Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,634 members, 7,801,828 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:01 AM

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind (29896 Views)

[superstition] The Making Of Smart Morons / Poor But Silly [spirituality, Bane Of The Poor] / Foreign Religions: The Bane Of Nigeria Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:16pm On Feb 28, 2016
muskeeto2:

Hallo.

Lol ... wetin happen them don ban your account ?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 11:12pm On Mar 02, 2016
lepasharon:

Simply someone who realizes the delusion of religion

Agnostics and atheists aren't the same

Kindly enlighten me on some of these delusions. I'd like to see from your perspective.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by fearlesschicken: 2:54am On Mar 03, 2016
Nice one johny smiley

i don't understand some people on this thread, please lets condemn whats condemnable!

why shifting the topic to belief in God and what not....very annoying and silly. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:22am On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

I told you that identifying with a religion means nothing. Majority of them have stated that it doesn't matter in their lives. About 70% of people living in Russia for example say that religion has no importance in their lives. Even though they associate with christianity, it has no importance in their lives.

I take pragmatic approaches when discussing issues like a country's religious affiliation . Russia could send this guy to prison for a year for proclaiming his stance on atheism .

You always prevaricate and time after time , you get exposed and humiliated

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-man-faces-prison-under-anti-blaspshemy-laws-for-denying-existence-of-god-in-online-message-a6909516.html

Russia has anti-blasphemy laws which they adhere to very seriously . This atheist contravened and is being punished .
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by dalaman: 11:44am On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I take pragmatic approaches when discussing issues like a country's religious affiliation . Russia could send this guy to prison for a year for proclaiming his stance on atheism .

You always prevaricate and time after time , you get exposed and humiliated

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/russian-man-faces-prison-under-anti-blaspshemy-laws-for-denying-existence-of-god-in-online-message-a6909516.html

Russia has anti-blasphemy laws which they adhere to very seriously . This atheist contravened and is being punished .

The Russian dictator made laws to stifle people's civil liberty;s after a group used the cathedral to go against him. Putin then made sure he introduced legislation to check mate that excess. Blasphemy law or not about 70 percent of Russian say that religion does not matter in their lives deal with that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:05pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

The Russian dictator made laws to stifle people's civil liberty;s after a group used the cathedral to go against him. Putin then made sure he introduced legislation to check mate that excess. Blasphemy law or not about 70 percent of Russian say that religion does not matter in their lives deal with that.

Putin is now a dictator shocked . Since when ? You claimed that religion does affect the laws and principles of European country . I refuted that weak claim with a news that is just recent and still have the audacity to talk without shame undecided .

Russia is an extremely religious country now with a religious president cool
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by dalaman: 12:38pm On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Putin is now a dictator shocked . Since when ? You claimed that religion does affect the laws and principles of European country . I refuted that weak claim with a news that is just recent and still have the audacity to talk without shame undecided .

Russia is an extremely religious country now with a religious president cool

Putin has always been a dictator. 70 percent of Russian say that religion does not matter in their lives. Deal with that.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:47pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

Putin has always been a dictator. 70 percent of Russian say that religion does not matter in their lives. Deal with that.

So 100 million Russians said that Religion does not matter in their lives You must be chewing your weed , try smoking it . Russia , apparently , has religious laws . Since its a law in the country , it matters in their lives whether they or you like it or not .

The survey was done with an infinitesimal percent of Russia's total population - its insignificant and it does not voice the opinion of Russians

Deal with it bro kiss
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by dalaman: 12:50pm On Mar 04, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

So 100 million Russians said that Religion does not matter in their lives You must be chewing your weed , try smoking it . Russia , apparently , has religious laws . Since its a law in the country , it matters in their lives whether they or you like it or not .

