Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,910 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88255 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by shota(m): 3:58pm On Nov 09, 2013
Abagworo:

Go through this thread and you'll notice that the issue of affiliating with Ijaw is not here as we all seem to acknowledge that in recent years that affiliation seems to have been solidified by oil politics and some other factors but the people that comprise Opobo were not basically Ijaw as they comprised of a group led by a man of Igbo roots and later got swelled by further influx of Igbos, Ijaws and Ibibios. The land Opobo itself was occupied by Aro/Ibibio groups before Jaja's entourage. Some people are trying to lie and twist history that Opobo were speaking another language then Igbos came and changed it.

Here is an Opobo guy's blog

http://cookeyforchange..com/2009/07/my-home-town-opobo.html?m=1

Anyone interested can contact him on more about Opobians and what they believe.

ABAGWORO ,You have been on about Ijaw issue for the past 15 years trying to make the world believe that Part of Ijaw land is actually Igbo or Efik. Why.. ? You are not even from that part of the world so why the interest ? Are you sponsored by Pro Biafra group ? The meaning of OPOBO is OPUBO. Now is OPUBO an Igbo word ? Was King JAJA the only member of the OPUBO HOUSE ? King JAJA was even an adopted member of the House and KING JAJA accepted the name JAJA which means JUWO JUWO-AA ( JUWO-JUWOGHA ) meaning Somebody can not be another person or simply Another person can not be Another person. If he didnt accept to be Ijaw just as Thousands of Igbos accept to be AMERICANS , He would not accept the name. He Lost his Igbo name and took on the IJAW name and became IJAW. Emeka the IGBO MAN THAT PLAYED basket ball for America did not play for Igbo but AMERICA. King JAJA did not become an IGBO KING BUT AN IJAW king. He Led Ijaw people. The Igbos among the Ijaws accepted to be Ijaw as they were all adopted by Ijaws. Please mind your business and leave Ijaw people alone...The land of OPOBO is shared with the NKORO Ijaws. The NKORO were the ancient DEFAKA IJAWS. On the same land we have the ANDONI people. There is no EFIK there. An EFIK LAND WAS ONCE MISTAKENLY CALLED opobo AND that land is IKOT ABASI. Its the IKOT ABASI people referred to as OPOBO ON EFIK land. Stop confusing yourself...

The website you posted was probably writen by a high school student cos although, it makes sense ,the story is wrong in many ways. First, JAJA does not mean JUGBOJUGBOARI..( This does not mean anything in IBANI IJAW )..Secondly, the meaning of OPOBO is not my big BROTHER. OPOBO is the adulterated way of saying OPUBO which means great person... And you read from the website that JAJA was brought as a slave to the IBANI town of BONNY where he was given freedom. WOULD A BLACK AFRICAN SLAVE IN ARAB LAND TURN ARAB LAND TO BE african LAND ?. IJAW people bought him and gave him freedom. So if he had been taken to JAMAICA you d say JAMAICA is IGBO LAND right ? For your information, he was actually taken to the Grenada where he died and was burried .. So I think GRENADA is an IGBO land too.

4 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:09pm On Nov 09, 2013
Abagworo, why continue to invest your time in this topic? Those whom you are engaging with have consistently proven themselves eager to wage war over things that were never said.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 11:18pm On Nov 09, 2013
ChinenyeN: Abagworo, why continue to invest your time in this topic? Those whom you are engaging with have consistently proven themselves eager to wage war over things that were never said.

Lol. I believe its more of insecurity and inferiority complex.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 12:37am On Nov 10, 2013
Abagworo:

Lol. I believe its more of insecurity and inferiority complex.
I believe that those who are insecure and have inferiority complex are those who are not content and cmfortable in their own skin but go abt lookin for people who they can lay claim to undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 11:50am On Nov 10, 2013
ChinenyeN: Abagworo, why continue to invest your time in this topic? Those whom you are engaging with have consistently proven themselves eager to wage war over things that were never said .
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 12:27am On Nov 11, 2013
^^^^ oya abagworo sorry o I apologise. We are all igbo, all d people of southern Nigeria are all igbo we and all our ancestors I hope u are now happy and I hope u will now rest and put an end to this ur hobby of opening igbo expansionist thread now that u have finally conquerd all ethnic groups....on the internet. Abagworo d'alu o !

