Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,934 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:04 AM

Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad (25907 Views)

"My Sister Sold My Land In Ogun" - Deported Man Who Came Back From Abroad / Vacant / Do You Import Building Materials From Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 12:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukazu:

you mean 90k for borehole?

please send me contact ASAP
Yes Oh in PH
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by kenjava20: 12:59pm On Mar 08, 2016
for the 9inches block they should be able to get at least 45blocks per bag of cement. while for the 6inches should be around 50blocks per bag of cement. most of the time the reason why the number of 9inches reduces is because of the stress it takes in carrying it and getting it done. but the one your cousin produce would still be strong.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 1:00pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Ahaha baba you beat me to it
@Mayor welcome to the best thread on NL..This is the best we can do bear something in your heart. Put it on paper and make it go live. We are all here doing same from USA Canada to the UK and South Africa. There is wealth of expirience here to guide you through and mass savings tips as well.Ijebu guys are present here too** Runs quickly to hide from U know who** grin grin

grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by ewizard1: 1:40pm On Mar 08, 2016
Nice thread!

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 1:41pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:
Yes Oh in PH
bros I need contact ASAP
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by innocent1(m): 2:08pm On Mar 08, 2016
I will really learn a lot on this threand. By His grace I will be staring mine by May this year. This forum will be of help to me.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 2:36pm On Mar 08, 2016
idris4r83:
35pcs of blocks per bag of cement? That's outrageous. It's damn too dare o. If it's 35pcs it's better to buy engine compressed blocks cos the price will even b cheaper. Anything short of 50pcs of 9inches blocks per bag is a loss. At least 50 should b target point per bag if not then no gain sir.
if this man is a builder,you people should beware oo,na this kin people dey build houses wey dey collapse o.even a developer won't dare to use 1bag to mould 50 blocks.shu? Say wetin happen now?

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 2:38pm On Mar 08, 2016
idris4r83:
lolz! We even work with some of the blocks in site today. When preparing blocks, mixture ratio and watering is the topmost priority. U can mold 25pcs of blocks and I mould 50 with the same one bag of cement it might interest you to know that with proper watering the 50 can be stronger than 25. The key factor is to use the appropriate sand and water the blocks for like good 3 to 4 days morning and evening. And again dangote cement is not as good as bua cement when moulding blocks. Am moulding like 2000blocks may be before this week runs out I will try to create a thread with pictures and share it to d house.
oga unless you are using stone dust to mix,this is a very wrong mixing ratio

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by cmonek(m): 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2016
Cool thread.. @OP, All the best bro.. The thread is really encouraging for me who is yet to start though, VERY SOON... Goodluck bro

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 2:41pm On Mar 08, 2016
southniyikaye:
oga unless you are using stone dust to mix,this is a very wrong mixing ratio

Ultimately this is why I decided to simply buy my blocks and from the source. Oh and to not negotiate the price.

Hopefully the Blockmaker/seller will be fair to me.

Because if you don't sit there and validate each and every mix then all na wash.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 2:46pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukazu:

bros I need contact ASAP
Ok no wahala make I reach house the digits dey my expense book.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 2:57pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Ok no wahala make I reach house the digits dey my expense book.

Let me know where you dey hide that baton for Murtala make I pick am next week grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Hezolad07(m): 3:46pm On Mar 08, 2016
I gbadun ur advise brother. Thanks n God bless us all
BrabusNG:
Congrats Hon. Mayor78,

Interestingly, I never read it anywhere dat dem dey catch late comer for home ownership. Take your time, the bottomline is do your best to get it right.

Even if it's only one that fate allow us to have, let that one be worthwhile.

#askme Chateau de Brabus was built between 2010 and 2015. And we are yet to do the final paint work (I just did first coats and decide to chill out). Anyone who feels it's too late can give me fund to complete the rest work to taste. grin I'll gladly take it and still take my time to judiciously spend it.

Enjoy all the intrigues, suprises and disappointments that come along. It's part of the fun. May God add more bricks and mortar to your project. Amen.

Wishing you good success.
BrabusNG:
Congrats Hon. Mayor78,

Interestingly, I never read it anywhere dat dem dey catch late comer for home ownership. Take your time, the bottomline is do your best to get it right.

