Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,784 members, 7,802,434 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:20 PM

From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move (38196 Views)

Reason Why Tax Kills My Business In Nigeria See Solutions To Apply / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Anthony Enukem Tonimas: Champion Of Think Home Philosophy In Igbo Land-photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:39pm On Apr 21, 2016
michymeg:
I suggest you rent out your village container for now, pending when you will get a capable hand that will manage the business for you.

I like this suggestion and have been considering it. My only challenge is how to handle my extended family that allowed me site the container on their land for free. When they find out that I've rented the container out, they might feel cheated. Though I think I could compensate them by paying them a percentage of the rent. Yes, that might work.

Or what about me selling the container for N80,000 (eighty thousand naira)? The N80,000 covers what I spent on building the container, transport, flooring plus profit for making the location a hot cake. Lol. If I should take this second option, the buyer will have to roof it and then pay rent directly to the land-owners while I sell off the goods I've already bought to my friend the Business Prefect. Hmmm...

No! What do you people think? Make una advise me abeg.
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 21, 2016
JohnNgene:

I like this suggestion and have been considering it. My only challenge is how to handle my extended family that allowed me site the container on their land for free. When they find out that I've rented the container out, they might feel cheated. Though I think I could compensate them by paying them a percentage of the rent. Yes, that might work.

Or what about me selling the container for N80,000 (eighty thousand naira)? The N80,000 covers what I spent on building the container, transport, flooring plus profit for making the location a hot cake. Lol. If I should take this second option, the buyer will have to roof it and then pay rent directly to the land-owners while I sell off the goods I've already bought to my friend the Business Prefect. Hmmm...

No! What do you people think? Make una advise me abeg.
Let me give you my two cents. Once you get someone who is interested in renting the container, go to the diokpa that permitted you to use the land and tell him that as result of the stress of your running your clothing business that you can no longer run the village business as well. So instead of leaving the container there to waste that you want to rent it out. His response will determine whether you will bring up the issue of sharing the rent proceeds or not.

Don't sell the container. Renting will pay better in the long run and you need the passive income. Besides the place might become lucrative tomorrow and you may decide to use it. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing that money will from somewhere at the end of the month whether you work or not. No matter how little the money is it can buy you a bucket of beans. My two cents.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by organicfoods(m): 7:48pm On Apr 21, 2016
JohnNgene:
I did some weeding of my vegetable farm this morning. It rains every two or three days now so I don't do watering anymore. I had to change from my usual sleeveless into a longsleeve when I noticed that pishipishi (sun-flies) were devouring my arms. Lol. I might have to find a trouser very soon to protect my legs from them.

The ugu is doing very well. The green on other hand is under serious attack by millipedes/centipedes, caterpillars and grasshoppers. I wanted to use Sniper pesticide to fight the pests but I'm scared that it might poison my vegetables.

As for the cucumber, most of them have wilted and died. So I've replaced them with corn. The egusi is growing. Did you know that cucumber and egusi are crawlers/climbers? I no know before o!
Sniper Ke... Neem oil and dongoyaro leaves will solve the problem.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 10:59am On Apr 22, 2016
michymeg:
Let me give you my two cents. Once you get someone who is interested in renting the container, go to the diokpa that permitted you to use the land and tell him that as result of the stress of your running your clothing business that you can no longer run the village business as well. So instead of leaving the container there to waste that you want to rent it out. His response will determine whether you will bring up the issue of sharing the rent proceeds or not.

Don't sell the container. Renting will pay better in the long run and you need the passive income. Besides the place might become lucrative tomorrow and you may decide to use it. Nothing beats the feeling of knowing that money will from somewhere at the end of the month whether you work or not. No matter how little the money is it can buy you a bucket of beans. My two cents.

Thank you very much. Onye ajuju adighi efu uzo true true. I especially love the way you concluded by mentioning my beloved beans. Lol.

9 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 11:19am On Apr 22, 2016
organicfoods:
Sniper Ke... Neem oil and dongoyaro leaves will solve the problem.

Wow! Thank you. I googled "neem oil"and "dongoyaro leaves" and found out that dongoyaro is the Nigerian name for neem. I asked my cousin and a neighbour where I can find it here in my village. They said it's abundant at a particular secondary school. I'll be going there to get the leaves and fruit as soon as possible. I'll make sure I plant it in my compound so that wetin I dey find for Sokoto go dey my shokoto forever. Lol.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 11:59am On Apr 22, 2016
JohnNgene:

Thank you very much. Onye ajuju adighi efu uzo true true. I especially love the way you concluded by mentioning my beloved beans. Lol.
You are welcome.