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Abagworo(m): 1:14am On Nov 11, 2013
1 shortblackboy: ^^^^ oya abagworo sorry o I apologise.

You have consistently proven yourself eager
to wage war over things that were never said.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 1:21am On Nov 11, 2013
Abagworo:

You have consistently proven yourself eager
to wage war over things that were never said.
tongue
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by shota(m): 5:00pm On Nov 12, 2013
1 shortblackboy: ^^^^ oya abagworo sorry o I apologise. We are all igbo, all d people of southern Nigeria are all igbo we and all our ancestors I hope u are now happy and I hope u will now rest and put an end to this ur hobby of opening igbo expansionist thread now that u have finally conquerd all ethnic groups....on the internet. Abagworo d'alu o !

Igbo people will now hold a big party at Onitsha for this . hahahaha . Ok Igbo people.. make una begin teach us Igbo make we learn..LOL.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 11:02pm On Nov 12, 2013
nna no be small party o odikwa serious. nwana weterem odekwu otu na isiewu na ubga this 1 na for deey Abagworo head grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by classicEntity(m): 2:17pm On Nov 13, 2013
If guys lyk drag frm nw til tomorrow, u cnt change d fact that JaJa (Igboman) established the town and thus ther was heavy Igbo migration as well, u cnt change d fact dat d city is far frm d main Igbolands in Rivers state, u cnt change d fact dat d town is located within d territories of ibibios, u cnt change d fact dat they speak Igbo lang evn as I am typing this nw, u stil cnt change d fact dat an average Opobo indigene sees himself as neighther Igbo nor evn Ijaw bt as opoboman, and u cnt change d fact dat opobo ppl can communicate with ova 40 mil ppl in Nigeria with ease, nd stil reserve d right will of freedom of association wen d right tym comes, so pls let dis stupi:d arguement stop.

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 7:35pm On Nov 13, 2013
^^^^^^^nne wete 1 plate of pepper soup and stout for deey classicentity party odikwa serious for here grin grin grin
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 7:46pm On Nov 13, 2013
classicEntity: If guys lyk drag frm nw til tomorrow, u cnt change d fact that JaJa (Igboman) established the town and thus ther was heavy Igbo migration as well, u cnt change d fact dat d city is far frm d main Igbolands in Rivers state, u cnt change d fact dat d town is located within d territories of ibibios, u cnt change d fact dat they speak Igbo lang evn as I am typing this nw, u stil cnt change d fact dat an average Opobo indigene sees himself as neighther Igbo nor evn Ijaw bt as opoboman, and u cnt change d fact dat opobo ppl can communicate with ova 40 mil ppl in Nigeria with ease, nd stil reserve d right will of freedom of association wen d right tym comes, so pls let dis stupi:d arguement stop.

^^^
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 31, 2014
Interesting Thread.

