Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,816 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:05 AM

Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? (88287 Views)

Hero:king JAJA OF OPOBO Full Biography,history Battle With The British(pictures) / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ] / How Many Igbo Dialects Do U Speak And Understand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 19, 2014
ijawcitizen:
nobody cares about the delusions of the canibals anymore...such opinions are only relevant in da canibal enclaves alone
is it d delusions of drunkards and pipeline vandals dat anybody cares abt... highest thing u ppl wud do is bomb pipeline and nothing more... when Gej leaves aso rock Dats d time Nigeria wud tell u guys to repeat all those ur threats.... ogogoro mumu.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ogele: 10:54pm On Dec 21, 2014
ow11:
@Andre

You are actually right. Oprah wasn't a good analogy and yes his original village should do something to honour such a great man. However, He remains Jaja of Opobo (his new village) and yes The Amayanabo of Opobo sees himself as Ijaw but would not mind calling the Igbos his brothers when he can trace some of his ancestry to Igboland.

Jaja's history is very open and no one can lie about it but it would be out of place if you say Jaja is not Ijaw because he lived most of his life in Ijawland and even founded a new clan there but then again He is also Igbo by birth.

The act of the King ican be equated in some way to what Ndoki people do when they see an Okrika or Kalabari man and say you are my brother. I guess you know the story of the Ndoki people in Abia state.
the same can be said the current president of Gabon. The president is an igbo man was one of those igbo kids he adoted during the war in Nigeria. he had no son. The
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by juman(m): 9:25pm On Jan 09, 2015
Hmmm,

We have potentially wonderful country but very bad "leaders".
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by WilyWily: 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2015
mmmmm
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 2:54am On Oct 27, 2015
ChinenyeN:
The write-up isn't available for the time being. I wanted to strengthen the chronology with more research, so I took it down for re-editing. I actually managed to successfully get the research done, but never got around to actually re-editing the document. I guess I could get back to it all once my schedule frees up, but for the time being I'm much more interested in dispelling falsehoods via discourse with willing Ijo.

Just so you're aware though, the write-up is not all-inclusive. It primarily focuses on the controversy concerning inter-relations during the formative years, and not the later years of the established kingdom, as I feel that has been extensively treated by the academia.

ChinenyeN, I wonder if you were able to finally re edit the document.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by pazienza(m): 2:58am On Oct 27, 2015
Deltagiant:

Yes, part of the grand design to severe the Igbo ties is not unconnected with the long kingship tussle that greeted Opobo at the demise of her last Amanyanabo. As we all know, there was a gang up by some chieftaincy houses of Ijaw origins in Opobo to unseat the Jajas. But after 30 years of legal battle, the Nigerian Supreme Court, on the 23rd of April, 2003, ruled that “Opobo is not a traditional town as we know it. It is a Settlement founded by King Jaja, and remains his estate and that of his descendants” Led by the legal giant, the late Chief G.C.M Onyiuke (SAN), the Jajas' authority over Opobo was permanently signed and sealed.

It was after the landmark ruling that the family established a foundation in honor of their patriach and quickly appointed Anyim Pius Anyim, the then Senate President, as the life Chairman. Thus, the success or otherwise of de-tonguing Opobo - from Igbo to Ijoid Ibani - will largely depend on the acceptance of the Jaja dynasty. Opobo was founded on Igbo language. And King Dandeson Douglas Jaja, the man I saw at Peter Obi’s farewell gathering at Awka, does not appear like someone who would play with history and tradition.

Opobo is one settlement that will be difficult for revisionists to undo as all documents signed by King Jaja himself on behalf of his estate were well secured. And which helped the surviving off-springs reclaim their father’s settlement in the Supreme Court. Therefore, it is only the Jaja family that can determine the cultural identity of Opobo.

In August 2014, at the Elekahia Stadium, Port Harcourt, Hon. Dakuku Peterside representing Opobo told the “unification” gathering of Ohaneze Ndigbo that “I’m a full blooded Igboman….My town, Opobo, was founded by an Igbo, the mighty King Jaja...”

Bro, do you have any link to this supreme court judgement on Opobo and jajas.

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 27, 2015
all West Africans and Bantus in Africa that have E1B1A are the Real Hebrew Israelites in the Bible. we came from Israel. please click to this Facebook page :- https://m.facebook.com/e1b1ahaplogroupnation?__tn__=C . ask the Genetics Doctor, he will explain everything to you all . Shalom
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:03pm On Oct 27, 2015
pazienza:
ChinenyeN, I wonder if you were able to finally re edit the document.