#askme Chateau de Brabus was built between 2010 and 2015. And we are yet to do the final paint work (I just did first coats and decide to chill out). Anyone who feels it's too late can give me fund to complete the rest work to taste. grin I'll gladly take it and still take my time to judiciously spend it.

Enjoy all the intrigues, suprises and disappointments that come along. It's part of the fun. May God add more bricks and mortar to your project. Amen.

BrabusNG:
Congrats Hon. Mayor78,

3 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by princejones(m): 5:14pm On Mar 08, 2016
Mr major you already on point doing well in your management approach and l see the work going very far before you know it,more grace

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 6:21pm On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Let me know where you dey hide that baton for Murtala make I pick am next week grin
Ah Baba the baton dey PHC Int, however I go post am go MM to wait for U. cheesy
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 6:24pm On Mar 08, 2016
Chukazu:

bros I need contact ASAP
That number as promised. He won't remember though as contact fru the Mrs.
But he did mine at farm rd off East West rd.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 6:47pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:

Ah Baba the baton dey PHC Int, however I go post am go MM to wait for U. cheesy

So na una dey fly London to Port Harcourt direct?

Ambode and Oba of Lagos must hear this grin

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by erico2k2(m): 6:55pm On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

So na una dey fly London to Port Harcourt direct?

Ambode and Oba of Lagos must hear this grin
grin grin grin
Dose una brothers for MM Lasgidis too worry. PH is stress free.30 mins frm my house and madam is parked outside the door waiting. No police wahala.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Ilaje44(m): 7:48pm On Mar 08, 2016
BrabusNG:

Whatsapp call or Viber calls to get live video update if necessary.

Sow a smartphone into the life of your site manager.

@Mayor78

Data is not all that reliable, and most importantly cheap in Nigeria. Else, Skype, WhatsApp, and Viber would be great choices. I don't know where you live, but I have been using www.rebtel.com for a number of years now. They are not the cheapest, but cheaper than Skype (the paid service) to Nigeria at least, and call quality is better than most other VOIP services. Give it a try.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 8:11pm On Mar 08, 2016
Ilaje44:

@Mayor78

Data is not all that reliable, and most importantly cheap in Nigeria. Else, Skype, WhatsApp, and Viber would be great choices. I don't know where you live, but I have been using www.rebtel.com for a number of years now. They are not the cheapest, but cheaper than Skype (the paid service) to Nigeria at least, and call quality is better than most other VOIP services. Give it a try.

I stopped using Rebtel and now using Boss Revolution from the US. Cheaper.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Ilaje44(m): 8:27pm On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Why did you stop using rebtel? I compared the tariffs, Rebtel is a tick cheaper than Boss Revolution in my case. I pay 3 cent per minute, actually 2.5 which however is due to the fact that I am an old customer.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Ilaje44(m): 8:29pm On Mar 08, 2016
Ilaje44:

Why did you stop using rebtel? I compared the tariffs, Rebtel is a tick cheaper than Boss Revolution in my case. I pay 3 Euro cent per minute, actually 2.5 which however is due to the fact that I am an old customer.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 08, 2016
Ilaje44:

Why did you stop using rebtel? I compared the tariffs, Rebtel is a tick cheaper than Boss Revolution in my case. I pay 3 cent per minute, actually 2.5 which however is due to the fact that I am an old customer.

Rates.

Boss is 3 cents per minute to Rebtels 8.9 cents per minute.

Prefers Boss iPhone app.

Rebtel had an unlimited deal previously that was sweet.

Boss for me for now until something better and cheaper comes out.

Will be giving smartphones to frequent contacts so we can use WhatsApp more.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by mufutau55(m): 9:35pm On Mar 08, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Same here.... but I no be Baba Ijebu o. smiley

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Chukazu: 10:02pm On Mar 08, 2016
erico2k2:
08033401033 That number as promised. He won't remember though as contact fru the Mrs. But he did mine at farm rd off East West rd.
thank u man. greatful

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 2:20am On Mar 09, 2016
3strike:
Mayor, first of all I want to congratulate you for taking a very bold step building from diaspora. Some of us did the same and so u can too. IMO case I dont even know where my building dey if they no take me there. I met the land seller on NL, builder on NL and a lot of good motivations here too.

Here are my 2cents

It is very important to negotiate well. Save all the $ u can cos u will surely need it.

As maverick said, avoid involving families and friends...you will thank us later.