The survey was done with infinitesimal percent of Russia's total population - its insignificant and it does not voice the opinion of Russians

Deal with it bro kiss

You are ignorant of how it;s down simple, you are not a statistician and you have no idea how statistics are conducted. I will not waste my time educating you on that. What ever makes you sleep well at night bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:54pm On Mar 04, 2016
dalaman:

You are ignorant of how it;s down simple, you are not a statistician and you have no idea how statistics are conducted. I will not waste my time educating you on that. What ever makes you sleep well at night bro.

I dont need to be a statistician to know how data are collected and extrapolation made . And I'm 101 percent sure you aint one . Its difficult to see your weak claims fall flat before your eyes .

Stay safe bro cool . Dont do drugs grin

1 Like

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by vooks: 4:38am On Mar 23, 2016
[size=1pt]
johnydon22:
[b][i]"Suffer not the witch to live" the pastor would quote from the ever poetic bible verse and is rewarded with an ear quaking "Amen" from the ever excited congregation.

You could see the pouring emotions of deep fear as they shout and pray for the witches and wizards in their villages, uncles and grandmums and mother in-laws always at the center of this suspicion to die.

You would see cases where continuous chants of "die! die!! die!!!" rents the air all meant for the alleged witch who supposedly by some spirity diabolical means is hindering their progress or health.

This is a sad reality of the Nigerian society..

People blame abstract concepts like 'witches, Wizards, demons and devils' for their misfortune but never themselves.

Such mindset is an extremely dangerous and disturbing and is exactly detrimental to the progress of such a person.

Nigerians should learn to shed themselves of such ludicrous mindset that their misfortunes are shenanigans of some Uncle in the village because such mindset instills that imaginary fear that makes you look for imaginary solutions that in actuality will never work.

I have said it time and again that anybody who blames every other person for their mistakes or misfortunes or conditions doesn't deserve to be trusted because they will blame every other but themselves for circumstances directly or indirectly is as a result of their own actions.

We are in a remarkable millennium of outstanding scientific breakthrough in every aspect of human endeavour.

We know that someone who breaks down and experiences severe seizure is neither possessed by any demon or having a demonic attack, that is a primitive way of rendering a diagnosis which is not only incorrect but far from ever being correct.

It is a shame that in this 21st century world, there are actually humans who still hold such beliefs and even hold it to be true, that is particularly insulting to the human intellect.

There was a time the European society was like this, every plague or unexplained event is attributed to some abstract ideas like witches, demons and co, it is known in human history as the dark ages.. we know how better off these society turned out after evolving pass such mindset.

I watched a documentary in the discovery Channel about a tribe deep in the African rain forest, oblivious of any form of civilization, in fact they still go about naked. These people still hold the belief that illnesses are caused by evil spirits and as such require sacrifices to heal.

The narrator was amazed how primitive such society is in this 21st century humans delude themselves with the notion that the whole world is almost civilized.

I shook my head, if only he knew we still experience this in a large scale even in a supposedly civilized society like Nigeria.

- A society where Children are being beaten up and abused while being accused of witch craft.

- 2 year olds are being left to die in the open because one idiot claims he is a witch

- Old women and men are being beaten to death by a mindless mob gripped hard in the shackles of a nameless imaginary danger or fear.

- A society where unidentified ailments are automatically works of devils and witches while in a sane clime it should have been empirically scrutinized to ascertain the actual result and in doing so save millions of lives in the future.

-The most sad of these is that this is also a society where people heap the blames of their own misfortunes on these abstract concepts.

Tell me how anybody can be a master of his situation when he thinks that he is a victim of that situation?

It is evidently clear that the victim's mindset diminishes the human potential, by not accepting responsibility for our actions and circumstances, we greatly reduce our ability to change them.

tell me how one can succeed when he thinks his situation is the handiwork of someone and something else and not himself and by doing so rather sees himself as the victim of that circumstance..

Your misfortunes are not as a result of witches and wizard or that weird looking uncle in the village.

No, we live in a random world of unstopping chain reactions of actions.

