Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,865 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan (4927 Views)

Sultan Announces MOON Sighting For Ramadan / Practical Tips In Preparation For Ramadan / 6 Killed In Stampede For Ramadan Largesse In Gusau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by javalove(m): 3:42pm On Jul 17, 2009
I got this from a sister's page on Facebook
===============================

For most Muslims, Ramadan is family time. You get up together, eat Iftar together, pray together, etc. But what if you don't have your family near you?
Waking up in a lonely apartment and eating food you've sometimes burnt in an effort to catch Suhur in time are some of the realities of being a single Muslim in Ramadan. But there are ways to make Ramadan special when you're on your own. Here are a couple of ideas.

Please feel free to send your ideas as reply:

Establish a Suhur telephone tree
Get a couple of friends together and establish a telephone tree to wake each other up for Suhur. Make it a little exciting by adding some funny phrases every week that will really wake everyone up (e.g. "ASSALAMU ALIAKUM" This is ya Suhur Sister/Bellowing Brother calling. Rise and shine y'all for some morning grub Ó).

Invite people over for Iftar
Even if even you couldn't eat the food the last time you cooked, invite people over for Iftar. The food isn't the thing. The blessing is in the company, and you'll be rewarded for feeding everyone.

Attend prayers at the local mosque
Even if the Imam's recitation isn't the best and the behavior of other Muslims can be more than annoying, try to attend Tarawih prayers organized by your local mosque. While praying alone in peace and quiet is great, praying shoulder-to-shoulder with other Muslims with whom you have nothing in common except your faith is a unique and uplifting experience.

Keep the Quran playing when you are alone at home
It's often tempting to keep the TV or radio on when we're alone at home to avoid the silence. This Ramadan, find a CD or cassette of a Quran reciter you like and play it during those moments when you want to fill your place with some sound.

Eat properly- don't resort to burnt noodles, toast and egg
Not eating Suhur and Iftar properly will make you crabby, irritated and sick (as opposed to healthy, wealthy and wise). Establish a personal Ramadan meal plan. Choose healthy, easy-to-make recipes so you're not scrambling at the last minute for something to eat.

Decorate your crib
Add some festivity to your spare surroundings by dressing the place up with a Ramadan banner, frames and others. Even after a rough day, coming home to a decorated home is a boost to the spirits.

Pick and pursue Ramadan goals
Choose at least three goals to pursue this Ramadan. Whether it's curbing a bad habit or starting a good one, doing this will help you focus and work harder this month to change for the better. It takes 21 days to establish a good habit. With Ramadan, we've got 30. Why not make the best of it by picking up the good?

Remember to send your ideas as reply, we shall succeed inshaAllah
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Frizy(m): 9:41am On Jul 21, 2009
@javalove

Salam, please is the thread you talked about? I accessed it on the homepage but I don't think it's there anymore.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by javalove(m): 5:31pm On Aug 02, 2009
ok. . . lets talk by mil then. . .email is lukman@jajitech.net
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by muhsin(m): 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2009
@Javalove,

May Allah, the Exalted, bless you.

BTW, I may some day use that your e-mail. Any objection? cheesy
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by fizzybaba(m): 5:59pm On Aug 14, 2009
spot on.

like it
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by steaming(f): 4:42pm On Aug 17, 2009
in btw, when is ramadan starting?
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by shubbie: 4:43pm On Aug 17, 2009
Salam,  I live with my family in coventry, UK. If any muslim brother/sister is interested in having Iftar with us during the Ramadan, you are most welcome. You can contact me at shuaib@ymail.com

Jazakallah
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by tunyus(m): 4:48pm On Aug 17, 2009
Alhamdulilahi the blessed month is here again this is wishing my fellow muslim nairalander the very best that life as to bring in this holy month
RAMADHAN KHAREEM
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Biliamin(m): 5:41pm On Aug 17, 2009
This is quite inteesting and enlightening

Jazah kum llah Khaira
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by anishe(m): 5:50pm On Aug 17, 2009
i am presently based in port harcourt while my families are in Lagos, i would like to link up with any muslim based in PH so that we can plan ramadhan together
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by layuns(m): 6:17pm On Aug 17, 2009
Alhamdulillah at least ramadan is here and some fellows are takin some bold step to enlighten am a kinda happy cos its always good to have some pity in our doins,
Thanks
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by bolseas(f): 6:19pm On Aug 17, 2009
Assalam Alaikum,

@op, thanks for sharing.

in btw, when is ramadan starting?
Janzakumllah

i heard that ramadan will start on Friday, 21st August, 2009 (dis friday)

Ma'salaam

(how time flies)
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by taosola(m): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2009
Jasakumulahu Hairan for this inspiring messages to all true muslims in the house
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 17, 2009
Salam all
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by eedu247: 7:32pm On Aug 17, 2009
i want a steps to posting in this home page
weldone for you work. mail me superbedu247@gmail.com
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by babs787(m): 7:51pm On Aug 17, 2009
i heard that ramadan will start on Friday, 21st August, 2009 (dis friday)

