Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,865 members, 7,802,779 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:23 PM

Searching & Sharing Chat - Religion (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Searching & Sharing Chat (83732 Views)

Oshoffa Sharing His Meal With Obasanjo *throwback* / My Reply To: 5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / 5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 3:48pm On May 04, 2016
Recently it was World Malaria Day http://www.worldmalariaday.org/

I am interested in knowing how much the mainstream Nigerian knows about malaria and which prevention measures they take.

In a recent article in the Vanguard is mentioned that 51 million Nigerians, equivalent to 30 percent of the population, tested positive to the malaria parasite in 2015. I must say that I am not sure if the maths are correct... undecided. But apart from that, considering the huge population we are talking about it is even more "impressive" to read that 25 percent of the infant deaths and 11 percent of maternal mortality annually is linked to malaria, knowing that the overall mortality rate of mothers and newborns in Nigeria is extremely high, this are huge numbers we are talking about.

So what shall we do? What can we do? Whats your take on it?

Malaria in Nigeria: Shocker “Despite all the focus to eliminate Malaria in Nigeria, Why is it still a problem?”
http://www.worldmalariaday.org/archives/15807

51m Nigerians tested positive to malaria in 2015 — NIMR
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/51m-nigerians-tested-positive-malaria-2015-nimr-2/
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 12:14pm On May 05, 2016
Tufanja:
Recently it was World Malaria Day http://www.worldmalariaday.org/

I am interested in knowing how much the mainstream Nigerian knows about malaria and which prevention measures they take.

In a recent article in the Vanguard is mentioned that 51 million Nigerians, equivalent to 30 percent of the population, tested positive to the malaria parasite in 2015. I must say that I am not sure if the maths are correct... undecided. But apart from that, considering the huge population we are talking about it is even more "impressive" to read that 25 percent of the infant deaths and 11 percent of maternal mortality annually is linked to malaria, knowing that the overall mortality rate of mothers and newborns in Nigeria is extremely high, this are huge numbers we are talking about.

So what shall we do? What can we do? Whats your take on it?

Malaria in Nigeria: Shocker “Despite all the focus to eliminate Malaria in Nigeria, Why is it still a problem?”
http://www.worldmalariaday.org/archives/15807

51m Nigerians tested positive to malaria in 2015 — NIMR
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/51m-nigerians-tested-positive-malaria-2015-nimr-2/

Spoken like a true foreigner.

How can malaria be eradicated when the mosquito fly can not be eradicated?

Malaria is not a deadly disease. i have had it over 10 times in my life. It is easily treatable. Recovery is 2-3 days.

It only kills extremely poor people who can't buy drugs.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 5:23pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Spoken like a true foreigner.

How can malaria be eradicated when the mosquito fly can not be eradicated?

Malaria is not a deadly disease. i have had it over 10 times in my life. It is easily treatable. Recovery is 2-3 days.

It only kills extremely poor people who can't buy drugs.

Spoken like a true uninformed person. The true foreigners seems to be you.
Seems u have no clues about the prevention programs and the new techniques to fight the spread by mosquitos.
Malarie causes worldwide more deaths than AID/Hiv, its one of the world top killers, and it especially hits pregnant women and infants. It doesnt only hit poor population and btw, does that make it any less severe?
Sorry if u think i am uninformed, i even need to treath woman here with severe prenatal complications due to malaria.
So pls contribute to enlarging knowledge, not bagitalising a severe reality.

Maybe help to raise awareness and build up a system so that everyone has the best access to care and prevention instead of only talking down on others without knowing their experience. i am developping initiatives, u cld as well join and unite forces instead of being so negative.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 5:28pm On May 05, 2016
Tufanja:

Spoken like a true uninformed person. The true foreigners seems to be you.
Seems u have no clues about the prevention programs and the new techniques to fight the spread by mosquitos.
Malarie causes worldwide more deaths than AID/Hiv, its one of the world top killers, and it especially hits pregnant women and infants. It doesnt only hit poor population and btw, does that make it any less severe?
Sorry if u think i am uninformed, i even need to treath woman here with severe prenatal complications due to malaria.
So pls contribute in enlarging knowledge, not bagitalising a severe reality.

lol.....malaria is not a deadly disease. The cure for malaria is less than 5 Euros (€5).

I just told you that I have had it 10 times.

Doctors in London will quarantine you if you have malaria- shows how ignorant people can be- even Europeans. This is why I say that you're a foreigner.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 5:34pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

lol.....malaria is not a deadly disease. The cure for malaria is less than 5 Euros (€5).

I just told you that I have had it 10 times.

Doctors in London will quarantine you if you have malaria- shows how ignorant people can be- even Europeans. This is why I say that you're a foreigner.

You clearly dont know what u talking about. Sight. Better had read the last paragraph and do some study on the topic until you start shaming yourself.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 6:14pm On May 05, 2016
Tufanja:

You clearly dont know what u talking about. Sight. Better had read the last paragraph and do some study on the topic until you start shaming yourself.

