Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,932 members, 7,799,146 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others (17094 Views)

Rickey Tarfa Sues Mtn, Efcc, Others For N5b / Rickey Tarfa, Arraigned; Floods Court With 90 Sans / 32 SANs Accompany Rickey Tarfa To Court, Sues EFCC For N2.5billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DONSMITH123(m): 3:17pm On Feb 24, 2016
Embattled Senior Advocate of Nigeria, Mr. Rickey Tarfa, on Wednesday withdrew the N5bn fundamental rights enforcement suit he filed against the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission and four others over an alleged violation of his right to privacy.

Following the withdrawal of the suit, Justice Mohammed Idris awarded a punitive cost of N10, 000 against Tarfa in favour of the five respondents. The respondents are the EFCC, its Acting Chairman, Ibrahim Magu, Mrs. Rashidatou Abdou, Mr. Femi Falana (SAN) and MTN Nigeria Communications Limited.

Tarfa had filed the suit following his arrest on February 5 by EFCC operatives on the premises of the Lagos State High Court in Igbosere, where he allegedly hid two alleged suspects of economic and financial crimes in his car to prevent their arrest.

His two mobile phones and his Mercedez Benz SUV with Registration No. KJA 700 CG, had been confiscated by the EFCC.

But in his N5bn fundamental rights enforcement action, Tarfa had urged the court to declare that the respondents violated his right to privacy protected by Section 37 of the Constitution, when, without a court order, MTN allegedly made the call log on his mobile line, 08034600000, available to the EFCC and the others respondents, who in turn allegedly released the information to Sahara Reporters and other online media.

The senior advocate had also urged the court to hold that the respondents acted unlawfully when they accessed his bank details, clients’ information, private and confidential information contained in his iPhone 6 and Samsung 6 without a court order or any reasonable cause.

He had urged the court to award N5bn damages against the respondents in his favour, stressing that no amount of money could adequately redress the “unquantifiable and irreparable damage done to him, his reputation, his business and his goodwill.”

But a lawyer from his chambers, O. Oladele, appeared before Justice Idris on Wednesday with an ex parte application to discontinue the case.

Oladele gave no reason for Tarfa’s decision to withdraw the case.

The EFCC lawyers, Mr. Wahab Shittu and Rotimi Oyedepo, who also appeared in court, said they were not opposed to the withdrawal of the suit but urged the court to award a punitive cost against Tarfa.

“My Lord, we have no objection to the discontinuance of the suit but we want the court to award a punitive cost against the applicant; our names have been flying around in the major newspapers since yesterday,” Shittu said.

But Oladele argued that the EFCC’s lawyers had no right of reply because his application was an ex parte application.

Besides, he said the respondents could not be demanding for cost because Tarfa had not served them with the suit.

But Shittu argued that since the filing of the suit was widely reported in the newspapers, it was tantamount to serving the respondents by substituted means.

In a short ruling, Justice Idris struck out the suit and ordered Tarfa to pay a cost of N10, 000 to each of the respondents.

http://www.punchng.com/rickey-tarfa-withdraws-n5bn-suit-against-efcc-others/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by feedthenation(m): 3:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
This SAN should face proper justice now, he should understand that things are not the way they used to be...

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by OsusuMustFlow(f): 3:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
In a short ruling, Justice Idris struck out the suit and ordered Tarfa to pay a cost of N10, 000 to each of the respondents.

That money too small na...Osusu Must Flow

20 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 3:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
Onankpaba come comment grin

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 3:23pm On Feb 24, 2016
OsusuMustFlow:

That money too small na...Osusu Must Flow
Seriously my friend DONSMITH123 The owo/ego/kudi too small.

He for pay like 20 million Naira.

6 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by babyfaceafrica: 3:24pm On Feb 24, 2016
Shameless lawyers everywhere

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DONSMITH123(m): 3:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
grin grin grin grin grin you need to see how many SANs Rickey flood court with

SeverusSnape:

Seriously my friend DONSMITH123 The owo/ego/kudi too small.

He for pay like 20 million Naira.

6 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DONSMITH123(m): 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2016
seriously bro

feedthenation:
This SAN should face proper justice now, he should understand that things are not the way they used to be...

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by seunmsg(m): 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2016
Reality is finally setting in for the corrupt lawyer. The era of threatening government agencies with frivolous law suit is over. This is the era of change, the era of 'stealing is not corruption' is over. He should go and face his trial properly now.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 3:27pm On Feb 24, 2016
DONSMITH123:
grin grin grin grin grin you need to see how many SANs Rickey flood court with

Fear catch me that day. The largest congregation of SANs.

6 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 3:29pm On Feb 24, 2016
seunmsg:
Reality is finally setting in for the corrupt lawyer. The era of threatening government agencies with frivolous law suit is over. This is the era of change, the era of 'stealing is not corruption' is over. He should go and face his trial properly now.

Yes, Era of negative change and "I blame The last administration".

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by stephnie1(f): 3:29pm On Feb 24, 2016
ok
Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by seunmsg(m): 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2016
SeverusSnape:

You can see negative change through your bigoted eyes but for me, I see positive change.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DONSMITH123(m): 3:32pm On Feb 24, 2016
let see how it turns out
SeverusSnape:

Fear catch me that day. The largest congregation of SANs.
Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DONSMITH123(m): 3:33pm On Feb 24, 2016
you finally answered thyself. No more arguement. grin

SeverusSnape:

4 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SeverusSnape(m): 3:36pm On Feb 24, 2016
seunmsg:

You can see negative change through your bigoted eyes but for me, I see positive change.
Go into the streets and inquire for yourself. You see positive change, Like that of the budget of 'change' and the Naira. Mtcheeww...

