Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 AM

Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 (49972 Views)

Whatsapp Will Not Work On These Phones / Whatsapp Not Working On Blackberry, Nokia & Symbian Phones (PHOTO) / Wholesale Prices For Tecno,itel,gionee,infinix,blackberry,and Kimfly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by TechPill: 2:24am On Feb 28, 2016
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i just have to inform you that WhatsApp- A popular messaging app, will be discontinue on Blackberry and Nokia operating system this year 2016 ending to be precised.

Earlier this week Whatsapp celebrated its 7th years anniversary with its 1 Billion Active users, instead to break a bad news on such a good day, the team decided to wait till on Friday when they announced that: the app will soon be discontinued on BlackBerry and Nokia devices running those company's operating systems.

Yes! that include the Blackberry 10 device, Though the new Android-powered Blackberry Priv slider phone might probaly survive this heat because it was built with Android OS.

According to WhatApp Announcement

As we look ahead to our next seven years, we want to focus our efforts on the mobile platforms the vast majority of people use. So, by the end of 2016, we will be ending support for WhatsApp Messenger on the following mobile platforms:

1. BlackBerry, including BlackBerry 10
2. Nokia S40
3. Nokia Symbian S60
4. Android 2.1 and Android 2.2
5. Windows Phone 7.1

While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future

The Nokia S40 discontinuation will deeply affect developing countries like Nigeria because most people still uses old Nokia phone. The like of Nokia asha 200 and 203, Nokia 6100, 6200, Nokia c2 and c3 just to mention a few. I know most of us still love our old nokia phones. WhatsApp suggests "upgrading to a newer Android, iPhone, or Windows Phone" if you want to keep on using the service — if not, you'll need to find another messaging service by the end of the year before the service got discontinued.

So do you think this is necessary? please use the comment box

Source: http://www.techpill.net/2016/02/whatsapp-will-be-discontinued-on.html

CC: lalasticlala, Seun

[img]http://3.bp..com/-6J11Ibbh9FI/VtJDfL-eoEI/AAAAAAAAAqQ/zjCYGfHY7gY/s1600/whatsapp%2Bfor%2Bnokia%2Band%2Bblackberry.jpg[/img]

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Roidatom(m): 2:24am On Feb 28, 2016
Wow!
Facebook's way of controlling the market.
They may soon consider to restrict it to Android phones.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nobody: 2:41am On Feb 28, 2016
It's a very bad move. I think Facebook bought Whatsapp just to kill it, as it was making Facebook obsolete. This Will Make It Stop Growing.

Then Facebook will soon introduce a Whatsapp like feature to try and take its market.

71 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by BALLOSKI: 4:22am On Feb 28, 2016

While these mobile devices have been an important part of our story, they don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future
hacks, you guys didn't take note of this when you were promoting your whatsapp and telling everyone it's 'most devices-compliant'? I don't use Nokia or blackberry, but I trust my Naija people on this to find a way out.

Another messenger might just overtake whatsapp very soon.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nobody: 4:26am On Feb 28, 2016
Sad. The funny part is I still got an update for my S60 phone earlier today.
I pray this rumour's a lie because Whatsapp coupled with long battery life is the only reason I still hold on to my old Symbian device.

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by currency10(m): 6:23am On Feb 28, 2016
Am sorry for does that will find there self in this circumstance. But what i know is that there most be a way out.
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by timilehing(m): 6:38am On Feb 28, 2016
Greater Features coming soon on WhatsApp

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:37am On Feb 28, 2016
Muafrika2:
It's a very bad move. I think Facebook bought Whatsapp just to kill it, as it was making Facebook obsolete. This Will Make It Stop Growing.

Then Facebook will soon introduce a Whatsapp like feature to try and take its market.

Good observation

9 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by 2kurupt(m): 7:40am On Feb 28, 2016
Lets face it, aside blackberry 10 all the other platforms mentioned are dead and can't support top notch features of current whatsapp versions.

I guess they want to unify the feature set of whatsapp across all platforms & letting go of seemingly outdated platforms is one of the ways of achieving that.

