Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,372 members, 7,808,297 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. (27717 Views)

How Buhari Can Crash The Dollar/naira Disparity- Ifeanyi Ubah / Naira Strengthens Against The Dollar As Bdc Intervention Goes On / Who Is Behind Naira Slide? Abdulsamad Rabiu (BUA) And Ifeanyi Ubah Have Answers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by gemale(m): 11:25pm On Feb 21, 2016
i'm very guilty of this. currently wearing my dolce & gabbana t shirt (italy), nike 3 quater shorts (US), unbranded rubber flip flops (probably made in nigeria) typing on my toshiba laptop (japan).

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by mrphate(m): 11:33pm On Feb 21, 2016
i agree with you OP but did you ever think about it this way?....how many consumable commodities do we produce here in Nigeria and if we are to consume made in Nigeria products (I.e phones) how many manufacturers do we have here. in my view let's get this manufacturers come over and invest here so we can consume directly without importing. you don't jez make policies with making alternative provisions. i am only tryna b brief. even the agricultural produce have the government made provision for storage n processing?
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Codyt(m): 11:41pm On Feb 21, 2016
You've said well. But can't blame us though. The major reason why some Nigerians opt to buy foreign goods is durability. If only Nigerian marketers can stop producing fake/substandard products. Mak I no lie people will buy. We still have a lot to learn.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Weedcrusher: 12:02am On Feb 22, 2016
DashMeYansh:

Bruh, use yo Brains, you don't have to quote everything just to type 4 letters.

Munching on some wrigglys gum(USA) while playing on my PS4(JAPAN)...Assassins Creed Blackflag(CANADA), while listening to Work by Rihanna(USA) on my Beats solo2s(USA) while playing with an Addidas soccer ball(GERMANY). On the background my Samsung TV is paused(S/KOREA) while I type on my HTC M9(Taiwan)

*YAWNS* I have sweatshirts and sweatpants on but I don't know the country...my underwear briefs...Calvein Klein is most definitely AMERICAN.

I have no idea why I just typed this cus its obvious I have nothing to say...
PEACE

grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Weedcrusher: 12:06am On Feb 22, 2016
DashMeYansh:

Munching on some wrigglys gum(USA) while playing on my PS4(JAPAN)...Assassins Creed Blackflag(CANADA), while listening to Work by Rihanna(USA) on my Beats solo2s(USA) while playing with an Addidas soccer ball(GERMANY). On the background my Samsung TV is paused(S/KOREA) while I type on my HTC M9(Taiwan)

*YAWNS* I have sweatshirts and sweatpants on but I don't know the country...my underwear briefs...Calvein Klein is most definitely AMERICAN.

I have no idea why I just typed this cus its obvious I have nothing to say...
PEACE

cool

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Ugosample(m): 12:16am On Feb 22, 2016
I hope you know that Nigeria cannot produce ALL it needs.
We can only cut down.
Let us produce what we have comparative advantage in. The ones we have no hope of having comparative advantage in, we have to import.
Importation of good items and petroleum products are the two things killing the country. Reducing operation of each by 60% will go a long way in saving the naira.

Lastly, profligacy must end.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Mike008(m): 12:38am On Feb 22, 2016
If no be made in Taiwan phone I for no fit view this post o.

Then wetin we go do na?

Maybe its a blessing Nigeria is still a 3rd world country. Upgrading to state-of-the-art will mean making use of more Made In Taiwans, US...
From this point let's go back to the roots.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by biookuta(m): 2:01am On Feb 22, 2016
nice 1 dis wat Nigerian need to knw cos if possible some ppl can even importing d sand for der building
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by kingthreat(m): 3:43am On Feb 22, 2016
coachwilcox:
Mr David Ahmed Okoro started the day early, having set his alarm clock (MADE IN FINLAND) for 6am. While his teapot (MADE IN CHINA) was perking, he shaved with his clipper (MADE IN HONG KONG). He put on his shirt (MADE IN THE UK), and designer jeans (MADE IN ITALY) and shoes (MADE IN THE USA).

After cooking his breakfast in his new electric cooker (MADE IN INDIA) he sat down with his calculator (MADE IN MEXICO) to see how much he could spend today. After setting his wristwatch (MADE IN TAIWAN) to his radio (MADE IN VIETNAM) he got in his car (MADE IN GERMANY) filled with petrol imported from (SAUDI ARABIA) and continued his search for a good paying NIGERIAN job...

At the end of yet another discouraging and fruitless day checking his computer (MADE IN MALAYSIA), Mr David Ahmed Okoro decided to relax for a while. He put on his slippers (MADE IN BRAZIL) poured himself a glass of wine (MADE IN SOUTH AFRICA), while fiddling with his mobile phone (MADE IN SOUTH KOREA), and then wondered why he cant find a good paying job in... NIGERIA.

