Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic (32489 Views)

Rice Variants For Diabetic Patients, Weight Watchers And Health Conscious People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by esosa4real(m): 4:51pm On Jul 18, 2009
http://allafrica.com/stories/200902040001.html is this real?, if it is then Naija doctors rock!!!
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by dtwsola(m): 7:07pm On Jul 18, 2009
Are you people really so credulous? That article was written in February, and no international news agency has picked it up. If  the cure for diabetes was truly found, it would be headline news all over the world, not just on allafrica.com. Nigerians claimed to have found the cure to every terminal illness you can find in a textbook. Funny people, sha.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by TOYOSI20(f): 4:48am On Jul 19, 2009
Low sugar, . . . .if possible stay away from sugar or even sugar substitutes completely,

low carb as well, high protein for wound healing and tissue repair, (if need be),

so essentially More meats, eggs, fish, poltry, nuts, beans and so on, . . . .hope this helps, . . . smiley
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by No2Atheism(m): 4:51am On Jul 19, 2009
use honey instead of sugar, by the way please stay away from all forms of artificial sweetners.

Honey is ur best bet if u have a sweet tooth. And off course remember to use the honey with moderation.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Imeobong(m): 5:20pm On Jul 19, 2009
esosa4real:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200902040001.html is this real?, if it is then Naija doctors rock!!!

My brother its real, I am a living witness to this, I was not only cured, but my mum that was living with diabetise 18 months before I was diagnose was also cured,  and we have been eating everything since then till tommorow to the Glory of God. And this Nelson mention in allafrica.com is from the same area with the man that cured mine,  but I do not know if they are realated
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by nagoma(m): 5:33pm On Jul 20, 2009
For Esosa4real the short answer to you is - there is no cure for diabetes.

For the diet question ; The basic requirement for a diabetic is to have a stable blood glucose level with neither "hypos" and no "hypers" and this will avoid the acute complications of diabetes and will delay the long term complications. There is generally no restriction about what a diabetic can eat provided the blood sugar level fluctuations are avoided. Easily absorbable sugars like soft drinks and to some extent starchy liquid meals are avoided because they could be absorbed quickly and so raise the blood sugar to above normal levels and disturb the diabetes control. Fatty foods as in the lady in this question should be minimized to avoid increase in cholestrol which is a factor in vascular disease - a well known complication in diabetes. The lady in question is most probably type 2 diabetic therefore not on binsulin. She can hence be controlled on diet plus or minus tablets.
What she needs is lowe energy diet if she is obese or just a weight maintenance diet if she is not overweight. She can actually eat most foods but a non starch souces of carbohydrates are recommended as source of most of her energy.Reduction of oil intake is difficult to achieve, but I dont see any problem in eating akara if it is fried in G/nut oil or other mono - vegetable oils.  Meat is very good especially lean meat and NOT red meat. Chicken and fish are the best source of protein . they provide the needed energy without undue rise in blood sugar and one is quickly satisfied except of course these foods are relatively expensive. In summary avoid sugar and pure stach, lesss fat but "healthy maintenance diet for non overweight person and weight reducing diet for the overweight. GOd hospital for occasional estimation of blood sugar and other control and compliction parameters like sight, kidney function tests and foot care.
If all these are taken into consideration a diabetic - especially type 2 , can eat most foods others eat- of course in moderation.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by smarttkid(m): 12:29pm On Jul 22, 2009
Getting recipes for someone diabetic would require some level of creativity. You first have to understand the pre-condition that resulted in the disease.

Diabetes is a condition in which the pancreas no longer produces enough insulin or when cells stop responding to the insulin that is produced, so that glucose in the blood cannot be absorbed into the cells of the body. Symptoms include frequent urination, lethargy, excessive thirst, and hunger.
So the issues you need to address in the feeding habit would be to reduce the sugar intake, basically carbohydrates.

In your choice of recipe, creatively combine proteinous food items, vegetable, fruits etc which are very limited. Also, be very careful with the quantity of oil used for the meals.

Aloe vera, unripe plantain, fish, beans, fruits and vegetable should be regular intake for a diabetic person, in addition carry out regular medical check-up to know the sugar level.

