Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,791 members, 7,798,667 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:11 AM

Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad (25888 Views)

"My Sister Sold My Land In Ogun" - Deported Man Who Came Back From Abroad / Vacant / Do You Import Building Materials From Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Dieumerci(m): 1:27am On Feb 28, 2016
idris4r83:
35pcs of blocks per bag of cement? That's outrageous. It's damn too dare o. If it's 35pcs it's better to buy engine compressed blocks cos the price will even b cheaper. Anything short of 50pcs of 9inches blocks per bag is a loss. At least 50 should b target point per bag if not then no gain sir.
50 9" blocks from one bag of cement?
Sir, have you tried this before?
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by idris4r83(m): 7:33pm On Feb 28, 2016
Dieumerci:

50 9" blocks from one bag of cement?
Sir, have you tried this before?
lolz! We even work with some of the blocks in site today. When preparing blocks, mixture ratio and watering is the topmost priority. U can mold 25pcs of blocks and I mould 50 with the same one bag of cement it might interest you to know that with proper watering the 50 can be stronger than 25. The key factor is to use the appropriate sand and water the blocks for like good 3 to 4 days morning and evening. And again dangote cement is not as good as bua cement when moulding blocks. Am moulding like 2000blocks may be before this week runs out I will try to create a thread with pictures and share it to d house.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 4:16am On Feb 29, 2016
idris4r83:
35pcs of blocks per bag of cement? That's outrageous. It's damn too dare o. If it's 35pcs it's better to buy engine compressed blocks cos the price will even b cheaper. Anything short of 50pcs of 9inches blocks per bag is a loss. At least 50 should b target point per bag if not then no gain si[/b]r.

idris4r83:
lolz! We even work with some of the blocks in site today. When preparing blocks, mixture ratio and watering is the topmost priority.[b] U can mold 25pcs of blocks and I mould 50 with the same one bag of cement it might interest you to know that with proper watering the 50 can be stronger than 25
. The key factor is to use the appropriate sand and water the blocks for like good 3 to 4 days morning and evening. And again dangote cement is not as good as bua cement when moulding blocks. Am moulding like 2000blocks may be before this week runs out I will try to create a thread with pictures and share it to d house.

My son would ask, Are you joking me Dad?,
@idris, are you joking me. I was even worried that the 35bags is just too much just as @Dieumerci was wondering, I'm too!. We are using Elephant, does it make any difference, and what is your mixture ratio. Share further as Imimplore others with experience to share with us . Off 50pcs/bag can do the job, what's the point wasting cement.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by adebaxton(m): 4:28pm On Feb 29, 2016
idris4r83:
35pcs of blocks per bag of cement? That's outrageous. It's damn too dare o. If it's 35pcs it's better to buy engine compressed blocks cos the price will even b cheaper. Anything short of 50pcs of 9inches blocks per bag is a loss. At least 50 should b target point per bag if not then no gain sir.
I salute your observation, But other way round, 50 units of 9 inches block per bag is nothing but compromising of quality.
I've tried 35 units per bag for 9 inch & 45 units for 6 inch and the quality is superb.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by mavverick: 4:42pm On Feb 29, 2016
Oga

I very much salute your courage, I was in your shoes a few months ago and whilst the thought could be daunting at first, its the best thing to have ever happened I can tell you that. As previously pointed out, get a smart phone and use whatapp a lot, from here you can even use whatapp web. Allows you to type faster and easier, you also get free calls.

*Very key - you need someone that you can trust on site, to count deliveries (materials, sand anything), ensure your workers are not stealing your materials, get you first hand info on what is happening on site, get you workers/suppliers if necessary. If you can get someone who lives on site or closeby, that would even be better.

* Encourage your workers to have a smartphone etc whith whatapp. You can be keeping tabs on this and track whats happening on site, if its not the way you want it, you can highlight it ASAP. Not so important, if you have a site engineer with whatsapp etc.

Try to go on ground if possible to see yourself, a deadly mistake was averted on my foundation because I was there. No matter how much money you send, some people will always be greedy.

When shopping around for prices, get people to get you the number of like 3 suppliers and then you can compare your own prices.
Try to keep family away from your house builds, limit their involvement.

I dont know how close you are to your family etc, but my own preference is to limit involvement and deal with people only on a professional basis, you cant pick and choose family, but if the relationship is professional you can hire and fire anytime for people who are not performing up to expectation.

Wish you all the best, and remember dont let it stress you too much. Good health is better than riches.