He felt achy and sore in his left kneel, he decided to take one tablet of his TRAMADOL TABLETS (MADE IN BANGLADESH) to relieve the pain. Lying down on his bed and wondering why NIGERIAN External Foreign Reserve has depleted to under $ 28billion which has translated to free fall depreciation of Nigerian NAIRA to US DOLLAR at PARALLEL MARKET.......

Fellow Nigerians, let's us start producing, let us start buying made in NIGERIA goods If our economy is to grow and create better jobs.

How can a country like Nigeria be importing toothpick, cutting bud, cotton wool, matches, rubber band e.t.c? And we complain at d same time that there is no jobs for our teeming youths?

The situation is even pathetic now when you see Nigerians ( in Lagos) prefer Cotonou garri to that of Ijebu, buy cotonou pineapple and they say it is better than that of Nigeria. That is why frozen foods will be exported to Cotonou from farms like that of obasanjo repacked and imported back to Nigeria because they know Nigerians always prefer made in outside Nigeria goods .
That is why you will see an expatriate renumeration will be juicy than that of his Nigeria counterpart even if that Nigerian is more certificated than d expatriate ( This also happen in government parastatals).

Any nation that import majorly foreign made goods/ services rather than producing their own are hurting its people....

When we keep importing foreign made products into Nigeria, we keep importing poverty into our country and exporting jobs abroad...

Let's go back to the land to grow and patronise MADE IN NIGERIA products...

PLEASE SHARE FREELY TO ENLIGHTEN ALL NIGERIANS.

What made in Nigeria product is reliable. Forget being patriotic. Answer the freaking question

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by danot1030: 5:30am On Feb 22, 2016
And at the end they blame Buhari for the fall in naira. Op thank you and God bless you for this crusade.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by miksonics(m): 5:45am On Feb 22, 2016
No Electricity no made in Nigeria goods, its too expensive to produce anything here, when you produce anything for export no country would buy your goods because its far expensive and a competitive good of same value, No industrial bank loan without "know man, know man", multiple taxation at all levels of government, high bank interest rate, corruption and other vices, for instance the made in Nigeria electrical copper cable is the best and strongest but very expensive to locals because of high cost of production. If the government get it right everything would be right.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by davidif: 6:45am On Feb 22, 2016
Another article based in nativist sentiment rather than economic logic.

Typical of Nigerians to always blame the victim (in this case, the citizens).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by solja01(m): 6:48am On Feb 22, 2016
Yehman:
If Buhari is serious with his chanji, they should do something about power ASAP then every other thing comes in place.
If some of existing companies should expose how much they spend on power alone, you begin to wonder what then happens to their profit?
Where is the money to make power supply stable? The past governments should have improved on this issues when our crude still held value... They just compounded the situation of this country by looting the treasury.. Yet all we do is blame Buhari and his CHANGE theme, forgetting that the way to generate money to fix this country is no more (Crude oil).

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by davidif: 6:52am On Feb 22, 2016
mrphate:
i agree with you OP but did you ever think about it this way?....how many consumable commodities do we produce here in Nigeria and if we are to consume made in Nigeria products (I.e phones) how many manufacturers do we have here. in my view let's get this manufacturers come over and invest here so we can consume directly without importing. you don't jez make policies with making alternative provisions. i am only tryna b brief. even the agricultural produce have the government made provision for storage n processing?

Why would a manufacturer come to a country where it is sooooo difficult to run a successful business?

Have you even bothered to even ask Virgin why they left Nigeria or those Zimbabwean farmers that came to Kwara some years ago.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by davidif: 6:56am On Feb 22, 2016
D33VA:
The way everybody is now forming as if people where avoiding Nigerian goods cause of foolishness is now getting anoying.

I am a proud Nigerian, and i want my country to be great. I also want good value for my products and high safety standards ( the 'my pikin' drug saga still scares me where Nigerian drugs are concerned). A Lot of the makers of Nigerian products are looking out for money alone.

Ever boarded arik and been left waiting for over 5 hours with no xplanation or apology? bought a 'made in nigeria' meat pie with roaches? Or an aba dress that whose seams fall apart as soon as you leave the store and the store person insulting your lineage when you complain? What about aba electric fans that only work with pen prodding?

My point is, let us stop attacking Nigerian populace, we want value for our money. Rather direct all these to the nigerian companies so that they would produce quality products and weed out the fakes almost themselves, who no like betta?

May God bless you my sister. Nigerians like blaming victims too much.

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by davidif: 7:05am On Feb 22, 2016
gemale:
i'm very guilty of this. currently wearing my dolce & gabbana t shirt (italy), nike 3 quater shorts (US), unbranded rubber flip flops (probably made in nigeria) typing on my toshiba laptop (japan).