Why dont you accept correction?

lol....ironically, that's what I like about you- you are stubborn, just like Ishilove. You only learn the hard way.

2 Likes

Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 7:04pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Why dont you accept correction?

lol....ironically, that's what I like about you- you are stubborn, just like Ishilove. You only learn the hard way.

Keep the sentiments aside, pls. I am a science person, I get bored with those personal relationship evaluations/talks, those egostuff. I really dont care if anybody finds me a bit*ch or a wit*ch. Lets solely discuss the topic, come with evidence for what you claim. Focus on content. You claim to be a logic person...bring me facts, figures..no emotions. You wont do that because u will find out i am right in what i said. Its the seriousness of the problem that brings me to work on the topic. But i see that there is first still a world to win in creating awareness and informedness.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 9:10pm On May 05, 2016
Tufanja:

Keep the sentiments aside, pls. I am a science person, I get bored with those personal relationship evaluations/talks, those egostuff. I really dont care if anybody finds me a bit*ch or a wit*ch. Lets solely discuss the topic, come with evidence for what you claim. Focus on content. You claim to be a logic person...bring me facts, figures..no emotions. You wont do that because u will find out i am right in what i said. Its the seriousness of the problem that brings me to work on the topic. But i see that there is first still a world to win in creating awareness and informedness.

Okay! Focus on content

Here are facts.

-Malaria is not a deadly disease. It is a curable disease
-Malaria can be cured in 2-3 days if treated properly
-You will be quarantined in the UK if you are found to have malaria (malaria is not contagious)
-The malaria parasite is carried by the female anopheles mosquito

Malaria occurs in Asia, Latin America and Africa. Yet, 90% of the deaths from malaria occur in Africa. Why? Poverty.

The cure for malaria is cheap but the poverty in Africa is worse. The most expensive malaria drug is about 5 euros. Small money but there are people that can't afford 5 euros.

If we had effective governments that used an aggressive pesticide control and genetic engineering of mosquitoes, we could have seen a fall in malaria infections
=================================================

Why many Nigerians like me don't worry about malaria is that it wont kill most people who are above 5 Euros a day. And you develop natural immunity to malaria after being infected
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by An0nimus: 9:21pm On May 05, 2016
LB speaks truth actually. It still shocking malaria kills more people than HIV/AIDS. Guess it's the poverty.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by An0nimus: 9:23pm On May 05, 2016
5 euros is how much in naira? is it up to 2k?
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 9:27pm On May 05, 2016
An0nimus:
5 euros is how much in naira? is it up to 2k?

Just under 2,000 naira.

I'm assuming that Euro is 300 Naira.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by An0nimus: 9:33pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Just under 2,000 naira.

People spend less to treat malaria. That 3-dose injections some 'chemist' give is not up to 2k sef.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 9:35pm On May 05, 2016
An0nimus:

People spend less to treat malaria. That 3-dose injections some 'chemist' give is not up to 2k sef.

That's why I said that malaria is not a deadly disease as such.

Ebola and AIDS? One chance cheesy
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:40pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

Just under 2,000 naira.

Three hundred naira Waipa, containing 12 tablets, wipes out malaria in three days. That's 1 dollar. Some of these figures are not true. Where exactly did they even get it from? 51 million? That's a fat lie. But seriously, since I was born I've never heard or seen somebody who died of Malaria. Have you?
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 05, 2016
JackBizzle:

That's why I said that malaria is not a deadly disease as such.

Ebola and AIDS? One chance cheesy
I think malaria kill people out of neglect than from poverty. I don't think Nigerians are that poor. Maybe other African countries but not here. Even roadside beggars make about 500 naira a day.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by jayriginal: 11:25pm On May 05, 2016
Reyginus:
Some of these figures are not true. Where exactly did they even get it from? 51 million? That's a fat lie. But seriously, since I was born I've never heard or seen somebody who died of Malaria.

Not to take sides but there is plasmodium in a lot of people. Sometimes it lies dormant and a mosquito feeding picks it up and later deposits in another person when it's feeding again. I don't know where the millions came from seeing as Nigeria is not a place where statistics are taken regularly or even accurately. I do know though that a lot of people are carrying the plasmodium parasite.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 2:26am On May 06, 2016
Reyginus:
Three hundred naira Waipa, containing 12 tablets, wipes out malaria in three days. That's 1 dollar. Some of these figures are not true. Where exactly did they even get it from? 51 million? That's a fat lie. But seriously, since I was born I've never heard or seen somebody who died of Malaria. Have you?

I have seen malaria kill someone but the person had other complications, so it wasnt the malaria alone.

Just one person....
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 2:27am On May 06, 2016
Tufanja,

I hope you are reading what other Nigerians are saying and you are taking correction?
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 6:16am On May 06, 2016
JackBizzle:
Tufanja,

I hope you are reading what other Nigerians are saying and you are taking correction?