I believe I've stumbled on an Ibani Dictionary App somewhere on the Google Android playstore.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 01, 2014
The thing about most Ijaws is that they know the truth, yet they try as much to spread false propaganda, by trying to obliterate completely the Igbo ties of the Opobo people.
1. Opobo of today may align politically with Ijaws does not make them ethnic Ijaws.
2. Opobians from Opobo town, Queens town, Epellema, Kallaibiama, Down-Below and other satellite towns of the kingdom simply identify themselves as Opobians. Neither are they Ijaws nor Igbos in spite of having a mixed heritage of Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio and Ogoni.
3. Opobo people speak Igbo language spiced up with pidgin. But Igbo is more pronounced and intelligible to every Opobian (a clan language of such). Unlike Bonny that speak Igbo added with a bit of pidgin and ibani to form a sort of creole language.
4. The major cultural festival in Opobo and even Bonny is the Nwaotam festival, originating from Ndokiland.
5. The kingship system of both Opobo and Bonny is Ijaw styled. The king is known as Amayanabo, while different canoe house (Wari) is headed by an Alabo - the Alabo is a chieftaincy title given to the head of each family (canoe house). Apart from being a son of a polo (a direct family compound), Every Opobian trace their village to a Wari. You know an Opobo man (even a Bonny man) from his surname. Unlike a typical surname begotten from a direct grandfather, the Igbani people bear their village name as surname. For instance a man from Cookey-Gam wari (quarters) is identified by the surname Cookey, the same goes with the Urantas, the Jajas, the Petersides, the Minimas etc. Infact, a popular Nigerian music video director goes by the name Adasa Cookey.
6. The native attire of the Opobians is the 19th century British styled robe and a black Fedora hat. The dress is worn by people from the riverine areas (from Calabar down to Warri). But in order to differentiate themselves from the lot, the Opobians (along with the Bonny's) wear a cultural kind of cap specifically for numerous home occasions. For social gatherings they wear a sort of reddish cap designed with a gold-like relics on its surface. While for the Nwaotam festival and the boat reggatta, they wear a typical Igbo Mazi head gear.
7. The ancestral home of the Opobo people is Bonny. But the most revered and epochal is Amaigbo, the ancestral home of the towns founder and King (Jaja). The community usually send representatives to Amaigbo during festive periods. In Amaigbo town, for example, the Opobians built a secondary school in honour of Jaja.

5 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 4:28am On Nov 02, 2014
Haa una no dey tire ? shocked
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 5:21am On Nov 02, 2014
Chiwude:
The thing about most Ijaws is that they know the truth, yet they try as much to spread false propaganda, by trying to obliterate completely the Igbo ties of the Opobo people.
1. Opobo of today may align politically with Ijaws does not make them ethnic Ijaws.
2. Opobians from Opobo town, Queens town, Epellema, Kallaibiama, Down-Below and other satellite towns of the kingdom simply identify themselves as Opobians. Neither are they Ijaws nor Igbos in spite of having a mixed heritage of Igbo, Ijaw, Ibibio and Ogoni.
3. Opobo people speak Igbo language spiced up with pidgin. But Igbo is more pronounced and intelligible to every Opobian (a clan language of such). Unlike Bonny that speak Igbo added with a bit of pidgin and ibani to form a sort of creole language.
4. The major cultural festival in Opobo and even Bonny is the Nwaotam festival, originating from Ndokiland.
5. The kingship system of both Opobo and Bonny is Ijaw styled. The king is known as Amayanabo, while different canoe house (Wari) is headed by an Alabo - the Alabo is a chieftaincy title given to the head of each family (canoe house). Apart from being a son of a polo (a direct family compound), Every Opobian trace their village to a Wari. You know an Opobo man (even a Bonny man) from his surname. Unlike a typical surname begotten from a direct grandfather, the Igbani people bear their village name as surname. For instance a man from Cookey-Gam wari (quarters) is identified by the surname Cookey, the same goes with the Urantas, the Jajas, the Petersides, the Minimas etc. Infact, a popular Nigerian music video director goes by the name Adasa Cookey.
6. The native attire of the Opobians is the 19th century British styled robe and a black Fedora hat. The dress is worn by people from the riverine areas (from Calabar down to Warri). But in order to differentiate themselves from the lot, the Opobians (along with the Bonny's) wear a cultural kind of cap specifically for numerous home occasions. For social gatherings they wear a sort of reddish cap designed with a gold-like relics on its surface. While for the Nwaotam festival and the boat reggatta, they wear a typical Igbo Mazi head gear.
7. The ancestral home of the Opobo people is Bonny. But the most revered and epochal is Amaigbo, the ancestral home of the towns founder and King (Jaja). The community usually send representatives to Amaigbo during festive periods. In Amaigbo town, for example, the Opobians built a secondary school in honour of Jaja.

Is Bonny Igbo quite understood by a non-Bonny Igbo person? How mutually intelligible is it to central Igbo?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:12am On Nov 02, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Is Bonny Igbo quite understood by a non-Bonny Igbo person? How mutually intelligible is it to central Igbo?

