Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,233 members, 7,807,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! (9878 Views)

Porsche 911 GT3 RS Is The First Car To Use Corning's Gorilla Glass Windows / Saudi Arabia's First Car Showroom For Women Only Opens In Jeddah(Photos) / My Experience Buying A Car From Lade007 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 7:24pm On Feb 29, 2016
Good Day Guys,

I wish to share my experience buying a USED car with everyone who cares to Read and learn from my GREAT Ordeal grin.

It all began in October 2015 when I sealed the deal with @ Royalty1, https://www.nairaland.com/2563498/sold-toyota-camry-tiny-light.

After several calls for negotiations and agreement, we sealed the deal, I ask about the issues with the ride and behold Big-Bro made me understand its a buy and drive shocked, but the issues are:-

1. Leaking Oil on the Power Steering
2. Fade Off paints on the Bonnet that needs to be resprayed to my taste, (Optional).
3. Engine in Good condition but the Gear box needs some service because most times when u want to Overtake a vehicle ahead, The gear responds late and makes some loud noise.

This where the listed faults by Big-Bro, and as the ride is my choice of first car, I made some underG research about Toyota Camry that price and my colleagues where like Oh-Boi hope say no be SCAM!!!.

I further asked about the total price to fix this defects and Possibly if the ride can be driven to Lagos without issues, He said the ride was recently driven to Ibadan recently, that Lagos shouldn't be a barrier and he contacted his Mechanic for me immediately for the price to fix the Leakage and service the Gearbox.

I payed for the requested amount and Big-Bro makes it clear to me that Paying the money isn't part of our agreed price of the car oooo, incase I came to inspect and I dnt later like the ride. But to me I trust him as he spoke so calm and politely on the phone,I took the RIsk.

On Friday 9th Day of October 2015, I Took a Day Off and decide to visit Ilorin to seal d deal and drive my Toyota Camry straight to the CenterOfExcellence grin. I arrive Ilorin with my friend late around 6PM in the evening. I called Senior Man and we met @ The Point where the vehicle was parked, It has been serviced and I believe the engine should speak well.

I did a Rigorous checks on the Ride and this were my Physile Observations:-

1. Clean Interior though the seats are very wet due to the thorough wash by the CarwashMAn grin and thanks for the pappers Big-Bro.

2. The ride has a First Body, Little/No too much observable Rust...**Like no Rust.

3. The Side Mirror (Driver Side ) Broken and well packaged grin

4. After starting the Engine and I raised it to hear its cool sound exhaust was emitting some smokes continuously before it stopped but we both belived it was as a result of the engine oil used to service the car.

5. Bad Front Tire and My Oga immediately admit to replace the Tire. @Royalty1, Replaced the tire on the Spot. Thanks.

We seal the deal after few minutes Test drive and there was an instant alert on his Phone from **Bank grin grin. It was late, the Pictures we took was very dark so I cant share, but it was a wonderful transaction. (Thanks For the Wiper Sir). We left Ilorin for Ibadan at exactly 10PM. It was a FunFilled Journey as we arrive Ibadan at 2:30am.

Now it all Began...

I left Ibadan for Lagos around 12no0n 0n Saturday 10/10/2016. I decide to refil my Gas. I parked gently alight and make my staright order for a fill up, After buying fuel I cant start the ride again and Guess What the Battery has Parked Up. As a Hot Guy I bought a new one sharparly (14K).

While cruising my ride on Lagos/Ibadan express road after Academy before Soka, I had a huge noise (GBAUUUUUUU) , Oh! I smashed the braked it was a narrow escape. OMG!!! Allihamdulilahi I shouted , but behold the Tire at the Driver side (Front) busted on the high way. I changed to the extra and made a way towards Challenge to replace the busted tire and change my route Via Lagos Abeokuta through Apata Vs Lagos Ibadan.

When I got to Sango Ota, I stated Observing a strange Noise and Behold it was the Power Steering Pump, and before I got to ATan, I was already driving a Trailer grin (Man-Diesel). The steering was as strong as IshanMaalu grin cheesy. I called my niggas instantly cos its already getting late cos of the huge trsffic so I was advice to buy road ATF oil and top up the reservoir. I did that and miraculously my steering was sooo soft. So I drove home safely.

