Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,479 members, 7,808,748 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl (2282 Views)

Atletico Madrid Unveils Thomas Lemar, New Signing (Photos) / Thomas Tuchel Replaces Unai Emery As PSG Coach On A Two Years Deal / Jefferson Louis, The Only Footballer Who Has Played For 36 Clubs In His Career (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 12:16am On Mar 08, 2016
Thomas Jefferson: The Face of a Rapist

Americans look at Thomas Jefferson and see the one of the authors of the Declaration of Independence, a statesman, a former president and one of the founding fathers,’ however; when I look at him, I see the face of a rapist. When Jefferson first met Sally Hemings, his slave through inheritance, she would have been no more than 15 or 16 years old. It is rumoured that when she returned from France with him, that she was already pregnant with his child.

It was widely suggested within his own life time that he kept a light skinned negro concubine. You see, Sally was 3/4 white and was described as a handsome light skinned woman with long dark hair in one of the few known descriptions of her. Jefferson’s children through his wife Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson, denied the relationship, however; Jefferson himself did not publicly answer the rumours. The only slaves that Jefferson freed were the children of Hemings and he petitioned the government for two of her sons to stay in Virginia after emancipation. At the time, a slave had to leave the state within one year of manumission.

There are those that to this day vehemently deny that Jefferson fathered Sally’s six children despite the DNA evidence. It is my belief that such denial is not based in the simple fact that it would prove that he was a lecher but that he chose a woman of color.

On the other side of the coin are those that believe the oral, written, and DNA evidence. They often refer to the relationship as an illicit love affair, citing that Sally had the opportunity to stay in France where slavery was outlawed, rather than returning to the United States with Jefferson. Assuming that Sally had chosen to stay in Paris, what would an uneducated 1/4 negresss do with no money to support herself and her unborn child? She chose to return because Jefferson gave his word that he would free her children and offer her a life of comfort relative to the other slaves at Monticello.

Jefferson may have felt love for Sally but how can we possibly term this relationship a love affair? Once they returned to the US, he had the power to have her flogged, or even put to death. At anytime he could have sold her children away from her. For a relationship based in love to exist, both parties must be equal and due to the power differential between Jefferson and Hemings what occurred cannot be described as anything other than rape. Some have even had the nerve to refer to Hemings as the first Black first lady of the United States as a way of further legitimizing the relationship between the two, however; to sanitize it and call it anything other than rape, is to once again violate her spirit.

Jefferson was not the first or last White man to sneak into the slave cabins. One of the reasons White women argued so vehemently for the abolition of slavery, was to save the poor overwhelmed White man from the negro temptress. It was not uncommon to see near white or light skinned children resembling the master working on the plantation. The Black woman was and still is blamed for her own rape. Victim blaming began with women of color and continues to this day.

No matter how many times Black women have angrily contested the use of the term love affair between Hemings and Jefferson, it continues to be the most common descriptor by those who believe the DNA evidence. This assumes that Hemings actually had the power to deny Jefferson sexual access, or that Jefferson had a right to Sally’s body for the purposes of sexual gratification. Both suppositions are erroneous. Due to the patriarchal nature of gender relations, many men believe that they exist with the right to access women’s bodies and that is specifically grounded in the power imbalance between the genders. If we can acknowledge in a modern context that a power imbalance exists between men and women, how much more likely is it that this same imbalance existed between Jefferson and Hemings?

Some may look back at Jefferson and simply claim that he was a man of his time and that he should not be judged outside of historical context, however; in my mind a rapist is a rapist. What he did at the time may not have been considered a violation due to current race and gender relations, however; today we can correctly name his actions. Sally did not have the power to consent to his advances even if she was so inclined; this simple fact must be affirmed not only to honour the memory of Hemings but to change the social understanding that Black women’s bodies are unrapeable. We are not naturally licentious whores who exist to fulfill the sexual fantasies of depraved racist men. We are women that must be accorded the right to control over our bodies without punishment for any decisions we make in that regard.