Feel free to ask questions if you are ever in doubt and make sure u get more than 3 estimates before u go with anyone.

For the most part I havent seen anyone on nairaland property section claiming to be a high-roller tho other than people who claim they will import all the materials for their so call "building" from abroad yet they cant afford to pay 1500 for dangote cements..Trust me u will see people here who claim to be building but all they do is disturbing public peace with boring pictures of sand filling for months....they talk on how they want to import every thing from abroad including water..opening threads on how to import padlocks and other ridiculous stuffs... Its all talk and no action. Pls dont for one sec get carried away...just dont lose focus and use what u can conveniently source locally. #stimulatenaijaeconomy.

As for the person who commented above you.. here below is what we found out about him after all the bragados and am serious

My Chairman, God will bless you for your encouragements and words of wisdom. As for importation of materials, surely all materials I would use have to be sourced from Naij except the cash off course. As I am not building an estate (even if), the cost of importing (for individual use) is too enormous to comprehend. As we well knew starting with the cost of buying, hauling to port, consigning to Lagos Port, and indeed clearing, and hauling to site with the attendant risks, etc all are not ignorable.

Again the time to run around shopping for bargain in the industrial complexes, merchant outlets is not there. Even with the time, again remember that without Building Material Trade Licence you can not buy the materials at wholesale prices from merchant stores and bulk traders even during Clearance Sales, so you rarely buy at bargain price anyway.

Remember it is building materials (not mobile phones that you can hand-carry), so you essentially need at least a 20ft container indeed a 40 feeter to contain your building wares, toilet and kitchen sinks, baths, lister, Mechanical and electrical items, doors, windows, tiles, roofing sheets etc depending on the size of your project, But whether 20ft or 40ft, independent of other costs, the cost of shipping and clearing would be very close to if not more than N2m. Men! that's your roof done right there with that cash! I don't have that much cash for frivolities. By the way where will I stop importing, furniture's, electronics, home deco's, where?

Fair play to those that can afford them to. One of the joys of life is to do what keeps you happy in so far they are within a reasonable acceptable norm.

Most essentially, remember I'm building a family home where I hope to where finances allows often bring my family for holidays, which connotes that I'm looking forward to quality times with my wife and children playing and running around the compound (as Spyder888 would say) in my village, in my country, in our home. I wouldn't jeopardise the chance of realising that dream by using my off-work periods to run around counties looking to load a container of building materials. I simply cannot afford the time to do that instead of attending to unending but essential domestic duties here (school runs, baby sitting and children home works, cutting grass, family outings, taking the boys to and from football training's and matches, our girl to ballet classes etc) and above all, relax and be 'married' with my wife LOL! I don't want to loose my wife and family before I finish the Naija house. Too old and ugly to re-marry and start-over LOL!

So to me, it makes quite a lot of sense economically, socially, and emotionally, to buy my materials in Naij. We have high quality materials for building in Naij, you just have to pay a little bit more getting guys to shop around and that's the deal.

Thanks again for your advise, please don't fail to keep them coming as I expect you would.

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Nobody: 2:50am On Mar 09, 2016
Mayor78:

My Chairman, God will bless you for your encouragements and words of wisdom. As for importation of materials, surely all materials I would use have to be sourced from Naij except the cash off course. As I am not building an estate (even if), the cost of importing (for individual use) is too enormous to comprehend. As we well knew starting with the cost of buying, hauling to port, consigning to Lagos Port, and indeed clearing, and hauling to site with the attendant risks, etc all are not ignorable.

Again the time to run around shopping for bargain in the industrial complexes, merchant outlets is not there. Even with the time, again remember that without Building Material Trade Licence you can not buy the materials at wholesale prices from merchant stores and bulk traders even during Clearance Sales, so you rarely buy at bargain price anyway.

Remember it is building materials (not mobile phones that you can hand-carry), so you essentially need at least a 20ft container indeed a 40 feeter to contain your building wares, toilet and kitchen sinks, baths, lister, Mechanical and electrical items, doors, windows, tiles, roofing sheets etc depending on the size of your project, But whether 20ft or 40ft, independent of other costs, the cost of shipping and clearing would be very close to if not more than N2m. Men! that's your roof done right there with that cash! I don't have that much cash for frivolities. By the way where will I stop importing, furniture's, electronics, home deco's, where?