I proceeded to a Mechanic Workshop on Monday and this where the listed faults with the ride:-

1. Defective Steering Rack shocked cry

2. Decide to reservice the Gear Box cos after the long distance Journey it was Observably not changing at all.

3. Defective Engine Seats cryCausing serious Jerks in traffic cry

4. Oil driping from some parts of the engine around the CAM-Shaft (Valves), decide to get a Valve seals.

I called @Royalty1, We fought and it was really a Long Mis-Understanding. I believe he sold a scrap for me but he insist he forgot about the engine seats and he cant ever do that on NAIRALAND He promise to get back to me though but I got nothing.

But Atlast this were the LIst of what I changed in the Ride:-

1. New Gear Box

2. Steering Rack (Changed Twice)

3. Battery @ Ibadan

4. Tires (One in Ibadan and 4 in Lagos)

5. Reservice the Engine.

After all this was Done, The ride came back to life and I was Really enjoying the Motor ooooo. AC is a WOW shocked smiley

I contacted Big-Bro again and he politely accept to help me with my Documents Renewal without demanding for an extra Charges. Senior man. I respect your maturity and that is why I have decided to share it Here on Nairaland.

I hereby wish to advice anybody who want to buy a Used Car to have it in mind that no matter how clean, Buy and Drive etc as proposed by the seller, he/she should have an extra 150k to 200k to fix the Ride to his desired Taste. Don't be too much in Haste, Chat for LOng, Request for the vehicle History, ask of when the posted pictures where taken. Most times buyer post the purchase clean photos and not the immediate status of the car.

In conclusion, I didn't regret buying a Used Car on NL and Insha Allah, am praying for an upgrade soon, so KAKAKIBuy should watch out for me wink.

Below are my Pimped Pictures. Evrybody is already making an Offer but am Not Selling oooooooo

13 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 7:33pm On Feb 29, 2016
Pictures on 10/10/2015 in Ibadan grin grin grin

Lets Revive this Forum Together, Not all Sellers are scammers grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by DankemzI(m): 8:17pm On Feb 29, 2016
Congratulations on your first ride.
But that engine looks dirty undecided

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by njideoby(f): 8:19pm On Feb 29, 2016
Congratulations on your first wife, but the experience was not that sweet.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by ndcide(m): 8:57pm On Feb 29, 2016
so how much did you finally use to put the car in order.

will one have to put nearly half the cost of purchase for repairs? what do you think.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by diportivo: 9:30pm On Feb 29, 2016
Bros,you ahould write for papa ajasco and company

grin grin grin grin grin

U get mind o shocked...buy used car dey carry am travel for middle of d night ....nor ever try am again o!u hear me? angry

Nice ride....after this one na 2010 model of whateva choice of motor o cheesy

14 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Bisjosh(f): 9:50pm On Feb 29, 2016
@ "Ishanmaalu" got be laughing real hard grin cheesy grin

9 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 10:40pm On Feb 29, 2016
DankemzI:
Congratulations on your first ride.
But that engine looks dirty undecided

Thanks bro but its better now after the PIMPING grin

diportivo:
Bros,you ahould write for papa ajasco and company
grin grin grin grin grin
U get mind o shocked...buy used car dey carry am travel for middle of d night ....nor ever try am again o!u hear me? angry
Nice ride....after this one na 2010 model of whateva choice of motor o cheesy

LOLs, I had a Rugged Friend, The Guy get mind die.... Thanks and Amen ooooo,

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 10:42pm On Feb 29, 2016
njideoby:
Congratulations on your first wife, but the experience was not that sweet.

Not soo sweet but it was Funfilled grin grin The seller was Humble and Sincere to the best of my knowledge throughout the transactions

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 10:52pm On Feb 29, 2016
ndcide:
so how much did you finally use to put the car in order.

will one have to put nearly half the cost of purchase for repairs? what do you think.

You don't likely need to use half the cost price to fix the Ride, It depends on your Mechanic from inspection point. Most times mechanics push us to buy a bad car so that they can extort us of our hard earned money (Truth). He will say the ride just need some little issues to fix and at the end of the day the little issues becomes a big issue.

1. Gear Box:- 45k
2. Steering Rack:- 23k (Twice)
3. Front Shocks:- 8k
4. Side Mirror:- 6k
5. Panel Beaters workmanship:- 10k
6. Painting (AutoBase):- 40k
7. Battery:- 14k
8. Engine Seat:- 3k
9. Tyres:- 10k

and other expenses sha.... grin , but now I enjoy the ride like seriously smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by ndcide(m): 11:10pm On Feb 29, 2016
good for you. that's about 200k. if it's worth it then fine. by neighbour got a freelander like that .It took him 6 months plus for the ride to make sense. after the travail, the guy wan sell the car.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by suerex: 12:45am On Mar 01, 2016
nice words

almost like mine..