Bonny-Opobo Igbo is basically like Ndokki (Ukwa) Igbo. An Ukwa/Ndokki man would have no problems understanding it. But I think for Igbos who come from farther inland, it might not be all that easily understood.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Deltagiant: 1:53pm On Nov 02, 2014
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO3xLlXf-8M

Radoillo:

Bonny-Opobo Igbo is basically like Ndokki (Ukwa) Igbo. An Ukwa/Ndokki man would have no problems understanding it. But I think for Igbos who come from farther inland, it might not be all that easily understood.

I believe any Igbo from the hinterland can fairly communicate with a native Opobian as can be seen from the video link above.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Nov 02, 2014
Deltagiant:

I believe any Igbo from the hinterland can fairly communicate with a native Opobian as can be seen from the video link above.

Yeah, a typical Southern Igbo guy would easily understand the Opobo-Bonny dialect. But, people from Ndoki flawlessly communicate with the Igbani's. I remember during my short stay at Waterlines P/H, I had numerous Igbani friends who spoke flawless Igbo along with their whole family. One of them bore the name Hillary Hart ( his quarters is a reknowed wari in bonny island). So all the while, I thought he was from Abia state, not until he gave me the shocker of my life. He told me one day, that though his village folks speak Igbo, yet, they were'nt Igbo, but Igbani. He even went as far as saying that from his grand mum down to his great-grand mum all were from Ndoki. And that in his community, it is a taboo for a man to marry from another tribe if not Igbo. His mum is Ngwa, and most of his aunts are from Imo state. However, he informed me that there is a concerted effort in his community to bring back the long dead Ibani language. He also said that currently, a part of Bonny almost close to Kalabari land, called Finima - currently hosting the NLNG gas plant - speaks Ibani. But from the palace of their Amanayabo to the other breath of Bonny, their native languge is Igbo, which they call Ubani or Igbani. Note : their Igbo dialect which they call Igbani is different from the Ibani (Ijaw dialect) spoken in Kalabari.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 4:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
Deltagiant:

I understood perfectly every thing the old man said in that video. Their Igbo is pure then, typical of many southern Igbo dialects. A typical southerner or anyone exposed to any southern Igbo dialect (like me) will understand perfectly what he said.

Opobo people speak Igbo language.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 4:29pm On Nov 02, 2014
Radoillo:

Right. I watched the video and I understood what the man stayed, give3n my long stay in Owerri, Imo state. What the man spoke is almost the same to what you commonly hear on the streets of owerri (not Owerri dialect itself but speakers of other Imo dialects living in Owerri town).
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 4:35pm On Nov 02, 2014
Chiwude:
Yeah, a typical Southern Igbo guy would easily understand the Opobo-Bonny dialect. But, people from Ndoki flawlessly communicate with the Igbani's. I remember during my short stay at Waterlines P/H, I had numerous Igbani friends who spoke flawless Igbo along with their whole family. One of them bore the name Hillary Hart ( his quarters is a reknowed wari in bonny island). So all the while, I thought he was from Abia state, not until he gave me the shocker of my life. He told me one day, that though his village folks speak Igbo, yet, they were'nt Igbo, but Igbani. He even went as far as saying that from his grand mum down to his great-grand mum all were from Ndoki. And that in his community, it is a taboo for a man to marry from another tribe if not Igbo. His mum is Ngwa, and most of his aunts are from Imo state. However, he informed me that there is a concerted effort in his community to bring back the long dead Ibani language. He also said that currently, a part of Bonny almost close to Kalabari land, called Finima - currently hosting the NLNG gas plant - speaks Ibani. But from the palace of their Amanayabo to the other breath of Bonny, their native languge is Igbo, which they call Ubani or Igbani. Note : their Igbo dialect which they call Igbani is different from the Ibani (Ijaw dialect) spoken in Kalabari.