No, I haven't yet gotten around to it. It's been a while. I haven't thought about it.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ROYALD(m): 2:10am On Dec 24, 2015
Opobo–Nkoro (also spelled Opobo/Nkoro) is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria. It is part of the Andoni/Opobo/nkoro constituency of the Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Rivers. The capital is Opobo Town.[1]

The Opobo–Nkoro people are mainly farmers and fishermen.They are of Igbo extraction. They speak Igbo language. Just like the neighbouring Bonny, founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the hinterland transformed the demography of the area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also settled there and the Igbo language was adopted. Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters have fully been integrated into the original indigenous Igbo communities.

Pro-Natura International Nigeria has been assisting in community-led development in the LGA.[2]

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by lawani: 11:25am On Apr 10, 2016
pazienza:

I am not an Ikwerre,so i will leave that battle of whether Ph is ikwerreland and by extension igboland to the ikwerre people,i want to believe that like the ndoki people,who maintained the igbo border at okoloma,and the anioma whose bravery shielded us from bini expansionism and kept the boundary at agbor,will be able to maintain our southern boundary.

But then again, this Ph issue had long been resolved in the thread "the true extent of igboland".

In the eventuality of the fall of nigeria,i wonder the chance the ijaw nation of just over 5million(this is me being generous),stands against the igbo of over 30million in the fight for Ph,considering that you guys will equally be fighting with the itsekiri for the soul of warri,and with the bini for gelegele.

Does ijaw have what it takes to sustain a battle at three fronts against formidable and fierce opponents like the igbo,itsekiri and the bini's?

Bro,you better pray that Nigeria don't disintegrate,cos if that happens,ijaw will get burnt.

You cant be too sure. People in the Niger Delta have been stockpiling arms and I dont believe Igbos can trample over them the way you said.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 10:06am On Sep 30, 2016
ow11:
@Andre

You are actually right. Oprah wasn't a good analogy and yes his original village should do something to honour such a great man. However, He remains Jaja of Opobo (his new village) and yes The Amayanabo of Opobo sees himself as Ijaw but would not mind calling the Igbos his brothers when he can trace some of his ancestry to Igboland.

Jaja's history is very open and no one can lie about it but it would be out of place if you say Jaja is not Ijaw because he lived most of his life in Ijawland and even founded a new clan there but then again He is also Igbo by birth.

The act of the King ican be equated in some way to what Ndoki people do when they see an Okrika or Kalabari man and say you are my brother. I guess you know the story of the Ndoki people in Abia state.

I am interested In this 'Ndoki people' history. Can't find any scholarly article on them. Can you help
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 9:40pm On Nov 25, 2016
ezeagu:
Opobo people are linked with Nkwerre through Eze Jubogha.

EZE!!! since when has Jaja( Jubo Jubogha) ever been refered to as EZE. He is Amanyanabo, the one owns the town. Opobo is not igbo, why can't you guy get it into your heads!! Our culture is different, our TRUE language sounds nothing like yours.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by ezeagu(m): 1:01am On Nov 26, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

EZE!!! since when has Jaja( Jubo Jubogha) ever been refered to as EZE. He is Amanyanabo, the one owns the town. Opobo is not igbo, why can't you guy get it into your heads!! Our culture is different, our TRUE language sounds nothing like yours.

You're really ranting for nothing if you pay attention well.

2 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Eastfield1: 1:21am On Nov 26, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

Nice name coinage after many years
We are waiting for u to come take an inch of Opobo.
Clown

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:18am On Nov 26, 2016
Eastfield1:

Clown
Useless ipob coward you have come again...bastards
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:26am On Nov 26, 2016
BiriboofOpobo:

I minabo, bu balabalama, these igbos are just land grabbers, dey are no longer afraid of "mba miri" people, illiterate bunch dat dont know Ibani is an ijaw language
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:33am On Nov 26, 2016
pazienza:

Bro, do you have any link to this supreme court judgement on Opobo and jajas.
Don't mind that bastard, dey never have any links to butress their lies, the kingship tussle in opobo has happened in every other community in Nigeria, it has happened in okoloma, kalabari, wakirike, it wasn't any igbo vs ijaw fight, all opobians are one, its funny that they can not show d link to a valid article(not nairaland) with video wer dakuku said he is igbo,
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:38am On Nov 26, 2016
udezue:
Ijaw girl is so immature. SMH

