Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,538 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? (4104 Views)

President Buhari To Visit Ghana On Monday / President Buhari Not Nigeria’s First Leader At Blair House - The FCT Post / Did Obama's Ansestors Really Be From Bakana, Rivers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by NicolasN: 12:58am On Jul 11, 2009
Come think of it, I realize that there must be a genuine reason why Obama chose Ghana and not Nigeria. I'm sure we shall get to know very soon.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Yuno: 1:14am On Jul 11, 2009
If you read the news you would know already, its also already been discussed on the forum in several threads. The White House made it very clear that Ghana was chosen because it is one of the strongest democracies in Africa.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by macIB(m): 1:23am On Jul 11, 2009
With all these situations (corruption, electoral malpractices, poor governance, etc) our leaders have put Nigeria into, Do you think a right thinking person would visit Nigeria? Personally I do not think so!!
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Beaf: 2:06am On Jul 11, 2009
Yuno:

If you read the news you would know already, its also already been discussed on the forum in several threads. The White House made it very clear that Ghana was chosen because it is one of the strongest democracies in Africa.

It could also be because there is more affinity for Ghana in the diaspora, but don't discount these:
[list]
[li]Corruption and lack of developmental institutions[/li]
[li]Nigeria snubbed the US proposals for Africa command[/li]
[li]For the cynical, Ghana recently discovered vast quantities of oil[/li]
[li]Niger Delta crisis[/li]
[/list]

In short 9ja's plate is too full.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by TheSeeker(m): 2:50am On Jul 11, 2009
US is all about democracy when it comes to dealing with other nations. US refuses to be associates with countries with questionable democratic stances, a group where Nigeria falls and tops it. The same applies to Kenya and Zimbabwe. You can imagine a country where there has been successful transition of power for the past 17 years -- it's a commendable situation and those are the kind of nations America associated with. It has nothing to do with their gold or whatever they have. Ghana will gain more international recommendation to what they already have. Nigeria is a joke on the African map
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Beaf: 3:46am On Jul 11, 2009
TheSeeker:

US is all about democracy when it comes to dealing with other nations. US refuses to be associates with countries with questionable democratic stances, a group where Nigeria falls and tops it. The same applies to Kenya and Zimbabwe. You can imagine a country where there has been successful transition of power for the past 17 years -- it's a commendable situation and those are the kind of nations America associated with. It has nothing to do with their gold or whatever they have. Ghana will gain more international recommendation to what they already have. Nigeria is a joke on the African map

Calm down, Obama is just coming from Russia. Land of Putin. . .  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by TheSeeker(m): 4:00am On Jul 11, 2009
Beaf:

Calm down, Obama is just coming from Russia. Land of Putin. . .  shocked shocked shocked

In what capacity was he there for?
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by chukatony(m): 5:25am On Jul 11, 2009
IN THE DEMOCRACY HISTORY, REVOLUTION IS INHERENT AND HENCE ALWAYS INEVITABLE. OURS CAN NOT BE DIFFERENT, LIKE WE ALL KNOW, GHANA FOR ONCE HAVE MOVED TOWARDS THAT AND HAVE ACHIEVED THE STRONGEST DEMOCRACY IN AFRICA MORE THAN NIGERIA THE GIANT OF AFRICA. WHAT CAN WE TALK OF? OUR ONE PARTY SYSTEM, FG, PDP, HOUSE OF SENATE, PDP, NATIONAL HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY, PDP, NIGERIA POLICE, PDP, EFCC, PDP, JUDICIARY, PDP, NNPC, PDP, NEPA NKO? PDP , MTN, GLO, ZAIN, PDP . NIGERIA IS A STATE OF ANARCHY WE MUST WAKE UP AND PRAY FOR OUR OWN REVOLUTION TO SET IN OTHERWISE, LETS FORGET THIS DEMOCRACY BUT PLEASE, LETS LEARN FROM HISTORY, FOR THE IGBOS TRIED CESSATION, AND A GREAT GENOCIDE IT WAS, LET IT NOT BE VIOLENT because ME SELF NO ONE DIE I SUGEST IT SHOULD BE INTELLECTUAL REVOLUTION. sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by strangleyo: 6:03am On Jul 11, 2009
Nigeria is not only a failed state, its not even trying anymore.

