Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,980 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:23 PM

Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns (27544 Views)

PHOTOS: #istandwithbuhari Protesters In Abuja / #IstandWithBuhari: Kayode Ogundamis Exposes Chinedu Okpalanma / Nigerians Mocks Buharist Trending #istandwithbuhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by naptu2: 3:57pm On Mar 07, 2016
[size=14pt]From #BringBackGoodluck2015 to #iStandWithBuhari , Activist explains & resigns after Criticism[/size]

07.03.2016⁠ at 2:01 pm By BellaNaija.com

Eng Chinedu Okpalanma was one of the founders of #BringbackGoodluck2015 now coodinating #IStandWithBuhari campaign

— Kayode Ogundamisi (@ogundamisi) March 2, 2016

The Director-General of the #iStandWithBuhari campaign, Engr. Chinedu Okpalanma, has responded to Kayode Ogundamisi, the journalist and political commentator who accused him of being a fraud because of his past role as co-founder of the #BringBackGoodluck2015 initiative. He said he was dismayed by Ogundamisi’s “vicious campaign” against his character and person just so he could pull down a “nationalistic movement to which I and millions of well-meaning Nigerians have freely subscribed to via the affirmative statement #istandwithbuhari.”

Okpalanma has also resigned as the DG of the campaign, saying that he took the step to show that the initiative is sincere and not about him. He said that following the backlash which greeted the news that he was the DG of the organisation, he felt the need to resign so that the group can achieve its lofty ideals without being bogged by distractions about his personality.

Admitting that he was one of the founders of the group, he said he was not alone as the campaign is a “collection of young Nigerians from all works of life and different religious beliefs & political inclinations who came together with one ideal in mind: that it is time for us as individuals to see ourselves as Nigeria and seize this golden opportunity towards ensuring that Project Nigeria does not fail.”

“From the time Goodluck Jonathan won the 2011 election, I was one of his biggest critics. I was vocal and marched on the streets during the #OccupyNigeria protests, I wrote open letters to the Presidency in anger at some of the names his government found worthy of national merit awards, I also wrote on various public platforms on my disappointment at the then President’s seeming inability to act even when it seemed there was overwhelming evidence of impunity against his cabinet members. In all of this though, I remained steadfast in the belief that things would change,” he said.

However, Okpalanma stated that as the 2015 elections approached, he began to be convinced that the Jonathan administration was “more under siege for political reasons and that sabotage was a scheme being used to oust him by any means necessary. Coupled with the revolution I was witnessing in the agricultural sector & seeming revival of our railway system, I felt he was my best candidate to continue and thus I put in my whole support for his candidacy without coercion.”

He however insisted that he never met the former president in person, was not sponsored by the presidency as he went about expending resources in trying to sensitize Nigerians to vote for Jonathan, and was never given a penny or contract by former ministers, agencies of government, friends of the President or even the embattled NSA Sambo Dasuki.

Okpalanma insisted in his statement that he withdrew support for Goodluck Jonathan along with his group long before the 2015 elections. “My reasons then were simple. By November 2014, I was no longer comfortable with the information filtering out on how huge monies were moved from person to person in government circles… I concluded then that Nigeria was being sold off to the highest bidder without our knowledge, and I believed that even if Goodluck Jonathan won the elections, there were facts to suggest this same people around him fingered in various illicit transactions would continue in office with him, as it seemed he was incapable of acting to change things,” he said.

As a result, Okpalanma said by December 2014, he started a process of moving his support with that of 1.9 million Nigerians who had signed up to his campaign, to supporting the candidacy of President Muhammadu Buhari. He said there are people currently in government who can attest to the fact that he stood with Buhari even before the elections.

He took exception with the attempts by some people to make it seem as though only those who supported President Buhari before can participate in any cause to support his policies now. “Are these advocates now saying that President Muhammadu Buhari & his political party should not work with other well-meaning Nigerians who believe in this administration and are ready to sacrifice all to ensure things change for our collective good?” he said.

Speaking on why he supported Buhari, Okpalanma said his turning point was #DasukiGate. He lamented that such huge amount of money could have been diverted by one individual under our noses, and even though he thought at first that it was a witchhunt, he now believes it is true due to the confessions by those who received cash. Furthermore, he said he understood that the fight against corruption needed to be more people oriented than government oriented when he saw some Nigerians defending #DasukiGate. “That was when I made up my mind to sign up with #istandwithbuhari,” he said.

