Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,029 members, 7,807,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:56 AM

Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... (25090 Views)

Where Can I Get A Pure Slant Or Straight Back Gsd Between 30-50k? / Slant Back Vs Straight Back Gsd / It's So Difficult To Get a Pedigree Straight Back GSD In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 10:26am On Mar 03, 2016
I know this topic has already been over flogged and debated on a lot of forums(even here on NL) but I really need to know what the hype over Slant back GSDs is all about. Been really troubled about the decline of GSD dogs being a Huge GSD fanatic, all my Gsd research finally led me to Alsace royale kennels, spoke with a rep who finally put all my doubts to rest. When i asked her why they didn't keep slb(slantbacks) she said they only keep original pedigree German Shepherds not american show dogs, though am clear about both variations I just want to know what's the huge fuss being made about slantbacks? Had a contact who told me my GsD was impure just because he wasn't a slantback. pls I need to know
CC: Prodegee,Seun,Bobbysaxy, and all Gsd experts

3 Likes

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by barcaboi(m): 9:14am On Mar 05, 2016
straightbacks are the original breeds. Von Stephanix who is the father of GSD raised straightbacks....I can only give 2 reasons for the slant craze...
u re definitely sure u got an imported dog or from an imporrted lineage. ..pple like imported things
2. gsd has bn bastardised and seeing a full pedigree straight back in Nigeria is rare, tho not scarce

4 Likes

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 9:35pm On Mar 05, 2016
barcaboi:
straightbacks are the original breeds. Von Stephanix who is the father of GSD raised straightbacks....I can only give 2 reasons for the slant craze...
u re definitely sure u got an imported dog or from an imporrted lineage. ..pple like imported things
2. gsd has bn bastardised and seeing a full pedigree straight back in Nigeria is rare, tho not scarce

am telling you...as long as its slant back they don't care if you import or not,BTW I know a guy with an amazing imported straight back here in Nigeria n the dog is much better than any slant back I've seen

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by barcaboi(m): 10:15pm On Mar 05, 2016
speedfreak:

am telling you...as long as its slant back they don't care if you import or not,BTW I know a guy with an amazing imported straight back here in Nigeria n the dog is much better than any slant back I've seen
the market dictates tho
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by lacicrips(m): 9:35am On Mar 06, 2016
speedfreak:

Can you share pictures?

People prefer slants to straight backs in Nigeria cos its easier to find a pedigree of the former like someone stated earlier.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 11:19am On Mar 07, 2016
lacicrips:

Can you share pictures?

People prefer slants to straight backs in Nigeria cos its easier to find a pedigree of the former like someone stated earlier.
don't have any o,visited a friend and saw the dog with his neighbor,said the guy imported it just for security as "thief no wan gree them rest"
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by younghartz(m): 11:58am On Mar 10, 2016
i will upload a straight back gsd tonyt when am writin her diary and you will be amaze......her name is nicky.

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 12:16pm On Mar 10, 2016
younghartz:
i will upload a straight back gsd tonyt when am writin her diary and you will be amaze......her name is nicky.
can't wait
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by younghartz(m): 9:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
speedfreak:
can't wait

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 9:32pm On Mar 10, 2016
she's looking real good,any pics of ha standing?
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by younghartz(m): 9:51pm On Mar 10, 2016
yeah!

1 Share

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by younghartz(m): 10:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
speedfreak:
she's looking real good,any pics of ha standing?

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by TheRealGEJ: 6:50pm On Mar 11, 2016
younghartz:
yeah!

This is what I call a GSD. The type I've been looking for all this while. Anyone with something like this to sell?
Pm me
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by RICADE(m): 9:35am On Mar 12, 2016
i saw this online and decided to share to show you how gsds are being bastardised

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by RICADE(m): 9:38am On Mar 12, 2016
no matter what i will always love the straight back

1 Like

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 11:24am On Mar 12, 2016
younghartz:
yeah!
That's how a Gsd is supposed to look not like all those "cockroaches" that people are calling GSDs...nice dog bro atleast there are people who appreciate the original German Shepherd dog

1 Like

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by showflow: 1:18pm On May 26, 2017
Hi Guys,

Pls I'm looking for dog trainers in Abuja to help in train my almost 7 months old female GSD, she is super active and becoming too aggressive specially for my kids and wife to handle when she's hearing stranger movement and other kids playing in the compound, she react as if she would brake her cage though she play very well with my kids and wife at time scared them with her super active playing. I'm worry because my wife could no longer hold her chain to control her as strong and powerful she is now at puppy imaging when she is 1yr plus.

