Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,850 members, 7,798,837 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88190 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:44pm On Mar 10, 2012
Misunderstandings. Anyway, I'm not here to argue, just explaining further what Kojiek was saying, since it seemed to me that you were misunderstanding his points.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Obiagu1(m): 10:54pm On Mar 10, 2012
ChinenyeN:

Misunderstandings. Anyway, I'm not here to argue, just explaining further what Kojiek was saying, since it seemed to me that you were misunderstanding his points.

or rather you don't know what "ma oli" means.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:54am On Mar 11, 2012
See, this is why I interjected. You and Kojiek were not on the same page. Even now, with this your response to me, [or rather you don't know what "ma oli" means] its as if you don't understand that we're not on the same page. You want to discuss what none of us here is even debating.

Anyway, this is the second time I've expressed how you're missing what Kojiek is saying. Once more will just be unnecessary, so I'll leave the matter.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Kojiek: 9:41pm On Mar 13, 2012
ChinenyeN, do not waste ur time on someone u has understing difficulty.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Obiagu1(m): 2:22am On Mar 14, 2012
^^^

I did not intend to further grant Mrs. Chinenye a reply because I know she likes quarrel, but it seems you are in the same category with her; people that can't comprehend what they wrote.

'Ikem na ikei bu oli', is a sentence in Opobo, meaning me and you are one...Opobo language played a great role in the translation of Igbo bible. Example, in Matthew 5:34a, which reads; "But I tell you, do not swear at all;" was translated thus in Igbo; "ma Mu onwem si unu, Añula iyi ma-oli;". The word 'ma-oli' is an Opobo igbo meaning 'at all'.
'ma-oli' is a component word in central igbo. Though it is hardly use in spoken central-igbo. But it originated from Ndoki, ie; oli = one
Ma-oli = 'not at all' or 'not even one'. The word 'oli' is not found in any other igbo dialect except ndoki precipitate opobo dialect.
The only resemblance is found in ohafia/arochukwu area; olu = one. Other igbo dialets will say; otu, ofu, nani, nge, etc all meaning 'one'.

Let me help you translate what you wrote. The word "oli" which means "one" in Opobo is solely an Opobo/Ndoki word hence the word "ma-oli" is an Opobo word that was used in the bible. It does not have origin in other parts of Igboland.

My reply:

ma oli = ma ncha = at all.

Who said "ma-oli" is only spoken in Ndoki/Opobo?

Let me help you here too. Since you suggested that "ma-oli" which means "at all" is an Opobo word because oli = one is Opobo, what about "ma ncha (ncha = all or everything)" that means "at all" as well? My next reply:
Oli (in "ma oli") as a word might mean a different thing.
Oli in ma-oli might mean a different thing and did not necessarily come from oli = one.

Do you get it?

I still have a question you haven't replied yet. Who said "ma-oli" is only spoken in Ndoki/Opobo because I know it is used in other places?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 2:39am On Mar 14, 2012
The oli for the numeral "one" and the oli in "ma oli" are the same oli, both in tone and in pronunciation.
It is the same way some groups use "ma otu" for "at all", that Ndoki/Opobo use, and consequently Izugbe came to use "ma oli".
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 8:29am On Mar 14, 2012
ChinenyeN: That's not common sense. It's guesswork. The white man used interpreters from Omuma, Ubani, etc. to communicate with people from Ogidi, and so that now means Omuma, Ubani, etc. "must have told the white man that they are Igbo"? I can't take this line of thought seriously.

Word.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 11, 2012
Another Joke
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:50am On Sep 11, 2012
ezeagu: kilva6, what language are people in Opobo's surnames usually from?

All Opobo surnames are Ijaw.. But all the Ijaw surnames also have British names too.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 11, 2012
This thing is a joke.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 8:49pm On Apr 20, 2013
WONDERS SHALL NEVER END!
See Igbonization at its best.

I dey laugh in Obasanjo style grin
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ROYALD(m): 4:43pm On Apr 25, 2013
KING JAJA HIGH SCHOOL AMAIGBO IN NWANGELE LGA IMO STATE NO NEED FOR ARGUEMENT

IS A PLACE TO VISIT
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by kliva6(f): 2:27am On Jul 15, 2013
killayut:

All Opobo surnames are Ijaw.. But all the Ijaw surnames also have British names too.

