Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,682 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:18 PM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88299 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 4:19am On Dec 07, 2016
Oputeme:

Tell me, can you name the differences between nembe and Kalabari?
1. Igbo is not our native language, it only became common through the slave trade. Besides, If you go to opobo and Ibani festivals you where hear them speaking/singing in Ibani. They may not understand what their saying in depth but they have a good jist of it. If only people would try, I bet in 10 years, you will see Ibani start to flourish. So, I wouldn't say 90% don't know, but more like 70% no bits and pieces, wile 30% just don't know.

Oh and before you say, the average Opobo man/woman/decendent will say there not igbo, even though not many of them will try to learn Ibani.

If you want to take it back to the slave trade then, as said before, your people are 90% assimilated Igbo.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 4:24am On Dec 07, 2016
Oputeme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsrmSPSf_xE

Here is even another documentry video showing the Ibani's mighty culture. Listen so how the women sing as the ere-apu dance to the sound of the clay pots. Do you not here the distinct markings of the ijaw language. We are opobo, we are Ibani, we are Ijaw.

Have you heard of the ekpe society before? Are you aware that men from Arochukwu to parts of Imo State sing ekpe praise songs in Ibibio fluently, do you even know people in Abia refer to masquerades as Ekpo, an Ibibio word, instead of mmanwu and other Igbo words? You haven't shown anything with a few songs please.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 8:58am On Dec 07, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

LOL, If there is anyone who would be illiterate it is your people. Opobo/Bonny are one of if not the most educated people in Nigeria. Perhaps you should do your reasearch well before speaking nonsense cheesy
address the issue. If an illiterate opobo man or woman speak Igbo all their life, why will u say they are not igbos?

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 08, 2016
Unimaginable123:
address the issue. If an illiterate opobo man or woman speak Igbo all their life, why will u say they are not igbos?
This topic has been treated before. Opobo people speak Igbo as a native language but aren't Igbo by tribe neither are they Ijaws. They are a distinct ethnic group and share similar ethnicity with their Bonny kins. However, a few may identify with Ndigbo because of similar language while some others may identify as Ijaws due to Niger-Delta politics of relevance. But generally, the people of Opobo know themselves simply as Opobians and both Igbo and Ijaw should respect their decision.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:52pm On Dec 08, 2016
bigfrancis21:

My brother eh, it's only on nairaland that people live out very fake and false lives from reality. Thanks for pointing out the truth. Many of these 'ijaw defenders' on here from bonny and opobo all speak igbo fluently. But you see them acting like igbos are their enemies. You don't see them attacking yorubas, for example, for 'culture-consuming' their brothers in Ondo state many who barely speak ibani or ijaw. Opobo itself is not a regular or traditional village like other villages in nigeria. It was an estate of Jaja himself which he founded and secured with his fellow Igbo brothers. They may have adopted ibani names and titles ass a way of assimilating into the environment but they are still Igbos. African culture is patrilineal and one's father's ancestry is also one's ancestry, be you boy or girl. How people come online here to twist things is quite shocking.

You were also right. Opobo and bonny cannot just stop speaking Igbo altogether and start speaking ibani. Language stopping does not happen like that. It takes a lot to actively stop a people from speaking a language, that is with force and extra enforced measures, how much less with allowing the language to take a natural much slower death path.

Opobo and Bonny people are native Igbo speakers and will continue to be. People can come here and live out fake realities but the Igbo in these places continues to remain.
Some of you guys are so daft, honestly. I get pissed off when I see wise chaps get deceived easily. Why must you ignorantly tag Ijaw nationalist from Bayelsa as Opobo/Bonny? Who told you those imposters are from Opobo? How many times have I told you guys that if you want to get genuine information about Opobo people, language and culture you visit their official webpage or take a tour of Opobo town, meet the people one on one and study their culture. You can also watch Youtube videos to know more about them, some of these videos have been posted here on this thread, watch them at your own time. Stop generalising the views of imposters from Ijawland as the views of Opobo people. This topic has been trounced on this thread before and I expect you guys to discern the voice of Coolscot and his Ijaw gangs from the voice of true Opobo people.
Let this be the final warning! Bigfrancis, Ezeagu and others.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Eastfield1: 10:54pm On Dec 08, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Who is we? It is I and the 21 war canoe houses of Opobo who are waiting for you.
Oh and FYI, Jubo Jubogha is his IBANI name, not a coinage.