Bought my first ride a jeep in Ajah, lagos in October (had also called royalty for this same camry too) after serious checks and testing. there was no much fuel so i was adviced not to go far with testing.

left ajah by 7pm for epe running thru ikorodu to avoid traffic.

Indeed i was careless. vehicle registration expired, no spare tire and i did not even bther to do serious engine checks... after i paid the little change i had topped up fuel and hit the road...
i was on top of my speeds dat night as the road was lonely and i had only driven that road once.

issues:
1: noticed that after a long drive like an hour, jeep refused to pick up... Fuel pump
2: i test drove on a smooth road.. shocks were bad so my bumps, potholes were not encouraging.. on top step one pot hole pratically sent me dangling into the bush and out again
3: Battery packed up after 3 days
4: rust underneat the back tire chasis

Not too long heard a clicking sound, i still was managing my life den one simple day the Flywheel broke around 9pm..jeep could not start nor move
CHAI undecided

jeep stayed dre till the fly wheel was dropped and replaced.. took 2 days to do dat...

I have hereby resolved to pack it and fix the Shege life out of it before driving cos i noticed one issue compounds anoda.

On the Pros:

jeep is clean inside out only for some sun burns on the top parts and bonnet
Engine still spits water... and the speed na maga
AC blows like fire,. presently no gas due to the last work done on the fly wheel..
(filled it the first time, it leaked, fixed and fille it again but the mechanic made the gas escape in the course of fixing flywheel

i have been tempted to sell it but never been so crazy about selling with the offers to taste.

Now iav got a new pump and battery,,
shocks to come in soon and tire to follow suite
once fixed will proceed to welder to fix chasis..

to all intending buyers, set aside cash to fix you naija used ride, dey seems to always need fixing

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by LegatusGlaber(m): 1:06am On Mar 01, 2016
Op, you ve got a large heart bro

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by billyG(m): 1:19am On Mar 01, 2016
That camry look so clean to hav such problems,but u fail 2 tell us how much u bought it.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by HumphreyBold(m): 2:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Naija use should be called : use remain

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 3:21am On Mar 01, 2016
@ OP, you are so matured. I love Ur write up, so on point and precise. May God bless you for a bigger one.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 5:00am On Mar 01, 2016
Seems to be the same story for all naija used cars. I bought a used Mercedes C230 recently and tot I have cheated the seller. Immediately I got home the car won't start. They said d battery was bad, replaced that, replaced d power window. In fact I kept replacing thing to the extent that I almost cried. If I had known would have gotten a direct tokumbo but am grateful to God for providing me a first car. Am yet to do the painting. OP where did you do your painting as the painter did a really Good job. Thanks

6 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by aieromon(m): 6:46am On Mar 01, 2016
The diary of a Nigerian used car buyer.

Lovely write up.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by macklef(m): 7:05am On Mar 01, 2016
Oga op if u want to gist us, gist us wella.
Ur hiding d most important thing. How much did u buy the car + the amount spend
That willl determine if its worth it or not.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by chukel(m): 7:31am On Mar 01, 2016
macklef:
he priced it 350k. So he may have bought it between 350 and 400k

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by EddyNumerouno(m): 7:36am On Mar 01, 2016
Buying a Naija used car can be tricky, the suspension, engine seating, brakes, tires are the first places to inspect. Then the hood, if lifted look out for oil stains, as in most cases it points to a leakage somewhere.

Most mechanics will see theses things and refuse to tell you, giving you the 'all clear' as they have seen a future customer.

@op, nice car, enjoy your honeymoon grin

drjoshua2000:
Seems to be the same story for all naija used cars. I bought a used Mercedes C230 recently and tot I have cheated the seller. Immediately I got home the car won't start. They said d battery was bad, replaced that, replaced d power window. In fact I kept replacing thing to the extent that I almost cried. If I had known would have gotten a direct tokumbo but am grateful to God for providing me a first car. Am yet to do the painting. OP where did you do your painting as the painter did a really Good job. Thanks
Used cars from abuja metropolis come with less baggage

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Bookiemart01(f): 7:40am On Mar 01, 2016
Why you wan know?