I pray they would not fix a day like they used to.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by deezah(f): 8:23pm On Aug 17, 2009
As-Salamu alaikum,
Thanks for this post. It is really enlightening. I also heard Ramadan starts 21st August. May Allah bestow on us all the blessings of the Holy month. Ramadan Kareem.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by tainot2002(m): 9:42pm On Aug 17, 2009
babs787:

I pray they would not fix a day like they used to.
[/quot

i also heard that it will commence on friday.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by adapcee(m): 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2009
As-salam alaikum,please does any brother or sister here has a link to download a full quran (mobile version)?
May Allah see us true,
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by PurestBoy(m): 11:35pm On Aug 17, 2009
adapcee:

As-salam alaikum,please does any brother or sister here has a link to download a full quran (mobile version)?
May Allah see us true,

Though I'm not a muslim but I believe religion section in www.download.com can help you out.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by 68816419: 11:36pm On Aug 17, 2009
ada: why now, should hv done tht b4 Ramadan tongue
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by ajetii(m): 12:41am On Aug 18, 2009
May Allah see us true,

I have a more specific link go to the download section on http://www.guidedways.com/index.php

You can download a complete quran for most mobile devices, i downloaded for my iphone.

You will also find other useful resources on the site.  May Allah reward the  one who started this thread. Amin

Ma salam.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Alveez(m): 7:39am On Aug 18, 2009
thanks for the thread may allah reward you abundantly, but i heard it is starting on saturday. what do you have 2 say about this.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by olalekan1(m): 9:45am On Aug 18, 2009
I am excited with this thread. May Almighty Allah bless the poster and everyone that send one or two replies. Salam alaekum
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by lanres1(m): 11:17am On Aug 18, 2009
Thank Allah for His mercy and the gift of live.We pray that He spare our lives, accept all our acts as an ibadat(amin).

As ramadan approaches,i want us all to remember the following etiquettes of Fasting

Etiquettes of Fasting

Every fasting person should abide to its etiquettes, as the fast is not whole without them.

Among the etiquettes, the one with utmost importance, is to safeguard the tongue from lying,
cursing and swearing people, interfere with the personal lives of others, safeguard the eyes
and ears from seeing and hearing things of unlawful nature, and that of which has nothing to do with himself.

Following that, it is necessary to protect the stomach from eating forbidden food, or those of syubhat nature, especially during the breaking of fasts; it is required of him to strive and look for that of which is halal as supplements for breaking the fast.

Some of the salaf said: If you are fasting, be mindful of the thing you break your fast with, and whose place you are breaking it. This matter encourages us to be mindful and be concerned towards the food for our breaking of fast.

Furthermore, every fasting person should protect all his organs from committing sins, and repel from every matter that does not involve him. With that, then only will his fast be whole and pure. How many people, who fast, tiring their body because of hunger and thirst then lets his organs sin. It spoils his fast and the tiredness would be in vain, like that explained by the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him: “How many people who fast, (but) does not get anything from his fast but hunger and thirst.”

Abandoning the prohibited has been an obligation at all times upon peoples either fasting or not. But for those who are fasting, it is more enforced to protect themselves, as to him it is very much encouraged and promoted.

The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said: “Fasting is a fortress, and if one of you is fasting, it is required that he not speak dirty, not act unpleasant, and not transgress a ruling; if people curse him, or tempt an argument, he must say: Verily I am fasting.”

Among the other etiquettes of fasting are; it is essential that a fasting person not sleep too much during the day, and eat too much during the night. It is encouraged to be average in the two matters mentioned above, so that he feels the agony of hunger and thirst, then with it that his self could be disciplined, his lusts could be diminished and his heart would be enlightened. Here is where the secrets and intentions of fasting really are.

In addition, it is required that he abandon every wealth in every sense, and make it a habit to have food and drinks that builds appetites and that are delicious, as that which we had explained earlier. The least is that he does not exceed in spending for food in the month of Ramadhan, or even match that of his normal spending in other months. That is the least that he is to do. Otherwise, in disciplining the self by refraining from every desire would leave a positive mark in forming the light of enlightenment to the heart, and this could only be accomplished only in the month of Ramadhan.

For those who treat Ramadhan as a tradition and habit for feasting and fulfill every desire and accomplishing every lust that was never attended to in other months, then they have been deceived by syaitan that has always bear grudge against humanity, up to the point that every blessings of fasting has been lost, and thus not leaving any effects of the fast in enlightenment and unveiling, humbleness towards Allah Most High and modesty in His presence, enjoying requesting to Him and reading His words in His Book and remembering Him at all times.