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2009/08/20/thomas-jefferson-the-face-of-a-rapist/
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 12:20am On Mar 08, 2016
Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: A Brief Account

The claim that Thomas Jefferson fathered children with Sally Hemings, a slave at Monticello, entered the public arena during Jefferson's first term as president, and it has remained a subject of discussion and disagreement for two centuries. Based on documentary, scientific, statistical, and oral history evidence, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation (TJF) Research Committee Report on Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings (January 2000) remains the most comprehensive analysis of this historical topic. Ten years later, TJF and most historians believe that, years after his wife’s death, Thomas Jefferson was the father of the six children of Sally Hemings mentioned in Jefferson's records, including Beverly, Harriet, Madison, and Eston Hemings.

Historical Background
In September 1802, political journalist James T. Callender, a disaffected former ally of Jefferson, wrote in a Richmond newspaper that Jefferson had for many years "kept, as his concubine, one of his own slaves." "Her name is Sally," Callender continued, adding that Jefferson had "several children" by her.

Although there had been rumors of a sexual relationship between Jefferson and an enslaved woman before 1802, Callender's article spread the story widely. It was taken up by Jefferson's Federalist opponents and was published in many newspapers during the remainder of Jefferson's presidency.

Jefferson's policy was to offer no public response to personal attacks, and he apparently made no explicit public or private comment on this question (although a private letter of 1805 has been interpreted by some individuals as a denial of the story). Sally Hemings left no known accounts.

Jefferson's daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph privately denied the published reports. Two of her children, Ellen Randolph Coolidge and Thomas Jefferson Randolph, maintained many years later that such a liaison was not possible, on both moral and practical grounds. They also stated that Jefferson's nephews Peter and Samuel Carr were the fathers of the light-skinned Monticello slaves some thought to be Jefferson's children because they resembled him.

The Jefferson-Hemings story was sustained through the 19th century by Northern abolitionists, British critics of American democracy, and others. Its vitality among the American population at large was recorded by European travelers of the time. Through the 20th century, some historians accepted the possibility of a Jefferson-Hemings connection and a few gave it credence, but most Jefferson scholars found the case for such a relationship unpersuasive.

Over the years, however, belief in a Thomas Jefferson-Sally Hemings relationship was perpetuated in private. Two of her children--Madison and Eston--indicated that Jefferson was their father, and this belief has been perpetuated in the oral histories of generations of their descendants as an important family truth.

DNA Evidence and Response
The results of DNA tests conducted by Dr. Eugene Foster and a team of geneticists in 1998 challenged the view that the Jefferson-Hemings relationship could be neither refuted nor substantiated . The study--which tested Y-chromosomal DNA samples from male-line descendants of Field Jefferson (Thomas Jefferson's uncle), John Carr (grandfather of Jefferson's Carr nephews), Eston Hemings, and Thomas Woodson--indicated a genetic link between the Jefferson and Hemings descendants. The results of the study established that an individual carrying the male Jefferson Y chromosome fathered Eston Hemings (born 1808), the last known child born to Sally Hemings. There were approximately 25 adult male Jeffersons who carried this chromosome living in Virginia at that time, and a few of them are known to have visited Monticello. The study's authors, however, said "the simplest and most probable" conclusion was that Thomas Jefferson had fathered Eston Hemings.

The DNA testing found no genetic link between the Hemings and Carr descendants, refuting Jefferson’s grandchildren’s assertion that his Carr nephews fathered Sally Hemings’s children.

Additionally, the DNA study found no link between the descendants of Field Jefferson and Thomas Woodson (1790-1879), whose family members have long held that he was the first son of Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings. Madison Hemings, Sally's second-youngest son, said in 1873 that his mother had been pregnant with Jefferson's child (who, he said, lived "but a short time"wink when she returned from France in 1789. There is no indication in Jefferson's records of a child born to Hemings before 1795, and there are no known documents to support that Thomas Woodson was Hemings's first child.

Shortly after the DNA test results were released in November 1998, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation formed a research committee consisting of nine members of the foundation staff, including four with Ph.D.s. In January 2000, the committee reported that the weight of all known evidence--from the DNA study, original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data--indicated a high probability that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Eston Hemings, and that he was likely the father of all six of Sally Hemings's children listed in Monticello records--Harriet (born 1795; died in infancy); Beverly (born 1798); an unnamed daughter (born 1799; died in infancy); Harriet (born 1801); Madison (born 1805); and Eston (born 1808).