Good things and bad things happen and can to anybody at any time and where by accepting this we will learn to accept the reality of our own conditions and accept full responsibility for them only then can we proffer real solutions that can actually change them, chanting in churches or temples or bathing in rivers to change your situation are more like digging where you should be filling up.

Nigerian Nollywood i particularly also blame for a good percentage of this because they give a distorted view of reality but anyone who swallows such distortion is also part of his problem which is simplistic gullibility.

It is time Africans (Nigerians) stop falling preys to Babalawos, Alfas, temple masters, pastors who fill your heads with a complete imbecilic superstition and fear ..

Nobody can help you more than you and you can start by changing your mindset ... If you wear a red glass you will always see everything in a shade of red.

So too if you fear witches/wizards/demons and live with that fear, you will see every slight fall out or whiff of wind as actions of witches and wizard..

It is time to take off the red glass and rid yourself of that fear that can only diminish your own potentials..

Africans should wake and rid themselves of these pitiful reverence of nonsensical superstitions or it will be the bane of our development.

[/size]
What contribution have you made to Nigeria personally now that you are above superstition, apart from barking at it?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by vooks: 4:38am On Mar 23, 2016
lilliesboy:

I have no business with you in particular because imbeciles/woodheads like you can only educate toddlers. Where are your facts? What's Ethiopia economic ranking in Africa? Go sleep for gutter!
Don't ask m0ronic questions, Google is your friend
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by vooks: 4:40am On Mar 23, 2016
dalaman:

Without asking you to substantiate, since when was it about what they said?
99% of Muslims would probably tell you they are against extremism grin
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 08, 2016
johnydon22:
Of course .. For One to be Agnostic one would need to first disbelieve all the God(s) around before agreeing to the undecidability of those claims, that position makes one atheist.

You will see someone who believes in no God but still wouldn't like to be called atheist. . .

People need not address themselves as atheists or so if they find the label hard but it doesn't change the fact.

I am an agnostic atheist and i never leave the "atheist" part when saying that..

Think more likely people are atheists even when they don't yet agree with it or realize it yet.

Hmmm. İnteresting conversation overall.
İ have one question,pls.
Where does the human thought come from?
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by johnydon22(m): 8:56am On Apr 09, 2016
redwriter:

Hmmm. İnteresting conversation overall. İ have one question,pls. Where does the human thought come from?
From human neurological composition. . . Simply put (Nervous system) ** Brain**

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by lilliesboy(m): 12:16pm On Apr 09, 2016
vooks:

slowpoke, the same Google agrees that Ethiopia's economy is not even amongst first six(6) in Africa. Ethiopia's GDP or economic ranking in Africa is "9th," and this is just a recent growth. So what makes it so good? Go sleep!
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by lilliesboy(m): 12:17pm On Apr 09, 2016
vooks:

slowpoke, the same Google agrees that Ethiopia's economy is not even amongst first six(6) in Africa. Ethiopia's GDP or economic ranking in Africa is "9th," and this is just a recent growth. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_African_countries_by_GDP_(nominal) So what makes it so good? Go sleep!
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by mctowel01: 1:20am On Apr 26, 2016
virginboy1:

You see, one issue I have with most conventional Christians is that, they are averse to questions that has to do with logic. When curiosity triggers one to ask a certain question they tag it as blasphemy bla bla.

Up till now, no one can tell me where I was 1000 yrs ago
This is real deep.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 11:08am On Apr 26, 2016
dikachi04:
Trajan and Jony..
Are u two trying to say there is ntin such as witchcraft?!
The bible talks about powers on high, principalities,powers in the dark! And i believe its whr the witches opperate. Though Jesus' is mightier,supreme!
I undastand what Marvin is trying to say, cos the Word of God says 'hatred,fornicatn n the likes are as witchcraft'.
So with this biblical point u cn call any1 who exhibit such character a Witch!
THIS IS THE PROBLEM WE HAVING EVERY TIME THE BIBLE SAY THE BIBLE SAY NA UR PAPA WRITE M OK HOW MANY WITCHES HAVE U SEEN?? HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN FLY AT NIGHT?? HOW MANY HAVE U SEEN DISAPEAR??
Wake UP BRO THIS IS THE REAL WORLD NOT "BIBLE WORLD"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 11:18am On Apr 26, 2016
donkross1:
The bible says "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".
Ephesians 6:12 KJV

What does it mean in simpler terms?