Rather I am totally shocked by the informedness on this topic and the strain of reasoning. Btw, because 3 nigerians didnt see/hear someone dying, malaria is not a serious problem? Since when are personal observations like this rocket science in a country as big as Naija? Moreover, most replies left aside to respond to the points I made. Asap I have some time to write I will respond on all those aspects, only because I am very concerned about this type of answers I get from people who I expect to know what they are talking about, because awareness is key in the battle, I am not interested in paternalistic motivations to "make others take corrections". Use that energy to gain content and knowledge and make a change.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by An0nimus: 8:30am On May 06, 2016
jayriginal:

Not to take sides but there is plasmodium in a lot of people. Sometimes it lies dormant and a mosquito feeding picks it up and later deposits in another person when it's feeding again. I don't know where the millions came from seeing as Nigeria is not a place where statistics are taken regularly or even accurately. I do know though that a lot of people are carrying the plasmodium parasite.

What are the effects of carrying the plasmodium parasite? with the way mosquitoes feast on people it's not hard to imagine many carriers.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by An0nimus: 8:41am On May 06, 2016
Reyginus:

I'm not too sure but I think I've heard of malaria deaths. Some of the 'died after a brief illness' we hear is malaria.That being said, it's common place to hear statements like 'chai na malaria kill am, common malaria'. Everyone knows malaria is 'common' and generally easy to treat.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by jayriginal: 9:03am On May 06, 2016
An0nimus:

What are the effects of carrying the plasmodium parasite? with the way mosquitoes feast on people it's not hard to imagine many carriers.

Most people carry the plasmodium parasite. They stay in the system and start to breed until such a time as the immune system starts to become overwhelmed. Thats when you start getting symptoms of malaria.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 7:57pm On May 06, 2016
Tufanja:

Rather I am totally shocked by the informedness on this topic and the strain of reasoning. Btw, because 3 nigerians didnt see/hear someone dying, malaria is not a serious problem? Since when are personal observations like this rocket science in a country as big as Naija? Moreover, most replies left aside to respond to the points I made. Asap I have some time to write I will respond on all those aspects, only because I am very concerned about this type of answers I get from people who I expect to know what they are talking about, because awareness is key in the battle, I am not interested in paternalistic motivations to "make others take corrections". Use that energy to gain content and knowledge and make a change.

Okay, I await your insightful comment on malaria in Nigeria/Africa

1 Like

Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:26am On May 07, 2016
jayriginal:

Yeah. We are poor in stats keeping. That makes every stats suspect.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:27am On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

I have seen malaria kill someone but the person had other complications, so it wasnt the malaria alone.

Just one person....
Yes. Malaria kills and afflicts but, in Nigeria, not in that numbers.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:29am On May 07, 2016
An0nimus:

I'm not too sure but I think I've heard of malaria deaths. Some of the 'died after a brief illness' we hear is malaria.That being said, it's common place to hear statements like 'chai na malaria kill am, common malaria'. Everyone knows malaria is 'common' and generally easy to treat.
You see, none of you can really say that with all assurance. You know the implication of that stats? It simply implies that 1 out of every 4 Nigerians is sick in ten days.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 10:35am On May 07, 2016
Reyginus:
You see, none of you can really say that with all assurance. You know the implication of that stats? It simply implies that 1 out of every 4 Nigerians is sick in ten days.

The fact remains that malaria is easily treatable.

My problem is that Tufanja is behaving like a typical European- they think malaria is so deadly. I've had two friends in the UK quarantined because they came back from Nigeria with malaria. Malaria is not contagious!!!
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 10:44am On May 07, 2016
JackBizzle:

The fact remains that malaria is easily treatable.

My problem is that Tufanja is behaving like a typical European- they think malaria is so deadly. I've had two friends in the UK quarantined because they came back from Nigeria with malaria. Malaria is not contagious!!!
Lol. Reminds me of when Man United played in Abuja with Portsmouth and Sir Alex Ferguson came with a Mosquito repellant. Wayne Rooney later complained of contracting malaria.
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 11:00am On May 07, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. Reminds me of when Man United played in Abuja with Portsmouth and Sir Alex Ferguson came with a Mosquito repellant. Wayne Rooney later complained of contracting malaria.

lol
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 2:14pm On May 09, 2016
Hello tufa, what's up with you?
Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by JackBizzle: 2:22pm On May 09, 2016
Reyginus:
Hello tufa, what's up with you?

ishilove happened tongue

1 Like

Re: Searching & Sharing Chat by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 09, 2016
JackBizzle:

ishilove happened tongue
No, I don't think so. She's not like that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (Reply)

Emir Of Bauchi Rejects Pastor Adeboye's Courtesy Visit To His Palace(pics) / Jim Iyke Delivered In Synagogue Church Of All Nations / Why Do Nigerian Girls Complain About Deeper Life Weddings?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.