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 12:00pm On Apr 22, 2016
Meanwhile, I invite all of you to join the discussion on my latest thread "How to Stop the Herdsmen vs Farmers War" https://www.nairaland.com/3059133/how-stop-herdsmen-vs-farmers

I've been so bothered by the Fulani herdsmen issue. It affects me now that I'm a rural-dweller. The last time my father was around he lamented that the Fulani are now grazing near our family compound. Sighs.

Imagine running away from Boko Haram in the North, or leaving the South-West as I did, only to be killed by Fulani herdsmen in my own village. God forbid!

Yesterday, I heard that one man from Amurri (my village) who sells beef at Eke Agbani market was shot and robbed by Fulani herdsmen. They allegedly called him to come to a certain location to buy a cow. When he came, the Fulani herdsman pulled a gun. The Amurri man struggled with him but was overpowered by two other Fulani herdsmen who stabbed him. He was eventually shot and they disappeared with his cash. Thank God he didn't die. I hear he's in a hospital receiving treatment now. God help us.

Please join me there https://www.nairaland.com/3059133/how-stop-herdsmen-vs-farmers let's brainstorm on solutions to this worsening problem.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by whirlwind7(m): 1:27pm On Apr 22, 2016
JohnNgene:

Imagine running away from Boko Haram in the North, or leaving the South-West as I did, only to be killed by Fulani herdsmen in my own village. God forbid!

Yesterday, I heard that one man from Amurri (my village) who sells beef at Eke Agbani market was shot and robbed by Fulani herdsmen. They allegedly called him to come to a certain location to buy a cow. When he came, the Fulani herdsman pulled a gun. The Amurri man struggled with him but was overpowered by two other Fulani herdsmen who stabbed him. He was eventually shot and they disappeared with his cash. Thank God he didn't die. I hear he's in a hospital receiving treatment now. God help us.

Please join me there https://www.nairaland.com/3059133/how-stop-herdsmen-vs-farmers let's brainstorm on solutions to this worsening problem.

Imagine that sentence in bold. Such is the state of that country that nothing makes sense anymore.

One thing I absolutely believe is that the increased spate of these Fulani herdsmen attack is planned. These are not mere isolated incidents. I think the reason is to make people in the south give in to the proposed grazing bill, hoping that the killings, robbery and kidnap will let up.
But then, only slowpokes will support any bill that will forcefully take lands from people in the south who had very little landmass to begin with, and give it to cattlemen from the north, who own the largest portion of land in the country.

Only a slowpoke will believe that giving lands in the south to herdsmen will bring the menace of these Fulanis to an end, when in fact, that is the first step in their plan to conquer and dominate people of the south, by waging jihad and forcing their religion on them. Have you ever seen this people live peacefully with other tribes? Their lifestyle has seen them become the poorest in the land, now they need to spread the disease south wards.
It's all good to brainstorm here, but what good is it going to achieve? There is no listening government. Even if they do hear, they will never act on it, if it doesn't help them in their agenda. Their ultimate agenda of dipping their koran in the Atlantic Ocean as admonished by Usman Dan Fodio. Give them an inch, and they will have a mile of your land. Next, your wives and your daughters becomes their sex slaves.

You don't have to believe me. Go ask the people of Plateau, Taraba, Nasarawa and Benue.
By the way, you shouldn't have mentioned this other thread here, lest it derails what this one was created for.

8 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by kentochi(m): 4:09pm On Apr 22, 2016
Wow! Good business man I must say May God bless your hand work and all that support one way or the order.

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by jefy(m): 5:06pm On Apr 22, 2016
Am yet to get your reply on fb!
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 9:46pm On Apr 22, 2016
Guess what everyone. A darling Nairalander came visiting at my shop today. I was so happy to meet her. Anybody wey go fit guess her Nairaland identity, I go dash the person something. Lol.

Jefy, sorry for the late reply o! Facebook hid your message in the "message requests" folder because you probably sent the message before I accepted your friend request.

13 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by organicfoods(m): 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2016
JohnNgene:

Wow! Thank you. I googled "neem oil"and "dongoyaro leaves" and found out that dongoyaro is the Nigerian name for neem. I asked my cousin and a neighbour where I can find it here in my village. They said it's abundant at a particular secondary school. I'll be going there to get the leaves and fruit as soon as possible. I'll make sure I plant it in my compound so that wetin I dey find for Sokoto go dey my shokoto forever. Lol.
Cut and pound the leaves and soaked for 7 days. Sieve and use the water as insecticides.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by jefy(m): 10:18pm On Apr 22, 2016
Thanks man,i just saw your reply on fb
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by whirlwind7(m): 6:26am On Apr 23, 2016
JohnNgene:
Guess what everyone. A darling Nairalander came visiting at my shop today. I was so happy to meet her. Anybody wey go fit guess her Nairaland identity, I go dash the person something. Lol.