When living Ramadhan, the salaf rahmatullahi-‘alaihim makes it a habit to minimize their daily (worldly) practice, suppressing the yearning of their desires and craving of their lusts. In addition to that, they constantly increase their devotional practices specifically in the month of Ramadhan, when they are already well-known for their devotions at all times.

Among the other etiquettes are that one should not get too involved in the worldly matters in the month of Ramadhan. On the contrary, he should concentrate in devotion towards Allah as much as possible, and making remembrance of Allah at every opportunity he has. Not to exert into worldly matters save that for his own needs and the needs of his dependents; like his wife and child etc. This is for the reason that Ramadhan when compared to other months, is like that Friday is compared to other days. Thus it is only proper that every believers single out Friday and the month of Ramadhan for his preparations of the Last Day.

Among that which is supererogatory for those who are fasting is to hasten the breaking of the fast (when it is time). It is highly recommended that it is commenced with dates, if not available, with water. The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, breaks his fast prior to performing his Maghrib prayers. He said: “My community would always be in goodness, when they haste in breaking their fast and delaying in eating sahur (supper prior to fasting).”

It is clear from this tradition that delaying the supper meal of those who fasts is also a recommended act.

It is advised for fasting people to make it a habit to eat a small amount, not eating too much, so that the effect of fasting could be experienced upon him, then would he receive the secrets and intentions of fasting; i.e. disciplining the self and diminishing the desires and lust. It is because that hunger and the emptying of the stomach leaves positive marks to enlighten the heart and providing strength to the limbs of the body to perform devotional practices. On the contrary, a full-stomach (satiety) is the cause for all heedlessness and unmindful heart, and causing the laziness to perform devotional practices.

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, had said: “There is no other container that is filled by the children of Adam worse than that of his stomach. Sufficient is for the children of Adam a few feedings to sustain his life. If this is not enough, then let a third (of the capacity of his stomach) be for his food, a third for his drink and a third for his breathing.”

It is said by some philosophers: When the stomach it full, then hungry is the rest of the limbs. And when the stomach is hungry, then full (energized) are the rest of the limbs.

I say: If the limbs feel hungry, then it implies that it would request and give priority to fulfilling desires and lusts. During which, the tongue wants to speak, the eyes wants to see and the ears want to hear, and likewise to the rest of the limbs, each wanting to fulfill their desires and lusts when the stomach is full. But when the stomach is empty, the limbs would be at peace, as which was linked to the fullness of the limbs earlier. Events like these are constantly happening and thus are self-evident enough. And God know best!

Among that which is highly recommended is to invite others (who are fasting) for the breaking of fast, even with just a few dates or some water.

The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, had said: “Whoever invites fasting person to break their fast, then for him the rewards of a fasting person; not less than the reward even a little.”

That is: A person who invites another to break the fast would receive rewards equivalent to the fasting person invited. And the reward is only for the person who invites to break the fast only, even with a glass of water. As for those who invite after the breaking of fast at other times, then he is not entitled to the enormous reward mentioned above. He would only receive the rewards for inviting to a meal only, and the rewards for which is also huge. The rewards of feeding a fasting person, with whatever food, until the fasting person overcomes his hunger; there is a huge and numerous rewards.

-Translated from the Malay Translation by al-Ustadz Ahmad bin Semait of An-Nashaaih Ad-Diniyah Wal-Washaaya Al-Imaaniyah by Imam ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Alwi al-Haddad
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 18, 2009
Ramahdan starts on Friday the 21st in Nigeria and on Saturday the 22nd in the rest of the world.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by azeeza(f): 11:52am On Aug 18, 2009
may almigty ALLAH grant our wishes and shower on us the blessing in the holy month.some one shout AMIN.SALAM ALEIKUM
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by mukina2: 12:29pm On Aug 18, 2009
smiley
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by shubbie: 12:55pm On Aug 18, 2009
Salam Alaykum,

Ma-shallah, Ramadan is most likely to start on friday in the UK as well.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by Nezan(m): 2:48pm On Aug 18, 2009
Wishing all muslims on NL happy ramadan.
Re: How Singles Should Prepare For Ramadan by baloo4u2(m): 2:49pm On Aug 18, 2009
Salam , ramadan is likely 2 commence on  saturday while tarawih is friday,coz prophet muhammed[S.A.W] says ramadan can not commence on a doubting day i.e OJO IYE MEJI.One of the muslim scholar in d country also testify 2 saturday and tarawih as friday i even spoke 2 a friend a couples of hours ago in d northern part of the country and he said d sametin.May ALLAH in his blessings bless us all and spare our lives so dat we can all carry out the task ahead of us.RAMADAN KAREEM.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Tell us Tafseer Sessions Available In Your Area During Ramadan / The Shocking Video Shias Don't Want You To See / What Is Islamic View Of Banking In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.