Okpalanma said it will be criminal to leave the task ahead to Buhari alone. “As at this moment, everything I am seeing shows me that President Muhammadu Buhari is not sleeping on the job, but doing everything within legal means to ensure Nigeria lives. To rejig a system that has completely decayed and failed needs courage, prayers and support. I am doing my bit by supporting #istandwithbuhari, not trying to bring it down. If my stand is giving certain individuals or group of individuals sleepless nights, then may they remain awake for eternity,” he said.

He insisted that the #istandwithbuhari group has no endorsement from President Buhari and has not sought any sort of financial support from the President or by extension his government. “I have never vied for any political position in my life (and have no intentions of doing same), nor have I ever submitted my CV for consideration for political appointment to any government, thus my involvement with #istandwithbuhari is not for political favours. I am in this because I believe in this, period,” he said.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2016/03/from-bringbackgoodluck2015-to-istandwithbuhari-activist-explains-resigns-after-criticism/

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by rusher14: 4:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
Career hypeman.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by NOC1(m): 4:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
in real world immediately you are busted you have no other option than to say i quit.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by LordMecuzy(m): 4:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
That's Nigerians for you, they are ready to jump into alliance with any government in power..

Okpalanma sounds like Ikwerre

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by obailala(m): 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
Gbam! grin

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Owode1: 4:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
And so what?
Does it take away the fact that we're being dragged back into the days of tyranny ?
The economy is in shambles.
There is restiveness all over the country.
We are more divided now than ever.
Unemployment everywhere.
Hunger and poverty is ravaging the land.

And people keep putting up shit for us to be reading and stay distracted.
This government is just a shame.
Propaganda filled government.
In fact I am so angry for voting this d*llard of a presidiot!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by naptu2: 4:30pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by naptu2: 4:31pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by EdCure: 4:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
LordMecuzy:
That's Nigerians for you, they are ready to jump into alliance with any government in power..
Okpalanma sounds like Ikwerr
Praise singing and butlicking is ingrained in their DNA. Worse still, they like to reap where they don't sow.

He thought all Nigerians will be too lazy to check on his antecedents.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by omenka(m): 4:45pm On Mar 07, 2016
As they gather in the cover of darkness in their covens to conspire against a just man President Mohamadu Buhari, so shall God disperse and disgrace them in the brightness of daytime.

Imagine the shame of a people. What's so difficult in accepting defeat that they'd go to such lengths just to ridicule Buhari??

May the Hunger that dwell in the #PDPHouseOfHunger never depart from them, amen.

Useless bunch of deadbeats.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by naptu2: 4:50pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Nobody: 4:56pm On Mar 07, 2016
the yoruba journalist is a tribal bigot
the guy did what he felt was right by leaving PDP for APC
didnt OBJ and co do the same?
saraki and co did they not join APC?
well well well let rivers people keep saying they dont want biafra o, at least ur names are enough to bring you all the hate and marginalization in the zoo.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by SleekMallam: 4:57pm On Mar 07, 2016
That I stand with Buhari no matter how well intentioned backfired. In the mist of the suffering in the land anybody that chants sai buhari in any public gathering might likely be lynched. The anger is that bad.

Buhari really lost the goodwill of same people that voted him in record time.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Babacele: 5:01pm On Mar 07, 2016
omenka:
As they gather in the cover of darkness in their covens to conspire against a just man President Mohamadu Buhari, so shall God disperse and disgrace them in the brightness of daytime.

Imagine the shame of a people. What's so difficult in accepting defeat that they'd go to such lengths just to ridicule Buhari??

May the Hunger that dwell in the #PDPHouseOfHunger never depart from them, amen.

Useless bunch of deadbeats.
amen

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by mile12crises: 5:06pm On Mar 07, 2016
Another victim, Mr Kunle Afariogun, who escaped death by the whiskers said he ran into the hoodlums on his way back from work.

‘’Thank God I understand Hausa language, if not, only God knows what would have happened to me. I was on my way home when I ran into them and they asked me if I were an Hausa man and I answered in the affirmative. But they were not convinced and asked me to start speaking in Hausa Language which I did and they responded in Hausa Language ‘he is one of us, don’t kill him.’’

