Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,172 members, 7,807,548 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:11 PM

Authentication of Marriage Certificate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Authentication of Marriage Certificate (7934 Views)

Supreme Court Strikes Down The Defense Of Marriage Act (DOMA) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Authentication of Marriage Certificate by dutchmanr: 5:14pm On Jul 12, 2009
We (my Nigerian wife and me) need some information about the authentication of our Nigerian marrigecertificate at the Nigerian Monistry of Forreign Affairs in Abuja.
According to some ,( Not official), information the MFA will only authenticate a so called ''certified true copy'' of our marriagecertificate which has to be issued at the Local Governenent where we married.

Does anybody know something about this authentificationissues?

We cannot reach the MFA in Abuja by mail or phone, so I would be glad if somebody here could give us any information !
thanks a lot
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by NegroNtns(m): 6:09am On Jul 13, 2009
Why are you seeking recognition of your marriage? Was the marriage not officiated by an authorized priest or official? Did you marryin Nigeria? Are you in Nigeria legally?
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by ElRazur: 2:36pm On Jul 13, 2009
What is this doing here? Another FAILURE on Richy's part. Why the heck is he a moderator?
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Afam(m): 5:18pm On Jul 13, 2009
ElRazur:

What is this doing here? Another FAILURE on Richy's part. Why the heck is he a moderator?

@RichyBlack,

I guess you need to momentarily handover your moderator privileges to ElRazur at least for 2 weeks for us to see how wonderful a moderator he is.

@topic,

This post may not have anything to do with Foreign Affairs but using the post to attack someone is not fair.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by JustGood(m): 5:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Do the moderators get paid to do the job?

Or do they bribe their ways to the job?

There is a particular person who is a moderator and should never be seen near anything responsible.

lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by ElRazur: 6:30pm On Jul 13, 2009
Afam:

@RichyBlack,

I guess you need to momentarily handover your moderator privileges to ElRazur at least for 2 weeks for us to see how wonderful a moderator he is.

It does not require rocket science to moderate around here. May be to you and him it is, but not to me. This thread have been posted since how long now? And the thread is still here. It goes back to all the points I have raised before. Richyblack is not fit to be a moderator period. Take it or leave it.

For the record, it is not for him to hand over anything. Jeez the guy cant even moderate, talk less of delegate **sniggers**

Yeah. Bite me.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Ibime(m): 7:29pm On Jul 13, 2009
Richy abeg give this guy the job. . . . . he doesnt seem to realise you have a life outside NL. . . .
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by ElRazur: 7:34pm On Jul 13, 2009
Ibime:

Richy abeg give this guy the job. . . . . he doesnt seem to realise you have a life outside NL. . . .

Funny enough most of us have a job too. Gosh.

I repeat, it is not rocket science to moderate a forum. RichyBlack is just not doing his job period on the forum.

I think am gonna make a thread entitled "I wiped my buttocks with toilet tissue" let us see how long it take him to remove it. Oh, I would even add hourly time line feeds to raise the bar further.

Like I said before. . . Bite me.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 13, 2009
To those who dont know:

Richyblack does not moderate anything that's outside the specified areas he's been given the "responsibility" to monitor on Nairaland.

That includes issues relating to his tribe, issues on any person, persons or matters relating to politics concerning his tribe.

And lastly, topics with a religious angle pertaining to his political stance and portfolio most times still in the interests of his tribe.

So to keep singing in the rain asking him to moderate each and every thing simply because he's a moderator, is an exercise in futility.

Do cats fly?

The fact that someone is designated a moderator here doesnt mean they're actually moderate. That's a literal interpretation, not a factual one.

and no, its not unusual though highly irritating.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by ElRazur: 9:18pm On Jul 13, 2009
tpia.:

To those who dont know:

Richyblack does not moderate anything that's outside the specified areas he's been given the "responsibility" to monitor on Nairaland.

Are you nuts, or simply not engaging logic? RichyBlack is a moderator for politics. His name is pasted right there for all to see. Yet, there are loads of irrelevant topic floating around here. . . Oh yes, in your eyes it have nothing to do with richyblack.

That includes issues relating to his tribe, issues on any person, persons or issues relating to politics concerning his tribe.

And lastly, topics with a religious angle pertaining to his political stance and portfolio most times still in the interests of his tribe.

So he is biased like I have laways pointed out? Nice one, but if you do not notice, you validated my point about his biased ways.

So to keep singing in the rain asking him to moderate each and every thing simply because he's a moderator, is an exercise in futility.

Say what? Refer back to my previous post. He is not even moderating where he is supposed to moderate. . . .what are you talking about?

Do cats fly?

Bleep me. My head hurts.