Since then, a committee commissioned by the Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society, after reviewing essentially the same material, reached different conclusions, namely that Sally Hemings was only a minor figure in Thomas Jefferson's life and that it is very unlikely he fathered any of her children. This committee also suggested in its report, issued in April 2001 and revised in 2011, that Jefferson's younger brother Randolph (1755-1815) was more likely the father of at least some of Sally Hemings's children.

From the Historical Record
The following summarizes what is known about Sally Hemings and her family.

Sally Hemings (1773-1835) was a slave at Monticello; she lived in Paris with Jefferson and two of his daughters from 1787 to 1789; and she had at least six children.

Sally Hemings's duties included being a nursemaid-companion to Thomas Jefferson's daughter Maria (ca. 1784-1787), lady's maid to daughters Martha and Maria (1787-1797), and chambermaid and seamstress (1790s-1827).

There are no known images of Sally Hemings and only four known descriptions of her appearance or demeanor.

Sally Hemings left no known written accounts. It is not known if she was literate.

In the few scattered references to Sally Hemings in Thomas Jefferson's records and correspondence, there is nothing to distinguish her from other members of her family.

Thomas Jefferson was at Monticello at the likely conception times of Sally Hemings's six known children. There are no records suggesting that she was elsewhere at these times, or records of any births at times that would exclude Jefferson paternity.

There are no indications in contemporary accounts by people familiar with Monticello that Sally Hemings's children had different fathers.

Sally Hemings's children were light-skinned, and three of them (daughter Harriet and sons Beverly and Eston) lived as members of white society as adults.

According to contemporary accounts, some of Sally Hemings's children strongly resembled Thomas Jefferson.

Thomas Jefferson freed all of Sally Hemings's children: Beverly and Harriet were allowed to leave Monticello in 1822; Madison and Eston were released in Jefferson's 1826 will. Jefferson gave freedom to no other nuclear slave family.

Thomas Jefferson did not free Sally Hemings. She was permitted to leave Monticello by his daughter Martha Jefferson Randolph not long after Jefferson's death in 1826, and went to live with her sons Madison and Eston in Charlottesville.

Several people close to Thomas Jefferson or the Monticello community believed that he was the father of Sally Hemings's children.
Eston Hemings changed his name to Eston Hemings Jefferson in 1852.

Madison Hemings stated in 1873 that he and his siblings Beverly, Harriet, and Eston were Thomas Jefferson's children.
The descendants of Madison Hemings who have lived as African-Americans have passed a family history of descent from Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings down through the generations.

Eston Hemings's descendants, who have lived as whites, have passed down a family history of being related to Thomas Jefferson. In the 1940s, family members changed this history to state that an uncle of Jefferson's, rather than Jefferson himself, was their ancestor.
According to Madison Hemings, Sally's mother Elizabeth Hemings (1735-1807) was the daughter of an African woman and an English sea captain. By Madison Hemings's and other accounts, Sally Hemings and some of her siblings were the children of John Wayles, Thomas Jefferson's father-in-law, making her the half-sister of Jefferson's wife, Martha Wayles Jefferson (1748-1782). Elizabeth Hemings and her children lived at John Wayles' plantation during his lifetime.

Questions remain about the nature of the relationship that existed between Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings; whether she had a child at Monticello shortly after they returned from France in 1789; and whether there is anything to connect Jefferson, Hemings, and Thomas Woodson.

https://www.monticello.org/site/plantation-and-slavery/thomas-jefferson-and-sally-hemings-brief-account
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by idupaul: 12:24am On Mar 08, 2016
Sometimes we really fall in love with those that work for us because through every day contact we gather to see the the inner beauty the inner beauty they possess

1 Like

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 12:41am On Mar 08, 2016
idupaul:
Sometimes we really fall in love with those that work for us because through every day contact we gather to see the the inner beauty the inner beauty they possess

So you can fall in love with a 15/16 yr old girl and shag her? shocked

Pedo alert!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by idupaul: 12:48am On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

So you can fall in love with a 15/16 yr old girl and shag her? shocked

Pedo alert!