Lastly, watch out for my blog called " BUILDING FROM THE DIASPORA"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 2:37pm On Mar 01, 2016
mavverick:
Oga

I very much salute your courage, I was in your shoes a few months ago and whilst the thought could be daunting at first, its the best thing to have ever happened I can tell you that. As previously pointed out, get a smart phone and use whatapp a lot, from here you can even use whatapp web. Allows you to type faster and easier, you also get free calls.

*Very key - you need someone that you can trust on site, to count deliveries (materials, sand anything), ensure your workers are not stealing your materials, get you first hand info on what is happening on site, get you workers/suppliers if necessary. If you can get someone who lives on site or closeby, that would even be better.

* Encourage your workers to have a smartphone etc whith whatapp. You can be keeping tabs on this and track whats happening on site, if its not the way you want it, you can highlight it ASAP. Not so important, if you have a site engineer with whatsapp etc.

Try to go on ground if possible to see yourself, a deadly mistake was averted on my foundation because I was there. No matter how much money you send, some people will always be greedy.

When shopping around for prices, get people to get you the number of like 3 suppliers and then you can compare your own prices.
Try to keep family away from your house builds, limit their involvement.

I dont know how close you are to your family etc, but my own preference is to limit involvement and deal with people only on a professional basis, you cant pick and choose family, but if the relationship is professional you can hire and fire anytime for people who are not performing up to expectation.

Wish you all the best, and remember dont let it stress you too much. Good health is better than riches.

Well said Maverick, thanks a million with this experienced advises. They are quite appreciated my man. Money no easy, and the thought of how well people will handle your things knowing that you are not there is something else. I plan to be there during the foundation till setting of first blocks, than during decking, and perhaps roofing. I felt that those are critical stages in the construction phase. May God help us all brov!

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:31pm On Mar 01, 2016
Some updates....
The guys have exhausted some 50 bags of cement yielding in total 1,812 blocks
Following quotes from my cousin and from my friend, I decided to go with my cousin's as they will deliver for payment all materials at site. They deliverered the following;

100 pieces y16@1870 - N187,000
150 pieces Y12@1040 - N156,000
50 pieces Y8@680 - N34,000
1 bag of 3" nail - N6000
1 bag of 2" nail - N6000
2 bundles peg - N2000
8 pieces Headpan/trowel - N8,000
1 Bundle binding wire - N5,500
2 Block Mollers - N12,000
Total - N416,000

The cement guy also supplied 100 bags@N145,000 and
Another 5 trips of sand was supplied@N42,500

Total N416,000+N145,000+42,000 =N603,000

This bring the total so far to N240,600 + N603,000 = N844,100
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by mufutau55(m): 3:32pm On Mar 01, 2016
mavverick:
Oga

This thread should be interesting. Looking forward to it.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 9:11am On Mar 07, 2016
Following cost of water at N4,000 per thousand litres of water, and considering that we would require loads through the course of this project, I reluctantly sought the services of some artisans for orthodox borehole digging. It was strange what happened during the negotiating stage as I did that directly with them without them realising where I was calling from. My cousin invited three groups from Awka, Oba, and Asaba to come and give quote. The ones from Awka were the first to arrive early morning last Friday, and after inspecting the site, I asked that he put them on phone. So we entered into negotiations.

Here is the excerpts from our negotiation;

Me: Heelo what is your name?

Negotiator: Oga na Akpan

Me: (I quickly remove my pants on fire and told him) I no be Oga, Oga's dey Abuja I dey Ihiala LGA here where I dey work for Oga's)

Negotiator: OK sorry sir

Me: You be Calabar man

Negotiator: Yes sir

I went in to settle him first to feel somewhat close to home

Me: OK, that's good because we already have a very good Calabar guy leaving and working for years for my in-law very close to the site their.

Negotiator: That's good sir!

Then try placing him in anxious mode to defend his handwork.

Me: So Na you go do the job abi you be contractor?

Negotiator: Nooo! I no be contractor, na me go do the job with some boys I go call whey we don dey work together before.

Me: OK! You don dey work for how long?

Negotiator: Oga, I don dey work for like 5 years oooh!

Me: 5years dey work for somebody or what?

Negotiator: No 5 years working for my selfoooo!

Me: So you wan tell me say you sabi work and you fit do the work well well with 5 years working experience?

Negotiator: Yes Oga I sabi work , we go do am well well, no problem, we don work many places, I show your brother pictures of our work sir.