My sister don't mind the OP jare, he is just victim blaming.

Economics teaches us that most consumers are rational and that they would most likely seek out a superior product if they can afford it. That is why companies realize that in order to break into a market, they have to deliever a product that is of comparable quality (if not better) to their competitors at reasonable prices if not, they might struggle for market share and not remain in business for too long.

So don't let the OP make you feel guilty about wearing your Dulce & Gabbana you are simply a rational consumer. After all, who goes ahead to buy an inferior product when they can afford a better quality.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by abushman: 7:07am On Feb 22, 2016
CallMeOO7:

Sentiments wouldn't let you use your brain

like u are using yours abi...rubbish!!
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by davidif: 7:17am On Feb 22, 2016
coachwilcox:

I will give you a simple analogy. Dunlop produces tires in Naija. Someone sources forex from cbn to import used tires. Therefore, because the used ones are cheaper than Dunlop, it's difficult to increase production a and demand is low for Dunlop. Then they fold up.

When we are forced to be self reliant, the options we have which will be our only option will drive demand and reduce cost for Dunlop.

Your write up is simply nativist or nationalistic sentiment with little economic logic.

You see, one thing economics teaches us is that most consumers are rational and would rather buy a product of superior quality if they can afford it. That is why companies realize that in order to break into a market, they have to deliever a product that is of comparable quality (if not better) to their competitors at reasonable prices if not, they might struggle for market share and not remain in business for too long.

So abeg stop with the victim blaming and tell the leaders to focus on making the country easy to run a business.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Yehman(m): 8:01am On Feb 22, 2016
solja01:
Where is the money to make power supply stable? The past governments should have improved on this issues when our crude still held value... They just compounded the situation of this country by looting the treasury.. Yet all we do is blame Buhari and his CHANGE theme, forgetting that the way to generate money to fix this country is no more (Crude oil).
I'm ashamed that a supposed young leader like u could come here and type a poo like this. Well, I guess u might have been deceived by the seeming veracious but totally hocus pocus impression that they (the so called change agents) met an empty treasury. A country where lies, propaganda and deceit have become the other of the day. Me and u are fully aware of the budget saga. How it got missing, then later it was found and bla bla bla...A country where there is no money but...
* Presidency proposed to spend N904,015,000 for the acquisition of brand new automobile fleet?
*Ministry of Communication Technology proposed N585,000,000 for the purchase of chairs and N415,500,000 for the purchase of tables. My brother, the table are they made of gold?
*The general renovation of Aso Rock Guest House was proposed to cost N387,980,200, just as furnishing the rooms in the Guest House was put at N45million. Who is fooling who?
*Approximately 800million was budgeted for Aso rock medical center and yet none of them goes there for treatment.
Curiously, the presidency also proposed to spend N322,421,971 to link a cable to the drivers’ restroom at the presidential villa. Another N213,873,953 was proposed for linking of a cable from Guest House through generator house to the gate and N618,604,265 for the installation of electrical lighting and fittings at the villa, N371,733,964 for the installation of electrical distribution boards and other cables. In fact, I will suggest you take A revisit to 2016 budget, a.k.a #BudgetOfCorruption cos if I should continue I might run out of cyberspace.
*Remind me again how much was spent for the maintenance of presidential private jet?
Nigerians, where have your senses gone to? If the APC are not ready to work like their counterpart criminals (PDP) then, they should stop heralding change and apportioning blames to anybody. Enough of all this shit!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by victme1(m): 8:14am On Feb 22, 2016
MA guy!!! you Make sense,

1 Like

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Yehman(m): 9:01am On Feb 22, 2016
victme1:
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Yehman(m): 9:01am On Feb 22, 2016
victme1:
But dats just the plain truth
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 22, 2016
USA is known majorly for producing cosmetics and make up, every other thing is made in China for USA yet their dollar still has value. Nigeria didnt start importing today, so why does our money keep loosing its value daily?
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Nobody: 9:41am On Feb 22, 2016
Adedsbeads:
USA is known majorly for producing cosmetics and make up, every other thing is made in China for USA yet their dollar still has value. Nigeria didnt start importing today, so why does our money keep loosing its value daily?

You know nothing about economics. 70% of Fortune 500 companies are owned by America. They just take the manufacturing to China for cheap labor. It is all about profits and not about Made in China or America because the US. retains the patent
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by gemale(m): 1:19pm On Feb 22, 2016
davidif:

My sister don't mind the OP jare, he is just victim blaming.

Economics teaches us that most consumers are rational and that they would most likely seek out a superior product if they can afford it. That is why companies realize that in order to break into a market, they have to deliever a product that is of comparable quality (if not better) to their competitors at reasonable prices if not, they might struggle for market share and not remain in business for too long.

