Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,141 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:38 AM

JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates (13188 Views)

JAMB Cancels 59,698 Results, 62,140 Candidates To Retake UTME / Oloyede Cancels UTME Mock With Text Message / JAMB Cancels The Selection Of Two Public Universities During 2017 Registration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by cuvox(m): 3:05am On Mar 01, 2016
Lagos —The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, JAMB, yesterday cancelled two centres in the ongoing matriculation examination following complaints of poor facilities provided by the centres’ administrators in Lagos.

Okorie, who is coordinating the Yaba College of Technology’s Computer Based Test (CBT) examination centre, said candidates at the two centres had been relocated to another centre nearby.
She named the affected centres as Huntview Technology Limited, No. 4, Ayanboye St., Anthony village and the New Ocean Comprehensive High School, Megida, Ayobo area, Lagos. She advised candidates in the affected centres, who were yet to sit for their examinations, to report immediately to the alternative centres provided for the examination.
“We have relocated candidates from the Huntview Technology Limited, at no. 4, Ayanboye st. Anthony, Lagos to Jkk building, ETC Nigeria Limited, 229, Ikorodu road, Ilupeju.
“Also, all candidates initially posted to the New Ocean Comprehensive High School, Megida, Ayobo, were relocated to Island Computers College, 99, Meiran road, Otapo Bus-stop, Meiran, Lagos.
“We appeal to all candidates posted to these centres to relocate to the new centres immediately.
“We have stationed officers of the Nigerian Civil Defence Corps at the cancelled centre to direct candidates to the new centres”, she said.
Okorie explained that the generator at New Ocean Comprehensive High School got burnt during the first paper on Feb. 27 and destroyed some computers and cables.
“We managed it for that day but we cannot continue because we do not want any candidate to suffer or miss the examination on account of the incident.
“Many computers are not functioning properly at the Huntview Technology Limited”, she said.
The coordinator explained that prior to the examination, she had held meeting with all the CBT centre administrators in Lagos on Feb. 19, and pleaded with them to put their facilities in proper shape.
She warned that any centre with faulty router would not be able to access the questions from the JAMB server. Okorie noted that the affected centres would not be paid because they breached the agreement.
“The sanction for any centre that failed to meet the requirements is that it will forfeit agreed payment. We pay the centres after the examination”, she further explained.

JAMB: Answers not in the options – Candidates
Meantime, some candidates of the on-going Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination, UTME, said aside the lateness in starting the examination, a bigger challenge was with the English Language paper as answers to some of the questions were not made available.
Speaking to Vanguard, Miss Basirat Jerah, whose examination center was at the Yaba College of Technology, said “the examination scheduled to commerce at 6:30am started by 8:45am as a result of server failure, but the surprising aspect was that some of the questions on English Language were wrong as the answers were not in the options given. Only God knows what would become our fate as we pray JAMB officials would consider this when marking and grading us.”
Collaborating Jerah’s claims is Miss Precious Ogunlele who also wrote the exam at Yaba College of Technology, who said “Questions 11-20 of English Language were incorrect as the answers were not on the options. We only pray and hope this would be taken into consideration so as not to negatively affect our scores.”
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer, JAMB, Dr. Fabian Benjamin, said the portion in question is the comprehension part whereby they have to fill in the gaps. He said “You know these students are in a hurry to finish and most of them don’t take their time to go through the questions. Even some candidates in one of the centers I visited pointed out that to me and I had to explain to them that in comprehension, you have to fill in the gaps. I can assure you that JAMB didn’t make any mistake when setting the questions.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/03/jamb-cancels-centres-relocates-candidates/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by badonkadonk: 10:27am On Mar 01, 2016
Hmmm... At tyms I wonder what's the essence of having jamb do entry exams into the nations institutions of higher learning..

I mean after years of been in vogue.. One would at least expect them to have garnered enough experience to ensure a hitch free entry examination..

Its unfortunate that that's not the case...