This question gets floated around because even Nigerians are blinded by our own squalor.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by princekevo(m): 6:48am On Jul 11, 2009
@ topic
It's time we start counting our teeth with our tongue, Nigeria has no democracy, neither do they have an elected president, Who is Obama supposed to visit or do we think the whole world is as stupid as we are?Wht Nigeria have is someone forced on them to rule, That is wht you get when you fold ur arms let things being forced on u, No body want to die in Nigeria, we rather sit down, suffer and complain, Atleast we should learn from the people of Iran, wht their reaction was when someone forced himself on them. Even if they ended up not achieving their aim but their reactions captured the attention of the world,
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by RICHIEBOI1(m): 7:47am On Jul 11, 2009
all said and done so obama has finally landed in ghana. it baffles me why obama would choose ghana as his first port of call instead of his own country KENYA. shocked so i guess naija for now is out of the question. grin this is one big snub naija wont find funny at all. grin
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by eesaah(m): 8:35am On Jul 11, 2009
Quote from: TheSeeker on Today at 02:50:24 AM

Tell me you are joking about the bold part above,because the last time i checked US has a strong relation with Saudi Govt which is not democratic
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Yuno: 11:35am On Jul 11, 2009
As some people said the US like all western countries does associate with non-democratic countries like Saudi Arabia or China when it suits them but Obama chose Ghana because of its strong democracy because as the first black president I am sure that he personally has a strong interest in promoting democracy on the black man's continent. That is why he chose Ghana over Kenya, his father's country or Nigeria. Kenya has been having horrible problems with tribalism in recent years and Nigeria is certainly not a true democracy, Obama and his administration were clearly sending a message that this government will support successful democracies in Africa instead of just supporting who ever is the friendliest to US policy,
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by pappyn: 12:11pm On Jul 11, 2009
really i would say it does not matter if America as a whole has less interest in Nigeria, because its better, look back into history and look into the countries America intervened or had association with are left with debt, they end up creating import and export regulations that benefit them, they create companies to satisfy their desire, Americans themselves are not a democratic government its more of a communist approach, they control the flow of media their people know only what they want them to know . And obama is not there for change but there to continue and he hes their joker at uniting the economy world. the world bank is controlled by America with a 70% investment which came from their Federal reserve, and the Federal reserve being a private company controlled by the bank. in short its all business. what i am more concerned about is that we develop our industries and create more jobs, use and find alternative resource to energy to limit our direct consumption fuel rather we market it and maintain its standard. we should direct our attention to china they developed them selves within them selves. that is what i ask. for energy check WWW.Josephnewman.com, industrial hemp also alternative resource to cotton, fiber, cement.
All i am saying is we are a great nation and we should explore the opportunities developed countries have tried and they work.
Back to Obama he is a PR and that is all and the best as he hes black so he can get the response of his skin type to go along with the policies of America. the old ways are not working.

Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by NicolasN: 12:39pm On Jul 11, 2009
What about our president? What effort is he making towards this?
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by princekevo(m): 1:57pm On Jul 11, 2009
Nicolas N.:

What about our president? What effort is he making towards this?
Wht is he supposed to do?
Tie Obama rope and drag him down to Nigeria?
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by bashali: 2:20pm On Jul 11, 2009
walahi, you Yoruba slowpoke you are going crazy. when we kill all of you, you would go to benin republic faster than you think.

Obama visited ghana and not nigeria because ghana democracy is a true democracy. Nigeria so call democracy is fraud. when you look at the satellite picture of Ghana and you look at Ghana census, you notice thier are prove that it may be accuracy. which is a reflection of thier election. but when you look at nigeria.

Nigeria satellite picture does not reflect our population. empty space is allocated million of people and votes. so that is why obama is visiting the Ghana. Obama like every america have seen the satellite pictures of africa. And he would have taken took with the disparity of the nigeria census.

I send several USA senators the satellite pictures of Nigeria and the census fraud. And also send it to several newspapers and media house around the world including CNN and NBC. So you see why Obama would prevert to avoid a scandal of getting involve with a nation that runs fraud on thier census figures. So you see obama does not want to get involve with fraud. And I would continue to send the world media, newspaper television the satellite picture and your census fraud until you remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into benin republic. This would tell you that i am right and you are wrong. that i am not telling you lies about the satellite pictures and i have not alter any of the pictures. the north is a minority. And the next generation of northerner are going to become minority and this is the reason the nigeria govt is going about looking for nuclear weapon and pretending they are looking for nuclear electricity station. A nation with close to zero uranium material. want to build a nuclear station. Is that possible, where are you going to get uranium to put in it. while gas station , which is waste was cancel. So you know this govt is looking for nuclear weapon to kill our people.