So don't let the OP make you feel guilty about wearing your Dulce & Gabbana you are simply a rational consumer. After all, who goes ahead to buy an inferior product when they can afford a better quality.
i'm a guy o.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by solja01(m): 3:32pm On Feb 22, 2016
Yehman:

I'm ashamed that a supposed young leader like u could come here and type a poo like this. Well, I guess u might have been deceived by the seeming veracious but totally hocus pocus impression that they (the so called change agents) met an empty treasury. A country where lies, propaganda and deceit have become the other of the day. Me and u are fully aware of the budget saga. How it got missing, then later it was found and bla bla bla...A country where there is no money but...
* Presidency proposed to spend N904,015,000 for the acquisition of brand new automobile fleet?
*Ministry of Communication Technology proposed N585,000,000 for the purchase of chairs and N415,500,000 for the purchase of tables. My brother, the table are they made of gold?
*The general renovation of Aso Rock Guest House was proposed to cost N387,980,200, just as furnishing the rooms in the Guest House was put at N45million. Who is fooling who?
*Approximately 800million was budgeted for Aso rock medical center and yet none of them goes there for treatment.
Curiously, the presidency also proposed to spend N322,421,971 to link a cable to the drivers’ restroom at the presidential villa. Another N213,873,953 was proposed for linking of a cable from Guest House through generator house to the gate and N618,604,265 for the installation of electrical lighting and fittings at the villa, N371,733,964 for the installation of electrical distribution boards and other cables. In fact, I will suggest you take A revisit to 2016 budget, a.k.a #BudgetOfCorruption cos if I should continue I might run out of cyberspace.
*Remind me again how much was spent for the maintenance of presidential private jet?
Nigerians, where have your senses gone to? If the APC are not ready to work like their counterpart criminals (PDP) then, they should stop heralding change and apportioning blames to anybody. Enough of all this shit!
Thanks Yehman for the criticism and for quoting the poo I wrote. I sometimes pity the way people like you think and criticize other peoples write up, going into details of the budget or how it went missing is what most if not every young Nigerian knows... In your wisdom and intelligent write up, you said the president 'proposed' ( put forward (a plan or suggestion) for consideration by
others) to spend the aforementioned figures in your write-up. This budget will pass through the senate before approval (I stand to be corrected). The issue of instability of power should have been a thing of the past in Nigeria by now, that's my point and you and I know that the only way to generate wealth for the country is dwindling.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Yehman(m): 7:48pm On Feb 22, 2016
solja01:
Thanks Yehman for the criticism and for quoting the poo I wrote. I sometimes pity the way people like you think and criticize other peoples write up, going into details of the budget or how it went missing is what most if not every young Nigerian knows... In your wisdom and intelligent write up, you said the president 'proposed' ( put forward (a plan or suggestion) for consideration by
others) to spend the aforementioned figures in your write-up. This budget will pass through the senate before approval (I stand to be corrected). The issue of instability of power should have been a thing of the past in Nigeria by now, that's my point and you and I know that the only way to generate wealth for the country is dwindling.
Thanks! But, I hope u got my points clear.
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by gbrown(m): 12:49pm On Feb 24, 2016
kilode100:

Is it 1dollar to 1naira already??..
Yawns*
enemy of progress how market? The strongmen holding this nation captive are beginning to confess, dollars is now #310
Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by kilode100(f): 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
gbrown:

enemy of progress how market? The strongmen holding this nation captive are beginning to confess, dollars is now #310

It's 1$ to 1n or nothing... tongue

12 Likes

Re: The Typical Nigerian Attitude To Foreign Goods And The Dollar Slide. by Felixv: 10:35pm On Sep 25, 2016
I did actually try to stick to Nigerian brewed 'drinks' on my recent trip home,and it worked most of the time, as I was happy to down a couple of bottles of star many nights (@1200 a bottle I actually thought it was over-priced),mind you, one establishment even charged 2500 for the drink.
Now come friday night at the place in GRA Ikeja -no star.
Apparently they only sold bottles of whisky,vodka,cognac,moet, etc -I politely asked the bartender, if they, by any chance sold the made in nigeria star,all I got was the cold shoulder.

I looked around me, and noticed that on each table were bottles of ciroc,hennessey,moet -not once did I notice a Nigerian brewed drink.

So,lets forget the fancy shoes,jeans,hairdo (Brazilian or Japanese for our beloved sisters),tv,computer,smartphones,suits,cars,bikes and the list goes on and on.....Someone should tell those morons who run bars,lounges etc that every country on earth promotes their own brew.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Help! Money Keeps Disappearing! / Top 5 Strategies Millionaire Entrepreneur Use To Make Money Online / Nigerian Traders Attacked By Ghanaians In Kumasi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.