*modified*

Wow! I am 1st to comment!, on a thread that hit Fp, on the 1st of March.. With March been the month of me adding another year to my age..

Wat a hat-trick!

First and foremost! I would love to thank lalasticlala and the mods, for making this feat possible..

I would also love to thank every nairalander up in ere.. For all their comments and funny quips, which has endeared me to be a regular on this reknowned forum.

I would also love to thank my future employer for giving me the tym and space to be a nairalander faithful, as well as, push towards the completion of my Msc. in public health program..

I would also love to thank those whose names are too numerous to mention and the guests that visit this forum..

God bless you all abundantly..

Sincerely yours,

Badonkadonk

8 Likes

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by bbkingZ: 10:28am On Mar 01, 2016
why get involved in d CBT without first making available the prerequisites for the exam.... Dats like trying to withdraw wen u don't av an account embarassed

4 Likes

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Mediocrity!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Nobody: 10:28am On Mar 01, 2016
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Edubrazilnwa(m): 10:29am On Mar 01, 2016
Ndi Ara

2 Likes

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by whizcartel(m): 10:30am On Mar 01, 2016
JAMB and their wahala. U knw you are not ready for this yet u went ahead with it. SMH.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by MadCow1: 10:31am On Mar 01, 2016
Ewoooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by bolt000(m): 10:31am On Mar 01, 2016
Ghen ghen!
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by native2(f): 10:32am On Mar 01, 2016
Are we really ready to this in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by kachnov(m): 10:32am On Mar 01, 2016
Well two centers isn't enough reason to condemn the entire CBT process,but they should improve.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Psalm18: 10:32am On Mar 01, 2016
What exactly is wrong with this people

Must young people sacrifice for a multi million naira corporation. If jamb was a private sector organization heads will roll and they may close shop

America with all its technological competence and high speed broad band still has paper and pen version of its SAT exams. We have epileptic power supply, snail speed broadband and low computer literacy and we rush headlong into CBT jamb
This is grossly unfair. Pls keep bombarding both senators and house of rep to carry out their oversight function.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by yrret: 10:33am On Mar 01, 2016
No concrete arrangement atall.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by lanwrex(m): 10:34am On Mar 01, 2016
What is this man saying i wrote my jamb yesterday.. I can say it anywhere .. Question 11-20.. D answers wre not dre.. D jamb representative sed we shouldn't attempt it... I ivn heard of them sending people low result only for dem to print and find out dey got way higher .. Jus lyk dey dd last year
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by mrphysics(m): 10:34am On Mar 01, 2016
This is a local exam, jamb should use PBT.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by daniska3yaro(m): 10:34am On Mar 01, 2016
bbkingZ:
why get involved in d CBT without first making available the prerequisites for the exam.... Dats like trying to withdraw wen u don't av an account embarassed
making is kids to suffer without committing any offenses,nepa sef no d try 4 dem sef.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by joseph1832(m): 10:34am On Mar 01, 2016
Wouldn't it have been more prudent if JAMB did a thorough check of these centres a day before the exam commenced.

2 Likes

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Psalm18: 10:42am On Mar 01, 2016
kachnov:
Well two centers isn't enough reason to condemn the entire CBT process,but they should improve.

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective.
First of all they are more than two centres. Lagos and abuja are in the eye of the media and also have more enlightened parents hence it's easy for jam to be attentive.

