Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,874 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? (14230 Views)

I Don't Think We Christians Really Study Our Bibles / When Faiths Collide (lordnicklaus Vs Otemanuduno) / What Can Of Songs Can Christians Play During Celebration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by iliyande(m): 7:56am On Feb 21, 2016
In a country like Nigeria, most of us if not all, it's impossible to go a week, a day even, without interacting with someone from a different faith or of no faith at all. Whether it's a Mosque near our work or a sign for opposite faith inscription in what we buy in the ermarket, we're constantly reminded of the multi-faith society that we live in. More than just coming across people of different faiths, a lot of Christians will have friends who pray to and believe in different gods too.

But is it possible to be their good friend?

As Christians, it's not our place to judge but to love. Jesus shows us throughout the Bible the inclusivity of his love, and that's how our practice of Christianity should be. Jesus chose to spend his time with all different types of people (Luke 19:1-10). He didn't shut himself off from those who did not believe he was the Son of God and neither should we.

It's undeniable that there are common values and ideas between different faiths. And maintaining friendships with non-Christians can cause us to positively re-examine our own commitment to God. We need look no further than Christians observing Ramadan and Salah for an example of this.

Having friends of different faiths also provides us with innumerable opportunities to share the good news of God's love for us, bear witness to Jesus and introduce people to Christ. But there is no need for us to aggressively attempt to convert our friends of Muslim, atheist or any other faith to Christianity. "But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect," (1 Peter 3:15). The thought of discussing our faith with our friends can fill some of us with dread, but this verse is a source of encouragement. Here we find advice on how we can approach these types of conversations and a reminder that gentleness and respect is vital when doing so.

There are many differences between Islam and Christianity, and Christianity and Judaism, but there are similarities too. However, these areas of common ground, whatever they may be, should not be the driving force behind our friendships. Instead, remembering that love is central to Christianity is the way that we can really assess the validity of our inter-faith friendships.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 7:59am On Feb 21, 2016
yeah, its possible to be friends with them on other matters, buh not religion.
sometimes it can be nearly impossible.

2 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by otimothy(m): 8:00am On Feb 21, 2016
hmm
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by nanauju(f): 8:13am On Feb 21, 2016
In sec school, it was easier to be friends with kids of other faith. But now, seriously I tell you, the ideology is divided by a large margin and I'm the type that hates arguing.
But for me, business/working pleace is the major thing that can bring us close

6 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by orisa37: 9:59am On Feb 21, 2016
This is like asking a King or a Queen to connect with his or her subjects, which is not necessary to ask. Christianity is the Boss of all others. It's a complete Religion of all Religions. It's The Faith, The Hope, God of Peace and God in Love. It's our true relationship with the God of the Universe. Wherever a Christian connects and worships is the Sanctuary of God Almighty.

9 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by amunkita(m): 10:01am On Feb 21, 2016
Yes...
As long as u re not fetish, we re good to go..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by theunnamed: 10:01am On Feb 21, 2016
Why not?

1 Like

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by manee2(m): 10:02am On Feb 21, 2016
i dont understand.. undecided
.. oh..
i jst de get hardluck for f00tball bet dis days

2 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 21, 2016
Friends?
Define friendship?

The problem with majority of us especially Nigerians is that we carry both tribe, religion, class difference...etc on our heads.
The few friends I have made from NL, we have differences_ be it religious or tribal, yet we get along excellently.

It all boils down to understanding what friendship is all about, to me it's about reaching out to others, irrespective of our differences.
So, I can be friends with anyone, I no dey select.

It should even be encouraged, it promotes unity.

20 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 10:03am On Feb 21, 2016
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Onyiibazz: 10:03am On Feb 21, 2016
In a gathering of christian extremists, declare that God doesnt exist and watch yourself get lynched

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by brainbox1000(m): 10:03am On Feb 21, 2016
Abeg una no dey go church?
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by adren(m): 10:03am On Feb 21, 2016
@OP

what makes you think christianity is the way??

what makes you think islam is not??

we are brought up with beliefs that was passed on to our fathers and their fathers..

OP would have been a sango worshipper if he's from a sango lineage...

in a way, your write-up depicts tribalism and stigmatisation..

one is not sure what the right way is unless jesus christ or mohammed themselves show up..

just make friends, show love, take time to cherish people irrespective of their religion or belief
God just have mercy!!

in other news, i have a middle-aged woman who is ready to relocate to abuja, lagos or PH so far there is accomodation. she helps to babysit, take care of old people and she goes on errands..

she has a police affidavit.. so, you need not be afraid of kidnapping and other crimes..

for more enquiries.. quote me

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by kennyman2000(m): 10:04am On Feb 21, 2016
Hmmmmm
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by RichYoungNigger(m): 10:04am On Feb 21, 2016
Religion is the biggest scam in the history of the world.