I don't blame you, I blame your ancestors for not giving you a good heritage. Perhaps if they did, you would not try to steel the legacy of another people.
funny
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by opuama(f): 12:02am On Dec 28, 2016
Kojiek:
I was born and brought up in Rivers state. Having interracted deeply with the Opobos, the language they speak is pure and undiluted Ndoki (an Igbo dialect as in Akwette, Umuagbai, Azumini, etc). Example; money - ikpei,
bottle - olilo
woman - nwaenyere
man - nwaekere
me - ikem
you - ikii
he/she - ikea
goodmorning - isalachi
give me - nyebam
sit down - kuso odu
one - oli, The list is inexhaustible. As per names, they bear Ubani (Ibani) names such as Belema, Epelle, etc. Of which they themselves find it difficult to give their meaning. Majority of them (Opobos) bear English names. Few answers pure igbo name such as Ifeoma, Kelechi, etc. So as an Igbo, one don't need any other medium to communicate with someone from Opobo.
In Opobo apart from the surnames that are mainly English, first names are dominantly Igani and as for those that bear igbo names they are opinions who live in aba and etche.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 7:31am On Dec 28, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Yet it was named after a IJAW name, the people there have IJAW names. If a white man were to come and say to you if you speak english then your British , would you take him seriously. English is the official language of nigeria and yet we're not Englishmen. Are you really that dumb to not know the difference between native and most common spoken laguage? Please, let those who are actually educated speak.

We speak English because we were colonised....Did Igbo colonise opobo and bonny

I have a colleague also that is opobo and she speaks Igbo fluently....Dud they attend special Igbo classes

It's just like arguing Germany and Austria with Luxembourg....They speak Dutch and are Dutch people

Why all these arguments
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 7:33am On Dec 28, 2016
But peterside the former contender of River state said in a clear terms that he is Igbo

Even the king of opobo was at ahijoku lecture in Owerri which is strictly and Igbo affair

So the question is ..If these noteable people know and say they are Igbo...Why should I take the words if nobody here serious ?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:26am On Dec 28, 2016
If Igbo like make them post all these stupid articles it doesn't change the fact that the Ibani kingdoms of Opubo ama and okoloma are both Ijaw, with there Amanyanabos, alaapu, seniapu, asaawo, ereawo, and any group challenging our sovereignty, should come foward with war and stop this worthless igbo gibberish

Ibani Language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M_KnhUXxw

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:32am On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:
But peterside the former contender of River state said in a clear terms that he is Igbo

Even the king of opobo was at ahijoku lecture in Owerri which is strictly and Igbo affair

So the question is ..If these noteable people know and say they are Igbo...Why should I take the words if nobody here serious ?

Post the link where Dakuku said this and when the Amanyanabo of Opobo visited your igbo confederacy meeting or hide under a rock like the lier you are.(n/b dont quote me with those fake nairaland articles)
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:38am On Dec 28, 2016
ezeagu:

Have you heard of the ekpe society before? Are you aware that men from Arochukwu to parts of Imo State sing ekpe praise songs in Ibibio fluently, do you even know people in Abia refer to masquerades as Ekpo, an Ibibio word, instead of mmanwu and other Igbo words? You haven't shown anything with a few songs please.
So why are they not ibibio people since they speak ibibio fluently, i keep saying there are no igbos apart from the decendants of nri the rest are just mixtures between igala (enugu, anambra), bini(onitsha),Ijaw(ndoki), Ibibio(Arochukwu) etc
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:
If Igbo like make them post all these stupid articles it doesn't change the fact that the Ibani kingdoms of Opubo ama and okoloma are both Ijaw, with there Amanyanabos, alaapu, seniapu, asaawo, ereawo, and any group challenging our sovereignty, should come foward with war and stop this worthless igbo gibberish

