Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,902 members, 7,799,027 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move (38167 Views)

Reason Why Tax Kills My Business In Nigeria See Solutions To Apply / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Anthony Enukem Tonimas: Champion Of Think Home Philosophy In Igbo Land-photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 1:17pm On Feb 26, 2016
When I started this story, I listed some factors that were in my favour. I've just remembered more. Lol.
7) There are some foodstuffs (a bag of rice, a carton of tin tomatoes, a pot of raw beans, half bag of garri and small abacha) that my family left here after the Christmas and new year celebrations.
cool They also left an almost full cylinder of gas.

Thank God. Those foodstuffs and gas have really saved me money. Lol. If not, I wonder how much I would've been spending on kerosene and beans. I love beans so much. It saves me from lack of protein from the no-meat-no-fish meals I cook. Lol. Beans and garri. Beans and noodles. Beans and potato. Beans and plantain. Rice and beans. Thank God for beans. Lol.

But in order to save my gas, I bought a small electric cooker N1,800. In fact, I cook beans and boil water with only my electric cooker. I also had to buy other essentials like a 25litres gallon N550, rechargeable lamp N700, rechargeable torch N800, a carton of TummyTummy noodles N1,850 (I like the small Indomie but the vegetables in TummyTummy was so enticing. Lol).

I've also noticed that I was beginning to spend much buying okpa almost every morning. For those who don't know okpa is the major export of Enugu state. Lol. It looks like moimoi but is redder in colour, more delicious and has a better packaging than moimoi. I'm not talking about the tasteless, artificial-coloured okpa some women sell in Onitsha, Aka, Lagos or other cities. You need to eat real Enugu-made village okpa. I'm salivating already. Lol.

So as I was saying. Lol. I had to reduce my consumption of okpa to save money. If you're a beer-drinker, I pity your pocket. That one is even worse. Especially if you're drinking with friends. I easily dodged alcohol and unnecessary socializing so that I won't end up drinking my business money away. Lol. Yet even with my stinginess, I spent about N2,500 on beer during the new year celebrations. Lol.

The worst money-reducer is actually recharge cards. You'd be shocked how much you spend on recharge cards in a month if you monitor and calculate it. I'm trying to recharge with not more than N200 per week. That way at least I'll get 15mb bonus from Etisalat plus another N200 bonus for calls. Airtel is my main network but unfortunately their service is very poor in my village. MTN and Glo services are average here. They've all rushed to cover Agbani and allowed Etisalat to take over my village. It's their loss for neglecting Amurri the future Lagos of Enugu. Lol.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by 1money: 2:30pm On Feb 26, 2016
Well done, God is your strength. I like your story, pls continue.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by bitingcool: 4:45pm On Feb 26, 2016
Wow, you're a courageous man. Few people have the patience to start from scratch. Withh dogged determination and focused planning, you will succeed. Keep it up. God bless your effort. Just remember that you can make it without cheating anyone & be generous to those that deserve and do not deserve it.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 6:15pm On Feb 26, 2016
Wow...I love this...dat okpa part got me laffin....nice one bro
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by spyder880(m): 9:08pm On Feb 26, 2016
John, I have never met you before but you are behaving exactly like me when I was younger. I am also from Nkanu (Nomeh-Unateze) as most people know here.

Send your account number of your bank to me on text to my phone number below and I will send you N10,000.00 (ten thousand naira) to boost your business. I will send this money on Monday as my encouragement to you to keep trying, you will get there, you already have the talents and tenacity in you, the only thing remaining is your big break, keep doing what you are doing, your success is just around the corner.

Jisi ike Nwanne m.

83 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by chidekings(m): 9:31pm On Feb 26, 2016
spyder880:
John, I have never met you before but you are behaving exactly like me when I was younger. I am also from Nkanu (Nomeh-Unateze) as most people know here.

Send your account number of your bank to me on text to my phone number below and I will send you N10,000.00 (ten thousand naira) to boost your business. I will send this money on Monday as my encouragement to you to keep trying, you will get there, you already have the talents and tenacity in you, the only thing remaining is your big break, keep doing what you are doing, your success is just around the corner.