Never dude...but I can fall in luv with a 16 year old but would never shag her... Show me a man who won't the key word is control

1 Like

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Blackops(m): 12:53am On Mar 08, 2016
Got to know about this in a Movie #SleepyHollow. All these great men have skeletons in there wardrobes many of them.

1 Like

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 1:01am On Mar 08, 2016
idupaul:

Never dude...but I can fall in luv with a 16 year old but would never shag her... Show me a man who won't the key word is control

Once you're over 21 - leave chics below 18 alone. Apart from the fact that they're still technically minors, their brain also isn't mentally developed to deal with an adult. So it's always better to stay away from them and give them time to grow.

I do meet tons of 17 yr olds around where I live, who're still in college and trust me when I say most of them look like they're in their mid-20s. And cos of that, I always ask all the chics I meet about their age before chatting to them. There was one I met recently that I was standing next to me in a store. You need to see how crazy her body is. As soon as she told me her age - I just told her stay cool and have fun, and that I'm too old for her. You can't be messing with kids, it's inappropriate.

That said: this was during the slavery era and white men committed just too many atrocities against black women. So it's crazy to see someone who's one of the founding fathers of America and a man a lot of folks look up to as an American hero being guilty of one of the most barbaric crimes and dehumanisation white folks committed against black folks. It's a shame.

5 Likes

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Ratello: 1:19am On Mar 08, 2016
Hey yo Shymexx, I first heard about this news sometimes ago in an exclusive edition of ebony magazine many years back but kind of doubt......it was reported then that the said "black Lady" was one of the slave gurls within the enclave of Jefferson, the question now comes, Jefferson was well loved during his time as one of the heroes of America. The arrowhead who saw to the penning down of "Declaration of Independence" United States 3rd President ......, how did they arrive at "his carnal knowledge of a black slave" still beats my imagination. Mind you, I am not holding brief for Jefferson but just curious about a story many Americans (including black Americans) are yet to come in terms with.
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 1:35am On Mar 08, 2016
Ratello:
Hey yo Shymexx, I first heard about this news sometimes ago in an exclusive edition of ebony magazine many years back but kind of doubt......it was reported then that the said "black Lady" was one of the slave gurls within the enclave of Jefferson, the question now comes, Jefferson was well loved during his time as one of the heroes of America. The arrowhead who saw to the penning down of "Declaration of Independence" United States 3rd President ......, how did they arrive at "his carnal knowledge of a black slave" still beats my imagination. Mind you, I am not holding brief for Jefferson but just curious about a story many Americans (including black Americans) are yet to come in terms with.

This excerpt should tell you all you need to know:

Shortly after the DNA test results were released in November 1998, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation formed a research committee consisting of nine members of the foundation staff, including four with Ph.D.s. In January 2000, the committee reported that the weight of all known evidence--from the DNA study, original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data--indicated a high probability that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Eston Hemings, and that he was likely the father of all six of Sally Hemings's children listed in Monticello records--Harriet (born 1795; died in infancy); Beverly (born 1798); an unnamed daughter (born 1799; died in infancy); Harriet (born 1801); Madison (born 1805); and Eston (born 1808).

American history is a very dirty and dark, and most of the so-called Americans were criminals.

Err, do you know that millions of freed black slaves were kept in a concentration camp, in Natchez, Mississippi, during and after the American civil war and they were all killed and buried there? That's US history for you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Ratello: 1:45am On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

American history is a very dirty and dark, and most of the so-called Americans were criminals.

Err, do you know that millions of freed black slaves were kept in a concentration camp, in Natchez, Mississippi, during and after the American civil war and they were all killed and buried there? That's US history for you.
I concur with the American's criminality part eerr just hearing about the concentration camp thingy shocked that's terrible....Hitler was no villain afterall he just didn't choose his strategy carefully enough - he was over ambitious. When I studied the evil machinations perpetrated during the slavery period on blacks I can't but totally agree with you about America's so-called Patriots dark-mindedness
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 1:51am On Mar 08, 2016
Ratello:

I concur with the American's criminality part eerr just hearing about the concentration camp thingy shocked that's terrible....Hitler was no villain afterall he just didn't choose his strategy carefully enough - he was over ambitious. When I studied the evil machinations perpetrated during the slavery period on blacks I can't but totally agree with you about America's so-called Patriots dark-mindedness

The place is called the "The Devil's Punchbowl".