Any advise on how to reduce this behaviour is highly welcome. I don't want to loose her or sell off.

I'll post her lovely pics shortly

Thanks in Advance

1 Share

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by showflow: 1:29pm On May 26, 2017
Jasmie 7 months old female GSD pics

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by showflow: 1:33pm On May 26, 2017
Jasmie at 12 weeks old female GSD

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by barcaboi(m): 5:26pm On May 28, 2017
showflow:
Jasmie at 12 weeks old female GSD
shd I tutor u on what 2 do?
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by showflow: 2:50pm On May 29, 2017
barcaboi:

shd I tutor u on what 2 do?

Yes pls. I'll be much grateful.
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by olisafincy(m): 10:18am On May 30, 2017
DDR GSD

1 Like

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by arixona: 7:07pm On May 30, 2017
lovely dog
RICADE:
i saw this online and decided to share to show you how gsds are being bastardised
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by speedfreak(m): 7:35pm On May 30, 2017
arixona:
lovely dog
Truly​ a lovely dog...the snout is just 2 short

1 Like

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by zobor: 5:05pm On Jun 10, 2019
speedfreak:

yeah you are right but finding them is another issue cause the slant breeders have taken over the market.
if you find a reputable breeder pls do share.
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by rumenase(m): 6:37pm On Jun 11, 2019
zobor:

yeah you are right but finding them is another issue cause the slant breeders have taken over the market.
there are good straight backs in Nigeria you have not seen does not mean they don't exist it just means you're not exposed.
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by zobor: 6:10pm On Jun 12, 2019
rumenase:
there are good straight backs in Nigeria you have not seen does not mean they don't exist it just means you're not exposed.
not exposed? i disagree with you on that, on the other hand if you have simply share!!
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by rumenase(m): 7:47pm On Jun 15, 2019
zobor:

not exposed? i disagree with you on that, on the other hand if you have simply share!!
since you did great there's no need to prove you wrong.
Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by bigt2(m): 9:50pm On Nov 17, 2019
Here you go... M
zobor:

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by phunkypalace(m): 6:37am On Nov 18, 2019
Hi there, my name is Timmy and I own IGNITE German Shepherds. I saw your thread and immediately I saw the title, I knew you've been misled by someone and reading further comments...nobody has the solution to your problem but they are rather compounding it. Firstly I would have love if you can read my latest post and gain some useful knowledge about this special breed of dog called the German Shepherd Dog.

To start with, please desist from the use of the words slant back and straight back. I tell people there is nothing like that as the use of these words is always used by ignorant people who try and convince people into thinking they know some things about this breed. It's quite unfortunate even these so called breeders act like those are the right worss to use. Once anyone screams these two words wherever I am, I come to the utmost conclusion that such a person has been misled and is ignorant. The right words to use for the type of a German Shepherd is known as the working lines and the show lines. Permit me to use the word type and the right word to use is lines.

Now let me address the problem, the general misconception  in Nigeria is the fact that GSD's with a sloppy croup are the showlines while the ones with straight croup are the working lines....this are the lies of the old but when people like me started seeking more knowledge, we got to know we've been fed with lies. Only the pedigree of a German Shepherd will tell you the line he/she belongs to, you do not just look at a dog and claim the dog is this or that. Even licensed and recognized judges don't judge these dogs at  shows that way. That is one of the reason I always educate people on making sure you invest in a GSD that you know it's pedigree. It is only that way you can be rest assured of what you are getting into.