I think the two of you will make a cute couple kiss kiss kiss

13 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 9:44am On Apr 23, 2016
whirlwind7:

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by OCTAVO: 12:36pm On Apr 23, 2016
whirlwind7:

They look alike sef. wink

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by freshdude99(m): 1:14pm On Apr 23, 2016
Baroba:
John Nwa Ngene, you are a real gem, your passion and determination to succeed in a country that can easily break you has not gone unnoticed.. Picture of you sitting in that container equally moved me plus your Ugu farm.. May God continue to bless you bro..

Please be weary of those hungry extortionist parading themselves in Enugu as government officials, My family had numerous run ins with these crooks, but we showed them pepper. Always seek advice before making payment to anyone, If not ; you will have different shades of criminals linning up to collect their own "share". Never ever be intimidated by anyone, " Enugu ada azukwa ndi ngbu"...

As your business grows, consider Tinyemeka's advice on ventures such fish farming, even rearing grasscutters.. Knowing how Ndigbo love grasscutter meat, i will like to see a young man that will be brave enough to rear them on the same scale as a poultry farm, You sabi say 042 bu obodo ndi na Aku kpoli grin.Equally, diaspora Igbo's are always hunting for places to buy Bush meat during Xmas, plus ndi hotel and joints..If you know me am against hunting and depleting wildlife for food, so farming them will be a welcomed alternative for conservationist like me cool, If that your cousin that maimed and killed a civet cat with his medieval trap was farming nchi he might not need his traps anymore grin...Anyway, I have a beautiful easy and straight to the point PDF on grasscutter rearing I got from a dutch agro research firm online, am quite happy to send it to you if you are interested..

Please accept my 10k transfer contribution to this amazing journey you have started, as Nwa 042, like Zoro said in Ogene, " aburo m onye obia" born and bred, I use to come to Agbani back in the day for early saturday morning fresh Pammy and anu nchi at Alufuoaku joint all the way from Trans with my boys, but I call Eke na UDI home, though I haven't been back for three years.. My cousin is even married to Nwa chief unu, Unateze Narra Igwe Ogbucheesy, story for another day..

Apologies for the long epistle and going off topic atimes.. I will stop by whenever I enter 042..Jisike

I will hit you up on whatsapp..udo

Nice write nwanne, pls kindly send me the pdf on grass cutter rearing on my email : aerkitect@gmail.com
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by freshdude99(m): 1:44pm On Apr 23, 2016
Very very nice and inspiring write. You the future Chinua Achebe. The sweet way u write is nothing different from that epic story of okonkwo in "things fall apart".

Thumbs up

4 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by jamanuka: 11:40pm On Apr 24, 2016
Nwanne, ije gi adiro mfe...Chukwu gozie aka olu gi ...Aka aja aja ah ga ebutariri onu mmanu mmanu

Shalom!
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Baroba(m): 3:07am On Apr 25, 2016
freshdude99:

Nice write nwanne, pls kindly send me the pdf on grass cutter rearing on my email : aerkitect@gmail.com

Thanks bro, check your e mail..
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Jesusbaby6(f): 6:32am On Apr 25, 2016
Baroba:

Please sir can you also send me the grasscutter materials

Fortuneconsortium@yahoo.com
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by freshdude99(m): 7:11am On Apr 25, 2016
Baroba:

Seen it bro, thanks alot
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Baroba(m): 9:20am On Apr 25, 2016
Jesusbaby6:

Please sir can you also send me the grasscutter materials

Fortuneconsortium@yahoo.com

Sent
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by kentochi(m): 9:24am On Apr 25, 2016
Baroba:

Sent
Thanks
Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Jesusbaby6(f): 10:35am On Apr 25, 2016
Baroba:

Sent

Thanks

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 25, 2016
You guys should pm the dude. Stop derailing somebody's thread

4 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 9:33pm On Apr 26, 2016
organicfoods:
Cut and pound the leaves and soaked for 7 days. Sieve and use the water as insecticides.

Thank you so much for your guidance sir.

I finally got the dongoyaro leaves and fruits yesterday. I begged my neighbour to get it for me from her secondary school. She happily agreed. Though she insists I'm owing her Christmas, New Year, Valentine and Easter gifts. Lol.

I plucked off the leaves and pounded them this morning. E no easy to pound leaves o! Lol. Afterwards, I put it in a small container and poured in water for it to soak. I'll use it in the next seven days (May 3rd). Meanwhile, the pests devouring my green won't wait till seven days. So I decided to scatter some of the dry dongoyaro leaves on my farm for now.

Don't worry. You'll all get to see the pictures as soon as I get another free 15mb when next I recharge. Lol.

Business has been slow this week. No sales yesterday and today. Sighs. Tomorrow must compensate me with mega sales. Amen.