Most of those I have heard of are English, but I'm not the best example since I don't know many people from Opobo. like my surname is English (I think) at least I know it's not a native name. But isn't there a way we can just reteach ourselves the language? my children must speak it o!

and I loove your pledge! If you don't mind may I borrow it for something I'm doing at school? thank you!
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 4:15am On Jul 15, 2013
ChinenyeN: What is known as "Ndoki language/dialect" is the result of Ijo mixing with Ngwa/Asa, then the people interacting with Annang, then Aro traders who were invited into the community and lastly, Isu and other hinterland groups who came to what is now Obigbo and other surrounding Ndoki communities, for work.

Ubani and Ndoki both had some hinterland (Isu and other) influence. In the case of Ubani, it was due to the slave trade. In the case of Ndoki, it was due to 20th century influx of hinterland people, looking for work. The deep/historical interaction between the two communities makes their speech very similar, if not exactly the same.

Notwithstanding, there are Ndoki communities that still speak something much like Ngwa and Asa, but the more "Ndoki"-type speech is spoken particularly by Azumini, Abaki, Akirika, and a few other surrounding communities.

This is trash,how can u stay in your room and type such a rubbish about other people?

Ndoki is ndoki,and has always been ndoki,their language has also always been ndoki. Ndoki people does not accept this attempt by ngwa people to claim them or brand them a mixture of different people.

Please,do try to tell the story of your people,and leave others to tell theirs.

Anybody interested in ndoki history should google it online. I just showed an ndoki friend of mine this chinenye history,and the guy was very furious.

I intend to get him to register on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:52am On Jul 15, 2013
There is nothing like "Chinenye history" here, and I do not know why you are trying to make this an "Ngwa vs Ndoki" thing. I simply gave an ultra-compressed summary of Ndoki history that spans over 500 years, focused solely on the development of the Ndoki speech forms. If you find something disagreeable, indicate it and expand on what you believe is incorrect and what you think is correct. Don't try to turn this into an "Ngwa vs Ndoki" thing. That's just being argumentative for no reason.

But bring your Ndoki friend, if you like. Anyone interested in discussing Ndoki's cultural history is someone I would like to meet, particularly if the individual is Ndoki. But none of that Killayut argumentative nonsense though. I'm not looking for that. I'm only interested in people who care enough to actually have honest discourse.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 16, 2013
kliva6:

Most of those I have heard of are English, but I'm not the best example since I don't know many people from Opobo. like my surname is English (I think) at least I know it's not a native name. But isn't there a way we can just reteach ourselves the language? my children must speak it o!

and I loove your pledge! If you don't mind may I borrow it for something I'm doing at school? thank you!

Bros... go to facebook and join this group where people are learning Ibani

https://www./ibaniegere/
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
The question I keep asking, WHERE ARE THE DESCENDANTS OF THE SO-CALLED IGBO SLAVES IN THIS TOWN TODAY?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 16, 2013
[quote author=mbatuku2]The question I keep asking, WHERE ARE THE DESCENDANTS OF THE SO-CALLED IGBO SLAVES IN THIS TOWN TODAY?[/quo

We are Ijaw period. And we are mixed up.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jul 16, 2013
I dont think that still makes sense to me. Bloodlines not what you can sweep under the carpet like that. You cant run away from the fact, which you just admitted to, that if the ancestors of a people are Igbo (or any other ethnicity), that also makes them members of that ethnicity by default. And I strongly doubt that everyone in a geographical location can be so mixed, except you can furnish me with explanations. Was there any special arrangements that made it compulsory for everyone to have mixed parentage?

FYI, I'm not really concerned about what beefs/mudslingings between you and the Igbo posters here. These are just aspects of both of your arguments that defy logic that seems to me like someone isn't telling all the truth..
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 1:28am On Jul 17, 2013
mbatuku2:
I dont think that still makes sense to me. Bloodlines not what you can sweep under the carpet like that. You cant run away from the fact, which you just admitted to, that if the ancestors of a people are Igbo (or any other ethnicity), that also makes them members of that ethnicity by default. And I strongly doubt that everyone in a geographical location can be so mixed, except you can furnish me with explanations. Was there any special arrangements that made it compulsory for everyone to have mixed parentage?

FYI, I'm not really concerned about what beefs/mudslingings between you and the Igbo posters here. These are just aspects of both of your arguments that defy logic that seems to me like someone isn't telling all the truth..

