Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,339 members, 7,808,202 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working (4059 Views)

How To Check Odometer Fraud And How It Works In A Vechicle / A Nairalander Finished His Speedometer On Nigerian Road / RESOLVED UPDATE!!!!Faulty Speedometer/odometer In 2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by gateleo(m): 9:52am On Feb 27, 2016
My 1999 Camry LE (4 cylinder automatic) recently started acting up. The speedometer stops registering anything (needle remains at 0mph when car is moving), and the LCD odometer goes blank. The tachometer seems ok. Check engine light comes on. This will last a while and then go back to normal. Sometimes the check engine light will come on by itself without the speedometer and odometer issues and the transmission will act more normal. I took it to Advance Auto Parts for a diagnosis and got a P0500 code (vehicle speed sensor). I replaced the vehicle speed sensor, and my first trip to work with the new sensor was fine. After 3-4 hours in the sun in the parking lot, I started the car, the odometer goes blank again and speedometer non-functioning. I took it to a mechanic who disregarded the code generated by the Advance Auto guys, did his own diagnostics, and said the speedometer cluster was the issue. He re-calibrated the speedometer and reset the check engine light and said it would probably solve the problem for a while. I drove the car home with no problem and left it in the driveway in the sun. Two hours later I went to start the car, and the problem was there again. I think heat may be exacerbating an electrical problem. Does that make any sense? I don't have a whole lot of money to start throwing around at expensive possible solutions that do not turn out to solve the problem, so I would like to see if someone has a suggestion for a solution that makes the most sense. If you have a suggestion or a good idea of what the problem may be and how to fix it, please explain to me in simple terms why you think that way. Thank you
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by mayor2013: 10:45am On Feb 27, 2016
gateleo:
My 1999 Camry LE (4 cylinder automatic) recently started acting up. The speedometer stops registering anything (needle remains at 0mph when car is moving), and the LCD odometer goes blank. The tachometer seems ok. Check engine light comes on. This will last a while and then go back to normal. Sometimes the check engine light will come on by itself without the speedometer and odometer issues and the transmission will act more normal. I took it to Advance Auto Parts for a diagnosis and got a P0500 code (vehicle speed sensor). I replaced the vehicle speed sensor, and my first trip to work with the new sensor was fine. After 3-4 hours in the sun in the parking lot, I started the car, the odometer goes blank again and speedometer non-functioning. I took it to a mechanic who disregarded the code generated by the Advance Auto guys, did his own diagnostics, and said the speedometer cluster was the issue. He re-calibrated the speedometer and reset the check engine light and said it would probably solve the problem for a while. I drove the car home with no problem and left it in the driveway in the sun. Two hours later I went to start the car, and the problem was there again. I think heat may be exacerbating an electrical problem. Does that make any sense? I don't have a whole lot of money to start throwing around at expensive possible solutions that do not turn out to solve the problem, so I would like to see if someone has a suggestion for a solution that makes the most sense. If you have a suggestion or a good idea of what the problem may be and how to fix it, please explain to me in simple terms why you think that way. Thank you

What other lights are illuminated on your instrument cluster? Check the connector of your vehicle speed sensor could be highly corroded or dirts could cause it to have a partial contact. Your instrument cluster could cause that as well. But that should be final phase if after doing the former. If you are in lagos and you need to fix the problem. Free diagnosis for you. 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bbpin is 7BE1C522
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by gateleo(m): 11:16am On Feb 27, 2016
mayor2013:

What other lights are illuminated on your instrument cluster? Check the connector of your vehicle speed sensor could be highly corroded or dirts could cause it to have a partial contact. Your instrument cluster could cause that as well. But that should be final phase if after doing the former. If you are in lagos and you need to fix the problem. Free diagnosis for you. 08165520837 or 08156087872. Bbpin is 7BE1C522

Unfortunately I'm not in Lagos now....but will look into your suggestions above... many thanks bro
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by gateleo(m): 3:29pm On Feb 27, 2016
Please I need more contributions........
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by cocoduck: 3:48pm On Feb 27, 2016
This is an electrical issue so u need a wiring diagram. To get a direction, to to bbbind.com and check the tsb or technical service bulletin and a wiring diagram for ur car also use Google search for ur car. This aii usually a problem of corrosion
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by gateleo(m): 4:35pm On Feb 27, 2016
cocoduck:
This is an electrical issue so u need a wiring diagram. To get a direction, to to bbbind.com and check the tsb or technical service bulletin and a wiring diagram for ur car also use Google search for ur car. This aii usually a problem of corrosion

Okay...will speak with my rewirer....I was thinking towards that direction though...