6 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by creationxt(m): 10:50am On Apr 28, 2016
Jisike my brother. God will see you through in Jesus name Amen

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 2:16pm On Apr 29, 2016
BobUg28:

There's one other area I 'd like to chip in some advice__thats your customers! They are the ones who are in the position to determine how fast your business will grow. You have to take them very serious, when I say serious I mean very serious. Never joke with them to the point of loosing them. See if you can get their numbers, try calling or sending them sms once in a while, just to register that sense of self-importance and the feeling of some-one-actually-cares-for me. In a null shell, TAKE YOUR CUSTOMERS VERY SERIOUS!

Thank you for your advice Chief Bob. I no dey joke with my money o! Yes, my customers are my money. Lol.

As for getting their numbers, I've noticed that some of them tend to think that I'm trying to cross into the romantic territory when I ask for their number. Lol. In this women-focused business, a man needs to be skilled in flirting with and flattering his customers without offending them.

In order to keep my customers, I even started giving them gifts when they buy from my shop for the third time. It's just little cheap gifts o! So that some ladies here no go come my shop dey expect android phone as gift. Lol.

Although I did something slightly extra yesterday. I gave one of my customers a plate of raw abacha, half painter of garri and three mangos as gift. I took it to her room alongside the clothes I wanted to show her. This particular customer works near my shop and never has time to visit my shop during her working hours (8am to 8pm). She called me to ask me about a jeggings she'd seen the previous day. I went to her house with that jeggings, a jumpsuit, a top and some other trousers. She ended up buying five items instead of one. All this with the money she said she'd already budgeted for gas. She sef come dey wonder whether na Amurri juju I use confuse am. Lol.

Customers are not always that cooperative. Some will come to my shop, test almost all my clothes and leave promising to return some other time. I have no choice but to keep smiling and hoping that they'll actually return. Most times, they do anyway. I thank God.

Others will pick three items, of say N1,000 each, bargain to buy it N800 each. That's totaling N2,400 but will then mischievously hand me N2,000. Women eh! Trust me, I go hold them until them give me my remaining N400. Lol.

Few will pretend to leave or actually walk away, expecting me to call them back. Then come back five to fifteen minutes later to collect their desired clothes. Women! Lol.

As you all can see, it's an interesting business filled with endless drama. Lol.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by jefy(m): 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2016
For the number issue,its easy. Just get your printer to print receipts for you,customer number should be included..large purchase should attract receipt issuance and there and then you start piling up your customer contact directory for future use and publicity of your business.

6 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by JohnNgene: 1:11pm On May 01, 2016
Guess who came visiting yesterday. No! Not another Nairalander. Lol. He's a special guest of honour, a V.I.P and my brother from another mother. Yes! The one and only friend who lent me money.

He came with his wife to Enugu yesterday. They were originally coming for the traditional marriage ceremony of his colleague at Ugwu Obe near Agbani. Of course, they can't come to Enugu without visiting me. So they'd planned to pay me a surprise visit after attending the occasion but their surprise was ruined when they realised that they've never been to Agbani before and had to call me for to ask for directions. Lol.

Yesterday was also his birthday. So I was so happy to be hosting my friend on his special day. I showed them my shop, my new room and then we went to my village. They've seen my village container, my vegetables, my father and this his big house. Lol. My father also came home yesterday for a very big burial of a very rich man's mother. It's been so much fun.

They were supposed to leave today but my friend's wife insists they spend their honeymoon here in Amurri. She says what they've spent so far at her husband's village and at their home in Lagos respectively are family-moon and yard-moon. Lol. Funny her.

She also gave me a suggestion few hours ago when I was showing them the goods I'd already bought for the village container.

Her: You can sell these things in Agbani o!
Me: But there's no space there na
Her: You can just buy a small plastic basket, put these goods inside and drop it on top of your showcase. It won't take space.
Me: Hmmm... It's true o!
My friend: Do you have a small tv?
Me: Yes. It's in the village container.
Her: He doesn't even need a tv for now.
My friend: What about if customers want to test the dvds?
Her: Ok. Just construct a small place to hang it at the top of that Agbani shop.
Me: Or I can even keep it in my Agbani room and take customers there if they want to test the cd or dvds.

Hmmm... I'm still considering this her suggestion o! Especially as the village business is still yet to take off. What do you people think?

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Igbo Land: My Business Move by Phizzlephizz(m): 5:15pm On May 01, 2016
Baroba:

Sir i'll be needing the grasscutter pdf file too
Femiumeh@yahoo.com thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Femi Otedola Meets Kupe9ja, Viral Cerebral Palsy Survivor (Photo) / Photo Of A University Graduate Selling Moimoi (pic) / Access Bank Denies Sacking 75% Of Workforce, Closing Branches

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.