Me: OK make I take am say you sabi and say you go do am well well for me now.

Negotiator: Yes Oga

Despite warnings the guy can't stop using Oga - artisans negotiating strategy consciously placing your status above theirs. Anyway, I continued, allowing little sigh of relief, I proceed to the main issue.

Me: You don see the place you go do the work?

Negotiator: Yes, your brother don show me the corner, its good their oga. We go do am there, no problem.

Me: OK, so how much you go take do the work?

Negotiator: Oga na N900,000 we go take do am, complete am.

Disillusioning exclamation aimed at lowering expectation following the bombshell

Me: Whaaaat!!! (loudly exclaimed) 900 whaaaat?

Negotiator: Oga na N900,000 because we go dig a, cast am and we go pay workers, rent generator, buy tipper trip of shipping, buy 50 bags cements, buy 90 pieces Y12 iron rod, pay welder to construct casting model, do the casting!

Me: Are you joking?

Negotiator: Oga Nooo!! the work too much and we go do am well well, na so we dey do am.

Me : You think say if you begin to beat me, you fit get N900,000 for borehole, you no get brother whey be government worker?

Negotiator: I get sir.

Negotiator: Him tell you say dey dem pay N900,000 in month working a Local government?

Negotiator: No sir, Oga.

Me: You think say he go save N900,000 after a year for him work?

Negotiator: I no think so Oga

Me: So why you wan make I pay you N900,000, come! how many months you go take do the job?

Negotiator: Oga months ke, - I go take gbatagbata 1month.

Me: You see am so, na one month work you wan charge me N900K whey go take me more than a year to get for where I dey work, you wan make I owe you when you finish working for me?

Negotiator: Oga Nooo!!! Oga tell me wetin you wan pay.

Me: No na you go tell me wetin you go take work for me, then I go shake if I go fit pay you when you finish as you no wan make I owe you.

Negotiator: OK Oga, make u pay N750k sir because we go buy materials, rent generator, pay workers, do am well well, I no charge you Oga.

Eeeh! the guys really came with cutlass to shop off my head. Anyway after listing the things to buy and sensing that he may not have costed them I quickly went for the jugular question,

Me: So how much is your workmanship?

Negotiator: Oga na N450 sir.

Note the double Oga, and Sir, money matter, he condescends to the last aiming for a below the belt punch for an ego junkie. Well, not me. As soon as he mentioned N450k, I knew I had him because a rough mental calculation of the material may not reach N300K. My target is to do the work within N350-400K. Then I remembered the Ijebu man Egunmogaji and his avowed negotiating skills, and we resumed;

Me: I would provide every materials and pay N50K cash in full.

Negotiator: Aaaah Oga! (the guy shout!) that one no go do am now Oga!

Me: Check am now materials too expensive and the things to buy many well well, I provide that and pay N50K.

Negotiator: Oga e no reach, make you pay N300K.

Me: N300K dey too much for one month job, would you do the job at N100K.

Negotiator: No Oga I no charge you, make you pay us N280K.

Me: Look I get friends whey dey build around the area whey still need borehole jobs, if we settle and you do the job well well I go tell them to give you the job, and since you can finish one job in one month, I have about six other people which means you are sure of being busy around here in the next six months.

Negotiator: OK Oga make you pay us N250K.

Me: Well you still dey high, just let me know your final quote, we do already invite some Hausa groups coming this morning to quote for the job and they don do work for one man not far from here in the past. Their work is good and fast. If they come give better quote we go give them the job.

Negotiator: Oga we wan do the work for you make we show you our handwork, we go do the work finally with N200K just to show you.

Me: Is that your final final?

Negotiator: Oga I go carry 4 people come work and we go do the job well make we leave am at N200 abeg.

Me: Let me talk to my cousin.

After talking to my cousin, he agreed that we give them the job as the picture they showed him was a neat job and they are the ones in the pictures.

Me: Akpan, Its OK I have decided to give you a trial. If you do the work well, you will get other works.

Negotiator: That's OK Oga but abeg when you tell your friends add something for me abeg Oga.

Me: What price?

Negotiator: Oga N350K dey good abeg.

Me: OK, do mine well first and we will see. When are you starting?

Negotiator: Today, we will continue work now and go home in the evening to bring more people and the rest of tools Oga.

Me: That sounds nice, go ahead then, my cousin will discuss mobilisation with you and the materials would be ready for you.