Don't pay attention to that bayelsa man. Only originally ijaw people in bonny are trying to learn that useless language of theirs called ibani. The descendants of igbos in that island have since rejected all attempts by ijaw desperadoes to ibanize/ijawnize them, go to the thread: "the true extent of igboland" and educate yourself more on this issue.

At a point,those igbo descendants even withdrew their kids from public schools,becos of the desperate attempt by the ijaw controlled rivers state govt of those days,to force their kids to learn ibani by making ibani language, a compulsory subject in the public schools in bonny.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 2:03am On Jul 17, 2013
Ndoki has no element of ijaw in them,i am yet to see any ndoki man that will agree with the notion of common ancestry with ijaw. All these ijaw desperados should stop claiming people that don't want them.

"Nwotam is not an igbo masquarade but an ndoki masquarade" ,how stupid can this ijaw man get, is ijele an nri masquarade or an igbo masquarade? Is adanma an udi masquarade or an igbo masquarade? See stupidity.

Every igbo tribe have a masquarade specific to them

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:22am On Jul 18, 2013
pazienza: Ndoki has no element of ijaw in them,i am yet to see any ndoki man that will agree with the notion of common ancestry with ijaw. All these ijaw desperados should stop claiming people that don't want them.

"Nwotam is not an igbo masquarade but an ndoki masquarade" ,how stupid can this ijaw man get, is ijele an nri masquarade or an igbo masquarade? Is adanma and udi masquarade or an igbo masquarade? See stupidity.

Every igbo tribe have a masquarade specific to it.

It is every where in NDOKI history and even in the major NDOKI town called AZUMINI... stop arguing stupidly and ignorantly.. You people always love to write the history of others for them...AZUMINI itself is said to be the Ijaw word ASIMINI..
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:25am On Jul 18, 2013
pazienza:

Don't pay attention to that bayelsa man. Only originally ijaw people in bonny are trying to learn that useless language of theirs called ibani. The descendants of igbos in that island have since rejected all attempts by ijaw desperadoes to ibanize/ijawnize them, go to the thread: "the true extent of igboland" and educate yourself more on this issue.

At a point,those igbo descendants even withdrew their kids from public schools,becos of the desperate attempt by the ijaw controlled rivers state govt of those days,to force their kids to learn ibani by making ibani language, a compulsory subject in the public schools in bonny.

Go and change the title AMAYANABO of Bonny to EZE or OBI of Bonny... LOL...You can do that in the cyber world like you NON RIVERS IGBOS ALWAYS DESCRIBE PORT HARCOURT on wiki and online as an IGBO town with no pressence of anything IGBO in PH... a firmly OKRIKA Ijaw controlled CITY with outlined POLO ... hahahaha ..

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 1:29am On Jul 18, 2013
mbatuku2:

Are those of you who fight for this nonsense not stupid ?? The people have the right to claim what they are... mAN WON'T YOU LOST NRI people just simply LEAVE us alone ?? DAMNNN.... FIND YOUR OWN ROOT and leave others alone bro...The KING OF BONNY is KING PEPPLE..Pepple means PEREKULE and PEREKULE is Ijaw and not Igbo..The king of OPOBO ( OPUBO ama ) is KING JAJA... JAJA is JUBO JUBOGHA ( THIS is also an Ijaw word meaning another can not be another person.. ) Simply means, you can not be me and I can not be you... WONDERFUL !!!! What has language got to do with anything ? Are we not here typiing in ENGLISH ? are we ENGLISH people ??

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 6:25am On Jul 18, 2013
killayut:

Are those of you who fight for this nonsense not stupid ?? The people have the right to claim what they are... mAN WON'T YOU LOST NRI people just simply LEAVE us alone ?? DAMNNN.... FIND YOUR OWN ROOT and leave others alone bro...The KING OF BONNY is KING PEPPLE..Pepple means PEREKULE and PEREKULE is Ijaw and not Igbo..The king of OPOBO ( OPUBO ama ) is KING JAJA... JAJA is JUBO JUBOGHA ( THIS is also an Ijaw word meaning another can not be another person.. ) Simply means, you can not be me and I can not be you... WONDERFUL !!!! What has language got to do with anything ? Are we not here typiing in ENGLISH ? are we ENGLISH people ??