Some comments on here made me laugh hard, and it got to an extent that I shook my head in disappointment. For example one of the comments is quoted as saying a showline GSD is a cockroach. That is an advance and deep ignorance and I wouldn't blame him because if he were to be familiar with the breed and he has taken his time to study the breed standard of the GSD from either the SV, WUSV and FCI he wouldn't have spilled out such.

Truth be told whether the dog is a working line or a show line, both are still German Shepherd Dogs. They are just bred for different purposes.

Showline GSD's are family-friendly and physically appealing version of the breed that are mainly bred for looks.

Working lines are the version of the breed that is fiercely loyal and unequalled in private security, police work, and even high-level military use. As you can see the showlines are bred for a purpose and the working lines are also bred for a purpose as well. Someone said the original GSDs are the ones Max Von Stephanitz bred while he was alive, but I'd like to know if this person is using the same phone that existed when he/she was given birth to as we speak. Max Von Stephanitz asked the GSD breeders to make sure they improve on what he created and make sure his dogs remains a working dog and I can categorically tell you that charge still exists as all GSDs irrespective of the lines are all working dogs. You want to ask me how that is possible?....do a research about the Schutzhund shows, the WUSV shows and the Sieger shows and tell me what you see.

Basically there is what we call the breed standard of the GSD in which judges use to judge a GSD in a situation where such GSD does not have a known pedigree or the pedigree is lost in the winds. If some of us can try and lay our hands on it and also have a foreknowledge of the anatomy of the GSD, we will definitely know the reason why some breeders will point at your so called straight backs as a fake GSD. I have seen so many dogs on here being paraded as GSDs but truth be told they are all rubbish and mutts. An example is the picture posted on this thread, that dog has a lot of disqualifying faults and the obvious ones are the head formation and the height. For God's sake GSDs are not short and they shouldn't have long snout but if you bring that to my Kennel and I tell you the dog is not a GSD, you cry wolf and will not ask me why I said that. You want to see a working line GSD? I have attached a picture, just take a look at it, compare it to what was posted on here and change that mentality of yours about breeders rejecting your dog because it's not a showline GSD.

Basically there are five lines of the GSD and they are:

West German Showlines

American/Canadian Showlines

West German Working lines

DDR/East German Working lines

Czech Working lines.

If you say you have a GSD, he or she must belong to any of these lines, and you must be able to prove that especially with a pedigree or any form of document from a recognized breed club.

What is being paraded on here are majorly mix bred dogs, it's okay if you own them as a pet and for security purpose but once you claim you want to breed with it, then you are adding to the problems that has being created already and mutts will continue to exist.

Sometimes last year, a nairalander created a thread for a dog he bought and called it a GSD. My eyes seeing the innocent puppy at 8weeks or thereabouts knew this was a mutt and this guy has been misled as well as cheated on. I told him and he came for my head..he even had some cohorts and the one I can remember with a name is Vincentjk. They threw all sorts of rubbish at me but because I knew what I was saying I didn't back down. Months later, the dog grew and he himself came out to say his dog has a mix or a touch of husky somewhere. He saw that about 5 months later what I saw in the dog at 8 weeks when he just bought the dog. Funny right?....I'm sure that thread is dead now. What pained me most as at that time is how he has misled so many people into thinking his dog is a GSD and that was why I came hard on him.

Truth be told the German Shepherd Dog has been bastardized and some breeders also think the real deal are the showlines but they are also wrong, there are good working lines out there with a known and authenticated pedigree to show they are what we say they are. But these dogs are very few in the country, if you want a working line dog that is the real deal, you might have to break the bank for them. Working dogs are not out there for people to breed and sell to private homes, but they are always bred for the sole purpose of working hence the reason why they are scarce and expensive. Only few breeders breed the true working line GSD and the market demand also play an important role on this too.

I'll stop here, if you have questions, throw them and I'll find time to respond or you can easily reach me on Whatsapp via 08062682135.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by Eveezy(m): 12:37pm On Nov 18, 2019
phunkypalace:
Hi there, my name is Timmy and I own IGNITE German Shepherds. I saw your thread and immediately I saw the title, I knew you've been misled by someone and reading further comments...nobody has the solution to your problem but they are rather compounding it. Firstly I would have love if you can read my latest post and gain some useful knowledge about this special breed of dog called the German Shepherd Dog.

