Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,974 members, 7,806,833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

The World's Ignorant Maxims - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The World's Ignorant Maxims (2392 Views)

Are Trinitarians Ignorant Of What Moses Said? / Bishop Oyedepo Is Ignorant, Manipulative And Crazy At The Same Time / Adeboye: Brain-washing Ignorant Folks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:55pm On Jul 14, 2009
"God helps those who helps themselves."

Some even go as far as claiming that "the Bible says" before the saying, and to know that majority even believe that lie just shows how ignorant the majority can be.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by JeSoul(f): 7:54pm On Jul 14, 2009
One of my biggest is:  "When the praises go up, the blessings come down"

So is God supposed to be bribed with shallow, emotionally drummed up praises in order to send blessings down?  I've never quite understood it.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jul 14, 2009
Another very popular one amongst the pentecostals is "offering time blessing time" grin
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:52pm On Jul 14, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

"God helps those who helps themselves."

Some even go as far as claiming that "the Bible says" before the saying, and to know that majority even believe that lie just shows how ignorant the majority can be.

God actually helps those who cannot help themselves.

"For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." -- Romans 5:6

This Scripture makes nonesense of the ignorant worldly maxim above.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:56pm On Jul 14, 2009
"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"

The answer to this is the chicken, which is against the ignorant worldly maxims that think it is the egg.  See Genesis 1:20 for details.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by No2Atheism(m): 11:04pm On Jul 14, 2009
grin grin grin "flying Joystick perpetual virgins of the 72nd order" grin grin grin

Ask muslims for the meaning.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by No2Atheism(m): 11:05pm On Jul 14, 2009
"Islamic Evangelism"
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by noetic2: 1:05am On Jul 15, 2009
Jagoon:

Another very popular one amongst the pentecostals is "offering time blessing time" grin

how is this ignorance?
I believe that giving is a fundamental principle of christianity.

OLAADEGBU:

God actually helps those who cannot help themselves.

"For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly." -- Romans 5:6

This Scripture makes nonesense of the ignorant worldly maxim above.

truthful and thought provoking.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 8:33am On Jul 15, 2009
noetic2:

how is this ignorance?
I believe that giving is a fundamental principle of christianity.

The giving that is a fundermental part of christianity taught in the bible is giving to the poor and the needy and NOT mandatory church offerings. And that maxim connots that you would be instantly blessed at offering time. we all know this is not the case. as it is only the pastors who specialize in receiving rather than giving that are instantly blessed at offering time.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:47am On Jul 15, 2009
This is the word of wisdom that our Lord Jesus said about giving:

"It is more blessed to give than to receive"

Find out the chapter and verse and then read it in context for better understanding. wink
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jul 15, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

This is the word of wisdom that our Lord Jesus said about giving:

"It is more blessed to give than to receive"

Find out the chapter and verse and then read it in context for better understanding. wink

Acts 20:35
I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.

Thanx for this verse as you can see the highlighted further butresses my point that christian giving is directed at the weak and needy in the bible and not just offerings and tithes that is emphasized
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:44am On Jul 16, 2009
This is one maxim that the world has got wrongly:

"Money is the root of all evil"

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with that, is there any truth to it? Is it in the Bible? undecided
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 8:26am On Jul 16, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

This is one maxim that the world has got wrongly:

"Money is the root of all evil"

Can anyone tell me what is wrong with that, is there any truth to it? Is it in the Bible? undecided

That maxim is actually a distortion of 1 timothy 6: 10 which says:
10 For the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil. And some people, craving money, have wandered from the true faith and pierced themselves with many sorrows.
this scripture was actually directed at preachers [who turn it against the flock today]so they would desist from the love of money as is so rampant these days verse 11 which follows makes this clear: 11 But you, Timothy, are a man of God; so run from all these evil things. Pursue righteousness and a godly life, along with faith, love, perseverance, and gentleness. So in essence it is not money that is the root of all evil but the love of it wink
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:01am On Jul 17, 2009
"All good things must come to an end."

