Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,999 members, 7,799,428 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property (1790 Views)

READ Reasons Why Landlords/investors Lose Their Investment On Rental Property / Three Reasons Why Rental Property Is A Great Investment / Rental property gone - 2 Bedroom Flat For Rent In Ikosi, Ketu, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 11:07pm On Feb 23, 2016
Sometimes, we ought to challenge the popular beliefs in diverse areas of our lives, investment inclusive. Better results only come when we get tired of the old ones. The popular belief of making enough money and build houses for rent is safe and convenient. Safe enough to stop us from thinking further. Carefully analyze my eight reasons why investment in rental property may not be the best.

1) It Makes Capital Dormant:
Nothing ties capital down like real estate property. It looks safe but fund are not to be tied down. They are meant to be active and generating more funds. Investment in rental property will ensure that your money is visible but it may not guarantee immediate profits.

Please openly debate against my opinion
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by kristen12(f): 11:12pm On Feb 23, 2016
Continue na
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by viceldo(m): 11:57pm On Feb 23, 2016
You Are Not There Yet...More Points Are Needed
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by MRBrownJ: 12:32am On Feb 24, 2016
point #1 is VERY VERY weak

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by Pause: 8:49am On Feb 24, 2016
I agree, build to rent ties down capital but it all depends on what you plan to achieve. Depends on where the land is situated, the building and land appreciates in value while you are still collecting rent annually. You can then re-invest the rental income into another property or another investment. In a two years you can decide to sell off the building and invest the money into something else.

So it depends...
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 1:20pm On Feb 25, 2016
Pause:
I agree, build to rent ties down capital but it all depends on what you plan to achieve. Depends on where the land is situated, the building and land appreciates in value while you are still collecting rent annually. You can then re-invest the rental income into another property or another investment. In a two years you can decide to sell off the building and invest the money into something else.

So it depends...

Mr Pause I feel you.
If a rental property isn't been used as a collateral for other business or probably the house is on mortgage, then the option isn't the best.

Furthermore, we must remember that in real estate, only the land appreciates. What if there are better ways of putting the land to great use aside building rental properties.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 1:24pm On Feb 25, 2016
Another point I have for my claim is : POOR RECOVERY FROM DIMINISHING RETURNS.

I.e. old rental properties looses value as they age not just because of age but for better options that may be in the market. Renovating a rental property after 10-15years will cost a fortune.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:34pm On Feb 27, 2016
3) Extremely low income yield
Let’s take any state apart from Lagos and Abuja where you can get a decent bungalow for 4,500,000naira for instance. The rent on such property cannot be more than 300,000naira annually. This means, it will take up to 15years before the invested capital is gotten back. For me this too long considering the availability of viable options.

Even if you get an apartment in Lagos for 11million and your rent is around 900k per year,it will still take almost 12 years before you break even.

Buy land for other options will deliver far better than this.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by bigjay01(m): 8:36pm On Mar 01, 2016
hotmas911:
Let’s take any state apart from Lagos and Abuja where you can get a decent bungalow for 4,500,000naira for instance. The rent on such property cannot be more than 300,000naira annually. This means, it will take up to 15years before the invested capital is gotten back. For me this too long considering the availability of viable options.

Even if you get an apartment in Lagos for 11million and your rent is around 900k per year,it will still take almost 12 years before you break even.

I know you'll choose employing the land for agricultural ventures

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:53am On Mar 03, 2016
bigjay01:

I know you'll choose employing the land for agricultural ventures
How do you know?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 10:56pm On Mar 18, 2016
*****Thinking/ Innovative Redundancy

People always seem to have a feel of accomplishment because they have built one house or more. So they reduced their engagement in creative financial thinking. They felt that at least they have a roof on their head and little income is coming in, so why should they bother?

Cashew cultivation gets you more returns and also keep your mind alive.
Be part of the massive project
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:50pm On Mar 25, 2016
Anyone interested in planting soybeans can contact me for 1planting season free land just for soybean cultivation. I have 300acres for this purpose. You can also contact me outright purchase at 50k, 60k,70k and 80k depending on the location and size.
Wishing you all a profitable farming experience..... smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley a little digression
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:49pm On Apr 15, 2016
I felt replicating the Donald Trump idea in Real estate and golf in agriculture will make a lot of sense.
He is not a professional golfer but invests on golf properties.

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 11:24am On Apr 19, 2016
Hello forum
Planting seasons, happy seasons.
Invest in farmland.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 3:51pm On Jul 27, 2016
hotmas911:

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by K024(m): 5:12pm On Jul 27, 2016
I am sorry if this sounds disrespectful.

This would have been a very interesting topic. The problem is that you promised to give "8 reasons why I should not invest in rental property" and you have only given 3 since February. If you could not make good on a promise that was not forced on you and that does not even have anything to do with money, how do I trust you with any other thing you promise either here or on any other thread?

Once again, please accept my apologies. Some of us just can not see beyond what people present about themselves.

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 7:37pm On Jul 27, 2016
K024:
I am sorry if this sounds disrespectful.

This would have been a very interesting topic. The problem is that if you promised to give "8 reasons why I should not invest in rental property" and you have only given 3 since February. If you could not make good on a promise that was not forced on you and that does not even have anything to do with money, how do I trust you with any other thing you promise either here or on any other thread?

Once again, please accept my apologies. Some of us just can not see beyond what people present about themselves.
no hard feelings! Thanks for your observations. I'm also sorry to let you know we are not looking and praying to do business with people with your kind of attitude. Cheers grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by K024(m): 6:11am On Jul 28, 2016
hotmas911:
no hard feelings! Thanks for your observations. I'm also sorry to let you know we are not looking and praying to do business with people with your kind of attitude. Cheers grin

There's no need to be sorry for not doing business with people like us. We need to learn to crawl before we run with giants like you.

I actually came to the thread thinking I could learn some tips for when I grow up. So are you going to give us the remaining 5 reasons or was it just a ploy to attract us to your thread?

You know you can also edit the title of the thread to "3 reasons why you should not invest in rental property".

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:56am On Oct 17, 2017
stay tuned for the other reasons
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 9:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
Re: Reasons Why You Should Not To Invest In Rental Property by hotmas911(m): 10:48am On Jan 30, 2018

(1) (Reply)

A plot of land is for Sale @ Sango Otta Ogun State / CONSTRUCTION DIARY OF A 5 BEDROOM ALL ENSUITE DUPLEX / Urgent Sales.... Uncomplicated 3bedroom For Sale @iyana Iyesi For 2.5m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.