1 Like

Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by chukel(m): 5:17pm On Feb 27, 2016
Why do I have the feeling this is copy and paste from a foreign website
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Emekasmart(m): 5:22pm On Feb 27, 2016
The same issue am having wit my camry 1999,the speedometer doesn't work in d sun,but once i put on d ac for about 5mins d speedometer comes on. But it works well at night wen d weather is cold. Someone suggested dat i change d whole speedometer board. Pls does anybody hav an idea wat d problem may be and possible solution to it?
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by daveemuobo(m): 3:01am On Feb 28, 2016
chukel:
Why do I have the feeling this is copy and paste from a foreign website

because you're not used to clear,detailed explanations coupled with grammar like tachometer and "Advance auto guys" which seem too much to comprehend..

undecided

OP,i think its most likely an electrical ish which shows up with heat (thermal expansion).good rewire you need there
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by chukel(m): 8:23am On Feb 28, 2016
daveemuobo:

because you're not used to clear,detailed explanations coupled with grammar like tachometer and "Advance auto guys" which seem too much to comprehend..

undecided

OP,i think its most likely an electrical ish which shows up with heat (thermal expansion).good rewire you need there
you sound empty. Sorry
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 28, 2016
chukel:
you sound empty. Sorry

This was uncalled for.
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by gateleo(m): 12:56pm On Feb 28, 2016
daveemuobo:

undecided

Thank you... I will look into it
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by chukel(m): 5:06pm On Feb 28, 2016
I don't know what op wants to achieve by this post. Check this link where he copied it from.
www.carquanda.com/q/1999-camry-speedometer-odometer-not-working-transmission-slipping
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by chukel(m): 5:07pm On Feb 28, 2016
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by chukel(m): 5:12pm On Feb 28, 2016
The above links were posted in 2014 and 2013 respectively. Exact copy and paste. Look at the pattern of typing here and cross-check with other posts which are not copy and paste in other threads by OP. For the one who said I don't comprehend, I wonder if you know where "Advance auto guys" are and how many times u have used "driveway" in your sentences.
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by nissparts(m): 8:02am On Feb 29, 2016
Sigh
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Nobody: 10:20am On Feb 29, 2016
chukel:
Check this too.
www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t17828_ds549663
Or this for those who can't access the above site
www.cargurus.com.hidingnet.com/Cars/Discussion-t17828_ds549663
Hm. In my world we would have called it plagiarism. But since it seems someone here is trying to express his problems by proxy, I'll call it intellectual cloning.
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Bookiemart01(f): 8:08am On Mar 01, 2016
Nissparts, I need your help on this. My Nissan Altma 2003 keeps jerking in traffic. If the AC is on, it's jerks and make noise such that I turn off the AC most times.
The mechanics keep changing plugs all the time. One even changed the AC completely.

Do you know what the issue is? Any suggestion?

nissparts:
Sigh
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by mayor2013: 9:38am On Mar 01, 2016
Bookiemart01:
Nissparts, I need your help on this. My Nissan Altma 2003 keeps jerking in traffic. If the AC is on, it's jerks and make noise such that I turn off the AC most times.
The mechanics keep changing plugs all the time. One even changed the AC completely.

Do you know what the issue is? Any suggestion?

A lot things could make your car jerk. In order for you to nail the culprit its better you run a scan on your car. A fault error would be given to you. If you are in lagos and you need solution. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837, bbpin is 7BE1C522 free diagnosis for you ends 5pm today
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Bookiemart01(f): 10:43am On Mar 01, 2016
I'm not in lagos. I am in PH. Can you recommend anyone in PH ? I'll be glad

mayor2013:

A lot things could make your car jerk. In order for you to nail the culprit its better you run a scan on your car. A fault error would be given to you. If you are in lagos and you need solution. Call 08156087872 or 08165520837, bbpin is 7BE1C522 free diagnosis for you ends 5pm today
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by mayor2013: 10:51am On Mar 01, 2016
Bookiemart01:
I'm not in lagos. I am in PH. Can you recommend anyone in PH ? I'll be glad

Call this number 08033414364 (Muyiwa) tell him from seun in lagos
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by Bookiemart01(f): 11:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Ok

Thank you. I'll call and let you know whatever he says

mayor2013:

Call this number 08033414364 (Muyiwa) tell him from seun in lagos
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by keleto(m): 1:05pm On Dec 18, 2016
gateleo:

Good day,u later solved ur car problems. Am having same issue now.
What was the solutions
Re: Help: Odometer/speedometer Not Working by keleto(m): 12:08pm On Jun 26, 2017
Am having the same issue with my camry tiny light. Pls how did you finally solve it

(1) (Reply)

How To Bleed Bmw E46 Brake Abs Unit With Inpa Software / Help! Auto Transmission Gurus, Pls What Is P0705 / JUST IN: Innoson Vehicles Releases New Set Of Vehicles (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.