This isn't true for the Christian; Ephesians 2:4-7

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us, Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are savedwink And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus." -- Ephesians 2:4-7
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 17, 2009
The most crazy maxim is the distirtion of malachi 3:10

have you robbed God?

This distortion has led to the greatest scams in human history,if the total amount of money gotten from this scam is computed am sure it would exceed $5 billion.

It is also the most suuccessfyul heresy in christendom since the collapse of arianism.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by huxley(m): 7:58pm On Jul 17, 2009
How about "God Answers Prayers"
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by noetic2: 7:59pm On Jul 17, 2009
huxley:

How about "God Answers Prayers"

how is this ignorance?
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 9:46am On Jul 18, 2009
chukwudi44:

The most crazy maxim is the distirtion of malachi 3:10
have you robbed God?
This distortion has led to the greatest scams in human history,if the total amount of money gotten from this scam is computed am sure it would exceed $5 billion.
It is also the most suuccessfyul heresy in christendom since the collapse of arianism.
You are right o tithing must be the greatest fraud in the history of mankind and if you are to compute how much as been generated from this fraud since the catholics introduced it to christianity at the council of macon in 586AD and when it was even part of the law in most european countries you would discover that the amount involved would actually be closer to 5 trillion dollars than the 5 billion dollars you said earlier. The beauty about this fraud is that you can't be arrested or charged to court[at least here on earth] for commiting it and muguns would continue to fall indefinetly
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:35pm On Jul 21, 2009
"There are only two things in life that are sure -- death and taxes." undecided
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:40pm On Jul 21, 2009
Thank you lord for making me see this day, many have slept and not woken up undecided undecided
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:35am On Jul 22, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

"There are only two things in life that are sure -- death and taxes." undecided

This is not true because a lot of people avoid and evade taxes but unfortunately, none avoid death.  Hebrews 9:27
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 1:37am On Jul 22, 2009
Chrisbenogor:

Thank you lord for making me see this day, many have slept and not woken up undecided undecided

my dear . . . you dont know how much you take for granted until you see others in a worse situation than you. If i were you i'd be grateful to even be able to see with one eye or the gift of breathing at all. cheesy
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Chrisbenogor(m): 2:31am On Jul 22, 2009
davidylan:

my dear . . . you dont know how much you take for granted until you see others in a worse situation than you. If i were you i'd be grateful to even be able to see with one eye or the gift of breathing at all. cheesy
I see people everyday in a worse situation than me I never think its because God loves them less than me, only religious minds would.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2009
"Crime doesn't pay."
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:13pm On Jul 22, 2009
Jagoon:

You are right o tithing must be the greatest fraud in the history of mankind and if you are to compute how much as been generated from this fraud since the catholics introduced it to christianity at the council of macon in 586AD and when it was even part of the law in most european countries you would discover that the amount involved would actually be closer to 5 trillion dollars than the 5 billion dollars you said earlier. The beauty about this fraud is that you can't be arrested or charged to court[at least here on earth] for commiting it and muguns would continue to fall indefinetly

I have a sneeky feeling that this is the hand of Jagoon but the voice of KunleOshob.  wink

It has been said that the wallet is the "final frontier."  It is the final frontier to be conquered, that is, the last thing that comes to God in surrender.  Jesus spoke much about money.  He said that we cannot serve God and mammon (Matt.6:34).  "Mammon" was the common Aramaic word for riches, which is related to a Hebrew word signifying "that which is to be trusted."  In other words, we cannot trust God and money.  Either money is our source of joy, our great love, our sense of security, the supplier of our needs or God is.

When you open your purse or wallet, give generously and regularly to your local church.  A guide to how much you should give can be found in the "tithe" of the OT.  10% of your income.  Whatever amount you give, make sure you give something to the work of God (Malachi 3:8-11).  Give because you want to give, not because you have to give.  Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor.9:6-7), so learn to hold your money with a loose hand.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by Nobody: 9:03am On Jul 23, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

When you open your purse or wallet, give generously and regularly to your local church. A guide to how much you should give can be found in the "tithe" of the OT. 10% of your income. Whatever amount you give, make sure you give something to the work of God (Malachi 3:8-11). Give because you want to give, not because you have to give. Remember, God loves a cheerful giver (2 Cor.9:6-7), so learn to hold your money with a loose hand.