9 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by seunmsg(m): 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
Shameless sycophant. Is it compulsory he must form a group to support the government in power? Youths like him are the reasons most political leaders always argue that the present crop of Nigerian youths are not ready for serious political leadership. They go about forming useless groups in support of any government in power just to get peanuts from politician.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by nbright: 5:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
cheesy
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by SylarsMcQuins: 5:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
All others tribes gonna do is hate hate hate

Buh we 5% gonna rule supreme...

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by MrMcJay(m): 5:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
[s]Okay
Eintelekt:
To Buhari, we are not Nigerians!
To Buhari, Nigeria is a survival of the fittest
To Buhari, his militias are permitted to shoot at unarmed civilians
Mr Buhari did not only display an unfortunate high level of arrogance and tribalism in his refusal to watch a video of the unprovoked murder of unarmed Nigerians, he also, through his uncultured response, exhibited that same “they are on their own” attitude that we have seen over the years.
- Were the people in that video Nigerians?
- Do they have the right to social gathering, to protest, and to agitate for their rights?
- Were they unarmed?
- Was their shooting unprovoked?
- Is Mr Buhari supposed to be their president and chief security officer?

In his self righteous disposition, Buhari has, no doubt, written this set of Nigerians off and counted them as rebels. To him, it does not matter what their problem is, whatever justification their agitation holds, and how, for whatever reason, it could be resolved. He does not care about any form of peaceful resolution, and he will be very comfortable if his militia decides to go on a destructive rampage and annihilate these people, just provided he doesn’t get to watch it.
This also shows that any member of his militia can comfortably harass and murder anybody from the South East and South South regions, whether you are hoisting a flag or not, and be justified in Buhari’s books as a hero who killed a Biafran(unarmed civilians).
The new practice henceforth will be to shoot any innocent person and heinously plant a Biafran flag on him. It has been established today, permitted and will probably be rewarded graciously.
Buhari cannot be said in all honesty to be Nigeria’s PRESIDENT with the various divisive statements that emanate from him. He has shown in his feigned righteousness and infamous sincerity that he is a tribalist and a religious fanatic who is very much incapable of leading a multi tribal and secular state like Nigeria.
If this is what Buhari stands for, I reject him and all he represents and herein withdraw the very little respect I had for him prior to that interview.
Long live the Igbo Nation!
Long live the great Old Eastern Region!
God bless the 5%!
[/s]

If you examine the voting pattern of the SE since 1999, they have always stuck to voting any government in power. If you doubt me, when Ojukwu contested, they dumped him and voted Obasanjo. When Orji Uzor Kalu contested, they dumped him and voted Yar'Adua.

Opposition politics is new to the SE and they have chosen the path of secession as a shock-absorber after the electoral shock of 2015 elections. Unfortunately, the SE doesn't presently have a central rallying force and so, by 2019, they would vote for someone in APC as usual.

The only figure that may be acceptable to the SE is Nnamdi Kanu and it would be a big shame if he eventually eats his words to contest in the "Zoo" as he won't win any national elections outside the 5 SE states. I'll like to see Kanu contest in Dutse or Ibadan.

For me, I think integration is more beneficial than disintegration

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by looseweight: 5:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
Typical of a Nigerian.
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Nobody: 5:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
Man must wack.E be like say buhari no even send am hence he resigned.
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Okijajuju1(m): 5:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
Wow! Another Sincere Igbo man..

I am glad to know I am not the only one out there. cool

iStandWithBuhari..

iStandAgainstIPOB.

LifeImprisonmentForKanu..

5 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Integrityfarms(m): 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2016
Well we know there are sycophants who only dances when the trend is in their direction

1 Like

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by Nobody: 5:16pm On Mar 07, 2016
Sheybe na apc welcome pdp decampees to it party?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by 5starmilitant: 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
Let them keep standing by buhari, very soon some of them will die of hunger and hardship before buhari.

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by sammyj: 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
Any time any PMB is 100 times better than the Bufoon called GEJ the clueless one.!!! shocked angry

2 Likes

Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by gbens2000(m): 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
Huahuahuahua shishishishi,I laf in Swahili.the movie has just begun.
Re: Chinedu Okpalanma, DG Of #istandwithbuhari Resigns by wiloy2k8(m): 5:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Appoints Florence Anyanwu As Auditor-general Of The Federation (Acting) / Thugs Attack Shina Peller During APC Rally In Oyo, Wife Almost Injured / Lagos PDP Gubernatorial Primaries - Live Updates!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.