The fact that someone is designated a moderator here doesnt mean they're actually moderate. That's a literal interpretation, not a factual one.

What ever you are smoking, I want some of it. I am sure the meaning of that was lost in translation.

and no, its not unusual though highly irritating.

Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by couple: 11:52am On Jul 21, 2009
Poster i just did mine n yes u need a certified true copy n not d one u were issued on ur marriage day.i am dutch too u can email me im still in abj.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by dutchmanr: 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2009
Thanks!

would like to e-mail you, just dont know how to do ,
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by couple: 12:08pm On Jul 26, 2009
Lightgirl70@yahoo.com
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by FBS: 4:59pm On Jul 26, 2009
couple:

Poster i just did mine n yes u need a certified true copy n not d one u were issued on ur marriage day.i am dutch too u can email me im still in abj.
what is the difference between the one he was giving on the wedding day and the "true copy"

@poster, beware of fraud.

All you have to do is take the marriage certificate given to you on your wedding day (duly signed by the registrar, you, your wife and witnesses) and take to the Ministry of foreign affairs for certification. Last I heard, you have to produce passport photographs.
After this proceed to whichever embassy (let's say in your own case, Dutch embassy) for them to legalize it.
End of story.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by dutchmanr: 6:03pm On Jul 26, 2009
Thanks a lot FBS and Couple!

Excactly this is what we did, but the Dutch embassy keep telling us that the Nigerian Ministry of Forreign Affairs is not allowed to legalise that document.
According to them , the Nig. Ministry is only allowed by the Nigerian law or rules of the ministry to legalise the so called certified copy of our marriagecertificate.
This so called true certified copy is described like this: a copy of our marriagecertificte (the one we got on our marriageday from the local governement) what is issued, signed and stamped by the officials at the local governement where our marriage took place. This copy should also bear the words''true certified copy''.
Our problem now is that we cannot find out in any way HOW the rules of the Nigerian Ministry are about this case.
In opposite of what our Dutch embassy tells us ,we have the proof that the Nig. Ministry makes legalisation of original marriagedocuments because they did this with our document.
but the Dutch authorities do not want to accept this,
I realy wish I could find a way to contact somebody of the Nigerian Ministry to ask about this issue, but as I wrote in the beginning already: evrything we tried to do for contacting them is without any result .(mail, phone, embassy in Holland, letter)
The policy of our governement is realy bad in case of immigration of people from outside the European Union, and they make it as difficult as only is possibe for this people. They realy do not help us to get my wife and child to me in Holland, but somehow they all the time make everything difficult for us!

If there is a good suggestion to contact the Nigerian Ministry so that I can ask my questions, please let me know?!
thanks a lot.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by chillbabe(f): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2009
Hey poster het was een hell om het voorelkaar te krijgen. Het heeft ons een maand de tijd gekost. Je moet die copie hebben want die originele wordt niet gedaan door buitenlandsezaken stuur mij een mailtje dan kan ik je helpen. Grappig dat ik nederlands kan schrijven op dit forum en ik ben geen fraudeur.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by FBS: 7:40am On Jul 27, 2009
dutchmanr:

If there is a good suggestion to contact the Nigerian Ministry so that I can ask my questions, please let me know?!
thanks a lot.

1. The MFA do not legalise documents. They only certify it. Normally with a seal of the office of the MFA at the back of your marriage certificate. Check my previous posting. The Dutch embassy are the ones to do the legalisation. i.e concurring to the fact that the marriage certificate you hold is not fake (the seal of the MFA on it) which makes it legal and valid in The Netherlands.

2. You may have to be tough with the Dutch embassy on this "true certified copy" issue. Think about it, you are not meant to have 2 marriage certificates. IT MUST BE ONE. All certifications, legalisations are meant to be made on it. The only other "true copy" that you may have is a translated copy- i.e if necessary.

You should also remember that Marriage certificates are signed in triplicates. They give you one copy and they (The Marriage Registry) keep the remaining two copies.

3. www.mfa.gov.ng - This is the site of the MFA but it is not available at the moment. In order not to waste time, go to the MFA yourself or your wife and ask these questions.

Hope this helps.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by 9jaHope(m): 8:16am On Jul 27, 2009
dutchmanr:

We (my Nigerian wife and me) need some information about the authentication of our Nigerian marrigecertificate at the Nigerian Monistry of Forreign Affairs in Abuja.
According to some ,( Not official), information the MFA will only authenticate a so called ''certified true copy'' of our marriagecertificate which has to be issued at the Local Governenent where we married.
Does anybody know something about this authentificationissues?
We cannot reach the MFA in Abuja by mail or phone, so I would be glad if somebody here could give us any information !thanks a lot
The way it works is that you will make 2 photocopies(I suggest 2 so u can keep one for the future) of the original& take the 3 copies(1 original for sighting & 2 copies) to MOFA abuja. They'll hold on to the 3 and certify the 2 copies with the Ministry's seal & authorised signature and then return all 3 . You'll pay I think N1k  for each certification.