You wan refund am ni grin

macklef:

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by rydow(m): 7:49am On Mar 01, 2016
Bisjosh:
@ "Ishanmaalu" got be laughing real hard grin cheesy grin

grin grin grin The thing strong die

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by kllinxman(m): 8:02am On Mar 01, 2016
Scared after reading this, cos I wil be sealing a deal by 2moro.. Its a naija used Nissan Pathfinder, what are the possible thing 2 watchout for and pls dnt 4gt to wish me well

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 01, 2016
kllinxman:
Scared after reading this, cos I wil be sealing a deal by 2moro.. Its a naija used Nissan Pathfinder, what are the possible thing 2 watchout for and pls dnt 4gt to wish me well

Chairman check if the electrical part of the car is working well. Mine the silencer was still dropping water so I was excited. When I got home the wiper was bad, the light was initially dim so couldn't drive at night, the battery was bad, the kick had an issue, d key shred into pieces so I could start d car sef then, the window control needed to be changed, d container holding d transmission oil was broken so if u fill the transmission level up it will leak. When I worked on these minor things finish I realized its not just sound engine. Right now I still need cash to put d car d way I want it. Naija I hail thee. And also check d papers of the car before paying. Theres a dude on this forum that almost duped me he's still prowling around. We test drove the car and I really liked it, he then asked me to do a direct transfer to his account which I decline and said i'll come the next day with a mechanic. Next day asked him hope d papers were ready and he said d original papers are missing and no photocopy. He said he went to do an affidavit and a police cover for the car. Brothers I told him I wanted to see the avidavit and police extract na so the guy said he'll call me, it's 3months now he has not called, but he's still advertising d car. Imagine people who would have transferred money to him I excitement.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by macklef(m): 8:42am On Mar 01, 2016
Bookiemart01:
Why you wan know?

You wan refund am ni grin

No na lol, na as im dey happy like say im buy d car 50k + the money im spend
Everything 200k. Thats d only way i can understand his excitement.
Cos i no no y u go buy car change everything including side mirror com dey happy

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by aieromon(m): 10:46am On Mar 01, 2016
drjoshua2000:

Chairman check if the electrical part of the car is working well. Mine the silencer was still dropping water so I was excited. When I got home the wiper was bad, the light was initially dim so couldn't drive at night, the battery was bad, the kick had an issue, d key shred into pieces so I could start d car sef then, the window control needed to be changed, d container holding d transmission oil was broken so if u fill the transmission level up it will leak. When I worked on these minor things finish I realized its not just sound engine. Right now I still need cash to put d car d way I want it.

The cost of refurbishing this vehicle is on the high side. You are practically changing the whole parts.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 11:14am On Mar 01, 2016
aieromon:

The cost of refurbishing this vehicle is on the high side. You are practically changing the whole parts.

Yes my man.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 01, 2016
The cheapest used cars around are those sold off by governmental MDG's. clean and neat for peanuts, although you need to be connected. for as low as 150-300 you'll get cares worth over one mill. missed one like that... waiting for the next opp. I've got the links.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Nobody: 11:29am On Mar 01, 2016
arttysticfyngaz:
The cheapest used cars around are those sold off by governmental MDG's. clean and neat for peanuts, although you need to be connected. for as low as 150-300 you'll get cares worth over one mill. missed one like that... waiting for the next opp. I've got the links.

Your advert pattern is legendary. Anybody that falls for this will so so sink. You've got the links yet you missed one, a gullible person will start contacting u for the so called link. SCAM ALERT!. Eku-hustling

13 Likes

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by darelar(m): 11:49am On Mar 01, 2016
Bought my honda bulldog online and it was in port-harcourt that I went to picked it in 2012. Although it was my fourth car then. I bought it at 360k and never spent a dime on it until when I drove it through the mbiama - Ahoada flood in 2012 to ogun state. I was on my way coming back to bayelsa, I parked before ofosu to buy red oil, when I start the car but didn't start, later got to know that the starting coil is bad and it was fixed less than 5k. I enjoy the car for exactly 1 year, sold it at 300k. Went to cotonou and bought toyota avensis that am using till date since February 14th 2013. It is cool ride that I found difficult to sell for now. Because with half tank of fuel, it will take me to lagos from bayelsa and vice versa.

1 Like

Re: My Experience Buying My First Car (a USED Car) On Nairaland! by Bisjosh(f): 12:52pm On Mar 01, 2016
rydow:

grin grin grin The thing strong die

You too funny abeg grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

»»» Sold!! Toks Hyundai Genesis 015 @ N13.5M Negotiable ««« / ❌❌SOLD SOLD ❌❌2008 Tokunbo Mazda CX-9 Available For Sale In Ibadan 3.1M / Where Is Cooperate Affairs Commission Office In Port Harcourt?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.