When my big brother had the condition,  he was placed on Golden Six, a herbal preparation from a Chinese healthcare company, that greatly improved his condition. Since then, he has been fine. He has been off the restrictive food intake without any side effect on his health. I think I can recommend it to anybody who may have diabetic tendencies as the herbal solution is said to be prophylactic . If you require more info on this, call Raymond to: 08033184658 .
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by dmediator(m): 9:15pm On Jul 24, 2009
Wel aw advic u wash bitter leaf wt scent leaf the first water that comes out f it drink it b/4 ur meal. Bt above al, put Baba G.O.D in ur doings .God luck
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by gbadaniyi(m): 5:03pm On Sep 29, 2010
i would give you a recipe but i will give you a cure and an everlasting one for that matter simply call me on 08022667966 and your mother is on a way to an healthy living bye and stay blessed
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by omoba4real: 6:18pm On Oct 17, 2012
We at sunshine bookseller wish to introduce a book to you that will be of great benefits to your numerous members. It is titled "Speaking of Diabetes and Diet" written by Mehta. You can check details and make your order (Bulk order attracts discount) at http://www.sunshinebookseller.com/_item?item_id=195001
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by ginastone(f): 1:00am On Oct 18, 2012
Here r some menu that can help, my mother-in-law has it too.
Oat meal + moin moin
Brown rice + vegetables(cabbage,carrots,green peas,green pepper,tomatoes,pepper).
U can add prawns if u like not crayfish.
Tetley tea + skimmed milk with wheat bread.
Wheat spagetti (pasta)
Beans
Boiled egg without the yolk.
Unripe plantain with vegetables(green).
Unripe plantain flour ( it looks like amala but lighter).
Garden eggs (make sure she eats it well)
Walnut is very good.
Vegetable salads
Boiled potato with grilled fish.
Black soup is very good ( bitter leaf, scent leaf and little ugwu leaves with crayfish, pepper and locust beans) blend to a smooth paste.
Wash bitter leaf and scent leaf together and let her be drinking d water.
It is advisable that u dnt prepare her meals with salt, but where necessary use very little.

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Honiepie24: 1:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
Hi
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2013
hello everyone,
I went through the thread and what contribution each person posted, but I was outright surprised ( should I) that no one mentioned fruits and vegetables! We recently discovered that my dad is diabetic and we were advised to include fruits and veggies in his meal plan, and this has helped a lot. I know Nigerians generally don't go for these two sources of healthy living, but please we should incorporate them into the meals for our loved ones going through this condition. Its not easy but if you check online it helps with being creative with kind of meals to prepare and especially giving them snacks in between as they now consume smaller portions of carbs!
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by marketresearch: 4:32pm On Jan 14, 2015
for Nigerians looking for Nigerian foods/Ingredients in the US, you can get your ingredients here - http://www.nigerianfoods.com/
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by 9jatatafo(m): 5:55pm On Jun 03, 2015
esosa4real:
pls i am a medical student, rili want to know this, is there now a cure for diabetes, to my best knowledge, there has been no cure, just diet, lifestyle n medicated control measures, so is this new?

There is no cure for diabetes.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by esosa4real(m): 1:16pm On Jun 08, 2015
9jatatafo:

There is no cure for diabetes.

Who follow u argue?

1 Like

Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by 9jatatafo(m): 1:27pm On Jun 08, 2015
esosa4real:

Who follow u argue?

There was no form of argument in my post. So nobody argued with me and I did not argue with anyone, thanks.
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by capestar(m): 2:12pm On Jun 20, 2016
DIABETES HAS A CURE FOR SURE...
FIND OUT ABOUT NIGERIA'S FINEST HERBAL EXTRACT THAT CURES DIABETES, INFECTIONS, CANCERS, INCREASES CD4 COUNT AND GUARANTEES WELLNESS. THIS IS A RESULT OF 8 YEARS OF RESEARCH, DEVELOPED IN AMERICA AND MANUFACTURED IN NIGERIA.
AVAILABLE ONLY ON DEMAND: Call 08167750619 or Email: foodbusinessworld@outlook.com
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by mctons: 8:38pm On Feb 02, 2023
009kk:
@poster
this is what worked for my mum when she was seriously sick of diabetes. the doctor recommended some forever living product for her and believe me within a month she was okay. were is your location
[color=#006600][/color]

Can you explain more about this. I have a patient
Re: Suggested Receipes For A Diabetic by BirtherOfKings(f): 9:46pm On Feb 02, 2023
sherocks:
Hi all

My mom is diabetic and has come to stay with me for a few weeks. I have been racking my brain thinking of a variety of dishes to give her as her diet is now very restrictive.

I would really appreciate any suggestion.

Her typical day consists of
Breakfast - Moimoi, no akara as she is trying to lower her cholesterol
Lunch - Wheat with vegetable soup
Dinner - Brown rice and stew

She is getting fed up and so am I. I feel so bad that I am unable to think of creative things to make for her.
She doesn't eat carbs so that rules a lot of things out of her diet.

Please help !
follow.hrhqueengrace on Instagram for her book and tips on ending diabetes..I bought her timetable..OMG...amazing stuff

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Man Killing Afang Soup In The Kitchen; All Thanks To Calabar Babes. / Star Maggi Vs Knorr Cube Maggi: Which Is Best For Cooking? / Special Fried Rice For New Year Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.