My relatives are from Bonny and they are half Igbo and Ijaw. No BIGGIE
The Amayanabo attended the recent Ada Igbo event so he obviously knows he is Igbo whether he is in Ijaw land or not and I'm sure he also has Ijaw blood if his forefathers married Ijaw women then. Jaja of Opobo is an Igbo man hence his decendants can't be less Igbo. They are also Igbo. Do they have Ijaw? Ofcourse if they intermarried. Whats the big deal. Opobo and Bonny are like Arochukwu, Abiriba, Kwale where more than 1 ethnic nations have mixed so well its hard to tell the difference. You can't deny the multi ethnic heritage even when one culture like the Igbo is far more influential than others because of their large population. Its only in Rivers you find innocent topics that should be used to educate and even bring us much closer controversial by the likes of Ijaw girl who thinks that throwing insults will change facts.

Nwa-gbogho biko kpachara anya ki.
We have never claimed to be igbo, we have constantly said we are ibani ijaw, why dont you call enugu people half igala, and anambra people half benin,
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 5:39am On Nov 26, 2016
Here is ibani egere(ibani language) so let all this stupid arguments stop. Cc Jobless ipob goats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M_KnhUXxw
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Eastfield1: 2:07am On Nov 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Useless ipob coward you have come again...bastards
m not an ipob.
nor do i'm i in support nor against Biafra .
U Can
Call me any name U like.
But let me make it clear.
Dat will not and will never change the fact on the ground.
Not Even an inch of Opobo will we d people of ama igbo leave for U Ijaw thieves.
mark my word.
we hv already started making plan to make sure of dat on every Amigbo Youth meeting

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 9:06am On Nov 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:
Here is ibani egere(ibani language) so let all this stupid arguments stop. Cc Jobless ipob goats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2M_KnhUXxw

Smh. grin No wonder the natives still prefer Igbo to Ibani till today. wink

3 Likes

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Nobody: 11:32am On Nov 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Na you get ur mouth
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Eastfield1: 12:45am On Nov 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

From dat your windows 98 abi, nama na fini, you are a chest beating coward like Ojukwu b4 u
Kk
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 11:49pm On Nov 29, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Na you get ur mouth

I think I may have seen you on facebook before, on my 'persons you may know' list. wink
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by Unimaginable123: 10:16am On Dec 04, 2016
sosisi:

The current jaja of opobo is an Igbo man?
opobo people are igbos

1 Like

Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by bigfrancis21: 10:23pm On Dec 04, 2016
Unimaginable123:
opobo people are igbos

Opobo was an estate established by Jubogha. It is not a traditional village like most other villages in Nigeria.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 2:51am On Dec 05, 2016
ezeagu:

You're really ranting for nothing if you pay attention well.

Perhaps, or maybe I just tired of you people claiming what is not your own[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 3:01am On Dec 05, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

I minabo, bu balabalama, these igbos are just land grabbers, dey are no longer afraid of "mba miri" people, illiterate bunch dat dont know Ibani is an ijaw language

I minabo, ani oko fini. We know who we are, we know our story of origin. Its a shame that these igbo men and women have nothing better to do then claim what does not belong to them.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 3:15am On Dec 05, 2016
Eastfield1:

Clown

Who is we? It is I and the 21 war canoe houses of Opobo who are waiting for you.
Oh and FYI, Jubo Jubogha is his IBANI name, not a coinage.

I don't blame you, I blame your ancestors for not giving you a good heritage. Perhaps if they did, you would not try to steel the legacy of another people.
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 3:20am On Dec 05, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Only because snakes such as you try to weave you lies into the brains of our youths. smiley
Re: Can An Average Opobo Indigene Speak And Understand Ijaw? by BiriboofOpobo: 3:55am On Dec 05, 2016
Listen all Igbos, I have nothing against you. Yes, what I say may and probably will be harsh, but is just so that you understand the truth. We the people of Opobo are not igbo. Yes Jaja was born in Ameigbo, but for his adolescence to adulthood he was in Bonny(Ibani) and Opobo(Opubo). If was our Amanyanabo who shaped him into the legend he is today, not Ameigbo. He led the Manilla house to the area we now call Opobo. If truly Jaja saw himself as a Igbo man, why did he name the area Opubo, after his Master, meaning one who is big.

You Igbos have a wonderful culture with an amazing language. Why do you feel the need to take my ancestors legacy?

If I have said anything incorrect about Opobo's history please let the TRUE Awo of Opobo people correct me.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Photos Of The Rolls-Royces In Emir Sanusi’s Garage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Corpse Of Igwe Henry Ekwueme, Eze Ndi Igbo In China Packaged; To Be Flown To Nig

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.