To start with, please desist from the use of the words slant back and straight back. I tell people there is nothing like that as the use of these words is always used by ignorant people who try and convince people into thinking they know some things about this breed. It's quite unfortunate even these so called breeders act like those are the right worss to use. Once anyone screams these two words wherever I am, I come to the utmost conclusion that such a person has been misled and is ignorant. The right words to use for the type of a German Shepherd is known as the working lines and the show lines. Permit me to use the word type and the right word to use is lines.

Now let me address the problem, the general misconception  in Nigeria is the fact that GSD's with a sloppy croup are the showlines while the ones with straight croup are the working lines....this are the lies of the old but when people like me started seeking more knowledge, we got to know we've been fed with lies. Only the pedigree of a German Shepherd will tell you the line he/she belongs to, you do not just look at a dog and claim the dog is this or that. Even licensed and recognized judges don't judge these dogs at  shows that way. That is one of the reason I always educate people on making sure you invest in a GSD that you know it's pedigree. It is only that way you can be rest assured of what you are getting into.

Some comments on here made me laugh hard, and it got to an extent that I shook my head in disappointment. For example one of the comments is quoted as saying a showline GSD is a cockroach. That is an advance and deep ignorance and I wouldn't blame him because if he were to be familiar with the breed and he has taken his time to study the breed standard of the GSD from either the SV, WUSV and FCI he wouldn't have spilled out such.

Truth be told whether the dog is a working line or a show line, both are still German Shepherd Dogs. They are just bred for different purposes.

Showline GSD's are family-friendly and physically appealing version of the breed that are mainly bred for looks.

Working lines are the version of the breed that is fiercely loyal and unequalled in private security, police work, and even high-level military use. As you can see the showlines are bred for a purpose and the working lines are also bred for a purpose as well. Someone said the original GSDs are the ones Max Von Stephanitz bred while he was alive, but I'd like to know if this person is using the same phone that existed when he/she was given birth to as we speak. Max Von Stephanitz asked the GSD breeders to make sure they improve on what he created and make sure his dogs remains a working dog and I can categorically tell you that charge still exists as all GSDs irrespective of the lines are all working dogs. You want to ask me how that is possible?....do a research about the Schutzhund shows, the WUSV shows and the Sieger shows and tell me what you see.

Basically there is what we call the breed standard of the GSD in which judges use to judge a GSD in a situation where such GSD does not have a known pedigree or the pedigree is lost in the winds. If some of us can try and lay our hands on it and also have a foreknowledge of the anatomy of the GSD, we will definitely know the reason why some breeders will point at your so called straight backs as a fake GSD. I have seen so many dogs on here being paraded as GSDs but truth be told they are all rubbish and mutts. An example is the picture posted on this thread, that dog has a lot of disqualifying faults and the obvious ones are the head formation and the height. For God's sake GSDs are not short and they shouldn't have long snout but if you bring that to my Kennel and I tell you the dog is not a GSD, you cry wolf and will not ask me why I said that. You want to see a working line GSD? I have attached a picture, just take a look at it, compare it to what was posted on here and change that mentality of yours about breeders rejecting your dog because it's not a showline GSD.

Basically there are five lines of the GSD and they are:

West German Showlines

American/Canadian Showlines

West German Working lines

DDR/East German Working lines

Czech Working lines.

If you say you have a GSD, he or she must belong to any of these lines, and you must be able to prove that especially with a pedigree or any form of document from a recognized breed club.

What is being paraded on here are majorly mix bred dogs, it's okay if you own them as a pet and for security purpose but once you claim you want to breed with it, then you are adding to the problems that has being created already and mutts will continue to exist.

