, u can't be a judge in your own case, their job is to pass into law, leave the law enforcement to others, they were not sincere, they are not representing anyone anyway but their pockets, people who wanna represent masses that kill themselves to get into power, i know they have sickle cells. they should go to 'heck'.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nezan(m): 10:57am On Jul 15, 2009
I know many of them are Landlords grin
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 11:28am On Jul 15, 2009
Let me elaborate more, I don't want to support the Gov. neither support the erring landlords/
but here is where the bone of contention lies.

If a landlord is charging you rent of 200k for 2 yrs, which totals about 400k
what the Gov is saying is that the landlord should allow the tenant pay 100k for 6 months rent and complete the next 6 months rent of 100k to complete 200k for a year.
Its not affecting the amount the landlord will be charging
its just going to reduce the stress and burden on the tenant, The tenant will stil be required to pay the total rent for 2yrs but will just have to be quaterly.
I hope this will help

I really also want them to reduce the commissions from 10% to 5% and lest not forget that some landlords don't have intentions of increasing rent but some unscrupulous agents advise them to do so
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 11:36am On Jul 15, 2009
Let me elaborate more, I don't want to support the Gov. neither support the erring landlords/
but here is where the bone of contention lies.

If a landlord is charging you rent of 200k for 2 yrs, which totals about 400k
what the Gov is saying is that the landlord should allow the tenant pay 100k for 6 months rent and complete the next 6 months rent of 100k to complete 200k for a year.
Its not affecting the amount the landlord will be charging
its just going to reduce the stress and burden on the tenant, The tenant will stil be required to pay the total rent for 2yrs but will just have to be quaterly.

I hope this will help

I really also want them to reduce the commissions from 10% to 5% and lest not forget that some landlords don't have intentions of increasing rent but some unscrupulous agents advise them to do so

i wonder why this is hard to understand
people are saying Govt shld start building houses?
Govt shld build houses for 100 million people shocked shocked shocked
c'mon cant we think?

In this kind of system, the private will defintely be the last resort even if Govt will build.
Do you people know how many housin schemes Govt both state and Fed have built?
Millions of people are still living in Jakande estates in this country and you say Govt hasnt done shit.
wait till Govt start paying for your rent so gbo?

why would anybody charge 2 year rent?
did they pay you in advance for 2 years where you work?
so where are you supposed to get 1.5million rent from when you take home 200k?
borrow or what?

apply wisdom abeg!

Let them collect quarterly to make life easy. nobody is saying the real value shld be reduced but the ease of payment is what we are talking about
shikena!!!
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 15, 2009
[/b]i wonder why this is hard to understand
people are saying Govt shld start building houses?
Govt shld build houses for 100 million people
c'mon cant we think?

In this kind of system, the private will defintely be the last resort even if Govt will build.
Do you people know how many housin schemes Govt both state and Fed have built?
Millions of people are still living in Jakande estates in this country and you say Govt hasnt done shit.
wait till Govt start paying for your rent so gbo?

why would anybody charge 2 year rent?
did they pay you in advance for 2 years where you work?
so where are you supposed to get 1.5million rent from when you take home 200k?
borrow or what?

apply wisdom abeg!

Let them collect quarterly to make life easy. nobody is saying the real value shld be reduced but the ease of payment is what we are talking about
shikena!!![b]

1 + 1 = 2   (very Simple)
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by sirt1(m): 12:13pm On Jul 15, 2009
Good attempt by the executive arm of Govt. Though pple might go against it for their selfish interest, either as an unscrupulous agents or cruel Landlords. House rent in Lagos is out of reach of common man. Though Govt has its own blame, but the major ones are on these bad heads (agents and landlords). Their excesses should be curtailed.

Can't imagine somebody paid #1.2m for 2yrs rental in Bariga!!! Isn't this too much.Pls, lets join hands together and fight this injustice.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by desertboom(m): 12:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
Our govt. Of today is really working hard to creat and to develop a perfect society. As the government is doing well to make life easier for humankind i will also oblige the landlord to see reasons why they don't need to be greedy. In as much as you build your house with millions it doesn't warrant you to generate back your capital in a short period of time for christ sake the house is still yours. I stand to be corrected and i may not sound nice aswell but some landlords are just greedy and evil. Government do your job I'm right beside you.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by adejokemi(m): 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
you guys are missing something that is very important here, i guess the questions we shld ask ourselves is that WHO ARE THE LANDLORDS?
WHO ARE ONES THAT KNOW THE LANDLORDS??
WHO ARE THE ONES THAT GET INTO POST WITH THE HELP OF THE LANDLORDS
if the list is unending, then heaven knows that the change we all desire for will never come into been.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by BAC: 2:48pm On Jul 15, 2009
whatalife:

BAC, your comment on this.

Don't forget most of those law makers are landlords,  My advise to tenant is go build your own, and if you can't at  the moment keep believing God.

Lagos tenants are trouble makers, no one wants to pay for anything in naija the risk of not getting paid your rent is too high.
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by tkb417(m): 4:53pm On Jul 15, 2009
Don't forget most of those law makers are landlords, My advise to tenant is go build your own, and if you can't at the moment keep believing God.

Lagos tenants are trouble makers, no one wants to pay for anything in naija the risk of not getting paid your rent is too high.
do u own the house you stay in the UK?
and if not, do you pay a year advance in rent?

cant get the drift?
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by temmytanny(m): 4:55pm On Jul 15, 2009
personally,am in support of the govt plan but i think both parties would mis use the opportunity given them

the landlord may increase there fees
the tenant maynot pay in time

so the law should tackle these issues very well before being enacted.

personally ooooo,i think 6months ideal for a society like ours.

some landlords need the money to pay school and other important things and collecting quartely may nt be okay for them.

i pray the law sails tru cos we need it and that can even check corruption in some cases cos we maynt get to extra miles to pay for roof over our head

FASHOLA 2011, EKO O NI BAJE OOOOO
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by temmytanny(m): 5:00pm On Jul 15, 2009
@BAC
PEOPLE DAT DONT SUPPORT THIS LAW ARE THE ONES OUTSIDE 9JA AND ITS QUEIT UNFORTUNATE COS THEY CANT PAY SUCH RENT IN THOSE COUNTRIES THEY LIVE IN.SOME DONT EVEN HAVE MONEY TO COME HOME NOT TO TALK OF BUILDING A HOUSE IN 9JA.THEY ARE EVEN SQUARTIN NI OOOO

FASHOLA WOULD SHAME YOU ALL
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by LUDALOOLO(m): 5:34pm On Jul 15, 2009
we have bad govt, all they knw how 2 do is promise but they can fulfil. I cant say much cos i have so much pain bout d govt. They always fail
Re: Lagos Lawmakers Disagree Over Tenancy Bill by NosaHenry(m): 6:40pm On Jul 15, 2009
Dumb lawmakers, how can they determine whether the law will be enforceable when they have not even pass it. Their duty is to make laws and not to enforce them.
They are just been selfish, because each of them have about 10 houses. They don't know the pain people pass through to raise money for those good for nothing landlords.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / Earn A Life Time Stream Of Increasing Income When You Invest In Oceanna. / ……….. 4 Bedroom Fully Detached Duplex With Penthouse (The Ambiance)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.