Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,292 members, 7,780,684 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:28 PM

The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. (126668 Views)

Who Is Paid Most? Army, Navy Or Airforce / Difference Between SSC And DSS In Nigeria Navy And Airforce / The Nigerian Military Ranks – Army, Navy And Airforce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by KillJoy62(m): 9:02am On Jan 09, 2017
Novaworld:
NIGERIAN NAVY

The ranks in the Nigerian Navy is based on two categories: the commissioned officers and the non commissioned officers.

COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
Commissioned officers consist of 12 ranks in the Nigerian Navy and they are

1. Admiral of the Fleet
2. Admiral
3. Vice Admiral
4. Rear Admiral
5. Commodore
6. Captain
7. Commander.
8. Lieutenant Commander
9. Lieutenant
10. Sub-Lieutenant
11. Acting Sub-Lieutenant
12. Midshipman

NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
Non Commissioned officers consists of 7 ranks in the Nigerian Navy and they are :

1. Warrant Chief Petty Officer.
2. Chief Petty Officer.
3. Petty Officer.
4. Leading Rating.
5. Able Rating (Seaman)
6. Ordinary Rating(Seaman)
7. Trainee.

for the record, the army dont use the name warrant officer class 1 nd 2 any more, after staff sergeant, u have warrant officer(wo) den followed by master warrant officer(mwo) and den the army warrant officer(awo). same goes to navy nd airforce.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Ulu45: 9:04am On Jan 09, 2017
If u are to join with a university degree, say engineering, what rank would u placed for a start. NA, NN OR NAF.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Steveinnovates(m): 9:07am On Jan 09, 2017
mccoy47:

Actually what he wrote is the bitter truth.
Military is divided into 2 groups and 4 sub groups.

1) Officers
2) Ratings

Officers are commissioned cadets from NDA while Ratings are recruits from the Army training school.

Ratings hv a ZERO likelihood of Attaining the highest ranking of a Marshall. And yes ratings are expendable. Sad but that is the TRUTH

I hail from a military background so i know what I'm saying, there are commissioned officers and the other ranks (ratings as u would have them in the navy)
Commissioned offices are either from NDA, SSC (short service commission.... These ones are purely trained as combatants even with their university degree) or DSSC(direct short service commission..... Trained as professionals in their field of specialization and also combat) these are people with university degrees or NDA degree....
So also do we have different corps in the army, Navy, airforce. In the Army(which I'm conversant with ) there are combatants(infantry, artillery, signal, Military police, signal) and then there are professionals (medical, finance, engineers and so on and so forth?)
You see these combatants whether general or private soldier, when there's need for deployment there are ranking officers whom are deployed (even though there's a greater number of other ranks) that deployed alike..... Even in the fight against insurgency professionals have also been deployed alike as their services are also needed, like medics and engineers....

For other ranks (UNCOMISSIONED soldiers) attaining the ranks of commissioned officers or attaining the highest ranks (it depends on their age and years in service) there are two ways

1. Executive commissioning (where haven served a number of years the army commissions you)
2. Commissioning ( where you apply and if selected go for the training)

SO SAYING THERE'S ZERO CHANCE OF BECOMING OFFICERS IS NOT TRUE....

BE YOU COMMISSIONED OFFICER OR UNCOMMISSIONED SOLDIER EVERYONE DOES THE DIRTY JOB......

3 Likes

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by gentle12: 9:22am On Jan 09, 2017
Good one
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by babaireti(m): 9:25am On Jan 09, 2017
Interesting one
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by fratermathy(m): 9:26am On Jan 09, 2017
mccoy47:

No they are different.
NDA is actually an academy with numerous courses been taught! While the oda is mostly basic military training. smiley

What about degree holders that enter the military via short service as 2nd Lieutenant? Are they commissioned too? Any bias towards them as against NDA graduates?
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by NAVYdogg: 9:29am On Jan 09, 2017
Novaworld:
NIGERIAN NAVY

The ranks in the Nigerian Navy is based on two categories: the commissioned officers and the non commissioned officers.

COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
Commissioned officers consist of 12 ranks in the Nigerian Navy and they are

1. Admiral of the Fleet
2. Admiral
3. Vice Admiral
4. Rear Admiral
5. Commodore
6. Captain
7. Commander.
8. Lieutenant Commander
9. Lieutenant
10. Sub-Lieutenant
11. Acting Sub-Lieutenant
12. Midshipman

NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS
Non Commissioned officers consists of 7 ranks in the Nigerian Navy and they are :

1. Warrant Chief Petty Officer.
2. Chief Petty Officer.
3. Petty Officer.
4. Leading Rating.
5. Able Rating (Seaman)
6. Ordinary Rating(Seaman)
7. Trainee.