So finally, borehole job out at N200K. If I do that within N400K, I would be happy as a guy close to me did his with N650K, and one other did his at N750K. I would consider N400K a bargain provided the standard is quality. We will see.

5 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by CertifiedSamuel: 4:46am On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:
Following cost of water at N4,000 per thousand litres of water, and considering that we would require loads through the course of this project, I reluctantly sought the services of some artisans for orthodox borehole digging. It was strange what happened during the negotiating stage as I did that directly with them without them realising where I was calling from. My cousin invited three groups from Awka, Oba, and Asaba to come and give quote. The ones from Awka were the first to arrive early morning last Friday, and after inspecting the site, I asked that he put them on phone. So we entered into negotiations.

Me: (I quickly remove my pants on fire and told him) I no be Oga, Oga's dey Abuja I dey Ihiala LGA here where I dey work for Oga's)

Me: OK, that's good because we already have a very good Calabar guy leaving and working for years for my in-law very close to the site their.

Negotiator: Nooo! I no be contractor, na me go do the job with some boys I go call whey we don dey work together before.

Me: So you wan tell me say you sabi work and you fit do the work well well with 5 years working experience?

Negotiator: Yes Oga I sabi work , we go do am well well, no problem, we don work many places, I show your brother pictures of our work sir.

Despite warnings the guy can't stop using Oga - artisans negotiating strategy consciously placing your status above theirs. Anyway, I continued, allowing little sigh of relief, I proceed to the main issue.

Negotiator: Yes, your brother don show me the corner, its good their oga. We go do am there, no problem.

Disillusioning exclamation aimed at lowering expectation following the bombshell

Negotiator: Oga na N900,000 because we go dig a, cast am and we go pay workers, rent generator, buy tipper trip of shipping, buy 50 bags cements, buy 90 pieces Y12 iron rod, pay welder to construct casting model, do the casting!

Negotiator: Oga Nooo!! the work too much and we go do am well well, na so we dey do am.

Me : You think say if you begin to beat me, you fit get N900,000 for borehole, you no get brother whey be government worker?

Negotiator: Him tell you say dey dem pay N900,000 in month working a Local government?

Me: So why you wan make I pay you N900,000, come! how many months you go take do the job?

Me: You see am so, na one month work you wan charge me N900K whey go take me more than a year to get for where I dey work, you wan make I owe you when you finish working for me?

Me: No na you go tell me wetin you go take work for me, then I go shake if I go fit pay you when you finish as you no wan make I owe you.

Negotiator: OK Oga, make u pay N750k sir because we go buy materials, rent generator, pay workers, do am well well, I no charge you Oga.

Eeeh! the guys really came with cutlass to shop off my head. Anyway after listing the things to buy and sensing that he may not have costed them I quickly went for the jugular question,

Note the double Oga, and Sir, money matter, he condescends to the last aiming for a below the belt punch for an ego junkie. Well, not me. As soon as he mentioned N450k, I knew I had him because a rough mental calculation of the material may not reach N300K. My target is to do the work within N350-400K. Then I remembered the Ijebu man Egunmogaji and his avowed negotiating skills, and we resumed;

Me: Check am now materials too expensive and the things to buy many well well, I provide that and pay N50K.

Me: Look I get friends whey dey build around the area whey still need borehole jobs, if we settle and you do the job well well I go tell them to give you the job, and since you can finish one job in one month, I have about six other people which means you are sure of being busy around here in the next six months.

Me: Well you still dey high, just let me know your final quote, we do already invite some Hausa groups coming this morning to quote for the job and they don do work for one man not far from here in the past. Their work is good and fast. If they come give better quote we go give them the job.

Negotiator: Oga we wan do the work for you make we show you our handwork, we go do the work finally with N200K just to show you.

Negotiator: Oga I go carry 4 people come work and we go do the job well make we leave am at N200 abeg.

After talking to my cousin, he agreed that we give them the job as the picture they showed him was a neat job and they are the ones in the pictures.

Me: Akpan, Its OK I have decided to give you a trial. If you do the work well, you will get other works.

Negotiator: That's OK Oga but abeg when you tell your friends add something for me abeg Oga.

Negotiator: Today, we will continue work now and go home in the evening to bring more people and the rest of tools Oga.

Me: That sounds nice, go ahead then, my cousin will discuss mobilisation with you and the materials would be ready for you.