The hinterlands and other rural areas have similar issues. Few days ago someone complained from imo state. I will trust the reports of students in those areas who have complained but have no one to fight their case. I bet you same is happening in zamfara. Kogi, plateau but they are told to just suck it up
Jamb gets huge monies from candidates. And they don't pay to be treated poorly. Jamb was not set up to do favour to students. It's not welfare scheme
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Deejavu1(m): 10:42am On Mar 01, 2016
This year jamb is going to be big war for nigerians.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by kachnov(m): 10:45am On Mar 01, 2016
Psalm18:

You are looking at it from the wrong perspective.
First of all they are more than two centres. Lagos and abuja are in the eye of the media and also have more enlightened parents

The hinterlands and other rural areas have similar. I will trust the reports of students in those areas who have complained but have no one to fight their case

You're kinda right,it will be more difficult for those in rural areas thereby making them disadvantaged students with regards to getting admission. But considering ICT advancements I think JAMB's CBT is a laudable thingy.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Psalm18: 10:50am On Mar 01, 2016
kachnov:

You're kinda right,it will be more difficult for those in rural areas thereby making them disadvantaged students with regards to getting admission. But considering ICT advancements I think JAMB's CBT is a laudable thingy.

Ict advancements is still a myth in nigeria. There is progress but not yet enough to call is advancement.
Ict goes with power. The queue are back today; centres with power failure tommorow will need fuel. Is anybody in jamb thinking of that an making arrangements.
The best thing is to do 30 percent CBT and 70 percent pbt for now.
Our young people should not be guinea pigs for testing ict advancements.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by seunlayi(m): 10:52am On Mar 01, 2016
2016 Jamb is a scam, the exam should be canceled asap, the candidates are the future of this nation why making them to suffer what they don't know about. Cbt na by force?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by kachnov(m): 10:54am On Mar 01, 2016
Psalm18:

Ict advancements is still a myth in nigeria. There is progress but not yet enough to call is advancement.
Ict goes with power. The queue are back today; centres with power failure tommorow will need fuel. Is anybody in jamb thinking of that an making arrangements.
The best thing is to do 30 percent CBT and 70 percent pbt for now.
Our young people should not be guinea pigs for testing ict advancements.

True..I have a younger one writing the jamb ..he wrote this morning and I'm yet to get feedback on his experience. We do have a long way to go,but at least the journey has started.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Ajibel(m): 10:59am On Mar 01, 2016
lanwrex:
What is this man saying i wrote my jamb yesterday.. I can say it anywhere .. Question 11-20.. D answers wre not dre.. D jamb representative sed we shouldn't attempt it... I ivn heard of them sending people low result only for dem to print and find out dey got way higher .. Jus lyk dey dd last year

Bro. I was told about that 11-20 by a cousin who wrote. What they did in their center was to refresh their page until the options came out. It happened to him but when his page was refreshed, the options later came out.
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by seunlayi(m): 11:04am On Mar 01, 2016
Candidates are falling woefully due to jamb inadequacies

2 Likes

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by adeboi1991(m): 11:04am On Mar 01, 2016
kachnov:
most centers are like dat
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by seunlayi(m): 11:05am On Mar 01, 2016
kachnov:

True..I have a younger one writing the jamb ..he wrote this morning and I'm yet to get feedback on his experience. We do have a long way to go,but at least the journey has started.
@ the expense of those young chaps?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by seunlayi(m): 11:06am On Mar 01, 2016
adeboi1991:
most centers are like dat
imagine the situation in rural areas?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by kachnov(m): 11:07am On Mar 01, 2016
seunlayi:
@ the expense of those young chaps?

Sadly so...what do you prefer? Its already too late to revert to PBT
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by Stanleywaxy(m): 11:11am On Mar 01, 2016
undecided lipsrsealed Still yet they won't scrap this jamb stuff and let this nation move on ... Even NYSC too , all this de bring kasala for this country ... A very special s/o to anyone sitting for the exam . God's gat ur back fellas
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by favour136: 11:12am On Mar 01, 2016
serious
Re: JAMB Cancels Centres, Relocates Candidates by iambabaG: 11:32am On Mar 01, 2016
Nawa oo.. Which way Nigeria?? Is it that nothing ever works properly in this country?
It is high time people should be held accountable for their actions; they had a whole year to prepare for this and yet hitches still coming up.. Soo sad!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Good News To All Admission Seekers 2016/2017 / Unizik Admission List Out: First List / N1.98bn Scam Rocks University Of Ibadan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.