MY ADVISE DON'T INVOLVE ANY OF THE POLICEMEN OR SECURITY OUTSIDE THE MOFA ,THEY'LL MILK YOU DRY,JUST GO IN AT THE ADVISED TIME AND WAIT YOUR TURN,IF THEY EVEN SUSPECT YOU'RE IN A HURRY OR YOU'RE A JJC . . . . . . .  . .

You may have to take a trip down to abuja yourself,as they'll only certify in your presence. They do it on Mon,Wed & Thursday. .  . .so you can sort it in one week. The alternative is that you visit the Nig embassy(I know they're all useless,but try).
I don't know what your specific requirements are however,you may need to visit the Dutch embassy in Abuja as well to further authenticate it. Once you do this the document will be acceptable in the Netherlands.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by dutchmanr: 8:18am On Jul 27, 2009
Thanks again!

Finaly it will be the only option what we have to go to Abuja and ask this things personal!

I noticed that the mailadress is not available, and as you know this is one of the reasons we cannot contact them.

I will keep being tough about everything towards our Dutch Consulate, because we know that we are in fact right about everything!

You are right about the word ''certifie'', legalisation has to be done on the Dutch consulate, and what the Nigerian Ministrie do is called certifying or authenticate the documents.

Finaly everything depends on the attitude of the Dutch Embassy, so the ''war'' is going on and I hope we can finaly convince to accept our document what is signed and stamped by the Nig. Ministry!

One more time: Thanks a lot for your help and reply!
God bless,
Rien
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by 9jaHope(m): 8:23am On Jul 27, 2009
No worries mate,its quite sad indeed. My only other advise if you can't go to abuja(which is you safest bet really),is that you can contact any other EU Nigerian embassy to assist.
Once another EU body authenticates you're all clear. . . . . . . wink
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by dutchmanr: 9:41am On Jul 27, 2009
Hoi Chillbabe!

ik probeerde je een mail te sturen , maar dit lukt niet !
Hieronder zie je het door mijn provider gestuurde bericht met de reden waarom dit niet ging,

delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account (lightgirl70@yahoo.com) [-5] - mta120.mail.sp2.yahoo.com

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<lightgirl70@yahoo.com>

groetjes,
rien
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by chillbabe(f): 9:53am On Jul 27, 2009
Why r u badmouting the security guys there not all r bet if it was not because off one that helped me i almost run mad and he didn't ask me a dime. First u need a ctc go with it 2 forneign affairs with 2 paspoort photograh ure own paspoort and that off ure wife. When it is stamped u call or go to the ambassy make an apoinment u have 2 tell them that ure in a hotel so they will attend 2 u the next day. Pls make sure there is no mistake on ure ctc if there is the dutch won't accept it. And it is better if ure wife is there with u. And believe me no other eu ambassy will authenticate 4 u cause i have tried belgium ambassy and they said no. If u have everything in order there will be no problem. Geloof me
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by chillbabe(f): 9:59am On Jul 27, 2009
Dat is raar ok stuur het naar lightgirl70@hotmail.com of bel me op nul acht nul drie zes drie een nul vijf nul negen hoor je gauw
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by 9jaHope(m): 10:40am On Jul 27, 2009
chillbabe:

Why r u badmouting the security guys there not all r bet if it was not because off one that helped me i almost run mad and he didn't ask me a dime. First u need a ctc go with it 2 forneign affairs with 2 paspoort photograh ure own paspoort and that off ure wife. When it is stamped u call or go to the ambassy make an apoinment u have 2 tell them that ure in a hotel so they will attend 2 u the next day. Pls make sure there is no mistake on ure ctc if there is the dutch won't accept it. And it is better if ure wife is there with u. And believe me no other eu ambassy will authenticate 4 u cause i have tried belgium ambassy and they said no. If u have everything in order there will be no problem. Geloof me
OK

chillbabe:

Dat is raar ok stuur het naar lightgirl70@hotmail.com of bel me op nul acht nul drie zes drie een nul vijf nul negen hoor je gauw
can i email u too,to learn dutch ? grin grin
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by chillbabe(f): 10:48am On Jul 27, 2009
Yes u can r u plaining 2 go 2 my country i hope nt cause 9ja is beter the stress is les am staying here
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by FBS: 10:51am On Jul 27, 2009
dutchmanr:

Thanks again!

Finaly it will be the only option what we have to go to Abuja and ask this things personal!

