Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,758 members, 7,798,532 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With (2176 Views)

Resources For Algorithms And Data Structure / I Need Help On Learning Data Structure / Pls Programmers Help With Similarities Of Pseudocode & Algorithm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 11:44pm On Feb 22, 2016
Pls I need a God sent. God pls send me one. I need to learn this thing. I have the brain for this really. I can solve complex Matrix problems, I can handle complex Laplace Transform with ease, but when it comes to Data structure and Algorithm, I'm a Dundee.

Please guys, any language with do preferably, Java or PHP.

Thank you very much.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by nenergy(m): 12:56am On Feb 23, 2016
GetAvenue:
Pls I need a God sent. God pls send me one. I need to learn this thing. I have the brain for this really. I can solve complex Matrix problems, I can handle complex Laplace Transform with ease, but when it comes to Data structure and Algorithm, I'm a Dundee.

Thank you very much. My WhatsApp contact is 08138249630
Google, YouTube videos and specialized forums are your best pals.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 23, 2016
nenergy:
Google, YouTube videos and specialized forums are your best pals.
I don't even know where to start.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by nenergy(m): 8:54am On Feb 23, 2016
GetAvenue:

I don't even know where to start.
I learnt blog creation, basic HTML editing and domain purchase/ hosting by reading materials from websites and forums and watching YouTube videos. One guy became a good motor mechanic by wathing vdeos. Yes, you can...if you're really interested. See my blog: www.thejobseekerscreed.com
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by asalimpo(m): 8:56am On Feb 23, 2016
Buy an introductory book and start from there. E.g data structures in javascript, or in java . Then move on from there to more rigorous books like the art of computer programming, introduction to algorithms.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 23, 2016
asalimpo:
Buy an introductory book and start from there. E.g data structures in javascript, or in java . Then move on from there to more rigorous books like the art of computer programming, introduction to algorithms.

Can you recommend any?
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by asalimpo(m): 9:49am On Feb 23, 2016
GetAvenue:

Can you recommend any?
in java: algorithms and data structures in java. Algorithms and data structures in javascript.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 23, 2016
asalimpo:
in java: algorithms and data structures in java. Algorithms and data structures in javascript.
is Data Structure and Algorithm Made Easy by Narasimha Karumanchi okay.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by asalimpo(m): 10:42am On Feb 23, 2016
GetAvenue:

is Data Structure and Algorithm Made Easy by Narasimha Karumanchi okay.
i've never tried it.
Try it and learn from your mistakes. That's how i learned.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Naijaepic: 7:41pm On Feb 23, 2016
For a fast-tracking approaches to achieve your aims. Get good materials on algorithm and python language

GetAvenue:

Thank you very much. My WhatsApp contact is 08138249630
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 23, 2016
nenergy:

I learnt blog creation, basic HTML editing and domain purchase/ hosting by reading materials from websites and forums and watching YouTube videos. One guy became a good motor mechanic by wathing vdeos. Yes, you can.
My brother is an excellent programmer by just watching youtube videos and going to programming tutorial websites. I am also a newbie learning too

1 Like

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by airsaylongcon: 11:30pm On Feb 23, 2016
OP, you first need to disabuse your mind about learning data structures and algorithm in a specific language. The course is about learning concepts, how they work and when best to deploy them. I scored 92% in this course in 300L and when I was in 400 the instructor referred people to me for extra murals. I would say first learn the data structures, queues, stacks etc and how to implement them using arrays and linked lists. Then also understand the algorithms particularly searching and sorting algorithms, how they work on an abstract level. Don't get bugged in the nitty gritty details of how to implement them in a specific language. When you understand how they work and when best to deploy whatever structure or algorithm then you can bother yourself with actually implementing them in a specific language. I will recommend some books later. Just mention me
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 10:32am On Feb 25, 2016
airsaylongcon:
OP, you first need to disabuse your mind about learning data structures and algorithm in a specific language. The course is about learning concepts, how they work and when best to deploy them. I scored 92% in this course in 300L and when I was in 400 the instructor referred people to me for extra murals. I would say first learn the data structures, queues, stacks etc and how to implement them using arrays and linked lists. Then also understand the algorithms particularly searching and sorting algorithms, how they work on an abstract level. Don't get bugged in the nitty gritty details of how to implement them in a specific language. When you understand how they work and when best to deploy whatever structure or algorithm then you can bother yourself with actually implementing them in a specific language. I will recommend some books later. Just mention me

Pls sir do.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by ChinenyeN(m): 8:47pm On Feb 25, 2016
GetAvenue, I can understand your confusion about data structures, but don't worry. It is actually simpler to understand than you may believe. I'll state it like this: A data structure is about how information is stored. It is the underlying implementation. Let's examine a matrix for example. To state it simply, a matrix is a data type. How the matrix is implemented (the inner workings of the matrix) is the underlying data structure. The inner workings/implementation defines the sort of operations that can be performed on the data structure itself. So, you've shown by your own admission to have had some familiarity with data structures. The true purpose behind data structures is to organize particular kinds of information in ways that make accessing and storing that information more efficient.

Algorithms can be simplified as methodologies for solving problems. An algorithm defines the steps taken or processes used to achieve something. In terms of programming, algorithms are programming logic. Using matrices as an example, the code you write to operate on a matrix is an example of an algorithm. The code is written to take certain steps or call certain processes at certain points of the matrix operation. So, you've also shown by your own admission that you have some familiarity with algorithms. The fact that you engage in problem-solving through programming is a case-in-point. In fact, algorithms are not limited to programming. People use algorithms all the time in real life. You have an algorithm for getting ready before you leave your house during the day, and you have an algorithm for getting ready before you go to sleep at night.