NON COMMISSIONED OFFICERS>>

>navy warrant officer

>master warrant officer

>warrant officer

>petty officer

>leading seaman

>able seaman

>seaman

>ordinary seaman

>trainee

2 Likes

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by claremont(m): 9:44am On Jan 09, 2017
The Nigerian Army structure is based on the British Army structure due to them being our colonial masters. The word "Commision" originally means someone who has sworn to abide by the Queen's Commision, this person has to undertake training to be an officer, commisioning applies only to those who are undergoing and have completed the basic officer course.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by mccoy47(m): 9:50am On Jan 09, 2017
fratermathy:

What about degree holders that enter the military via short service as 2nd Lieutenant? Are they commissioned too? Any bias towards them as against NDA graduates?
Dey go for an crash course at NDA. Formerly it was 6months but now 9months.
And yes there is a little bias against dem. The Cadets (those who spent 4yrs at NDA) get promoted quicker and are sort of respected more.
Also chances of a non cadet exceeding a level 2 & above of senior officers (navy Commodore or it's equivalent in army or airforce) is slim.

3 Likes

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by mccoy47(m): 10:06am On Jan 09, 2017
Steveinnovates:

I hail from a military background so i know what I'm saying, there are commissioned officers and the other ranks (ratings as u would have them in the navy)
Commissioned offices are either from NDA, SSC (short service commission.... These ones are purely trained as combatants even with their university degree) or DSSC(direct short service commission..... Trained as professionals in their field of specialization and also combat) these are people with university degrees or NDA degree....
So also do we have different corps in the army, Navy, airforce. In the Army(which I'm conversant with ) there are combatants(infantry, artillery, signal, Military police, signal) and then there are professionals (medical, finance, engineers and so on and so forth?)
You see these combatants whether general or private soldier, when there's need for deployment there are ranking officers whom are deployed (even though there's a greater number of other ranks) that deployed alike..... Even in the fight against insurgency professionals have also been deployed alike as their services are also needed, like medics and engineers....

For other ranks (UNCOMISSIONED soldiers) attaining the ranks of commissioned officers or attaining the highest ranks (it depends on their age and years in service) there are two ways

1. Executive commissioning (where haven served a number of years the army commissions you)

BE YOU COMMISSIONED OFFICER OR UNCOMMISSIONED SOLDIER EVERYONE DOES THE DIRTY JOB......

If u had noticed in my post. I carefully avoided the issue on who does the really dirty post. Yes u might argue on commissioned officers doing the dirty jobs too. But went someone issues orders for subordinates to follow, do u really call dat a dirty job? undecided

Now at the bolded. I never said the chances of a rating becoming a commissioned officer is zero. I said the chances of rating attaining the highest rank ( field marshal or it's equivalent) is zero.
After spending years in the service as a rating lets say 20yrs. If you are finally commissioned to a sub lieutenant, what are ur chances of going through the ranks of an officer to become even a commodore

For your 2nd scenario, a rating picking up an NDA form to become an officer is not considered a rating anymore as his file in the Military is not a continuation.

2 Likes

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by modaink333: 10:56am On Jan 09, 2017
@ op, how many years will one study at the NDA? And what age do they recruit students into the school?
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Piroll(m): 11:49am On Jan 09, 2017
please after the university degree is it possible for one to cross to NDA stufff
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Kakamorufu(m): 12:08pm On Jan 09, 2017
Ulu45:
If u are to join with a university degree, say engineering, what rank would u placed for a start. NA, NN OR NAF.
second lieutenant in d army

1 Like

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by tenderlaw(m): 12:13pm On Jan 09, 2017
frank043:

Where on earth did you get this weird info from?!!!...No rank is outdated man!

Too bad.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by tenderlaw(m): 12:14pm On Jan 09, 2017
frank043:

Where on earth did you get this weird info from?!!!...No rank is outdated man!