So finally, borehole job out at N200K. If I do that within N400K, I would be happy as a guy close to me did his with N650K, and one other did his at N750K. I would consider N400K a bargain provided the standard is quality. We will see.

Hmmmmmmm, am seriously abducting this negotiating skill. Thanks 'Oga Sir'.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 5:12am On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:

My Chairman, softly softly with the negotiations o, before the alleged Nairalander high rollers accuse you of struggling too grin

I just can't bring myself to leave money on the table but it still happens.

I like your involvement on your project Sir, very well done.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 10:10am On Mar 08, 2016
CertifiedSamuel:

Hmmmmmmm, am seriously abducting this negotiating skill. Thanks 'Oga Sir'.

Thanks man!
When money scarce, you need to apply many strategies especially when you are not on ground. This time it worked, I think! Goodluck.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 10:13am On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My Chairman, softly softly with the negotiations o, before the alleged Nairalander high rollers accuse you of struggling too grin

I just can't bring myself to leave money on the table but it still happens.

I like your involvement on your project Sir, very well done.

Thanks,
I am learning from you guys.
Hope that building whey you see around your site no dey too close to your house, otherwise yahwaa don enter your courtyard adventure.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 10:53am On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor, first of all I want to congratulate you for taking a very bold step building from diaspora. Some of us did the same and so u can too. IMO case I dont even know where my building dey if they no take me there. I met the land seller on NL, builder on NL and a lot of good motivations here too.

Here are my 2cents

It is very important to negotiate well. Save all the $ u can cos u will surely need it.

As maverick said, avoid involving families and friends...you will thank us later.

Feel free to ask questions if you are ever in doubt and make sure u get more than 3 estimates before u go with anyone.

For the most part I havent seen anyone on nairaland property section claiming to be a high-roller tho other than people who claim they will import all the materials for their so call "building" from abroad yet they cant afford to pay 1500 for dangote cements..Trust me u will see people here who claim to be building but all they do is disturbing public peace with boring pictures of sand filling for months....they talk on how they want to import every thing from abroad including water..opening threads on how to import padlocks and other ridiculous stuffs... Its all talk and no action. Pls dont for one sec get carried away...just dont lose focus and use what u can conveniently source locally. #stimulatenaijaeconomy.

As for the person who commented above you.. here below is what we found out about him after all the bragados and am serious

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 11:35am On Mar 08, 2016
@mayor OP.

the trip of sand is a bit on high side, I bought mine for 8k which is quite cheaper compare with 12k you were giving.

and is the same eastern part.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 11:45am On Mar 08, 2016
@mayor OP.
I tot the smartphone was a seed sown into my life cheesy why you come they add am?

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by nijabazaar: 11:47am On Mar 08, 2016
reading this feels like reading a blog, its like i am looking over your shoulders as you punch that calculator and sigh as you worry about the cost....almost poetic.

Best of luck, mr builder, you would build your magnficient Nollywood chateaux.

make sure your eyes is on the site manager, get updates from him almost every day

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I have smartphones for key players on my site. I can recharge the phones from here.

It will be a miracle if I don't do borehole next month. I'm sick of the yanga from the water folks.

Excellent.

Take your time. One of the beauties of all this concrete blocks is that you can leave them for a while unlike wood.
Ahaha baba you beat me to it
@Mayor welcome to the best thread on NL..This is the best we can do bear something in your heart. Put it on paper and make it go live. We are all here doing same from USA Canada to the UK and South Africa. There is wealth of expirience here to guide you through and mass savings tips as well.Ijebu guys are present here too** Runs quickly to hide from U know who** grin grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by redcap: 12:18pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukazu:
@mayor OP.

the trip of sand is a bit on high side, I bought mine for 8k which is quite cheaper compare with 12k you were giving.

Pls which parrt of Anambra.8k is a good price.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 12:19pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukazu:
@mayor OP.

Can I ask how many Bucket do you have per yip?
Mine was 5 buckets cost N28K

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 12:30pm On Mar 08, 2016
idris4r83:
You are right.I did solid @30 to 35 per bag.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Capital247: 12:32pm On Mar 08, 2016
@ Mayor u need to add the money you gave to your friend, it is an incidental charge to encourage purchase at low cost while maitaining quality and quick delivery

Mayor78:
Update on expenditure
Smartphone - N15,000
Trips of sharpsand x2@8,500 - 17000 (Although I sent N22,870 to my friend) he keeps the change off course.

It was essential to add the smartphone as it was part of tools for the project.

