Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,707 members, 7,805,897 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:13 AM

Collard Green - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Collard Green (9354 Views)

How Do I Make My Fried Rice Look Green? / (PHOTO) Introducing New Recipe- GREEN EBA A.k.a 'ebbage'. / Fresh green Okra, what can I do with them? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Collard Green by Hauwa1: 6:08pm On Jul 16, 2009
Hey everyone pls can anyone help with recipe for collard green?

Sisterwoman, helep o

tongue
Re: Collard Green by bintab(f): 10:34am On Jul 17, 2009
i use collard green for my egusi ,i dont know what else to use it for.
Re: Collard Green by Hauwa1: 1:27am On Jul 18, 2009
bintab, thanks, egusi and collard greens? how does it taste pls?
Re: Collard Green by chiogo(f): 1:57am On Jul 18, 2009
My mom uses 'em to cook stew. undecided and naija soups sometimes.
Re: Collard Green by bintab(f): 3:40am On Jul 18, 2009
It taste excellent and look great especilly if it is egusi didi,it is the best if you cannot get ugu .I usually pre boiled them when they are fresh but the frozen just need to be thaw. You should try it sometime,it very porpular with the  alase here at naija parties.
Re: Collard Green by xoxoxo(f): 4:33pm On Jul 18, 2009
Saute Collard Green with bacon and walnuts

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 thick-cut bacon slice, chopped
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 bunch collard green (remove bottom stem and cut into 1 inch pieces)
2 tablespoons finely grated cheese (optional)

heat oil in pan over medium heat.
Add bacon, saute until almost crisp, about 6 minutes.
Add walnuts, saute 1 minute. add greens and toss until wilted but still bright green. season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer to bowl. sprinkle with cheese, if desired and serve.
Re: Collard Green by Hauwa1: 1:44am On Jul 19, 2009
chiogo and bintab, thanks so much. i will try it one blessed day. just dont like the egusi they have here. crazy for native egusi.

xoxoxo, thanks for the tip. can bacon and walnut be replaced with something else?
Re: Collard Green by xoxoxo(f): 1:59am On Jul 20, 2009
i am guessing you are not a pork lover, so try sun dried tomatoes (the dry package ones, not the one in oil) . if you don't like nuts, try pumpkin seed.
Re: Collard Green by Nobody: 2:35am On Jul 20, 2009
OMG!!!! I love the way my mom cooks her collard greens with egunsi.

Wow, I miss her cooking cry cry cry

*Hauwa*:

bintab, thanks, egusi and collard greens? how does it taste pls?
It tastes like the clouds in heaven cheesy
Re: Collard Green by sosisi(f): 3:22am On Jul 20, 2009
bintab:

i use collard green for my egusi ,i dont know what else to use it for.

The day I tried it,my husband abandoned the pot of egusi soup for me cry cry
It may not be edible to some people
Re: Collard Green by blandyne(f): 8:45pm On Jul 31, 2009
Since i'm not a pork lover when cooking my collard greens i use smoked turkey neckbones. Unfortunately i don't have a recipe but i can tell you how i prepare it.
It's easy as 1 ,2,3 wink wink
_ Sauté some shoped onions in a little bit of olive oil ( u can use any other oil).

_ Add the smoked turkey neckbones.

_ Pour in some water ( can't tell you the amount, it depends of how many pieces you have)

_Add your seasonings ( personnally i don't put salt at all because the meat is already salty. U can use ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, garlic and herbs. Use any seasonnings that u like)

_ let it boil. When the meat halfway tender, remove them and put your collard greens in the pot. Then add the meat again and some more water.

_ Again let the greens boil with the meat. Once the greens are soft, they are done. Enjoy smiley smiley

p.s: Some people love to eat their collard greens soaked in the water or concoction that they were cooked in, personally i don't.
Re: Collard Green by TOYOSI20(f): 8:55am On Aug 02, 2009
i love collard greens cos they tend to be much more crunchy than spinach, . . . .

all u have to do is to wash 'em real well, and steam them wid some salt, or soy sauce, and garlic

and u can put it on some steamed rice and wid stew, or prepare it palm oil and pepper just like u would efo riro, it is also very nutritious, smiley
Re: Collard Green by TOYOSI20(f): 8:55am On Aug 02, 2009
smiley

Re: Collard Green by Hauwa1: 7:13pm On Aug 03, 2009
Thanks everyone kiss kiss.

Toyosi, i must try your recipe. just a bit scared to grin.
sha this week or next, i will give it a try.

some use vinegar is that okay? and which kind of vinegar?

(1) (Reply)

Original Bottle Crushing Silver Crest Blender / Exchanging Food During Christmas: You Like? / How To Enjoy Alcohol Without Getting Drunk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.