I noticed that the mailadress is not available, and as you know this is one of the reasons we cannot contact them.

I will keep being tough about everything towards our Dutch Consulate, because we know that we are in fact right about everything!

You are right about the word ''certifie'', legalisation has to be done on the Dutch consulate, and what the Nigerian Ministrie do is called certifying or authenticate the documents.

Finaly everything depends on the attitude of the Dutch Embassy, so the ''war'' is going on and I hope we can finaly convince to accept our document what is signed and stamped by the Nig. Ministry!

One more time: Thanks a lot for your help and reply!
God bless,
Rien

Well, glad we could be of help. You are right, the best thing to do will be to go to the MFA and find things out yourself and be smart and humble about it. No acting JJC. Be in control at all times.

The embassy will always try to be stubborn but you have all the necessary documents to prove that you are right.

Good luck.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by couple: 11:24am On Jul 27, 2009
@Fbs
i am just shocked beyond words how u could think i was a fraud simply becos i responded to something i have just been thru.you dont want to know wat we went thru b4 we got ours done at d same dutch embassy.
@poster
chillbabe is my other half n i've asked she put u thru.its a pity d manner in which some peeps are quick 2 label one a fraud even when they know nuttin bout d topic of discuss.
Pls be vigilant when asking for d ctc 2 avoid any typo errors cos we presented 2 dat were rejected for same reasons.
Success jongen!
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by couple: 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2009
Pls save urself any unnecessary cost by cuming 2 abuja without d ctc.dis is exactly wat we went thru flying in n out abj would have been diff.if we had someone to advise us like dis.pls note dat d problem is not with d nigerian buza becos even if u went with d first marriage cert. They will authenticate it but d ned. Embassy will turn it down requesting u go get d ctc,even d peeps at d mfa are suprised at dis cos it's like d dutch embassy in nigeria are d ones making d rules for d mfa.poster u and i know how d ned always try to frustrate peeps with stuffs like dis.d cost of legalizing at d dutch embassy is like ten times wat it costs at d belgium embassy which u'll also find shocking.
Go to the local govt and ask for d ctc make sure nothing is mispelt and den u are good 2 go.we were refused cos of an undotted i.we flew back n forth lag for silly excuses u wont believe it.
Funny someone who could only direct u to d mfa or dutch embassy thinks i am a fraud.too sad how my ppl are quick judge ppl even when they know close 2 nuttin on d issues been discussed.i am only responding here cos d poster is dutch n i happen to have a first hand experience with dem.i wont be posting if it was someone from d u.k or any other country for dat matter cos i wouldnt know how it works.
Fbs please tell me u dont owe me an 'apology'!
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by FBS: 12:48pm On Jul 27, 2009
couple:

@Fbs
i am just shocked beyond words how u could think i was a fraud simply becos i responded to something i have just been thru.you dont want to know wat we went thru b4 we got ours done at d same dutch embassy.
@ Couple, no offense meant but pls do try to see things from another perspective. Besides I didn't call any names.  wink
The thing if you want to help the guy, then state clearly what he needs to do right here on the forum. That way you are helping not only him but every other person that might need the same information.
Besides, you are also exposing  yourself by posting your private e-mail add IMHO.
From my previous posts, you should have deduced that I know what you are talking about.
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by couple: 1:26pm On Jul 27, 2009
@Fbs
got ya bro no offense taken.i've always been a proponent of opendential discussions on foras such as this as others besides d poster would learn from it but i was just 2 lazy to type an epistle like my last post and besides i was going 2 give d poster d details in dutch and it would have been unruly 2 do that here without a follow up translation, hence d email addy.
Applaud u for ur maturity! Wishing u a good day ahead,
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by FBS: 1:41pm On Jul 27, 2009
couple:

@Fbs
got ya bro no offense taken.i've always been a proponent of opendential discussions on foras such as this as others besides d poster would learn from it but i was just 2 lazy to type an epistle like my last post and besides i was going 2 give d poster d details in dutch and it would have been unruly 2 do that here without a follow up translation, hence d email addy.
Applaud u for ur maturity! Wishing u a good day ahead,
@Couple, Glad we are at peace.  grin E go better.  wink cheesy
It is true that embassies can be very annoying. One has to be very tough on them sometimes and were you able to help the guy?
Have a nice day.  smiley
Re: Authentication of Marriage Certificate by ufofex(m): 4:29pm On Dec 15, 2011
Bravo! Couple and FBS!

Never thought I will see a day in NL when people could resolve their differences so maturely.

Kudos to the both of you, kudos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Inside Mobutu's Court / Multipolarism Versus Hegemonism - The Great Power Shift Of The 21st Century / Crying Feast: Can Nigerians Mourn Their Leaders Like The Koreans? (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.