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUG1K4ueSs
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Ratello: 2:04am On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

The place is called the "The Devil's Punchbowl".

Watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUG1K4ueSs
I just did shocked shocked truly nothing hidden now that will not be revealed for all to see later in life (including our private sins) the more reason we all should avoid evil machinations against others. Mississippi must be a cursed land, shocking to me was when the narrator was talking about the overnight growth of the concentration camp from 10,000 to about 200,000 shocked shocked now that's massive. Thanks for sharing....
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by SirShymexx: 2:36am On Mar 08, 2016
Ratello:

I just did shocked shocked truly nothing hidden now that will not be revealed for all to see later in life (including our private sins) the more reason we all should avoid evil machinations against others. Mississippi must be a cursed land, shocking to me was when the narrator was talking about the overnight growth of the concentration camp from 10,000 to about 200,000 shocked shocked now that's massive. Thanks for sharing....

That's basically the reason why African Americans are effed up. You can't go through this type of dehumanisation for centuries and still be normal. The fact that they survived and are still growing stronger shows how strong the black spirit is. This is why I always shake my head when folks post ignorant tripe on this forum.

I'm currently chatting to some AA chic I met like 4-5 years ago on holz and we've been keeping in touch since then. And she's like the only female I like discussing history with. Err, she's trying to convince me to accept feminism as the reality of today's black woman, with some historical background on how the era of Thomas Jefferson and his ilk destroyed black people forever and how our new reality is to accept the modern black woman. Check out the screen shots of her explanation (I'll delete the screen shots in a bit):

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by anonimi: 2:39am On Mar 08, 2016
Do we blacks even know our own history- hidden or not?
How many women of the same & other tribes were captured and raped during wars fought mainly to raid slaves whom will be sold to whites and Arabs?
Why don't we invest ourselves in digging up and chronicling our own history so we learn therefrom just as our white "superiors" are doing? Instead the very little we know of our own history is what the whites have documented for us.
I guess we are too focused on food, festivals and fucking! sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Nobody: 3:24am On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

That's why I say the purported Liberties and Human Rights organs like the UN are not genuine. They were created by suspicious characters who attained their wealth by committing the worst form of atrocities. Such ideals were coined to protect their gains.

Now we can't touch the lands they took from us because it's a violation of human rights. We can't do to them what they've done to us either. Because it's a violation of Human Rights! All the ideals of the Western civilization are protectionist measures -for their sins. Economic, social and political ideals.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Ratello: 11:26am On Mar 08, 2016
SirShymexx:

That's basically the reason why African Americans are effed up. You can't go through this type of dehumanisation for centuries and still be normal. The fact that they survived and are still growing stronger shows how strong the black spirit is. This is why I always shake my head when folks post ignorant tripe on this forum.

I'm currently chatting to some AA chic I met like 4-5 years ago on holz and we've been keeping in touch since then. And she's like the only female I like discussing history with. Err, she's trying to convince me to accept feminism as the reality of today's black woman, with some historical background on how the era of Thomas Jefferson and his ilk destroyed black people forever and how our new reality is to accept the modern black woman. Check out the screen shots of her explanation (I'll delete the screen shots in a bit):
Yo buddy I missed the screen shots though because I have left the stage just hopping in this morning....how was ur night bro
Re: Hidden History: Former US President, Thomas Jefferson, Raped A Young Black Girl by Nobody: 9:09am On Apr 15, 2016
Very educative Thread. Thank you SirShymexx

(1) (Reply)

Trusted 2-3odds / Will Start A Four Odd Code Daily For 10 Days / Ex-soccer Star, Uche Okechukwu And His Dad Flee Home For Fear Of Being Kidnapped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.