Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,151 members, 7,807,501 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:18 PM

Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. (18714 Views)

Google Rewards Teenager $36,000 For Finding Security Loop In Their System / 20k For Grabs / A New Search Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 2:53pm On Feb 29, 2016
It was actually because of this post I decided to do it. Although, I didn't see the new requirements of Author, post views ... etc.
http://service.fincoapps.com/crawler/

DanielTheGeek:

All languages are welcome. If you're a magician and can solve the task with HTML/CSS, go ahead.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Feb 29, 2016
FincoApps:

Hmmm you can do it with HTML without magic http://service.fincoapps.com/crawler/

That's clearly not almost complete, I don't want to discuss methodologies any further.

Good job is this your ready made submission or are there still things you are adding to it?

Keep the good work on.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 6:08pm On Feb 29, 2016
I never start yet o.

@Danielthegeek stackoverflow already has an api, can we use that or just crawl alone?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by ChinenyeN(m): 6:09pm On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
Are you trying to say you aren't competing but rather taking this as an exercise?

Both, I'm just as much in it for the fun (competition) as I am in it to learn and try my hands at something I've not done before.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 29, 2016
jidez007:
I never start yet o.

@Danielthegeek stackoverflow already has an api, can we use that or just crawl alone?

Not allowed, this is like using the Internet while writing WAEC.

Just crawl the sites.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 7:30pm On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Not allowed, this is like using the Internet while writing WAEC.

Just crawl the sites.

Lol, not even building on top of Google search engine?

If not, crawling on demand will take time when searching, unless I deploy bots to already start crawling and indexing at an interval. Then I can only imagine the amount of contents that has already been posted on both sites...
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 29, 2016
jidez007:

If not, crawling on demand will take time when searching, unless I deploy bots to already start crawling and indexing at an interval. Then I can only imagine the amount of contents that has already been posted on both sites...

You can fork similar projects on github, but must not exceed 10-15 lines of code.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:49pm On Feb 29, 2016
jidez007:

You can fork similar projects on github, but must not exceed 10-15 lines of code.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 11:11pm On Feb 29, 2016
I've added the extra details for Nairaland. When is it ending ?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 11:46pm On Feb 29, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

GutHub/Patebin/codepaste.net e,t,c availability - 15pts

Can you please explain this point?
Do you mean I should host the project on github?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 12:19am On Mar 01, 2016
blenyo11:

Can you please explain this point?
Do you mean I should host the project on github?

Yes, if you want the points attached.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by ChinenyeN(m): 8:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Alright. So here is my own implementation. This took longer than I thought it would have, but I'm not too surprised. Until now, I have never had to implement a web crawler of my own, neither have I ever had to build a search engine of sorts. Aside from that, I'd say it's an okay attempt. It certainly isn't the best search engine in the world (search/results algorithm could always be better). Despite that, I certainly learned a lot from this exercise. I am happy to have done it.

Submission: https://github.com/vcnwosu/ChinenyeN-NL-LiveSearch

I currently don't have any place to host it, if people are thinking of trying it out. But if you download it and run it on localhost, then you should be able to see it in action. The github link has the source code also, if anyone is interested in taking look at it.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:29am On Mar 01, 2016
ChinenyeN:
Alright. So here is my own implementation. This took longer than I thought it would have, but I'm not too surprised. Until now, I have never had to implement a web crawler of my own, neither have I ever had to build a search engine of sorts. Aside from that, I'd say it's an okay attempt. It certainly isn't the best search engine in the world (search/results algorithm could always be better). Despite that, I certainly learned a lot from this exercise. I am happy to have done it.

Submission: https://github.com/vcnwosu/ChinenyeN-NL-LiveSearch

I currently don't have any place to host it, if people are thinking of trying it out. But if you download it and run it on localhost, then you should be able to see it in action. The github link has the source code also, if anyone is interested in taking look at it.

A subdomain shall be made available, send me nairalands default mail by accessing my profile and i'ill reply with your cpanel details.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 9:34am On Mar 01, 2016
We are having entries already and a closing date isn't yet fixed.

@dhtml18, and other judges do we agree on a week?

@fincoApps, since you are done, hold on for other entries. Since you finished first..your's will be reviewed first.

Thanks for participating.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by bubbleforth: 9:38am On Mar 01, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

@fincoApps, since you are done, hold on for other entries. Since you finished first..your's will be reviewed first.

Please, I'd like to ask, who are the judges?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 10:41am On Mar 01, 2016
bubbleforth:

Please, I'd like to ask, who are the judges?

People not taking part of the competition can judge. Please always try to read the first two posts before asking questions.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Mar 01, 2016
DanielTheGeek:
I am in agreement.

2 Likes

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by blenyo11(m): 2:34pm On Mar 01, 2016
Seriously busy in the Lab.
Trying my hand on this one.
Men!!! Multithreading no be beans
Its interesting anyway

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 01, 2016
dhtml18:

I am in agreement.

Do we all agree to this? If no one has any objections by 7:00pm today, the deadline will be set for a week's time.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by ChinenyeN(m): 3:58pm On Mar 01, 2016
That means more time to tweak the submission or are all submissions final?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 01, 2016
ChinenyeN:
That means more time to tweak the submission or are all submissions final?

You have more time to tweak, yes, till the end of the competition.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 02, 2016
[size=22pt]The competition officially ends on the 8th of March by 7:00pm CAT[/size]

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by CRAZYMADMAN(m): 11:58am On Mar 02, 2016
make I kukuma test my amateur coding skills. Hope say I go get time do am sha cry
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 5:59pm On Mar 02, 2016
My submission
http://search.djade.net

Cc: Danielthegeek, dhtml18

4 Likes

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2016
jidez007:
My submission

Received.

But feel free to tweak and re-tweak before the end of the competition.

1 Like

Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by FincoApps(m): 8:23pm On Mar 02, 2016
jidez007:
My submission

Hmmm, very nice work mehn shocked... I love the material UI too smiley
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 10:41pm On Mar 02, 2016
FincoApps:

Hmmm, very nice work mehn shocked... I love the material UI too smiley
Thanks bro
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 11:33pm On Mar 02, 2016
jidez007:

Thanks bro

I was impressed too, just don't want to look bias.

I have some notable things to say and corrections to make when the competition is over.

Good Job tho.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by jidez007: 7:39am On Mar 03, 2016
No problem. It was a learning experience for me as well.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 8:37am On Mar 03, 2016
haa, jes seeing this, let me just comb my hair and join...op is the competition still open?
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 03, 2016
sleepingdemon:
haa, jes seeing this, let me just comb my hair and join...op is the competition still open?

Yes it is.
Re: Programming Competition: Search Engine Task. Rewards up for grabs. by sleepingdemon: 11:56am On Mar 03, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Yes it is.
expect my submission latest tomorrow...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Python Really Worth The Buzz And Hype It's Getting ? / Where To Go If You Need Programmers Or Advertise Your Programming Skills / How Much Do Web Developers Earn In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.