Fair play to those that can afford them to. One of the joys of life is to do what keeps you happy in so far they are within a reasonable acceptable norm.

Most essentially, remember I'm building a family home where I hope to where finances allows often bring my family for holidays, which connotes that I'm looking forward to quality times with my wife and children playing and running around the compound (as Spyder888 would say) in my village, in my country, in our home. I wouldn't jeopardise the chance of realising that dream by using my off-work periods to run around counties looking to load a container of building materials. I simply cannot afford the time to do that instead of attending to unending but essential domestic duties here (school runs, baby sitting and children home works, cutting grass, family outings, taking the boys to and from football training's and matches, our girl to ballet classes etc) and above all, relax and be 'married' with my wife, otherwise my wife will throw me out of the house here before I finish the Naija house. LOL!

It makes quite a lot of sense economically, socially, and emotionally, to buy my materials in Naij. We have high quality materials for building in Naij, you just have to pay a little bit more getting guys to shop around and that's the deal.

Thanks again for your advise, please don't fail to keep them coming as I expect you would.

I was going to buy quite a lot of stuff from over here, my shipper here offered me a sweet deal on shipping household stuff and I have the source to get well priced items.

Now that I've discovered two people Senator Ben Bruce with his #BuyNaijaToGrowTheNaira and Mr. Strive Masiyiwa, Executive Chairman & Founder of the Econet Group. Between these two people I came to realize that I have to be the change that I seek. So I will be buying quite a bit of my stuff in Nigeria but some will still come from here, things like Carbon Dioxide sensor and smoke dectectors, wall switches, etc

Fun times ahead grin

2 Likes

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 2:55am On Mar 09, 2016
Chukazu:
@mayor OP.

the trip of sand is a bit on high side, I bought mine for 8k which is quite cheaper compare with 12k you were giving.

and is the same eastern part.

Thanks Chuks, I followed immediately on that price at the onset by sending a friend to verify the cost and he came back with N8,500. Before then my cousin has bought 7 trips for N84K@12K/trip. But after that, I have been buying at N8,500.

Thanks a lot for that and please share the cost of other materials you know of here to help guide my negotiations.
Many thanks again Chuks.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:04am On Mar 09, 2016
nijabazaar:
reading this feels like reading a blog, its like i am looking over your shoulders as you punch that calculator and sigh as you worry about the cost....almost poetic.

Best of luck, mr builder, you would build your magnficient Nollywood chateaux.

make sure your eyes is on the site manager, get updates from him almost every day

You can say that again, no be small, my calculator and notepads are running overdrive.
Thanks a lot, I need the luck my person.
Update is the key even when it cannot be 100% accurate, It often come handy to observing discrepancies from uncoordinated and inconsistent responses to accounting questions.
I look forward to the house being featured in Nollywood movies someday LOL!
Thanks Bazzar
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:08am On Mar 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Ahaha baba you beat me to it
@Mayor welcome to the best thread on NL..This is the best we can do bear something in your heart. Put it on paper and make it go live. We are all here doing same from USA Canada to the UK and South Africa. There is wealth of expirience here to guide you through and mass savings tips as well.Ijebu guys are present here too** Runs quickly to hide from U know who** grin grin

Nothing is small, keep the guides coming Eric, am sure well able to tap from your experiences. Time has called to show Ijebu skills in a niceway though, Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:16am On Mar 09, 2016
erico2k2:

Can I ask how many Bucket do you have per yip?
Mine was 5 buckets cost N28K

Oboy, I don't know of buckets ooo! The supply comes in tipper trips, perhaps that's what guys here call 5 tons I don't know. I dont know of buckets too. In my area in Anambra East, usuall tipper is Bedford and as I said the current cost of sharp sand is N8,500. Somebody here may help with further info or enquire from your suppliers and please share with us here.
Re: Applying Lessons From Nairaland To Micro-manage Building 5BDR Duplex From Abroad by Mayor78: 3:20am On Mar 09, 2016
erico2k2:

You are right.I did solid @30 to 35 per bag.

Eric You mean you did 9" solid blocks @30-35 per bag?

Isn't that too heavy to work with?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Akowonjo: Fire Service Trucks Arrive Burning House Without Water / Petrol Tanker Burnt In Egbeda Estate, Lagos. Properties Destroyed (Video) / Surulere Super Shopping Plaza On Fire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.