Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion (9243 Views)

Religious Atheism EXPOSED : God Without Religion and Religion Without God / Things Humanity Could Do Better Without Religion / Can Morality Exist Without Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by cloudgoddess(f): 7:42pm On Mar 09, 2016
Image123:

No, the Bible does not promote stonings and rape and hand-chopping. i earlier questioned your ability to read, and i am tempted to question it again. Anyone who has read the Bible knows that there is an Old Testament/Agreement/Covenant, and that there is a New Testament/Agreement/Covenant. Either you were unable to read or the devil is messing with your tenses. Again, i read the Bible everyday. Most of the finest, nicest, loving most gentle and kind relatives you have, friends you know and colleagues you have met are readers of the Bible, many of them ardent and self confessed followers of the Bible. They are not inclined to stone or rape or chop hands. Evidently, the problem is with you and what you read, wake up to reality. My moral reason and that of many good people you have met is rooted and enshrined in the Bible, and in its precepts and commands of love, forgiveness, courteousness, honesty, righteousness, peace and contentment. If you require Bible verses, do not hesitate to ask for them. i know you will not require though, because you know already that i am saying the truth.

It is not about how it appears to me, it is a well known FACT that it is fickle.
Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
Rom 2:15 Which show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another
(BBE)Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles without the law have a natural desire to do the things in the law, they are a law to themselves;
Rom 2:15 Because the work of the law is seen in their hearts, their sense of right and wrong giving witness to it, while their minds are at one time judging them and at another giving them approval;

Evidently, you are not saying anything new or strange. We all have God given conscience and common sense. Although we don't all use them equally, just like our brains or muscles are not equally exerted. That is why for instance, we have national legislations and constitutions, so that there can be some form of standards, enforcement and inspection. What is commonsense and moral to you may not be to the next neighbour, creating chaos as we are not all 'evolved' to the same rate and level. Some people still find it moral to practice polygamy, homosexuality, child marriage etc. Some others have 'evolved', but the written laws and Constitution provide the standard and framework we can all live by. That is the same motive of the Bible. It doesn't negate the fact that we all have a God given system in us all.
So, you have no peak or zenith or destination of morality? That is a most confused state. In other words, you do not know where you are going, you're just going with the flow. Then you have no right to accuse others or dictate to others how they should be moral. Someone that does not know the road or the destination cannot be telling others that they are lost. This is common logic, i expect that you get it as you're the one doing the thinking while we do the believing.

This is a repetition. Try and read the Bible or get a complete one to understand its contents, or employ help like us.
What a blatant attempt at a cop-out. The things that God commanded in the Old Testament did not just disappear from history ("history" ) once the New Testament was written. The truth still stands that your God once promoted rapes, slavery, baby-killings, murder of innocents for the crimes of their ancestors (& plenty of other ill justifications) and various other heinous atrocities that would compete with the doings of today's worst terrorists. Yahweh is a murderous psychopath and his morals are not to be trusted.

And you just dug yourself into a logic trap by admitting that Old Testament Law was nullified once the New Testament came along (which is debatable anyway according to Matthew 5:17: "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose." ). Because that would show that indeed, God's supposed perfect moral standards did change at least once. If it was perfect to begin with then changes would never have needed to be made. God apparently f*cked up the first time around.

Quoting the bible as evidence of truth is meaningless and holds no weight in discussions of this nature. I assumed you would know that. "God given common sense" is inaccurate. "Conscience", or the capacity for compassion and capability for developing a sense of right and wrong (the mental schemas I mentioned earlier), is written into our DNA as homo sapeins. We are herd animals - group functioning is vital to our survival, and so is adaptation to social environments. We NEED moral frameworks for a purpose. That purpose is so that we can live in harmony with our fellow humans and thrive - NOT so some bearded, tyrannical "creator" character in the sky can be pleased with us and not burn us for eternity.

No, morality does not have to have a "zenith" for it to be worthwhile. That is a silly idea. Every progression towards more human peace is valuable. All of these simplistic, black and white goals for human conduct are set up by religion to create a problem and then sell you the "solution". There is NO reason humanity has to be PERFECT. We are entitled to our flaws just like every other living being on this planet. The goal is to work with and improve our flaws, and learn to live and interact in harmony as much as possible as our societies progress. Organized religion does nothing but distract from and hinder that goal.

And don't give me that pretentious crap. I was Christian for most of my life, and finally reading the bible as it is, without rose-colored lenses or deceptive pastors and their "interpretations", is what led to my atheism - as many atheists & agnostics can relate to. Perhaps you should try it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by Image123(m): 10:50pm On Mar 11, 2016
cloudgoddess:

What a blatant attempt at a cop-out. The things that God commanded in the Old Testament did not just disappear from history ("history" ) once the New Testament was written. The truth still stands that your God once promoted rapes, slavery, baby-killings, murder of innocents for the crimes of their ancestors (& plenty of other ill justifications) and various other heinous atrocities that would compete with the doings of today's worst terrorists. Yahweh is a murderous psychopath and his morals are not to be trusted.

Welcome, were you sleeping before or you forgot the lessons that were taught you in primary school about tenses? You've been ranting about the Bible commanding us to rape and kill and whatever else that makes you mad, i had to be blatant to remind you that the Bible doesn't. Again, your family members, your grandma and grandpa, your neighbours, your colleagues in school, some of your teachers, they all read the Bible. Some are even ardent readers and followers. i am certain you do not understand english than them or read better than all of them. They are not inclined to stone or rape or chop hands. Evidently, the problem is with you.