It simply means we are wrestling against demons..

Who are demons?

They are the fallen angels that was hurled down from heaven alongside satan himself. Satan is their leader and they themselves have followers which includes witches, wizards, herbalist and so on..

How do you identify a witch?

It only takes a spirit filled or spiritual person to identify a witch.

Okay wait... If you say witches aren't in existence, where were you when Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa stopped the whole of the witches in africa from holding a meeting in Benin city ?

WAIT IS IT NOT STILL U THAT SAY "THERE IS NO SIN IN HEAVEN" SO HOW COME THIS ANGELS ARE FALLEN?? DOES THAT MEAN IF U MK UR IMAGINARY HEAVEN ANY SMALL SIN GOD WILL SEND U TOO HELL?? MIND U THE MUSLIM DO THINK ANGELS ARE MADE FROM LIGHT SO HOW COME THEY KNOW SIN?? DOES LIGHT BECOMES THE DARKNESS OR DOES IT GIVE WAY FOR DARKNESS??
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 11:53am On Apr 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

You are missing the point . Believing in God is admitting He is your Lord and Creator . Can you provide any compelling evidence that life has no creator .

Let me give you something to chew on .

Scientists recently discovered that outta 700 quintillion planets , the earth is unique . Now if you believe we got the uniqueness of earth - its propensity to support and sustain life -through serendipity then the demise of this planet would automatically mean the nascence of the existence of the universe was a pointless event . Energy was useless , matter was useless , intelligence was useless . Everything is useless .

Do you agree to do this ?
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH ALSO HAVE PROOF THAT THERE WAS LIFE IN MARS "ICE ON CLAY" AND BY THE YEAR 2025-2030 THEY ARE GONNA WARM UP THE PLANET THIS WOLD MK IT POSSIBLE FOR IT TO SUSTAIN LIFE U CAN DO A DEEP RESEARCH ON GOOGLE IF U WANT BUT ONE QUESTION FIRST LETS SAY THIS SCIENTIST DO SUCCEED AND AFTER 5 YEARS FROM THAT TIME PEOPLE START MIGRATING TO MARS AND THE WORLD THEN END AS UR STORY BOOK SAID WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO THOSE IN MARS I DO NOT RECALL PETER SAYING ANYTHING ABOUT THAT IN REVELATION
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 26, 2016
sukkot:
you mean is the earth flat ? of course the earth is flat. NASA has been lying to us all this time. they never went to the moon neither. but its a flat plane in a globe. kinda like this

SO THOSE VIDEO FOOTAGE WERE WHAT?? THE ROCKET FLYING TO THE MOON WAS WHAT THE UNIVERSE MAY BE FLAT BUT EARTH IS ROUND LIKE SOMETIMES I WONDER HOW PEOPLE THINK DO U EVEN WATCH DISCOVERY CHANNEL AT ALL?? THERE U WILL SEE WITH UR EYES HOW THINGS ARE DONE
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 26, 2016
sukkot:
yup as well as God and all his spiritual angels. there is a spiritual world as well as a physical world. when you sleep your spirit does not need to power your body because you are at rest. so at night when you sleep your spirit leaves your body and returns to the spiritual realm to get instructions from the elohim or just to wander around. then when it returns into your body in the morning is when you wake up. sometimes it returns before you wake up and the message it receives is played over to you in your sleep in a dream. or sometimes your dream could just be messages you collected throughout the day replaying itself back to you. but ermmm yeahhhh there is a very vibrant spiritual world we return to when we sleep or when we die and in that world ? we exist in other dimensions
WHY WHY WHY CAN U SEE HOW SILLY U ARE THINKING BIKO PLS WHAT HAPPEN WHEN ANIMALS SLEEP TOO ABEG ANSWER O
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Sladem05: 9:59am On Mar 30
KingEbukasBlog:
Another ignorant post from Johnydon22 . The Chinese are the MOST superstitious people on earth but have the fastest growing economy in the world - their rate of development makes America insecure . Ethiopia is a very religious country and has the fastest growing economy in Africa , many business reports say they'll soon upstage China . Norway is the most advanced in the world and has over 76 percent of its population identify as Christians.