Ibani Language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M_KnhUXxw

Can you tell me the words in ibani

Igbo Ubani (Bonny Island) dialect word list by Captain Hugh Crow, a British slave trader between Africa and the West Indies, in The Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow [Free download] (1830). For reference.
Some notes: We’ve been told that ‘bèké’ ‘foreigner/white man’ is corrupted from William Balfour Baikie’s name, however ákụ́ bèké and mmanyá bèké are on this list published in 1830, six years after Baikie’s birth, so that’s out the window. The Ubani dialect is unsurprisingly very close to my Ohuhu (Umuahia) dialect, but, I’m surprised at how well the words have been recorded, even if that’s the only compliment I can give Hugh Crow, and how little Igbo has changed, at least, my dialect. I can make out most of the words.
What I can make out in today’s Igbo orthography:
English - Eboe - Ìgbò [Ọ̀hụ́hụ́]
man - wocoe - nwókò
woman - wana - nwányị̀
husband - ecoey - [Ubani dialect?] [dí]
wife - ecuiana - [nwínyè]
child - watacree - nwátàkị́rị́
an old person - okeebery - [ágádí]
a white person - andoucha - ńdí ọ́chá [ónyé ọ́chá]
head - eshey - íshí
eye - ana - ányá
belly - affo - áfọ́
smell - senney - [íshì]
master or captain - nammacoe - [ónyé íshí]
doctor - dibbea - díbìà
cook - osheeta - òshítá
my friend - onenim [wan-nim] - nwánném (’my brother’)
a large ship - owba coocoo - úgbọ́ ǹk’úkwú
a small boat - ewba wanta - úgbọ́ nwáńtà
pig - asa - [ézì]
goat - agoe - ágụ́ [mistaken ‘leopard’ for ‘goat’]
monkey - waka - [àdáká?]
fowl - ocuccoe - ọ̀kụ́kọ̀
parrot - eacha - ìchéòkù
fish - assoe - ázụ̀
dog - ecotta - ńkị́tá
beef - annoe - ánụ́ (’meat’)
bread - achecha - àchị̀chà
yam - gee - jí
water - menney - mírí or míní
spirits - myabecca - ḿmányá bèké (’alcohol’)
cocoa nut - accobecca - ákụ́ bèké
palm oil - mano -ḿmánụ́
salt - ownoe - ńnú
pepper - ussoe - ósò
cold - oyee - óyí
death - awawo - ọ́wụ́wụ́ (’dying’)
surprise - awamea - [ụ̀wàmi é!?]
tub - athasa -
a severe beating - pem pem coocoo - pẹm pẹm ǹk’úkwú
a moderate beating - pem pem wanta - pẹm pẹm nwá ńtà
sleep - owry - ụ́rá
large - coocoo - ǹk’úkwú (ǹkè úkwú)
small or little - wanta - nwá ńtà
bad - gorranjoe - jọ́rọ́ ńjọ́
good - adeema - àdị́ ḿmá
warm - oco - ọ́kụ́
no - ofurry - ọ̀fụ́rị̀?
look - laguana - lèkwáná
get up - lecota - lìkọ́tá
go below - gemalla - jèmá àlà
give me - wetta - wètá
come here - beea - bìá
my god! - howitshem - áhụ́shíalám! or héwù chím!?
shake hands - brakey -
make haste - geyen gwango - jènyé ńgwángwá
what is your name? - awagey? - áhà gị́?
be moderate - beecoe - bíkó (’please’)
to steal - oche - óshí
to sweep - pra pra - (onomatopoeia?) zá
to eat - aney - ńní? (food)
wash with water - sau sau menney - sọ́sọ̀ míní (’just water’)
hold your noise - domona -
what is the matter? - ginnemegay - gị́nị́ mẹ̀ gị́? (’what happened to you’)
one - oly - [Ubani dialect?] [ótù]
two - aboo - àbụ́ọ́
three - athoo - àtọ́
four - anoo - ànọ́
five - esee - ìsé
six - esei - ìsíi
seven - esa - asáa
eight - sato - àsátọ́ [Ubani dialect = sátọ́?]
nine - egetee - ìtéghètè
ten - eree - ìrí
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
Even ununahia answer the name ubani- ibani...Can anyone show me an ijaws man that bears such a name as sure names