And you just dug yourself into a logic trap by admitting that Old Testament Law was nullified once the New Testament came along (which is debatable anyway according to Matthew 5:17: "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose." ). Because that would show that indeed, God's supposed perfect moral standards did change at least once. If it was perfect to begin with then changes would never have needed to be made. God apparently f*cked up the first time around.

It's unfortunate you tend to forget things easily. There is no trap for me, you are the thinker, right? My work is not hard at all. We are in the New Testament/Agreement, that is a FACT not a TRAP. Get used to it and walk in the times. You 'logically' told us that morality should evolve but it is a trap if something similar is in the Bible? See how you are deceiving yourself and playing double standards?
Heb 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.
Heb 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

See, you are late. You should read the Bible more, so you don't have to "reinvent the wheel" as it were.

Quoting the bible as evidence of truth is meaningless and holds no weight in discussions of this nature. I assumed you would know that. "God given common sense" is inaccurate. "Conscience", or the capacity for compassion and capability for developing a sense of right and wrong (the mental schemas I mentioned earlier), is written into our DNA as homo sapeins. We are herd animals - group functioning is vital to our survival, and so is adaptation to social environments. We NEED moral frameworks for a purpose. That purpose is so that we can live in harmony with our fellow humans and thrive - NOT so some bearded, tyrannical "creator" character in the sky can be pleased with us and not burn us for eternity.

Oh, so we should quote you instead, right? Why is it that the finest men and women, old and young, that you have ever met are readers of the Bible and most even ardent followers of the Bible? Commonsense is "inaccurate" in context simply because we do not all use it. i thought i mentioned that earlier. We all have muscles, commonsense and consciences but we develop them a different rates and paces, and we use them differently. We do have them nonetheless. So, even God is not hoping on your commonsense, the Word of God is surer. Your OPINIONS in the last three lines are noted, hopefully you'll wait to hear mine. cheesy cheesy

No, morality does not have to have a "zenith" for it to be worthwhile. That is a silly idea. Every progression towards more human peace is valuable. All of these simplistic, black and white goals for human conduct are set up by religion to create a problem and then sell you the "solution". There is NO reason humanity has to be PERFECT. We are entitled to our flaws just like every other living being on this planet. The goal is to work with and improve our flaws, and learn to live and interact in harmony as much as possible as our societies progress. Organized religion does nothing but distract from and hinder that goal.

And don't give me that pretentious crap. I was Christian for most of my life, and finally reading the bible as it is, without rose-colored lenses or deceptive pastors and their "interpretations", is what led to my atheism - as many atheists & agnostics can relate to. Perhaps you should try it.

Hehehehehe, you are saying that morality does not have to have a destination. Let's just keep going and flowing. No purpose, no goal, no vision, just lost at sea. Sorry, i've seen my own destination and you should respect it. Someone who has no moral destination should not be castigating and criticising those who have. This is the reasonable and logical thing to do. i thought you should know that as the thinker, not us the believer.
Did someone just mention progression towards more human peace? Now i know you are seeing things. You may make a good prophet in a white garment church, they see things too over there. How do you measure human peace? How do you ascertain that you have more human peace than they did say 500years ago? There is no reason for us to be perfect? But there is reason for us not to rape, kill and chop hands? Or is that perfection? Why do you have a problem with rape, murder and chopping hands when you see no reason for morality to have a standard or focus? there is no reason for us to be perfect, so why can't we be imperfect? Why is your blood pressure increasing over "perceived imperfections" in the Bible? Is the Bible entitled to its flaws? Are christians entitled to their flaws? Or do you just pull out that 'standard' from thin air to apply only to you, and at your whims and caprices?
i do not get/understand you said i should try in the last line. you were not a Christian by the way, i guess you were in the religion of christianity. A christian is one who FOLLOWS CHRIST, who has GIVEN his life to Christ and being born again. Were you?
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by adenitemi: 11:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
tolutweety:

Same shoe.

I have only been in church just once,so far, this year...not because of anything,but a lack of interest in the 'activities' that now happen in the church.

I give this look undecided if you judge me by that though;'cos m way better morally and in all wise,since I stopped.

PS: I remain a Christian.

cc: therealadonye

Brother. Something led to something that led me to stumble on this post. We need to talk. I was at this place once. And while I cannot judge you, the devil's ploy is always to isolate Christians from a living assembly. We can talk more on this later and I'll tell you my story.

Cheers.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by tolutweety(m): 7:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
adenitemi:

Cheers.

Hailingz brother.

How's work ?
Talk over dinner or lunch ?? ....would love to see you again ,after a long while .
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by JackBizzle: 6:30am On Dec 04, 2016
I feel the op
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by orisa37: 7:42am On Dec 04, 2016
You seem to be quarreling with the Word Religion? All you've said is relating your Feelings, Thoughts and Reasonings to your Actions, Interactions and Movements. And you're what you're now, "A Born Again Human". Jesus was like you till The Supreme Spirit showed, "He is The Way, The Truth and Life of Him in Him. Cheer up man. Religion is just a Word, like Church and like You. So don't semanticize the very simple English Word.
Re: 5 Ways My Life Is Better Without Religion by ola2121(m): 3:55am On Mar 10, 2019
TheRealAdonye:
I'm Christian but I believe we could all be a bit more open-minded.
Please share your thoughts on this article:

As seen on TheNakedConvos

[size=1pt]Lalasticlala, oam4j[/size]

It dont matter your religion or believe. Just be good and Godly in all your endeavors

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Solemnity Of Christ The King Sunday / Could Atheism Be Considered The Gay Religion? / Help! This Church Near My House Wont Let Me Sleep.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.