Does the hubris you just stated above justify the twisting of scriptures done in churches today to extort tithes? And who told you the churches are doing God's work? how many of them actually spread the gospel? most of them just sit down in their churches and expect people to bring money every sunday and when they want to spread the gospel they go to prosperous cities and countries were the gospel as already reached ignoring the villages and poor countires that have not received the gospel just becos there is no money there. That apart the bible makes it clear[in matthew 25:30-40] that giving to the poor and the needy is giving to God. It is quite evident that it is the greed of the clergy that makes them twist scripture and emphasize giving to them/ church over true christian giving which is giving to the poor.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:30pm On Jul 23, 2009
Jagoon:

Does the hubris you just stated above justify the twisting of scriptures done in churches today to extort tithes? And who told you the churches are doing God's work? how many of them actually spread the gospel? most of them just sit down in their churches and expect people to bring money every sunday and when they want to spread the gospel they go to prosperous cities and countries were the gospel as already reached ignoring the villages and poor countires that have not received the gospel just becos there is no money there. That apart the bible makes it clear[in matthew 25:30-40] that giving to the poor and the needy is giving to God. It is quite evident that it is the greed of the clergy that makes them twist scripture and emphasize giving to them/ church over true christian giving which is giving to the poor.

The Bible says "Buy the truth and sell it not; also wisdom and instruction and understanding." -- Prov.23:23

It is unfortunate that a lot of Christian ministries ask for money from their audience, often with the promise that God will prosper them if they give.  God knows the intentions of the preachers or pastors, but the unsaved don't, and therefore get easily misled by the practice.  We should be circumspect never to give the wrong impression that our motivation for demanding money is the love of money.

I hope this conversation on tithing ends here as there are many threads for this purpose.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:39pm On Jul 23, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

"Crime doesn't pay."

It does . . . up until Judgment Day, 

"Who will render to every man according to his deeds" (Romans 2:6) lipsrsealed
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:47pm On Jul 23, 2009
"That's impossible!"

"With God, nothing is impossible" (Mark 10:27)
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by ow11(m): 8:56pm On Jul 23, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

This is not true because a lot of people avoid and evade taxes but unfortunately, none avoid death.  Hebrews 9:27

Actually no one avoids taxes except the said person buys absolutely nothing (thus evades VAT), never uses refined petroleum products (fuel duty), flies in an aircraft and does not operate a bank account. So the statement is in fact true  wink
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:16pm On Jul 23, 2009
ow11:

Actually no one avoids taxes except the said person buys absolutely nothing (thus evades VAT), never uses refined petroleum products (fuel duty), flies in an aircraft and does not operate a bank account. So the statement is in fact true wink

Have you ever heard of "tax avoidance"? Not to talk of those who evade tax especially in our obodo land.
Re: The World's Ignorant Maxims by ow11(m): 9:37pm On Jul 23, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

Have you ever heard of "tax avoidance"?  Not to talk of those who evade tax especially in our obodo land.

You can evade PAYE, inheritance, corporate, property and some of the other taxes available but can only avoid taxes paid on goods and services if you don't buy anything or travel (either by car, rail or air). If you do, then you will pay TAX! Since everyone in our modern world will travel or buy goods, then no one can avoid or evade TAX. If you specify the type of tax then the statement can be false but since it just says tax, then the statement is indeed valid!

Tax avoidance doesn't even come into the question when VAT is considered because the only way to avoid it is to avoid purchasing the goods and not simply travelling to another country or renouncing your citizenship.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Not Palm Oil As Anointing Oil In Churches? / pastor Vs Native Doctor in Ghana / The Strong Man Of Religion Will Be Destroyed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.