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by papparatzzi2013: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2016
His eyes have cleared now.

He is dealing with PMB's govt and not one lilly livered Clueless ineffectual buffon.

Now is the time to take the corrupt SAN and judge to the cleaners.

The shameless follow-come SANs that followed him to the court, should be ashamed of themselves.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by dre11(m): 3:58pm On Feb 24, 2016
he thinks it's business as usual.....

but he doesn't know that the tide has changed.....

am sure when he comes to court again..... those SANs that did follow him will still "pack the bus" again

2 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by babdap: 3:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
Watching in 3D

2 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by SweetLove0(f): 4:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
BETTER

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Owoloku1: 4:27pm On Feb 24, 2016
This guy is just abusing and destroying that SAN title.....

3 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 24, 2016
Fellow Nairalanders, pls let's share this information until it gets to President Buhari.

The Outrageous Cost of the Nigerian e-Passport.

President Mohammadu Buhari - May I use this medium to commend you for your anti-corruption crusade and your commitment to ensure the reparation of funds taken from the Nigerian coffers through questionable means.

I am also in total support of your rejection to joining the Coalition of Islamic States since you're aware that Nigeria is a secular state and so cannot support anything that offends the sensibilities of the Nigerian people.

My President, it seems officials of the Nigerian Government, through the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS) has devised a very innovative way of ripping off Nigerians, not content with the daily looting of treasuries, bribes and all other forms of corruption perpetrated on the Nigerian people, home and abroad.

According to the statement signed by the former Comptroller General of the Nigerian Immigration Service - David Parradang; the 64-page frequent travellers passport would be obtained at 20,000Naira.

Passports for 18 to 60 year-olds would go for N15,000 while those for people below 18 years as well as 60 years and above would be procured at N8,750.

Also, the statement said new charge for change of data/lost passport would cost N20,000.

Similarly, change of names due to marriage, divorce and death of spouse would be effected at N8,750 while change of data on request would attract N30,000 as processing fees. 

Before the introduction of the 64-page frequent travellers passport, the processing fee for the regular 32-page passport has always been 20,000Naira and above depending on the passport office location.

I was at the ikeja passport office lastweek and I met an immigration officer who told me that the 32-page regular passport goes for 30,000Naira while the 64-page passport, although unavailable, goes for 37,000Naira.
Of course, knowing our government officials, they will embezzle the vast proceeds from their ripoffs, and only an infinitesimal amount of it will end up in the government coffers.

We are aware that these corrupt public officials are already entrenched in the pool of bribery and extortion from the previous government, so, Mr. President, what we ask is very simple.

1.) We want the Comptroller General of the Nigerian Immigration Service (CGI) who is known (including his predecessors) to be collecting returns from all the Comptrollers of the Passport offices across the federation, including the Deputy Comptroller General of Immigration (DCG) & all the Assistant Comptroller of Immigration (ACI) - to be fired & replaced with young & competent immigration officers, preferably an ASI 1 (Assistant Superintendent of Immigration) who has never seen 1Million Naira in his entire life.

2.) We want all the Comptrollers heading each of the Passport offices across the federation to be fired & replaced with young & competent officers, preferably an ASI 2 (Assistant Superintendent of Immigration) who has never seen 1Million Naira in his entire life.

3.) We want the official amount of the Nigerian e-passport to be strictly enforced and the passport collection date MUST not exceed 2 days, otherwise the Comptroller of such Passport Office should be dismissed without pension or gratuity & replaced with a junior officer.

Mr. President, remember that the vast majority of Nigerians who queued up in the blazing hot sun to vote you into office based on your time-tested integrity & reputation are at the receiving ends of this immigration rip-offs, bribery & extortion, and if this immigration fraudulent billing practices go unchecked, it is your legacy, integrity & reputation that will be on the line when you leave.

After the Immigration leadership is overhauled & sorted out, then Prisons, Road Safety and the Police should be next.

“The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference” - Bess Myerson.

I remain Zoharariel Underscore Obatala - Nagode!

CC: Omenka, Passingshot, TonyeBarcanista, Obiageli, Beremx, NgeneUkwenu, Mizmycoli, Modath, PentiumPro, LRNZH.

14 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Flexherbal(m): 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
Who first send am, make e start wetin e nor go fit finish.

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by DankemzI(m): 4:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
Why the sudden withdrawal
Someone has been intimidatedcheesy

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Healthybiz: 4:57pm On Feb 24, 2016
smiley
Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by jmichlins(m): 4:58pm On Feb 24, 2016
So after storming the court with 97 SAN him fear comot case.

5 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Dottore: 5:00pm On Feb 24, 2016
Confused lawyer

2 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Abugab(m): 5:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
Make e no withdraw am now.
Criminal SAN who has stolen justice for too long.
The game has changed and Buhari the game changer is now in charge.

2 Likes

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by skedemi(m): 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
N10,000 ke ...that's too small ...upon all d SANs we y e carry go court

1 Like

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by MrDavidson: 5:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
A saner SAN must have cautioned him to tow this honorable path. He was grievously complicating matters for himself. He could be the first dubious senior lawyer to go to jail.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rickey Tarfa Withdraws N5bn Suit Against EFCC, Others by Generalkorex(m): 5:06pm On Feb 24, 2016
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Didn’t Use Public Funds For Presidential Campaign, Stop Calling For Probe / Bitumen Shipment To Nigeria By Geneva Energy Firm Commences / Dogara Writes IG: Governor Mohammed Abubakar Wants To Set Me Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.