Too many kids here
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:

Can you tell me the words in ibani

Igbo Ubani (Bonny Island) dialect word list by Captain Hugh Crow, a British slave trader between Africa and the West Indies, in The Memoirs of Captain Hugh Crow [Free download] (1830). For reference.
Some notes: We’ve been told that ‘bèké’ ‘foreigner/white man’ is corrupted from William Balfour Baikie’s name, however ákụ́ bèké and mmanyá bèké are on this list published in 1830, six years after Baikie’s birth, so that’s out the window. The Ubani dialect is unsurprisingly very close to my Ohuhu (Umuahia) dialect, but, I’m surprised at how well the words have been recorded, even if that’s the only compliment I can give Hugh Crow, and how little Igbo has changed, at least, my dialect. I can make out most of the words.
What I can make out in today’s Igbo orthography:
English - Eboe - Ìgbò [Ọ̀hụ́hụ́]
man - wocoe - nwókò
woman - wana - nwányị̀
husband - ecoey - [Ubani dialect?] [dí]
wife - ecuiana - [nwínyè]
child - watacree - nwátàkị́rị́
an old person - okeebery - [ágádí]
a white person - andoucha - ńdí ọ́chá [ónyé ọ́chá]
head - eshey - íshí
eye - ana - ányá
belly - affo - áfọ́
smell - senney - [íshì]
master or captain - nammacoe - [ónyé íshí]
doctor - dibbea - díbìà
cook - osheeta - òshítá
my friend - onenim [wan-nim] - nwánném (’my brother’)
a large ship - owba coocoo - úgbọ́ ǹk’úkwú
a small boat - ewba wanta - úgbọ́ nwáńtà
pig - asa - [ézì]
goat - agoe - ágụ́ [mistaken ‘leopard’ for ‘goat’]
monkey - waka - [àdáká?]
fowl - ocuccoe - ọ̀kụ́kọ̀
parrot - eacha - ìchéòkù
fish - assoe - ázụ̀
dog - ecotta - ńkị́tá
beef - annoe - ánụ́ (’meat’)
bread - achecha - àchị̀chà
yam - gee - jí
water - menney - mírí or míní
spirits - myabecca - ḿmányá bèké (’alcohol’)
cocoa nut - accobecca - ákụ́ bèké
palm oil - mano -ḿmánụ́
salt - ownoe - ńnú
pepper - ussoe - ósò
cold - oyee - óyí
death - awawo - ọ́wụ́wụ́ (’dying’)
surprise - awamea - [ụ̀wàmi é!?]
tub - athasa -
a severe beating - pem pem coocoo - pẹm pẹm ǹk’úkwú
a moderate beating - pem pem wanta - pẹm pẹm nwá ńtà
sleep - owry - ụ́rá
large - coocoo - ǹk’úkwú (ǹkè úkwú)
small or little - wanta - nwá ńtà
bad - gorranjoe - jọ́rọ́ ńjọ́
good - adeema - àdị́ ḿmá
warm - oco - ọ́kụ́
no - ofurry - ọ̀fụ́rị̀?
look - laguana - lèkwáná
get up - lecota - lìkọ́tá
go below - gemalla - jèmá àlà
give me - wetta - wètá
come here - beea - bìá
my god! - howitshem - áhụ́shíalám! or héwù chím!?
shake hands - brakey -
make haste - geyen gwango - jènyé ńgwángwá
what is your name? - awagey? - áhà gị́?
be moderate - beecoe - bíkó (’please’)
to steal - oche - óshí
to sweep - pra pra - (onomatopoeia?) zá
to eat - aney - ńní? (food)
wash with water - sau sau menney - sọ́sọ̀ míní (’just water’)
hold your noise - domona -
what is the matter? - ginnemegay - gị́nị́ mẹ̀ gị́? (’what happened to you’)
one - oly - [Ubani dialect?] [ótù]
two - aboo - àbụ́ọ́
three - athoo - àtọ́
four - anoo - ànọ́
five - esee - ìsé
six - esei - ìsíi
seven - esa - asáa
eight - sato - àsátọ́ [Ubani dialect = sátọ́?]
nine - egetee - ìtéghètè
ten - eree - ìrí
If you you want to have a discussion, come with an open mind, post a pic of the said document, and while you are looking for d document post the link(not nairaland article) wer Amaopusenibo Dakuku Peterside said he was igbo.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:
Even ununahia answer the name ubani- ibani...Can anyone show me an ijaws man that bears such a name as sure names