I've not met an Opobo that speaks Ibani/Ijaw as a 1st language and 2ndly Jaja was obviously from Amaigbo in Isu area of Imo State or are you saying Jaja was from Bayelsa? Please while you embark on your expansionism leave Port Harcourt out of it unless you refer to the tiny part of old Port Harcourt around Borokiri, Abuloma and Town.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 18, 2013
Abagworo:

I've not met an Opobo that speaks Ibani/Ijaw as a 1st language and 2ndly Jaja was obviously from Amaigbo in Isu area of Imo State or are you saying Jaja was from Bayelsa? Please while you embark on your expansionism leave Port Harcourt out of it unless you refer to the tiny part of old Port Harcourt around Borokiri, Abuloma and Town.
Our land is Ijaw land

How many of you Igbos are now AMAERICANS ? WOULD AMERICA be an Igbo land if one of the Igbos become an American president ? Look our people have always had the culture of absorbing other people and or adopting other people. The adoption of Igbo people to our land does not give Igbos the right to claim our land as Igbo land. The adopted Igbos of our land were grateful and they accepted to be us .... Because you people do not have such a culture should not confuse you. Our Land is Ijaw land founded by Ijaw people... OPOBO was not founded by JAJA.. he was just the leader of the Opubo Pepple house that founded the town.. The people are Ijaws

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 18, 2013
Abagworo:

You are simply senseless.. Picking on only JAJA.. do you know the number of Igbos we absorbed before JAJA'S ERA ? There are more from AROCHUKWU and they were all given Ijaw names just as JAJA also was given Ijaw name. Changing of name to bear Ijaw name was part of the ritual to complete the naturalization.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 7:32am On Jul 18, 2013
Abagworo:

When Borokiri, Town and ABULOMA was Port HARCOURT in the 60s, 70s and even 80s where else was Port HARCOURT BESIDES just that area ? Were the same Ikwere villages not even existing before Port HARCOURT WAS FOUNDED ? hOW THEN ARE YOU going to CALL existing ancient towns the name of a newly created one ? Does it make sense to you ? How many Ikweres were present when the forest was given to the Europeans ? WHICH Ikwere traditional of what village was present ? WHERE is the cemetery of Ikweres in the Port Harcourt township ? In another 30 yrs Igbo people like you would call ISIOKPO Port harcourt and argue stupidly just as some fools call Igwuruta Port Harcourt now.. Any Ikwere land that develops to merge PH becomes a PORT HARCOURT.. Just because you Igbos love the name Port HARCOURT..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 9:02am On Jul 18, 2013
killayut: Our land is Ijaw land

How many of you Igbos are now AMAERICANS ? WOULD AMERICA be an Igbo land if one of the Igbos become an American president ? Look our people have always had the culture of absorbing other people and or adopting other people. The adoption of Igbo people to our land does not give Igbos the right to claim our land as Igbo land. The adopted Igbos of our land were grateful and they accepted to be us .... Because you people do not have such a culture should not confuse you. Our Land is Ijaw land founded by Ijaw people... OPOBO was not founded by JAJA.. he was just the leader of the Opubo Pepple house that founded the town.. The people are Ijaws

I never wrote that Opobo was Igboland. I only wrote that Igbo is the language and the Jaja family has Isuama roots.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jul 18, 2013
killayut:

I dont know how old you are, but you kind of come off as a teenager. Your replies dont make much sense. I hope you are not trying to say King Jaja is Ijaw? Anyway, I dont think you are the right kind of person I should be having this conversation with. Moreover, you are from Bayelsa, and not from Rivers(and possibly not even from Bayelsa).

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ijawcitizen(m): 4:58pm On Jul 18, 2013
mbatuku2:

I dont know how old you are, but you kind of come off as a teenager. Your replies dont make much sense. I hope you are not trying to say King Jaja is Ijaw? Anyway, I dont think you are the right kind of person I should be having this conversation with. Moreover, you are from Bayelsa, and not from Rivers(and possibly not even from Bayelsa).

Keep deluding yourself like an Mgbatigbati that you are!

Jaja is an Ijaw man!
Raised by Ijaw parents from a very tender age.
Raised in Ijaw language, culture, tradition and Ijaw values.

What is left? Jaja of Opubo-ama is a complete Ijaw man and he paraded himself as an Ijaw man, his decendants too are parading themselves as Ijaw people.

I know this fact is hard for you to swallow and its giving you acute depression. So what are you gonna do about it?

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
Mbatuku, the subject matter is apparently too touchy for them to have a level-headed discussions about it. Just leave them, because they simply aren't going to answer your questions.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.