Look at the post by NAVYdogg above. If after reading that you are still unconvinced, I leave you to your fate.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Ulu45: 12:46pm On Jan 09, 2017
Kakamorufu:
second lieutenant in d army

And u can rise up to the highest possible rank if u don't die?
Cos my cousin is really putting stuffs in my head concerning a career in military.
Like I could still practise engineering while being a military personnel.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Hearme(m): 1:01pm On Jan 09, 2017
For Army. there is no longer warrant officer 2 and 1.
it is Warrant Officer replacing WO2
Master warrant officer replacing the old term WO1. lastly you totally omitted
Army warrant Officer
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Maghan37: 2:16pm On Jan 09, 2017
Thanks Brother.Please do not mind those haters who know nothing but criticise u unnecessarily because ur post is very useful.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Kakamorufu(m): 2:31pm On Jan 09, 2017
Ulu45:

And u can rise up to the highest possible rank if u don't die?
Cos my cousin is really putting stuffs in my head concerning a career in military.
Like I could still practise engineering while being a military personnel.
you can practice you proffesion in the military. Do u know that there are lawyers in army too
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by jiorhemen(m): 4:44pm On Jan 09, 2017
queencalipso:
Where is RSM(regimental sergeant major) and CSM( company sergeant major) under non commissioned army.

RSM and CSM are not ranks but appointments. A lot of people confuse appointments with ranks.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by queencalipso(f): 4:49pm On Jan 09, 2017
jiorhemen:

RSM and CSM are not ranks but appointments. A lot of people confuse appointments with ranks.

Aiit, thanks.
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Unickboy: 8:55pm On Jan 09, 2017
Please what profession repairs aircraft for nigeria airforce and can can it be studied in NDA
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Chaliblinka: 9:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
You necessarily don't have to preach, all it requires ​na​ "Soft_Work"​
U can join the fastest moving ultimate cycler train via this link...
https:///FDo2N4Jq2Lm3jsFtb2qyXw

If you are ready join dis group....in 7days u get ur 50k with just 12500
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Chaliblinka: 9:06pm On Jan 09, 2017
You necessarily don't have to preach, all it requires ​na​ "Soft_Work"​
U can join the fastest moving ultimate cycler train via this link...

https:///FDo2N4Jq2Lm3jsFtb2qyXw

If you are ready join dis group....in 7days u get ur 50k
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Samgreguc(m): 1:37pm On Jan 11, 2017
DirtyGold:
commissioned as Pilot Officer and can attain the highest rank possible Those are appointments meant for chosen people on certain rankslol Do you have an "army" that can actually do anyhing about it? In simple terms, commissioned officers are the senior officers jus like we have SSS and JSS in secondary school wink

What's tha business?
so u mean one starts from uncomissioned up yo commissioned?
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by DirtyGold: 4:31pm On Jan 11, 2017
Samgreguc:

so u mean one starts from uncomissioned up yo commissioned?
As a degree holder, you start as a commissioned officer with a lieutenant rank (**) through direct short service (DSSC).
If you don't have a degree, you start as un-commisionned (other ranks... foot soldier).
It is 100% advisable to join the military as a commissioned officer!
Alternatively, if you are still young enough, join through NDA with your WAEC and graduate as a commissioned officer with second lieutenant (*).

I hope you are better informed now?

2 Likes

Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Samgreguc(m): 6:56am On Jan 12, 2017
DirtyGold:

As a degree holder, you start as a commissioned officer with a lieutenant rank (**) through short service (DSSC).
If you don't have a degree, you start as un-commisionned. It is 100% advisable to join the military as an officer!
Alternatively, if you are still young enough, join through NDA with your WAEC and graduate as a commissioned officer with second lieutenant (*).

I hope you are better informed now?
thanks but if u enter tru short service as a graduate can u get to d highest rank?
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by DirtyGold: 7:10am On Jan 12, 2017
Samgreguc:

thanks but if u enter tru short service as a graduate can u get to d highest rank?
Depends
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by ehissi(m): 8:00pm On Feb 12, 2017
Steveinnovates:

Hmmmmmmm!!

Military Police, Signal are combatant; Engineers Professional?

In which armed forces? This is a casual assumption Oooooh!

Have you seen NDA admission list recently??

The year is 2017 Oooh, not 1987!! undecided
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by Christophorus(m): 1:41pm On Apr 05, 2017
ok
Re: The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. by zinachidi(m): 10:40pm On Apr 13, 2017
nmreports:

Commissioned officer: A stage where you are an officer or oga as the case may be.

Non commissioned: Foot soldiers who usually do the dirty work.
buh can a non commisioned officer become a commisioned officer at all, or just because u don't have a Bsc u are stuck in the non- commission rank. pls answer.. I'm asking cos i have a cousin who wants to join the navy, buh his education stopped at secondary school level. No university education.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners / About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.