Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:10 AM

Nigeria: In The News Again! - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigeria: In The News Again! (937 Views)

Abacha Loot: Switzerland Returns $723 Million To Nigeria In 10 Years / Fake ‘assistant Editor’ Of The News Arrested In Abeokuta(pics Attached) / Master Scammer, Fred Ajudua Back In The News, As Court Sets Date For Trial Res.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: In The News Again! by MrCrackles(m): 11:50pm On Jul 12, 2009
A sham wedding in Northamptonshire was stopped after the bride, groom and best man were arrested.
The UK Border Agency said the groom, from Portugal, and his bride, from Nigeria, were arrested on suspicion of facilitating a sham marriage.
The Nigerian best man was also arrested just before the couple where due to wed at a church in Great Billing, Northampton, earlier this week.
All three have been bailed by Northamptonshire Police.
A witness at the ceremony, also from Nigeria, was also arrested as he was found to be an illegal entrant to the UK.
He was taken into immigration detention where he will remain until he is removed from the UK in the next few days.
It emerged during questioning that the bride, who is six-and-a-half months pregnant, and groom could not understand each others' languages and communicated by sign language.
The UK Border Agency said enquiries are continuing.
Gail Adams, UK Border Agency regional director, said: "We will not tolerate immigration abuse and will punish those who break the immigration laws.
"Over recent years we have clamped down on sham marriages introducing Certificates of Approval, family permits and encouraged registrars to highlight suspicious cases."
She added that the number of suspected sham marriages fell from more than 3,500 in 2004 to fewer than 400 in 2008.

Culled from - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/northamptonshire/8145871.stm
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by mccloud224(m): 10:31pm On Jul 14, 2009
You know, I'm really sick of all these "NIGERIA IN THE NEWS AGAIN STORIES".Crazy things are uncovered daily.They make the dailies and that's it but when a Nigerian is involved, its news.It's because of this attitude of ours nobody respects us abroad.Every country has it's fair share of shady characters.They deal with it internally but we 9ja people sabi over flog issues.For example, if it was a Nigerian was involved in the Madoff scam scheme, the local media (including NL) would have been flooded with people bad mouthing our country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by debosky(m): 10:33pm On Jul 14, 2009
Na wa o! So people illegally enter the UK just to witness a wedding? grin grin grin grin

See what love of rice and chicken can do to you. undecided cheesy
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by MrCrackles(m): 10:38pm On Jul 14, 2009
debosky:

Na wa o! So people illegally enter the UK just to witness a wedding? grin grin grin grin

See what love of rice and chicken can do to you. undecided cheesy

Nigerians are off the chains brov. . . . . . grin
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by MrCrackles(m): 10:39pm On Jul 14, 2009
mccloud224:

You know, I'm really sick of all these "NIGERIA IN THE NEWS AGAIN STORIES".Crazy things are uncovered daily.They make the dailies and that's it but when a Nigerian is involved, its news.It's because of this attitude of ours nobody respects us abroad.Every country has it's fair share of shady characters.They deal with it internally but we 9ja people sabi over flog issues.For example, if it was a Nigerian was involved in the Madoff scam scheme, the local media (including NL) would have been flooded with people bad mouthing our country.

Chei, this is one patriotic geezer right here. . . . . . . grin cheesy
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by savanaha: 10:43pm On Jul 14, 2009
I wonder if there is a forum somewhere, a forum similar to Nairaland where someone opened a topic called "Portugal: In The News Again!"
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by mccloud224(m): 10:50pm On Jul 14, 2009
@Crackles

This ain't gat nuthin 2 do with patroitism.Every body knows our country is in an all time low but that don't mean we should permit every foreigner out there to look down on us.We have our own problems.So do they.
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 15, 2009
i dont think there is anything wrong with this thread. NL is an informal tool so i like to hear and read about this kind of stories. i doubt there are many NON nigerians/non nigerian background people on here so the info is from nigerians, by nigerians, to nigerians.
if some Nigerian fool tried to fool the UK gov and got caught, i would like to read about it.
if a Nigerian was caught with some 80 something kilos of dope in China, i want to read about it.
if a Nigerian killed his wife and fled the country, i want to read about it JUST LIKE i want to read about it when i browse the www.sunnewsonline.com
nothing wrong with it i hope?!
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by MrCrackles(m): 8:59am On Jul 15, 2009
mccloud224:

@Crackles

This ain't gat nuthin 2 do with patroitism.Every body knows our country is in an all time low but that don't mean we should permit every foreigner out there to look down on us.We have our own problems.So do they.

All time low my arse. . . . .  grin
How did Nigeria find itself in "an all time low" situation?
If we do things to give foreigners the reason to look down on us all the time, then we get it. . . . . . .
We Nigerians should check ourselves first. . . . . .
Some countries in Africa dont get this sort of labelling, and if they do, it is the odd bit. . . .
I might sound critical of Nigeria but at the end of the day, we need to sort ourselves out!
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by Skywalker5(m): 9:05am On Jul 15, 2009
Very Funny. You think Nigeria is number 1 on this list. Go and do your research well.Indias and pakistan are top on this stuff. why must you guys keep ranting anytime 1 Nigerian is caught as if we are cursed or something. Fraud gan, come UK come see white dey scam up and down but when na Nigeria. Everybody eyes dey roll up

mccloud224:

Abi ooo
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by kshow1(m): 5:18pm On Jul 15, 2009
Abeg why are we the most popular African nation if we are not always mentioned on the news.
But sha there are also greater scammers other than nigerians.
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by MrCrackles(m): 5:19pm On Jul 15, 2009
kshow1:

Abeg why are we the most popular African nation if we are not always mentioned on the news.
But sha there are also greater scammers other than nigerians.

Most popular nation in the news for all the wrong reasons. . . . . . grin
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by kshow1(m): 5:47pm On Jul 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

Most popular nation in the news for all the wrong reasons. . . . . . grin
i quite agree with you.
Re: Nigeria: In The News Again! by Recognise: 9:11pm On Jul 15, 2009
MrCrackles:

All time low my arse . . . grin

How did Nigeria find itself in "an all time low" situation?

If we do things to give foreigners the reason to look down on us all the time, then we get it  . . .

We Nigerians should check ourselves first . . .

Some countries in Africa dont get this sort of labelling, and if they do, it is the odd bit . . .

I might sound critical of Nigeria but at the end of the day, we need to sort ourselves out!

@MrCrackles

- MrCrackles

Yes ooo! I've got your back 'Crackles

If you're Naija and you do well, we'll showcase you and celebrate you

In the same vein if you're Naija and you "f[i]cuk[/i]" up, we'll show you up and shame you grin

Two sides of a coin, heads and tails make a legal tender . . .

You grasp, it's as simple as that . . .

If you can't stand the heat, better stay clear of the kitchen

and if you cant handle the press do time, then veer off the crime . . .

(1) (Reply)

Gunmen Kidnap Imo Monarch / Australian, 90, Accused Of despoiling 4 Thai Sisters / Carefree Sporadic Shooting By The Rrs At Oshodi This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.