Jisi ike Nwanne m.
my big oga custormer and mentor,God will triple all ur good deeds

11 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by sunsewa: 9:55pm On Feb 26, 2016
My brother ur story really got me rolling some tears,if every Nigerians will be like u,then here will be a safer place,that's when I heard about Portharcourt bank robbery, I said some people are really lazy and bankrupt of ideas,God will remember u,ur on the right track,it is well.

5 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by sonnie10: 3:57am On Feb 27, 2016
spyder880:

Jisi ike Nwanne m.

My chairman, I give you my words, when the time comes (very soon) it will be you or none.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by henrimoto(m): 8:03am On Feb 27, 2016
@Johnngene... welldone. for you to pay #200 (by bus or by bike?) from Amurri to Agbani, It must really be a distance!
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Krucifax(m): 8:59am On Feb 27, 2016
Well done. You are brave and hard working. You are also a positive inspiration to people who want to start their own business. I commend your efforts in moving from Lagos back home in the East to do your business. That's how development will be born in the region.
Slowly but surely if more enterprising youths can follow your foot steps in investing and developing the region we will witness the birth of a new era in the Igboland.
I'd like to contribute the sum of N20,000 to support your venture. It's not a loan and has no conditions it's simply my gift in admiration for you. I'm based in London but can do a transfer. Let me know your preferred method of collection. God bless.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Momcherry(f): 10:38am On Feb 27, 2016
This is why I love my people very humble, hardworking and always ready to help each other.

God bless you Spyder880, Krucifax may your river never run dry.

God bless Igboland.
God bless Nigeria.

24 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 10:34pm On Mar 01, 2016
Wow! Happy new month everyone! I never knew you people are still following my progress and even willing to support me financially. Wow! Thank you sirs and madams!

You can whatsapp me on +234 909 5000 603. Friend me on Facebook www.facebook.com/gwamgwamgwam

I really appreciate your comments. It shows I'm not talking to myself like a madman. Lol. Talking about madness, I walked out of my balcony naked yesterday to receive showers of blessing. Lol. Don't worry. I'm 100% sure nobody saw me. This is the village not your over-populated anya na-afu ukwu na-aga warawara cities. Lol. The rain started around 9pm with a cool wind. It was just as if God decided to save us from the heat before we all roast and turn to suya. Lol.

This rain really helped soften the soil this morning. It was much easier to cultivate. Today is another Eke. So I made sure I went to Eke Agbani market to buy more seeds. I looked for my kind Agbani mama twice but couldn't find her. So I had to go and buy them by myself. I bought more ugu seeds N100, more ewa seeds N100, cucumber seeds N100 and green seeds N100. I'll plant them tomorrow morning. I can't wait to see my vegetable farm growing and growing and growing. Lol.

You people are also welcome to visit the websites I built for my businesses last year (before I actually started). NgeneFarms.com for my agriculture and SUL3.com for my ladies' business. I've not had time to update them at a cybercafe since I got to the East. Chai! I miss browsing for free with my Lagos friend's modem. In short, I miss Lagos too. Lol.

See you all tomorrow. I'll probably plant my seeds in my dreams this night. Farming is somehow sweet o! Very nice way to gym without going to the gym. Lol.

14 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:03pm On Mar 02, 2016
Krucifax:

I'd like to contribute the sum of N20,000 to support your venture. It's not a loan and has no conditions it's simply my gift in admiration for you. I'm based in London but can do a transfer. Let me know your preferred method of collection. God bless.

Good day sir. I would've liked to say "No thank you" but I can use that money to finally roof my village container. Here's my account number:

Please tell me when you see it so that I can delete it from here. I don't want any Dasuki to send N1million into my account before Buhari go dey pursue me. Lol.

31 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:33pm On Mar 02, 2016
That's me inside my small Agbani shop day before yesterday (February 29th). The weather was so hot that day. But since the rain fell that night, it's been a bit cooler. Thank God.

