Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,284 members, 7,807,960 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:06 AM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88302 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by RedboneSmith(m): 8:55am On Dec 05, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:
Listen all Igbos, I have nothing against you. Yes, what I say may and probably will be harsh, but is just so that you understand the truth. We the people of Opobo are not igbo. Yes Jaja was born in Ameigbo, but for his adolescence to adulthood he was in Bonny(Ibani) and Opobo(Opubo). If was our Amanyanabo who shaped him into the legend he is today, not Ameigbo. He led the Manilla house to the area we now call Opobo. If truly Jaja saw himself as a Igbo man, why did he name is Opubo, after his Master, meaning one who is big.

You Igbos have a wonderful culture with an amazing language. Why do you feel the need to take my ancestors legacy

If I have said anything incorrect Opobo's history please let the TRUE Awo of Opobo people correct me.

What you said isn't harsh, bro. The Igbo nationalists on this forum don't know when to stop.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2016
RedboneSmith:

What you said isn't harsh, bro. The Igbo nationalists on this forum don't know when to stop.

Thank you my brother
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by chin011: 11:53am On Dec 05, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:
Listen all Igbos, I have nothing against you. Yes, what I say may and probably will be harsh, but is just so that you understand the truth. We the people of Opobo are not igbo. Yes Jaja was born in Ameigbo, but for his adolescence to adulthood he was in Bonny(Ibani) and Opobo(Opubo). If was our Amanyanabo who shaped him into the legend he is today, not Ameigbo. He led the Manilla house to the area we now call Opobo. If truly Jaja saw himself as a Igbo man, why did he name the area Opubo, after his Master, meaning one who is big.

You Igbos have a wonderful culture with an amazing language. Why do you feel the need to take my ancestors legacy?

If I have said anything incorrect about Opobo's history please let the TRUE Awo of Opobo people correct me.

As long as the Joseph was taken as a slave to the land of Egypt But he remains A Jew that is JAJA OF OPOBO REMAIN IGBO

4 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 6:33pm On Dec 05, 2016
chin011:

As long as the Joseph was taken as a slave to the land of Egypt But he remains A Jew that is JAJA OF OPOBO REMAIN IGBO

and yet he refereed to himself as a ibani man. Tell me, if he really wanted to hold on to be igbo, why did he not name Opubo(Opobo) after his father or a igbo name. Why did he not refer to himself as eze?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 1:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
Unimaginable123:
opobo people are igbos

No were not
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 1:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

No were not
I have a colleague that's igbo. We are even in ohaneze meeting together in my office. It was d day I asked him his hometown that he said "opobo"

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 1:43pm On Dec 06, 2016
RedboneSmith:

u speak Igbo and say ur language is not igbo. Who is deceiving who?

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 10:20pm On Dec 06, 2016
Unimaginable123:
I have a colleague that's igbo. We are even in ohaneze meeting together in my office. It was d day I asked him his hometown that he said "opobo"

Did he even say he was igbo, or are you yet again inferring that speaking a language makes you apart of that demographic
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 10:24pm On Dec 06, 2016
Unimaginable123:
u speak Igbo and say ur language is not igbo. Who is deceiving who?

You speak english and yet are not white, since when does a common language become a native language?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 10:40pm On Dec 06, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

You speak english and yet are not white, since when does a common language become a native language?

Opobo was founded on Igbo, the official language of Opobo is Igbo. If Igbo is not your language you're not from Opobo, maybe you rode a canoe from Bonny recently, oh, wait they speak Igbo too.