Invariably , atheists equate unbelief in a deity to advancement - an egregious display of ignorance , a flagrant denial in the face of facts , and should be ashamed of their futile attempts to delineate the religious as backward .

I am not saying that despicable practices should be condoned but they do not impede advancement or development

That is absolutely not true. What makes you think Ethiopia is doing well?

The Chinese are some of the most rational people in the world that would be against such nonsense. These things just bring poverty and suffering to the land.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Sladem05: 10:01am On Mar 30
KingEbukasBlog:
Another ignorant post from Johnydon22 . The Chinese are the MOST superstitious people on earth but have the fastest growing economy in the world - their rate of development makes America insecure . Ethiopia is a very religious country and has the fastest growing economy in Africa , many business reports say they'll soon upstage China . Norway is the most advanced in the world and has over 76 percent of its population identify as Christians.

Invariably , atheists equate unbelief in a deity to advancement - an egregious display of ignorance , a flagrant denial in the face of facts , and should be ashamed of their futile attempts to delineate the religious as backward .

I am not saying that despicable practices should be condoned but they do not impede advancement or development

Westerners are nominally religious 😂 they put it on paper their religion but in reality no a growing number of them continue to disbelieve in it.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Sladem05: 10:09am On Mar 30
KingEbukasBlog:

Superstition or belief in a deity does not stop advancement . I gave countries who are doing fine and are both superstitious and religious . People mock the North because of their poverty rate and believe Islam - their religion - is the cause . But look at UAE , Saudi Arabia , Qatar and see how hard they ball . And they are very strict with their religious beliefs - execution of criminal offenders by beheading , flogging of sex offenders in public , misogyny etc .

The Gulf doesn’t count either as it wasn’t them that built it. The Gulf was built by foreigners. It was built on slave labor. The people that built all that fancy infrastructure were Germans, Indians, Chinese, Egyptians and so on not Arabs themselves. It was slave labor. Such regions are only wealthy cause of the resources that they have. But in the long run, an economy based on the extraction of raw materials is inferior to an economy based on the productivity of its citizens. That’s why the gulf will struggle when oil is less demanded. They will struggle because they haven’t put anywhere near enough money towards Science and Technology. Instead it is to their religious festivals.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Sladem05: 10:15am On Mar 30
Godsonkemz:
We can't be ignorant of the devices of the enemy. These witches do exist believe it or not. If you doubt their existence, visit these areas where they are very dominant such as awka, calabar, eket, benin, ijebu ode and your village mayn't be exempted.

Where were they when the colonisers arrived? 😂😂what an absolute joke. Europeans came subjugated the land, made them bow before them, burnt villages and shrines. Nothing happened to them.
Re: Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind by Sladem05: 10:17am On Mar 30
blueAgent:

Correct .

Superstition is different because it is more symbolic. They don’t believe in this nonsense for the large part. The Enlightenment meant that.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Apostle Little-David Foc: ‘Atiku Will Win 2019 Presidential Election’ / Pastor Turns Born-Again Preacher And Traditionalist (Pics) / Prophet Jeremiah Omoto Fufeyin Gave Youths N3 Million (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.