Interesting insight. I remember reading somewhere that some Finima natives were beginning to adopt Igbo language to conform with their Bonny counterparts. How true is that?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Nov 02, 2014
So I watched the video, and based on the little information I have on Bonny-Opobo Igbo and Ndoki Igbo, I don't think the man was speaking Opobo-Bonny Igbo. He appears to be speaking SCI. I also had an Opobo friend when I was in PH who spoke fluent SCI. The Ikwerre are also able to communicate fluently in SCI in addition to speaking their own dialect which most Igbos (but not all) have problems understanding.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by 1shortblackboy: 5:06pm On Nov 02, 2014
Chiwude:
anybody from rivers state will laff at this ur long statement. Its either ur memory of what ur friend told u is failing or ur just confused. What did u say d kalabaris speak again ? grin
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 5:26pm On Nov 02, 2014
1shortblackboy:
anybody from rivers state will laff at this ur long statement. Its either ur memory of what ur friend told u is failing or ur just confused. What did u say d kalabaris speak again ? grin

I think he meant to say the Ibani spoken in Ijaw-speaking-part of Bonny ie Finima.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 02, 2014
bigfrancis21:

I think he meant to say the Ibani spoken in Ijaw-speaking-part of Bonny ie Finima.
The dude knew what I meant. Let me be clear again: the Finima's speak Ibani(Ijoid). The Bonny and Opobo people apart from our (Lingua-Franca English) speak a dialect of Igbo, they call Igbani (Igboid).
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Deltagiant: 5:50pm On Nov 02, 2014
Chiwude:

I heard many years ago that the Igbo Bible was even written in the Igbani-Igbo dialect. Though some of our Ijaw friends would never accept that Igbani has/had anything to do with Igbo language.

Concerning your friend, why would his Igbo speaking community forbid non Igbos from marrying in the community even as they claim not to be Igbos themselves? Does it make any sense? Could it be they're of the stock of the original Umu-Ubani Ngwa co-founders of Bonny and indirectly hiding it as a result of the war?
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Deltagiant: 5:57pm On Nov 02, 2014
Radoillo:
So I watched the video, and based on the little information I have on Bonny-Opobo Igbo and Ndoki Igbo, I don't think the man was speaking Opobo-Bonny Igbo. He appears to be speaking SCI. I also had an Opobo friend when I was in PH who spoke fluent SCI. The Ikwerre are also able to communicate fluently in SCI in addition to speaking their own dialect which most Igbos (but not all) have problems understanding.

This is undiluted Opobo. This is what i hear Jacob Obomanu, my good friend, speak always with his Opobo wife.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:00pm On Nov 02, 2014
Deltagiant:

I heard many years ago that the Igbo Bible was even written in the Igbani-Igbo dialect. Though some of our Ijaw friends would never accept that Igbani has/had anything to do with Igbo language.

Concerning your friend, why would his Igbo speaking community forbid non Igbos from marrying in the community even as they claim not to be Igbos themselves? Does it make any sense? Could it be they're of the stock of the original Umu-Ubani Ngwa co-founders of Bonny and indirectly hiding it as a result of the war?
It is not as if it is forbidden to marry from other tribes. But it's like they have gotten used to the idea of marrying from the Igbo hinterlands. Imagine for instance a family whereby the grand mother is Igbo, your mum too is Igbo and stuffs like that. I think the people of Bonny marry Igbo women deliberately. Maybe, they see it as a way of sustaining their native Igbo language, their culinary pattern and parental upbringing and so on.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2014
Deltagiant:

This is undiluted Opobo. This is what i hear Jacob Obomanu, my good friend, speak always with his Opobo wife.

If this is undiluted Opobo, then I don't think it is at all different from the Igbo one would hear in the major cities throughout southern Igboland (SCI). That on its own is enough reason to be suspicious of its undiluted Opobo-ness. Is there any explanation for why he kept saying 'm' for 'me/I' instead of the characteristic Ndoki/Igbani 'ikem'? I thought that was a bit odd.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 02, 2014
One important thing about Bonny-Opobo people is that they cherish their lands, culture and language. If you ask the Bonny man his tribe, he will simply tell you Igbani. And when you ask an Opobo man, he'll tell you Opobo or Opobian. Yet, they see themselves as blood brothers. Their cultural festival (Nwaotam and the boat regatta) and their Igbo dialect is their most unifying factor. In time, I see them creating a distinct ethnic nationality that is distinct from the Igbo and Ijaw hegemony. My thoughts though!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.