12 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Geesarki(m): 10:07am On Feb 21, 2016
I have a handful of xtrian friends despite my strong commitment nd devotion to Islam.

Abeg lets peace reign, its only the extremists that lack tolerance. An average Muslim or Christian is peace-loving.

25 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by kilokeys(m): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
Let your light so shine, so that men will see and glorify your father in heaven.

U don't need to shout.. Being morally upright, having the fruits of the spirit, not being judgemental. U will win more pple over to the faith..

I have not been so great though. Lol

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Onyiibazz: 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
orisa37:
This is like asking a King or a Queen to connect with his or her subjects, which is not necessary to ask. Christianity is the Boss of all others. It's a complete Religion of all Religions. It's The Faith, The Hope, God of Peace and God in Love. It's our true relationship with the God of the Universe. Wherever a Christian connects and worships is the Sanctuary of God Almighty.
It's this your mentality of christianity being the king of other religions that has caused a lot of problems in the world today

29 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
How can we win their souls for Christ when we are at distance with them? There's something called RELATIONAL EVANGELISM: in which we first get acquainted with unbelievers(with utmost carefulness though ), then preach the Gospel to them. I think Jude 21-24 will be of help here
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by lovaleenny(f): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
Nigerians and their ever-need to be divided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Abdstrakt(m): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
i can be friends with any "human being".
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Barselonia(m): 10:09am On Feb 21, 2016
manee2:
.. oh..
na wa for u....I Have already see the reason u Have hardluck ....Because u don't know ur bearing
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Pavore9: 10:12am On Feb 21, 2016
They are humans like me. If l feel comfortable using phones made by non-Christians what should justify my wanting to discriminate against them!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by macapie20(m): 10:12am On Feb 21, 2016
manee2:
.. oh..
Stake like 5games, put like 1k ontop

3 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by iliyande(m): 10:13am On Feb 21, 2016
lovaleenny:
Nigerians and their ever-need to be divided undecided

Please read the full article again. Thanks cool

1 Like

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 21, 2016
I had a discussion with a Muslim faithful the other day and i must confess,if one is not strong in Christlike love,those people does not deserve a Christian's friendship or acts of love because what must of them have for Christian and Christianity is loathing

imagine the Muslim man telling me,their Qur'an says only muslims will make heaven and the rest of all mankind who are not Muslims are losers? like really? such warped mentality

those people have been greatly scammed by the Arabians that brought them this religion..

that's said, did anyone notice how they quickly denied bokoharam when they started destroying and killing their fellow Muslims? did this savages deny them when they started with killing Christians and attacking churches only?

now imagine the Muslim topics even here on Nairaland,a christian can't comment yet they have a free access to comment on christian threads to spew bile.... seun needs to explain this

all said,tolerance is all we need to show them not love.. undecided

3 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Nobody: 10:13am On Feb 21, 2016
K
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by erusen: 10:14am On Feb 21, 2016
RichYoungNigger:
Religion is the biggest scam in the history of the world.

stop derailing the topic if u nor get wentin you wan talk abeg pack your load dey go

1 Like

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by manee2(m): 10:17am On Feb 21, 2016
macapie20:

Stake like 5games, put like 1k ontop
... hu tell u say 5games no de cut?
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Eureka123(f): 10:18am On Feb 21, 2016
I don't face this dilemma, during my interactions with friends from other faith. As much as we are all from different religious diversity, I'd like to consider them first as fellow humans. Besides, any religion to me is crap, if it doesn't provide for you to at least show love to all and sundry, irrespective of differences.

One thing you must notice about all religion, they commonly promote "LOVE". One way such friendships can be long lasting, is when you are able to keep an open mind. I have Muslim friends who celebrate Christian programs and vice versa.

This is why the issue of tribalism saddens me all the time, due to the ignorance of many individuals.

8 Likes

Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by erusen: 10:21am On Feb 21, 2016
Onyiibazz:
In a gathering of christian extremists, declare that God doesnt exist and watch yourself get lynched
your understanding of Christianity is very poor
Re: Can Christians Really Be Friends And Connect With Those Of Other Faiths? by Siddeek: 10:22am On Feb 21, 2016
Talking about friendship, i know some certain state or region where you can find people of different faith living together no even as friends,but as blood brothers and sisters. E.g NE,NC And SW. When you talk of NW And SE, these are d two regions that believed the are too religious and should not be friends with the other faith. These two regions, are the cause of nigeria's religious rivalry. I tell you.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

In Defence Of Logicboy / Who Is A True Man Of God? / Confessions Of A Nun About The Activities That Goes On In A Covent. MUST READ!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.