Look Ghana democracy is working because the ashati people are majority in ghana . Nigeria does not have a 45 to 50 % majority like Ghana. that why the democracy in nigeria cant work. for us to have a real democracy , we need to move the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic. this would create a true majority and we would have true democracy.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Egwuofor: 2:23pm On Jul 11, 2009
So bashali what, what are your people gaining by this. do you think your people would agree.

walahi, you Yoruba slowpoke you are going crazy. when we kill all of you, you would go to benin republic faster than you think.

Obama visited ghana and not nigeria because ghana democracy is a true democracy. Nigeria so call democracy is fraud. when you look at the satellite picture of Ghana and you look at Ghana census, you notice thier are prove that it may be accuracy. which is a reflection of thier election. but when you look at nigeria.

Nigeria satellite picture does not reflect our population. empty space is allocated million of people and votes. so that is why obama is visiting the Ghana. Obama like every america have seen the satellite pictures of africa. And he would have taken took with the disparity of the nigeria census.

I send several USA senators the satellite pictures of Nigeria and the census fraud. And also send it to several newspapers and media house around the world including CNN and NBC. So you see why Obama would prevert to avoid a scandal of getting involve with a nation that runs fraud on thier census figures. So you see obama does not want to get involve with fraud. And I would continue to send the world media, newspaper television the satellite picture and your census fraud until you remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into benin republic. This would tell you that i am right and you are wrong. that i am not telling you lies about the satellite pictures and i have not alter any of the pictures. the north is a minority. And the next generation of northerner are going to become minority and this is the reason the nigeria govt is going about looking for nuclear weapon and pretending they are looking for nuclear electricity station. A nation with close to zero uranium material. want to build a nuclear station. Is that possible, where are you going to get uranium to put in it. while gas station , which is waste was cancel. So you know this govt is looking for nuclear weapon to kill our people.

Look Ghana democracy is working because the ashati people are majority in ghana . Nigeria does not have a 45 to 50 % majority like Ghana. that why the democracy in nigeria cant work. for us to have a real democracy , we need to move the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic. this would create a true majority and we would have true democracy.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Nosa77(m): 2:52pm On Jul 11, 2009
Selfishness and stinginess is truly crippling our nation. We tend to support eachother in corruption and selfish gain and crush anyone who rises up and wants to do right. There are some nigerians who would make any nation proud to have them as citizens, but we criticize, mock them, put them down and more often than not, send them out.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by chidichris(m): 2:56pm On Jul 11, 2009
the reasons are countless.
so do not start asking when u know. this act of knowing and pretending not to know is one of the reasons.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Mufuadamu: 3:19pm On Jul 11, 2009
So, Obama chose Ghana instead of Nigeria - and why shouldn't he when Atta Mill's Jan 2009 election was a historic milestone in African democratic stability. The US President’s Ghanaian choice is clear. Obama is committed to establishing a just society and wants to encourage Mills in his fight against the corruption so prevalent in Africa.

But there is one thing - one cannot mention Atta Mills without the man that he openly describes as his mentor and who famously prophesied  Atta Mill’s peaceful and surprising victory against the opposition in Jan 2009.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzR1poV0r04 yes its TB Joshua

Certainly makes one think doesn't it - perhaps we cannot rule out divine intervention in Obama's visit to Ghana,

Have a read of this http://www.modernghana.com/news/226736/1/obamas-visit-to-ghana-chance-or-ordained.html
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by amarilo: 3:27pm On Jul 11, 2009
becoomrich:

we have a fraud census figure, and a fraud election. if obama visit nigeria. he send a signal to nigeria govt that fraud pays. they would continue to rig election. look iwu in any country of the world would have been fired for running a fraud election. but not nigeria. it shows you there would never been change in nigeria.

look the only solution is to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayesla into benin republic. if jonathan does not want to go. let him remain with bayelsa. this is the only solution. and i can tell you bayelsa people want to join benin republic. they do not want to remain in nigeria.
Iwu is not fired cuz the person/body that is suppose fire him sent him to do what ever he did. So IWURUWURU did what he was employed to do in the eyes of the people that employed him.