Now, it is true that we as programmers should think of data structures and algorithms independently of the language we are working with. For the most part, that is not a problem. However, we cannot avoid the fact that the languages we work in will affect how we handle data structures and algorithms. This is because language features differ from one programming language to another. Beyond that small hiccup, algorithms and data structures are independent of the language used.

I hope this post helps you understand it a little better. If you feel I have been unclear about anything, let me know. I can try to expand on it.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 9:43pm On Feb 25, 2016
ChinenyeN:
GetAvenue, I can understand your confusion about data structures, but don't worry. It is actually simpler to understand than you may believe. I'll state it like this: A data structure is about how information is stored. It is the underlying implementation. Let's examine a matrix for example. To state it simply, a matrix is a data type. How the matrix is implemented (the inner workings of the matrix) is the underlying data structure. The inner workings/implementation defines the sort of operations that can be performed on the data structure itself. So, you've shown by your own admission to have had some familiarity with data structures. The true purpose behind data structures is to organize particular kinds of information in ways that make accessing and storing that information more efficient.

Algorithms can be simplified as methodologies for solving problems. An algorithm defines the steps taken or processes used to achieve something. In terms of programming, algorithms are programming logic. Using matrices as an example, the code you write to operate on a matrix is an example of an algorithm. The code is written to take certain steps or call certain processes at certain points of the matrix operation. So, you've also shown by your own admission that you have some familiarity with algorithms. The fact that you engage in problem-solving through programming is a case-in-point. In fact, algorithms are not limited to programming. People use algorithms all the time in real life. You have an algorithm for getting ready before you leave your house during the day, and you have an algorithm for getting ready before you go to sleep at night.

Now, it is true that we as programmers should think of data structures and algorithms independently of the language we are working with. For the most part, that is not a problem. However, we cannot avoid the fact that the languages we work in will affect how we handle data structures and algorithms. This is because language features differ from one programming language to another. Beyond that small hiccup, algorithms and data structures are independent of the language used.

I hope this post helps you understand it a little better. If you feel I have been unclear about anything, let me know. I can try to expand on it.

Bro I know all this theories.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by ChinenyeN(m): 9:51pm On Feb 25, 2016
I didn't discuss any theories. Everything in my post is from a practical viewpoint. But that's not so important right now. I guess my question now would be what is it that you do not understand? Because if you understand everything in my post, then that means you understand data structures and algorithms and also have the knowledge needed to implement them. So, what exactly could be the problem?
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 10:17pm On Feb 25, 2016
ChinenyeN:
I didn't discuss any theories. Everything in my post is from a practical viewpoint. But that's not so important right now. I guess my question now would be what is it that you do not understand? Because if you understand everything in my post, then that means you understand data structures and algorithms and also have the knowledge needed to implement them. So, what exactly could be the problem?

If you can't comprehend what I wrote up there, pls flush.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by ChinenyeN(m): 10:35pm On Feb 25, 2016
I don't know why you're taking this tone with me. I really only came here to help. You claimed to be a "dundee" (not quite sure what that means, but I presume you're saying that you are unable to grasp the concepts). Yet, from your own admission, you have shown yourself to have an understanding of what data structures and algorithms are. Maybe you should expand on your request some more, because it seems as though you're asking people to tell you something that you already know. Anyway, I thought I could be helpful, but if you want to force me off or if you're claiming that you don't need my help, then I'll simply leave you be. That's no problem.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 26, 2016
ChinenyeN:
I don't know why you're taking this tone with me. I really only came here to help. You claimed to be a "dundee" (not quite sure what that means, but I presume you're saying that you are unable to grasp the concepts). Yet, from your own admission, you have shown yourself to have an understanding of what data structures and algorithms are. Maybe you should expand on your request some more, because it seems as though you're asking people to tell you something that you already know. Anyway, I thought I could be helpful, but if you want to force me off or if you're claiming that you don't need my help, then I'll simply leave you be. That's no problem.

How come everyone else understand what u wrote there, except you.
Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Knownpal(m): 9:42am On Feb 26, 2016
Sometimes in life, the best help you can offer for some people's problem is to allow them to solve their problems them self.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by KazukiIto(m): 1:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
Knownpal:
Sometimes in life, the best help you can offer for some people's problem is to allow them to solve their problems them self.

Seriously, the OP is a saucy retard. I thought he needed help...

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by Theloveth(m): 10:05am On Feb 27, 2016
KazukiIto:

Seriously, the OP is a saucy retard. I thought he needed help...
I wish I could like this a million times. Someone was trying to help you and the next thing is to abuse him/her. This life!

2 Likes

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by asalimpo(m): 11:29am On Feb 27, 2016
Theloveth:

I wish I could like this a million times. Someone was trying to help you and the next thing is to abuse him/her. This life!

Classical definition of an F-O-O-L.

1 Like

Re: I Need A Programming Pal To Learn Data Structure And Algorithm With by asalimpo(m): 11:46am On Feb 27, 2016
Op, are you sure you need help because
It's not easy to type long on a phone (or even a tablet), which is what most posters are using. Yet, I've seen some long ,thought-out replies to your post. You've neither considered the responses you've gotten so far nor valued them, even going as far as insulting one who tried to help you.

(1) (Reply)

What Programming Language Is Best For You? / Pls I Want To Learn Web Design And Development / Programming Tutor Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.