Sometimes last year, a nairalander created a thread for a dog he bought and called it a GSD. My eyes seeing the innocent puppy at 8weeks or thereabouts knew this was a mutt and this guy has been misled as well as cheated on. I told him and he came for my head..he even had some cohorts and the one I can remember with a name is Vincentjk. They threw all sorts of rubbish at me but because I knew what I was saying I didn't back down. Months later, the dog grew and he himself came out to say his dog has a mix or a touch of husky somewhere. He saw that about 5 months later what I saw in the dog at 8 weeks when he just bought the dog. Funny right?....I'm sure that thread is dead now. What pained me most as at that time is how he has misled so many people into thinking his dog is a GSD and that was why I came hard on him.

Truth be told the German Shepherd Dog has been bastardized and some breeders also think the real deal are the showlines but they are also wrong, there are good working lines out there with a known and authenticated pedigree to show they are what we say they are. But these dogs are very few in the country, if you want a working line dog that is the real deal, you might have to break the bank for them. Working dogs are not out there for people to breed and sell to private homes, but they are always bred for the sole purpose of working hence the reason why they are scarce and expensive. Only few breeders breed the true working line GSD and the market demand also play an important role on this too.

I'll stop here, if you have questions, throw them and I'll find time to respond or you can easily reach me on Whatsapp via 08062682135.

You really don’t forget, but anyways No one disputes the fact that you are knowledgeable, have superb quality of Gsd, and am sure everyone knew that that dog was not pure but most people went after you because you were so determined to diminish the excitement that guy had over that dog.
I know that people have to stand to stop spread of mutt, but if you looked at it from that guy view, you went straight to break is heart. If you really search yourself, am sure that by now you would have realized that there are better ways that you could have made that guy know the truth especially when you know how excited he was about the dog.
For instance, a man got married to the ugliest girl in a tribe who was formerly a runz girl, where there are several beautiful ladies, to you, the man no try because he had options of choosing the best. You have no relationship with him but you were a invited by his close friend. Is it right for you to come up on his wedding day or after he got married to tell him bluntly, “your wife is too ugly and a prostitute” even if he knows that she is ugly, will he smile with you? Even your friend who invited you to the wedding, will he smile with you?

I don’t know if you understand the analogy, but my point is that, there could have been a better way then to tell the story. The truth they say is bitter, you were the devil in that story that was used to tell that guy the truth.
When the guy realized on his own, you can see that he wants to get rid of the dog right? So just calm down, you can’t force people into submission, it is a gradual process

3 Likes

Re: Slant Back Vs Straight Back GSD... by vincentjk(m): 3:47pm On Nov 18, 2019
Eveezy:

You really don’t forget, but anyways No one disputes the fact that you are knowledgeable, have superb quality of Gsd, and am sure everyone knew that that dog was not pure but most people went after you because you were so determined to diminish the excitement that guy had over that dog.
I know that people have to stand to stop spread of mutt, but if you looked at it from that guy view, you went straight to break is heart. If you really search yourself, am sure that by now you would have realized that there are better ways that you could have made that guy know the truth especially when you know how excited he was about the dog.
For instance, a man got married to the ugliest girl in a tribe who was formerly a runz girl, where there are several beautiful ladies, to you, the man no try because he had options of choosing the best. You have no relationship with him but you were a invited by his close friend. Is it right for you to come up on his wedding day or after he got married to tell him bluntly, “your wife is too ugly and a prostitute” even if he knows that she is ugly, will he smile with you? Even your friend who invited you to the wedding, will he smile with you?

I don’t know if you understand the analogy, but my point is that, there could have been a better way then to tell the story. The truth they say is bitter, you were the devil in that story that was used to tell that guy the truth.
When the guy realized on his own, you can see that he wants to get rid of the dog right? So just calm down, you can’t force people into submission, it is a gradual process

Thanks goodness you witnessed the whole thing and could tell what really happened. Nobody called that dog a pure gsd from the start neither did, I only picked offense with the way he was condemning the poor dog thereby showing of his own dogs. Phunkypalace if you really want to make corrections you do it politely, check threads on this section and see how corrections and educating is been done sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Beloved Chimpanzee Laid To Rest In Casket At Uganda Wildlife Conservation Centre / Sussie: My Wonderful Chameleon Pet. / Why You Shouldn't Allow Your Pet/dog Lick Your Face

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.