I spoke with Obama and he is ready to remove Edo, Delta,and Bayelsa if you can dance naked in Idumota market. tongue tongue tongue DEAL?
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Litmus: 3:29pm On Jul 11, 2009
[b]All of below but choose your order.

1 It is easier to influence Ghana than it is to influence Nigeria

2 Nigeria was prominent in the Anglican Church protests against gay pastors/bishops (Obama likes to see himself as pro-gay)

3 Ghana peoples’ embarrassing welcome display when Clinton visited, provided an Ideal photo-call opportunity. Ever since then it is a country viewed as a place sure to give you the primordial cheery, massa pikinin welcome. When his popularity was low Bush tried to exploit this overzealous gratitude welcome only Ghana, out of all of Africa, is still capable of giving.

4 America is interested in stationing troops in Africa. Nigeria is against it but Ghana is more amenable to the idea

5) Western Countries hate the idea of taking African countries seriously. Nigeria wants to be taken seriously and is still eyeing a seat in the Security Council but Ghana is content to be patronised.

6) Nigerians are – to judge from this board – extremely happy and proud for Obama to go visit Ghana. If Nigerians and Ghanaians are overjoyed for Obama to visit Ghana so why not.

[/b]
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by pappyn: 3:29pm On Jul 11, 2009
those who believe America as a democratic nation watch this please http://www.documentarywire.com/obama-and-the-global-elite
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by strangleyo: 3:44pm On Jul 11, 2009
Litmus:

2 Nigeria was prominent in the Anglican Church protests against gay pastors/bishops (Obama likes to see himself as pro-gay)

3 Ghana peoples’ embarrassing welcome display when Clinton visited, provided an Ideal photo-call opportunity. Ever since then it is a country viewed as a place sure to give you the primordial cheery, massa pikinin welcome. When his popularity was low Bush tried to exploit this overzealous gratitude welcome only Ghana, out of all of Africa, is still capable of giving.

4 America is interested in stationing troops in Africa. Nigeria is against it but Ghana is more amenable to the idea

5) Western Countries hate the idea of taking African countries seriously. Nigeria wants to be taken seriously and is still eyeing a seat in the Security Council but Ghana is content to be patronised.

6) Nigerians are – to judge from this board – extremely happy and proud for Obama to go visit Ghana. If Nigerians and Ghanaians are overjoyed for Obama to visit Ghana so why not.

[/b]

1) True
2)That's completely irrelevant the US is a secular republic, who cares about religion in the US government? Are you mistaking Americans for pious Nigerians?
3)True
4)True
5)Nobody takes Nigeria seriously even Nigerians, the country is a total mess and a laughing stock of the world.
6)We're happy because by visiting Ghana he is sending out a message to all the failed democracies such as Nigeria and Kenya. He already said what I  believe hit the spot "Kenya 30 years ago had a bigger economy than south Korea, and that is not the fault of the G8"
He's absolutely right, its complete failure of the people and government.
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by sley4life(m): 3:50pm On Jul 11, 2009
With all these situations (corruption, electoral malpractices, poor governance, etc) our leaders have put Nigeria into, Do you think a right thinking person would visit Nigeria? Personally I do not think so!!
spot on
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by graciella(f): 4:58pm On Jul 11, 2009
una want make militants kidnap am?
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Litmus: 9:00pm On Jul 11, 2009

What CNN adds to my list:

7) To visit point of departure of slaves (apparently this was a very major consideration for visiting Ghana).

So much for constant electricity wink[/b]
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by Beaf: 10:53pm On Jul 11, 2009
1. Ghana has just discovered vast oil fields
2. Obama is scared of becoomrich's uncommon level of madness grin
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by jamace(m): 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2009
Why should Obama come to Nigeria first before Ghana? Do you want MASSOB to give him a knock on the head? or MEND to kidnap him? grin grin
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by ikeyman00(m): 12:55am On Jul 13, 2009
1. Ghana has just discovered vast oil fields
2. Obama is scared of becoomrich's uncommon level of madness

gbam grin grin
Re: Why Did Obama Visit Ghana And Not Nigeria? by NicolasN: 2:50pm On Aug 01, 2009
I think T.B. Joshua will be the best person to help us out. At least Obama can come in another way, then we don't need to lay emphasis on politics.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra Elections: Traditional Rulers Administer Oath On Contestants / Fashola Signs Mortgage Bill Into Law / Jonathan To Eliminate Power Outage By 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.