9 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nsonaso(m): 7:57am On Feb 28, 2016
charix:
I pray this rumour's a lie because Whatsapp coupled with [s]long battery life is the only reason I still hold on to my old Symbiandevice.[/s]
I hate hearing those words.... Long battery life on Nokia.
Battery life depends on what you do with your phone.. Which Nokia phone haven't I used?
I started with Nokia 3230, N70, N81, N85, N97 32GB, and lastly Nokia 701 Symbian Belle not to talk of Nokia S40 3rd editions like 6300, 6303, Xpress Music series etc... None of those phone's including the Symbian phones battery last longer than Gionee M2, M3 or Infinix hot note.
Those phone's are not even subjected to the task that this listed Android phones are subjected to. for example, my 3G is always ON 24hr, and I still share the network (via hospot) across other of my devices 24hr and some times I got 30% + after a full day use

So Bro, you can find any other reason to keep your Symbian but certainly not because of battery life. Cos me too I keept my Nokia 701 after buying several other phones and dumping them, I still hold onto Nokia 701 (just like I did with my Sony Ericsson K800i) because am so much in love with the phone Nokia 701 till I find the best replacement iPhone 5s

46 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by pendusky(m): 9:16am On Feb 28, 2016
This means the much hype about BB will die grin grin

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nobody: 9:43am On Feb 28, 2016
I don't have feel for other platforms (even tho I'm a Nokia fan) besides BB10. It's a wonderful OS, buh you can't fault Facebook cos blackberry herself already produced an Android phone and they be producing more. They don't even have an idea of when the next bb10 phone will be released tho updates will always be available for existing phones

It's a bad thing for tech when there are just few avaliable platforms working pretty great

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Ludated(m): 9:49am On Feb 28, 2016
Sad!
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by TechPill: 9:53am On Feb 28, 2016
charix:
I pray this rumour's a lie because Whatsapp coupled with long battery life is the only reason I still hold on to my old Symbian device.

Its no rumor, it's boldly announced on their blog, i have put the link in the post above. just check
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by TechPill: 9:53am On Feb 28, 2016
charix:

Its no rumour, it's boldly announced on their blog, i have put the link in the post above.

seun, lalasticlala, mynd44 come and check
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Kezifils(m): 9:59am On Feb 28, 2016
Enough time for all bb lovers to abandon bb os and port to Android or ios
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by BabaAlabi: 10:15am On Feb 28, 2016
I thought this was a spurious post but after researching online, the news is actually true.
I think it is a bad and ludicrous decision to discontinue whatsapp for many low-end devices. Many people in Indonesia, Nigeria and other parts of Asia use blackberry and low-end phones. Many people in various countries cannot afford to upgrade. Discontinuing whatsapp for these devices will drastically reduce the whatsapp userbase and inconvenience existing users in the aforementioned countries. It also proves that Whatsapp's objective to connect people all over the world is nothing but a bloody lie. I love it when people and companies self-sabotage their own success by themselves e.g P-Square and now whatsapp. Goodluck battling a rival company that will emerge to acquire the abandoned users.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Sexytemi(f): 10:15am On Feb 28, 2016
hmmmm, na wa o......

1 Like

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by thamoswonder: 10:27am On Feb 28, 2016
Blackberry don enter one chance. After giving out rights of BBM to all devices, they have been ditched

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by omanifrank(m): 10:28am On Feb 28, 2016
chai
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 28, 2016
I think I know d reason behind it. But not to worry, because a new massaging app for those devices may b on d way. Trust Nokia naa abii Microsoft

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by macino1(m): 10:28am On Feb 28, 2016
Make them stop this joke oh
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Bluezy13(m): 10:28am On Feb 28, 2016
That doesn't stop whatsapp usuage...
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by gist4kidsblog: 10:28am On Feb 28, 2016
3. Nokia Symbian S60 cry cry cry

but why now cry cry

#team symbian fone

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Nobody: 10:29am On Feb 28, 2016
Reloading
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by bettercreature(m): 10:29am On Feb 28, 2016
Muafrika2:

Exactly

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by eleko1: 10:29am On Feb 28, 2016
Nah their own headache be dat. We have od nah
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by priscaoge(f): 10:30am On Feb 28, 2016
Nkea bu ezigbo njo ahia cheesy cheesy cheesy For those using d aforementioned devices, oya make una port to other devices cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by honorbule(m): 10:30am On Feb 28, 2016
Roidatom:
Wow!
[/s]Google's[s] way of controlling the market.
They may soon consider to restrict it to Android phones.

Not Google .....facebook. I hope this guy's are not trying to sell whatsapp to us...what'sapp and whatsapp pro..

4 Likes

Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Aristotle96(m): 10:30am On Feb 28, 2016
No be every body must WhatsApp na make some people rest
Re: Whatsapp Will Be Discontinued On Blackberry And Nokia Operating System By 2016 by Dottore: 10:30am On Feb 28, 2016
Who still uses those, especially BlackBerry. Microsoft has stopped labelling their windows phones Nokia. They ate now Lumia this Lumia that.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tecno Pouvoir 3 Full Specifications And Price / Redmi Note 12 Pro Plus 5G Full Review + Price (photos) / Apple Set To Launch Iphone 14 Next Month (see Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.