4 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 11:13pm On Dec 06, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

do ur illiterate brothers in opobo speak English?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 11:21pm On Dec 06, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Did he even say he was igbo, or are you yet again inferring that speaking a language makes you apart of that demographic
we interact mainly in igbo language. And he speaks igbo fluently. I even thought he was from Imo or Anambra or Enugu. Was surprised when I asked him his town, and he said opobo. I was like wow, opobo people speak Igbo. And he said yes, that they are Igbos. He was even the one that gave me the full history of opobo. That they are igbos from present-day imo state.
He says and agrees he is igbo.
Check my earlier post. The man is a member of ohanaeze ndigbo family meeting in my office
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 11:25pm On Dec 06, 2016
ezeagu:

Opobo was founded on Igbo, the official language of Opobo is Igbo. If Igbo is not your language you're not from Opobo, maybe you rode a canoe from Bonny recently, oh, wait they speak Igbo too.
bonny and opobo are igbos. They even speak fluent igbos. They are members of ohanaeze ndigbo in my office.
So I wonder what's all this noise
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 11:39pm On Dec 06, 2016
Unimaginable123:
do ur illiterate brothers in opobo speak English?

LOL, If there is anyone who would be illiterate it is your people. Opobo/Bonny are one of if not the most educated people in Nigeria. Perhaps you should do your reasearch well before speaking nonsense cheesy
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 11:51pm On Dec 06, 2016
ezeagu:

Yet it was named after a IJAW name, the people there have IJAW names. If a white man were to come and say to you if you speak english then your British , would you take him seriously. English is the official language of nigeria and yet we're not Englishmen. Are you really that dumb to not know the difference between native and most common spoken laguage? Please, let those who are actually educated speak.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 11:59pm On Dec 06, 2016
Unimaginable123:
we interact mainly in igbo language. And he speaks igbo fluently. I even thought he was from Imo or Anambra or Enugu. Was surprised when I asked him his town, and he said opobo. I was like wow, opobo people speak Igbo. And he said yes, that they are Igbos. He was even the one that gave me the full history of opobo. That they are igbos from present-day imo state.
He says and agrees he is igbo.
Check my earlier post. The man is a member of ohanaeze ndigbo family meeting in my office

So if a igbo man tells me all igbos are goats, I should believe him. I'm guessing his explanation had nothing to do with why our, i don't know, names, titles, and traditions are different. He was either pulling your leg, mislead, or is not really from Opobo
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 12:06am On Dec 07, 2016
Unimaginable123:
bonny and opobo are igbos. They even speak fluent igbos. They are members of ohanaeze ndigbo in my office.
So I wonder what's all this noise

Are you even Ibani, and since when does speaking fluently in another language make it my native language or anyone's. You can on spouting about this and yet have not addressed my points.That noise you hear is the sound here is a educated person speaking, probably something your not use to hearing.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 12:38am On Dec 07, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Yet it was named after a IJAW name, the people there have IJAW names. If a white man were to come and say to you if you speak english then your British , would you take him seriously. English is the official language of nigeria and yet we're not Englishmen. Are you really that dumb to not know the difference between native and most common spoken laguage? Please, let those who are actually educated speak.

Opubo does not have any other indigenous language, there is no indigenous language that it was founded with other than Igbo, the promotion of any other language as 'authentically native' is as a result of modern day politricks. The difference between the English example and the Igbo in Opobo is that Opobo only speaks one language authentically, all others are imported, the town was founded with Igbo, the founder of the town is Igbo (whether you like it or not, that is African culture), many of the people who founded the town with Eze Jaja have Igbo ancestry either through assimilated ancestors or their mothers who are overwhelmingly hinterland Igbo women, the town has Igbo mannerism, customs and even values (especially in business and trade), and the Amanyanabo travels to hinterland Igbo towns to greet his kinsmen.

Stop making convoluted comparisons when they hold no weight, the 99.9% of Nigerians who speak English also have an indigenous language, have no British or European ancestry, have no English heritage, and their hometowns weren't founded with the English language.

By the way I am not claiming anyone as anything they do not want to be, but you will not be allowed to just be continuing your lies here.

6 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 12:41am On Dec 07, 2016
Anyway, this discussion is pointless because Ndi Opobo and Bonny will continue speaking Igbo at the end of the day.