Henrimoto, it's by okada o! It's far but the bad untarred road with no gutters makes the journey farther. I even heard that during the rainy season the okada men will begin to charge as high as N300-N400 depending on how muddled the road gets. That's why I'm making moves to buy a bicycle of about N10,000 before the rainy season begins. A motorcycle would've been better but soup wey sweet na money kill am. Lol. Besides, I thank God I'm still following my cousin on his own okada for now. It's a big advantage.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by spyder880(m): 4:20pm On Mar 02, 2016
Bro Johnny, money sent.

30 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by whirlwind7(m): 4:51pm On Mar 02, 2016
JohnNgene

May fortune smile on you! May you never toil beyond what plans God has in store for you!

I have been very inspired and highly entertained by your narrative. In fact, your style of presentation of this venture of yours is so refreshing.
Keep it up, bro! You are destined for greater things. Never lose focus. I believe your breakthrough is around the corner.

Keep climbing!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by whirlwind7(m): 4:53pm On Mar 02, 2016
spyder880:
Bro Johnny, money sent.

Thank you for encouraging a brother. God bless!

10 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by moshoodn(m): 9:46pm On Mar 02, 2016
All the best John.... All the best.

I like the way you write... matured and cool. Your command of diction is okay and I see that you have a positive attitude.

6 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:20pm On Mar 03, 2016
spyder880:
Bro Johnny, money sent.

Uncle Ken, thank you sir, I got the alert yesterday evening. Chukwu gozie wu. You have given me ten thousand more reasons to succeed. Lol.

25 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:57pm On Mar 03, 2016
I have good news o! Our ugu is sprouting. I was doing my usual morning farm work when I noticed this. I had to poke my finger into the soil a little to check if it was really the ugu or a stubborn weed. Lol.

Thank God. This one is my firstborn ugu. Lol. I'm surprised that it germinated even before the other ones I planted two weeks ago. I had to dig out those ones yesterday to check if they were dead or alive. Two seeds were dead. Ten seeds had grown roots.

I've also planted some of the green and more ewa. I'll plant the cucumber soon.

Is there any other crop you people think I should plant? I want to try only crops that are ready for harvest within three months at most. (Do apples grow in Nigeria? Having an apple tree in my compound go make sense o! Let me go and ask Google. Lol) My cousin suggested corn this morning. He said they eat corn only once a year (around August/September) in this village. Hmmm... I see opportunity. Lol.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 2:07pm On Mar 03, 2016
I promised to do a breakdown earlier, right? Here it is. Let me start with my first business (the Agbani container). Accountants in the house correct me if I'm wrong in my calculations o! Though it's hard for an Igbo man like me to make mistakes in money matters. Lol.

SUL3.com domain + hosting ($19 N220 per dollar as at then) 4,180
Goods 42,000
Transport (approximated) 9,000
Container + showcase 40,000
Rent 30,000
Landlord's drink 1,900
Re-painting 3,000
Fuel (for mixing paints) 250
Painter's refreshment 500
Re-roofing 13,000
Padlocks 1,100
Mirror 500
Binding wire 100
Curtain wire 100
Pins 50
Wall cloth 1,750
Hangers 3,150
Horsetail (for dusting) 200
Polyethylene sheet (for temporary shade from sun) 200
Polyethylene bags 100
January NEPA bill 300
Tailor (for mending) 200

That's a total of N151,580. It was so hard to keep track of my transport expenses (plus the gala, pure water etc associated with it. Lol) while I was buying the ladies' things from market to market and state to state.

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by layzie: 11:10am On Mar 06, 2016
jisike John

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by bigx(m): 12:40pm On Mar 06, 2016
Impressive,

It's wonderful what's being done with the money some people waste.

More Grease

4 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by naijacutee(f): 1:34pm On Mar 06, 2016
John, this is the best thread I've seen on Nairaland this year. I really like the way that you write so clearly - you make the effort to write properly and this is something that many salaried people can't discipline themselves enough to do.