Too many kids here
The people who answer Ubani in Abia state are Ndoki people who have Ijaw ancestry they also answer names like jumbo, uranta, Opusunju even the member representing ukwa east goes by the name Paul Taribo, is Taribo an igbo name or will you call it ndoki dialect too
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

The people who answer Ubani in Abia state are Ndoki people who have Ijaw ancestry they also answer names like jumbo, uranta, Opusunju even the member representing ukwa east goes by the name Paul Taribo, is Taribo an igbo name or will you call it ndoki dialect too

Talk what you know ..My classmate from ibeku ..His name is Obinna ubani

What is wrong with you guys ...You assume what you don't know
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Oga stop deviating...I said Igbo..Umuahia to be precise bear ubani as a name...I never said taribo or west
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

If you you want to have a discussion, come with an open mind, post a pic of the said document, and while you are looking for d document post the link(not nairaland article) wer Amaopusenibo Dakuku Peterside said he was igbo.

Pic of what again ?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:45pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

You wanted. Link I gave you

Now you are demanding picture

Oga you no get arguement

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:

Pic of what again ?
The word list u presented was it from ur imaginations or a book, if it is from a book. Can you post it
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:

Oga stop deviating...I said Igbo..Umuahia to be precise bear ubani as a name...I never said taribo or west
How am i deviating its only Ndoki people in Umuahia who answer ubani or nwaubani or are you denying that the member representing ukwa east is Paul Taribo
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:52pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

The word list u presented was it from ur imaginations or a book, if it is from a book. Can you post it
n

This man seff...How can it be from.my imagination...Let's talk about the links first ..Have you read it up

Then tell me that the word list are fake ?

You see how I am knocking you off with facts and evidences

Ok you want link again

http://ukpuru.tumblr.com/post/115997041797/igbo-ubani-bonny-island-dialect-word-list-by

Now read and next one ask me of video
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
ariesbull:

Talk what you know ..My classmate from ibeku ..His name is Obinna ubani

What is wrong with you guys ...You assume what you don't know
If he is from Ndoki then he is an Ijaw descendant dats why they answer Nwa ubani
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ariesbull: 12:55pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

If he is from Ndoki then he is an Ijaw descendant dats why they answer Nwa ubani

This man....Do you have a comprehension issue.

He is from Ibeku not ndoki...Ibeku is in umuahia ..Ndoki is in ABA

Jesus Christ

Beside that ndoki is Igbo or do you want to claim that they are unaware again

These people seff

Guy I am done with you

Happy Christmas

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.