Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed (6879 Views)

Pls How Can I Achieve This With Php / How Can I Allow Share Folder On Windows 10 For A User To Be Able To Acess It / You Might Be Able To Win This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by dansmog(m): 9:45am On Feb 25, 2016
Why is nairaland so fast, even when your network is slow? What are they using? How?

Someone should explain.
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by lordZOUGA(m): 9:46am On Feb 25, 2016
Juju, Serious Juju.

3 Likes

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by tempest01(m): 9:53am On Feb 25, 2016
I think Seun did some serious redesigning with basic codes to an smf theme, or it was created from scratch
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by dansmog(m): 9:55am On Feb 25, 2016
lordZOUGA:
Juju, Serious Juju.

It must be a very very serious juju..

I mean the site is fast.

1 Like

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by dansmog(m): 9:56am On Feb 25, 2016
tempest01:
I think Seun did some serious redesigning with basic codes to an smf theme, or it was created from scratch

Even at that, it can't be this fast, though it may play a role
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Donald3d(m): 10:12am On Feb 25, 2016
dansmog:

Even at that, it can't be this fast, though it may play a role
So many factors,
-Simple layout
-Cloudfare
-etc
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 25, 2016
That's because there aren't heavy things to load, videos and all. Just text and 4mb max size pictures, there must also be a little bit of technology to make it faster.

1 Like

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 26, 2016
why won't it be fast? No graphics at all, poor CSS design, I hope you are not comparing nairaland to Facebook

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 26, 2016
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Knownpal(m): 9:58am On Feb 26, 2016
I do use nairaland and google to test for network availability.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by playnaija(m): 2:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
Nairaland obtain it speed using three things:

- A good dedicated server
- Minimalistic website design
- Cloudflare and CDN
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 3:11pm On Feb 26, 2016
playnaija:
Nairaland obtain it speed using three things:

- A good dedicated server
- Minimalistic website design
- Cloudflare and CDN

Using CDN for Nairaland is technically and financially unwise, Content Distribution Networks are meant for websites with broader users from various countries. Using a CDN to serve us here in Naija does not make sense except if the server is located in a far away country. But still most of their users are Nigerian.
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 3:21pm On Feb 26, 2016
Text text-image ratio is very high. Nairaland is not heavy at all, so it loads fast.
Facebook is heavy, and with the use of lots of technologies loads faster than regular websites that are even heavier.
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by sleepingdemon: 4:03pm On Feb 26, 2016
dhtml18:
Text text-image ratio is very high. Nairaland is not heavy at all, so it loads fast.
Facebook is heavy, and with the use of lots of technologies loads faster than regular websites that are even heavier.

i agree, that apart, oga seun minimized the use of javascript to the bearest minimum

1 Like

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 6:53pm On Feb 26, 2016
sleepingdemon:

i agree, that apart, oga seun minimized the use of javascript to the bearest minimum

Which is dangerous when it is too minimal, at least we could have instant messaging feature that doesn't reload the browser with ajax and all.

I would've ignored the poor design self if ajax was implemented by Seun.
But it's all good sha.
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by sleepingdemon: 7:17pm On Feb 26, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Which is dangerous when it is too minimal, at least we could have instant messaging feature that doesn't reload the browser with ajax and all.

I would've ignored the poor design self if ajax was implemented by Seun.
But it's all good sha.
but what can we do, nigga is steadily cashing out...i love the idea behind his advert system

2 Likes

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by LordRahl001: 9:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
Seun should please talk to us nao!! Guys @ quora and stackoverflow share tips o their tech and servers. It would also help so folks here!!
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by AnthonyAk(m): 5:14pm On Mar 02, 2016
hmm so people believe nairaland has a poor design? Tbh the owner is sleeping what if i built something better would cats join?

Oh yea as someone said its only text on this site so yea nothing to cache or load
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Fulaman198(m): 6:01pm On Mar 02, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Using CDN for Nairaland is technically and financially unwise, Content Distribution Networks are meant for websites with broader users from various countries. Using a CDN to serve us here in Naija does not make sense except if the server is located in a far away country. But still most of their users are Nigerian.

Do a whois on NL and you'll see that this site is hosted in a different country

1 Like

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 03, 2016
Fulaman198:

Do a whois on NL and you'll see that this site is hosted in a different country

Doesn't still matter, according to alexa.com almost %100 of NL's users are Nigerians...why then use a CDN to deliver to us, when you can host with WhoGoHost and serve us locally.

Well it's no big deal, especially if there's a lot of money.
Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by teampregar(m): 5:22pm On Mar 03, 2016
LordRahl001:
Seun should please talk to us nao!! Guys @ quora and stackoverflow share tips o their tech and servers. It would also help so folks here!!
It is only in Africa DAT developers don't help each other oh.. the teams at Facebook,Instagram, Twitter give out information on what they use and how they use it to scale their companies.. Facebook has even open sourced everything it uses.. go to code.facebook.com

1 Like

Re: How Was Nairaland Able To Achieve Its Speed by pythonleet: 7:11pm On Mar 05, 2016
teampregar:

It is only in Africa DAT developers don't help each other oh.. the teams at Facebook,Instagram, Twitter give out information on what they use and how they use it to scale their companies.. Facebook has even open sourced everything it uses.. go to code.facebook.com

That's because they're sure of their security....but 9ja en? grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Bash/shell Scripting In A Unix/linux Environment / MTN Momo Hack: The Dangerous Aspect Of Programming No One Tells You About / Hilarious Memes you can relate with as a Programmer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.