N15,000 + N17,000 = N32,000

N32,000 + N208,600 = N240,600

Assuming I add the balance change of N5,870 (N22,870 - N17,000) from the money sent to my friend it would have brought the total cost to N246,470. But again adding it as part of expenses is debatable. Would I have given him that money if I was on ground, in that circumstance, No. Did I benefit from that tip, Yes, considering future savings to be made from his price verifications. Again if I am on ground, I may have spent more than that on him by stealth, lunch, shak up etc! So is the change part of project expenditures? The jury is out!

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 12:37pm On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:

Damn we are lucky at PH them I did mine for N90 Bore hole plus Pump inclussive.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 12:39pm On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:

My son would ask, Are you joking me Dad?,
@idris, are you joking me. I was even worried that the 35bags is just too much just as @Dieumerci was wondering, I'm too!. We are using Elephant, does it make any difference, and what is your mixture ratio. Share further as Imimplore others with experience to share with us . Off 50pcs/bag can do the job, what's the point wasting cement.

I did mine @45 tabs per bag.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by PRODUTIM1(m): 12:39pm On Mar 08, 2016
Congrats OP, may ur dead body never be sent home. Am also doing mine and at finishing level. Hoping to move in before Easter by the grace of God.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by tomdon(m): 12:41pm On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:
While waiting for the drawings, I enquired and got the following prices for start up materials;

Bag of cement N1,500
Trip of sharp sand - N12,000
Moulding of 9" block -- N800 per bag
Tanker of water - N4000

Given the above quote I have gone ahead to send the sum of N208,600.00 and delegated my cousin to procure cement, and sharp sand (river sand) and the needful to start moulding some blocks. I intend to start with moulding my own blocks rather than buy. I’m not particularlg in a hurry neither would I be rushing the project. Anyway, I don’t have any stash of or the bulk cash to rush the project to completion even if I wanted to. As a salaried worker, monthly expenditures would often suffice, and at best, bi-weekly procurement plan when condition allows. One thing am sure of is that it will not be one year, one block.

The sum above is assumed to cover the following
50 bags of cement N75,000
7 trips of sand N84,000
Moulding of 50 bags @N800/bag - N40,000
Thanks of water /2@4,000 - N8,000

Total N207,000

was promised that the materials will be ready today and work will start tomorrow. I will let you know if my instructions were followed. God help me!

followes

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 12:42pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:
Can I ask how many Bucket do you have per yip? Mine was 5 buckets cost N28K
good one,must say I didn't go into those detailing. will sure find out

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 12:43pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Damn we are lucky at PH them I did mine for N90 Bore hole plus Pump inclussive.

you mean 90k for borehole?

please send me contact ASAP
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 12:46pm On Mar 08, 2016
redcap:

Pls which parrt of Anambra.8k is a good price.
Abia to be precise.
but it seems he has gotten it cheaper though, he said he has seen one of 8500
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 12:51pm On Mar 08, 2016
idris4r83:
lolz! We even work with some of the blocks in site today. When preparing blocks, mixture ratio and watering is the topmost priority. U can mold 25pcs of blocks and I mould 50 with the same one bag of cement it might interest you to know that with proper watering the 50 can be stronger than 25. The key factor is to use the appropriate sand and water the blocks for like good 3 to 4 days morning and evening. And again dangote cement is not as good as bua cement when moulding blocks. Am moulding like 2000blocks may be before this week runs out I will try to create a thread with pictures and share it to d house.

please, who is moulding for you,I need the contact, even I have to pay teefair down to Abia, I don't mind.

I did 45blocks per bag, but if I can get 50 with quality I don't mind.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 12:55pm On Mar 08, 2016
Mayor78:

Thanks,
I am learning from you guys.
Hope that building whey you see around your site no dey too close to your house, otherwise yahwaa don enter your courtyard adventure.

It's quite far from me but still on the thoroughfare.

I'm blessed with bungalows on all sides.

I like the traction you've made already, very impressive grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
PRODUTIM1:
Congrats OP, may ur dead body never be sent home. Am also doing mine and at finishing level. Hoping to move in before Easter by the grace of God.

Congratulations my Brother.

I like celebrating with good people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Roofing A 3 Bedroom Block Of 4 Flat In Lagos / Akowonjo: Fire Service Trucks Arrive Burning House Without Water / Petrol Tanker Burnt In Egbeda Estate, Lagos. Properties Destroyed (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.