5 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 1:52am On Dec 07, 2016
ezeagu:

Opubo does not have any other indigenous language, there is no indigenous language that it was founded with other than Igbo, the promotion of any other language as 'authentically native' is as a result of modern day politricks. The difference between the English example and the Igbo in Opobo is that Opobo only speaks one language authentically, all others are imported, the town was founded with Igbo, the founder of the town is Igbo (whether you like it or not, that is African culture), many of the people who founded the town with Eze Jaja have Igbo ancestry either through assimilated ancestors or their mothers who are overwhelmingly hinterland Igbo women, the town has Igbo mannerism, customs and even values (especially in business and trade), and the Amanyanabo travels to hinterland Igbo towns to greet his kinsmen.

Stop making convoluted comparisons when they hold no weight, the 99.9% of Nigerians who speak English also have an indigenous language, have no British or European ancestry, have no English heritage, and their hometowns weren't founded with the English language.

By the way I am not claiming anyone as anything they do not want to be, but you will not be allowed to just be continuing your lies here.

It is you who are a liar. Also if you were not reading we do have a indigneous language called IBANI, the same language which our name, festivals,titles ,dances are named from, and a language which has been here for centuries. Unless you can identify what Amanyanabo, Opubo(opobo) meaning igbo, I suggest you keep quiet. Also, speaking on African tradition, when The Ibani en cultured Jaja as one of them, he ceased being igbo, even though he was born an igbo. Never did he refer to himself as Eze, nor did he answer a igbo name as ibani man.

I am starting to see that you are completely ignorant, if not idiotic and have little sense. Perhaps instead of arguing with someone who probably your junior, you should start building up your own people so that unlike your ancestors, you actually leave Behind a good legacy.

Oh an on final note, what shared customs??
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 1:58am On Dec 07, 2016
ezeagu:
Anyway, this discussion is pointless because Ndi Opobo and Bonny will continue speaking Igbo at the end of the day.

Not if I and the true youth of Opubo(opobo) and Okoloama(bonny)have anything to say about it. You igbo people may think that just because your language is now common in our land, that we have now forgotten our roots. But in truth, your "ikem na ikegi" poison shall soon be out of our system.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 2:32am On Dec 07, 2016
ezeagu:

My brother eh, it's only on nairaland that people live out very fake and false lives from reality. Thanks for pointing out the truth. Many of these 'ijaw defenders' on here from bonny and opobo all speak igbo fluently. But you see them acting like igbos are their enemies. You don't see them attacking yorubas, for example, for 'culture-consuming' their brothers in Ondo state many who barely speak ibani or ijaw. Opobo itself is not a regular or traditional village like other villages in nigeria. It was an estate of Jaja himself which he founded and secured with his fellow Igbo brothers. They may have adopted ibani names and titles ass a way of assimilating into the environment but they are still Igbos. African culture is patrilineal and one's father's ancestry is also one's ancestry, be you boy or girl. How people come online here to twist things is quite shocking.

You were also right. Opobo and bonny cannot just stop speaking Igbo altogether and start speaking ibani. Language stopping does not happen like that. It takes a lot to actively stop a people from speaking a language, that is with force and extra enforced measures, how much less with allowing the language to take a natural much slower death path.

Opobo and Bonny people are native Igbo speakers and will continue to be. People can come here and live out fake realities but the Igbo in these places continues to remain.

4 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 3:15am On Dec 07, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

It is you who are a liar. Also if you were not reading we do have a indigneous language called IBANI, the same language which our name, festivals,titles ,dances are named from, and a language which has been here for centuries. Unless you can identify what Amanyanabo, Opubo(opobo) meaning igbo, I suggest you keep quiet. Also, speaking on African tradition, when The Ibani en cultured Jaja as one of them, he ceased being igbo, even though he was born an igbo. Never did he refer to himself as Eze, nor did he answer a igbo name as ibani man.