I've got some goods I would like to donate to your shop - a couple of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (£70 each) and Superdry wristwatches (£100). You can sell and reinvest the profits. If you have someone in Lagos who can collect from Satellite town, I can get it ready for you.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by darkenkach(m): 4:56pm On Mar 06, 2016
I celebrate you John. Wish my stupid pride will make me do things like this.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by grandstar(m): 5:59pm On Mar 06, 2016
naijacutee:
John, this is the best thread I've seen on Nairaland this year. I really like the way that you write so clearly - you make the effort to write properly and this is something that many salaried people can't discipline themselves enough to do.

I've got some goods I would like to donate to your shop - a couple of Charles Tyrwhitt shirts (£70 each) and Superdry wristwatches (£100). You can sell and reinvest the profits. If you have someone in Lagos who can collect from Satellite town, I can get it ready for you.

Do the shirts have AC

That amount can buy tokunbo AC
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by naijacutee(f): 6:32pm On Mar 06, 2016
grandstar:

Do the shirts have AC
That amount can buy tokunbo AC

Lol, they don't. But there are some people who buy them for reasons best known to them.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 7:09pm On Mar 06, 2016
naijacutee:

Wow Aunty Naijacutee! I'd really appreciate your donation of goods o! How do I contact you off Nairaland? Are you the lady that sent me a friend request on facebook?

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by AgoraRoad(m): 7:18pm On Mar 06, 2016
Dear Nairalanders,
The aim of this thread is to bring ideas, mentors and potential investors/entrepreneurs together with a view to creating jobs, reducing poverty and creating wealth.
This has become necessary because we have observed that a lot of people have funds but lacked the right investment idea(s) while others have investment information but no funds. Therefore, we want to bring everyone under one roof basically to share investment information and we believe that new partnerships can also be forged in the process.
However, every information or personality should be independently verified before taking any action.
Good people, get the ideas rolling in. Mentors are encouraged to volunteer. Let's make Africa great.
I will make a new user group so only nairalanders will be apart of. here is my website. create an account and comment so i can add you.
Here is the link

http://thebizness.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=43&sid=4bf723bae6a02268fb4f0b86c1512209

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by ewizard1: 7:43pm On Mar 06, 2016
Very nice and inspiring story!

May God bless your striving efforts.

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 9:35pm On Mar 06, 2016
AgoraRoad:
Dear Nairalanders,
The aim of this thread is to bring ideas, mentors and potential investors/entrepreneurs together with a view to creating jobs, reducing poverty and creating wealth.
This has become necessary because we have observed that a lot of people have funds but lacked the right investment idea(s) while others have investment information but no funds. Therefore, we want to bring everyone under one roof basically to share investment information and we believe that new partnerships can also be forged in the process.

I will make a new user group so only nairalanders will be apart of. here is my website. create an account and comment so i can add you.

Dear AgoraRoad, your use of "we" is very mischievous. Please don't take undue advantage of my thread. Thanks.

Dear Nairalanders, beware of derailers! I don't know this AgoraRoad o! I disown him. Lol.

I'll continue my breakdown as soon as Buhari's NEPA decides to Bring Back Our Light. Lol.

22 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Bre(f): 11:44pm On Mar 06, 2016
JohnNgene:

Dear AgoraRoad, your use of "we" is very mischievous. Please don't take undue advantage of my thread. Thanks.

Dear Nairalanders, beware of derailers! I don't know this AgoraRoad o! I disown him. Lol.

I'll continue my breakdown as soon as Buhari's NEPA decides to Bring Back Our Light. Lol.

grin do not worry, the it is very obvious the poster is not affiliated to your captivating prose.

May God continue the good thing he has started in you. You have the well wishes of the vocal and the silent Nairalanders smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

3 Legitimate Online Businesses A Nigerian Can Start In 2017 / GT Bank Lifts Restrictions And Limitations On Its Naira Mastercard / Femi Otedola Meets Kupe9ja, Viral Cerebral Palsy Survivor (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.