I am starting to see that you are completely ignorant, if not idiotic and have little sense. Perhaps instead of arguing with someone who probably your junior, you should start building up your own people so that unlike your ancestors, you actually leave Behind a good legacy.

Oh an on final note, what shared customs??

Oh, cool, but Jaja, en cultured as you want to make it seem, made the official language of Opobo still Igbo, the Amanyanabo does treks to Imo State to see his kinsmen. Little to nobody speaks any other indigenous language there fluently which is why Ijaw nationalists are trying to force feed Ibani, so what other language is indigenous to Opobo? Say the truth, how many people have conversations in Opobo in anything other than Igbo and Pidgin? There are Igbo landmarks that have Ibibio and other names, like Ibini Ukpabi, and so what is your point? Just a few words here and there don't make a difference to the mother tongue, just like English isn't considered French despite all the borrowings.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 3:22am On Dec 07, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Not if I and the true youth of Opubo(opobo) and Okoloama(bonny)have anything to say about it. You igbo people may think that just because your language is now common in our land, that we have now forgotten our roots. But in truth, your "ikem na ikegi" poison shall soon be out of our system.

Your attempts at force feeding your youth falsehoods and revised history will only backfire when you're left with nothing but pidgin and watered down culture. You can do whatever you want, hold your breath and bite your tongue whenever somebody speaks Igbo to you if you like because you are pretending Igbo isn't your mother tongue, but that will never wash away the truth.

Here's another fact you may not like. Compare an eastern Ijaw's features to that of a core Bayelsan, they look very different, you guys are completely Igboised already, it's too late, genetically most Opobo / Bonny are of Igbo ancestry anyway and they know it because 90% of Bonny was comprised of assimilated Igbo slaves and you and your ancestors all marry Igbo women. Oya, tie ishi n'ala.

5 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 3:25am On Dec 07, 2016
bigfrancis21:

My brother eh, it's only on nairaland that people live out very fake and false lives from reality. Thanks for pointing out the truth. Many of these 'ijaw defenders' on here from bonny and opobo all speak igbo fluently. But you see them acting like igbos are their enemies. You don't see them attacking yorubas, for example, for 'culture-consuming' their brothers in Ondo state many who barely speak ibani or ijaw. Opobo itself is not a regular or traditional village like other villages in nigeria. It was an estate of Jaja himself which he founded and secured with his fellow Igbo brothers. They may have adopted ibani names and titles ass a way of assimilating into the environment but they are still Igbos. African culture is patrilineal and one's father's ancestry is also one's ancestry, be you boy or girl. How people come online here to twist things is quite shocking.

You were also right. Opobo and bonny cannot just stop speaking Igbo altogether and start speaking ibani. Language stopping does not happen like that. It takes a lot to actively stop a people from speaking a language, that is with force and extra enforced measures, how much less with allowing the language to take a natural much slower death path.

Opobo and Bonny people are native Igbo speakers and will continue to be. People can come here and live out fake realities but the Igbo in these places continues to remain.

It's just so fake and forced, the whole language and history revision thing people are trying to do just looks sad and desperate.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 3:46am On Dec 07, 2016
Oputeme:

Compare the imo igbos to Enugu igbos, do they themselves not have differences. If you go to America's dosen't a southner and northner's english sound different, yet they are still speaking english. Yes there may not be a central Ijaw, but we understand each other through out dialects. Also why are you changing your points? first were igbo, now were Igbonised?

Also, if I may ask, who is force feeding who what language? As you can see, a Opobo youth is refusing abandon his TRUE culture

Did I ever write every Bonny and Opobo person is Igbo? Please read all previous posts again carefully. How different do Imo and Enugu Igbo look compared to a Kalabari and a Nembe? Say the truth. If a people already have an indigenous language they've been speaking for hundreds of years (Igbo) and you try to replace it with something else 90% of the population cannot interpret you are force feeding a language. Opobo was founded in Igbo so that is the indigenous language.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.