Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,900 members, 7,802,916 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:12 AM

Glo Midnight Talk - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Glo Midnight Talk (11163 Views)

MTN Unlimited Midnight Browsing / NCC Directs MTN To Scrap 10 Kobo Per Second Plans Effective Midnight / MTN PROMO: How To Get 500% Bonus Till Midnight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Glo Midnight Talk by aikayboy(m): 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2006
I beieve i would be right in expressing the fact that the night is no longer when men must sleep again with Glo's Midnight Talk Promo. It is a total blessing for me as all I have to do now is use one minute and ask someone to stay awake until 12 midnight and then we can talk until we run out of topics to talk about. initially, i din't believe it would work or last for that matter, but when u make a 3-hour call with only 3 naira, u know there must be a God or Glo somewhere. on average, in the last one month, i hav slept at 3.30 a.m., even if i have had to wake up at 6 a.m. to start my day. it is just a real blessing for me.

however, there hav been a lot of observed drawbacks with the Midnight Talk promo. first, and i believe most importantly, connection is almost impossible. it is like Glo is waitin for 12 midnight at which time it purposely makes it difficult for anyone to make calls at that time. up till 11:55 p.m. calls go freely and smoothly, but once it is 12, u r on ur own. it could be very upsetting at times, and i don't subscribe to the popular opinion that this is because of the volume of traffic at that time. that is just idle talk because there is no way the volume of traffic at that time could be more than at any time during the day, and yet calls are made freely and easily during the day.

another drawback is that people do not sleep at night anymore. for some of us, any hope of sleep is banished because of the amount of calls coming in at that time. interestingly, it is not just young people taking advantage of this opportunity as one of my lecturers recently asked me how to activate the feature. one night after a 3-hour discussion with a dear friend of mine, i was on the edge of unconsciousness and grogginess, when another person called me to initiate anotha conversation. i swore that if i touched that phone, let my phone catch fire. even though to be honest, i haven't allowed many people to sleep either.

please input on this issue is welcome, especially on the issue of the faulty connection. ur comments, please.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by twinstaiye(m): 4:06pm On Nov 06, 2006
Yeah, you are right. Mostly, I have contrived the habit of putting my phone on vibration, so that i can sleep. It is a good thing though, the side effect is calls are not easy to put through nowadays. for more on this visit http://twinstaiye..com/2006/10/aftermath-of-gsm-free-calls.html
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by dominobaby(f): 8:17am On Nov 07, 2006
True that.
However, on days i really am tired and don't want to talk i just switch off, cos i would always be tempted to pick it if it were on vibration.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by aikayboy(m): 1:02pm On Nov 09, 2006
i don't know if i'm the only one that people do not call until past midnight. my phone could be so silent during the day, but at night i'm forced to plug in the charger so that i can continue a conversation. now, i also set appointments for that time of the night, so if u call me during the day, i'll be asking u if u would be awake after midnight so we can talk at length without any worries about if it is 1 minute and 59 seconds or 2 minutes and 2 seconds.

by the way, did u guys realize that Glo stops giving us free text once we switched packages? me, i don't know about u guys but i need my free text badly.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by jesuseun1(m): 12:02am On Nov 11, 2006
CAN ANYONE HELP ,HOW DO I ACTIVATE MY GLO LINE FOR THE FREE NIGHT CALLS.PLS HELP!
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by DrTee1(m): 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2006
aikayboy, your writeup was so funny. But men you're really a hilarious persn. I don't laugh too often when I read things, but your writeup got me on my temple! You're absolutely right.I use glo too and men! Micheal Adenuga is the best thing that has happened to the Telecoms sector in Nigeria!
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by kasimusa(m): 4:51pm On Nov 16, 2006
Men, Glo are d best. actually once is 12pm, b4 u call it is sometimes frustrating. I hope Glo should take note of this. unlike MTN, d free call do not have much stress.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by aikayboy(m): 6:35pm On Nov 16, 2006
thanks Dr. Tee for the compliments, really appreciate them. i didn't realize it formally, but MTN calls actually go faster than Glo calls at the midnight hours. it's not enough for me to switch over anyway, i appreciate Glo especially for its innovativeness. i'm still not sleeping much at night sha. am i the only one that misses my free texts?
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by DrTee1(m): 9:10pm On Nov 19, 2006
aikayboy, I also don't get free messages anymore. It has also become completely impossible to call customer care ever since such calls became free. What is ur glo number anyway? Disturb me by calling 08057323467.Five mins anyway!I don't talk for too long@nyt.Take care!
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by toksdara(m): 10:03am On Nov 21, 2006
I agree with you that the emergence of Glo Mobile into the telecommunications industry has really changed the industry a lot, especially the GSM Arena. However, as regards the Midnight calls and difficulty in making calls, I think I agree with the fact that it has to do with high traffic levels for the following reasons.

You might want to argue that the volume of traffic during the day exceeds that of the night. If you said that a year a go, I'll definitely agree, but for as long as the free calls promo exists, I'll say no. Remember that during the day, many calls are made for SHORT or BRIEF periods. So as soon as some people stop talking, others are starting. So the rhythm of call initiation and call termination are more or less BALANCED. But, at night, there is no balance, because all the call initiations are starting almost at once (12 midnight), so while those who start early are able to get calls thru, oda's have to wait for someone to end a call or loose the call due to signal drop or any other reason for another person to get through for a call.

Also, your location matters a lot. Someone staying on any university campus should not expect to make calls easily at that period since almost the whole campus will be awake and trying to do the same thing. There may be only a single base station or mast in that kind of area which will be over loaded with traffic. Don't forget that these equipment have their maximum capacity.

When comparing the ease to make calls easily within MTN or Glo, consider these. Recent statistical figures have proved MTN and Glo are very close in terms of number of subscribers. Furthermore, MTN should have more businessmen or executives on board its network because of its corporate figure, so most executives will not care about free calls not to talk of using them. On the other hand, Glo has more youths on its network (if I'm right), so more of its subscribers will be jostling to make calls.

You may also consider the fact that on Glo, even with 0.0 Naira balance, you can make free calls while with MTN, one needs a minimum of 100 Naira to make free calls at night. Glo or Mtn has no reason to stop calls from going thru cos they are intra network calls and it doesn't cost them a thing. You may notice that calls with the network are difficult while those to other networks are quite easy. I should think that's because intra and inter network calls pass thru different channels. So while one is completely free the other is completely busy.

Glo is ready for 3G rollout which its partners, Alcatel have already tested in Nigeria. They are only waiting for the Nigeria Communications Commission to approve their 3G rollout. With the combination of their 3G technology and the completed phases of their fibre optic cable backbone (Glo Express), network congestion should really be reduced within the network and probably, outside the network. I said 'probably' outside the network because the ability of a network to terminate calls into another network depends on the number of E1's of the network to be terminated on. So, initially when Glo started and where not able to easily terminate calls with MTN and former VMobile, but MTN and Vmobile were able to terminate calls easily into Glo's network, it was not necessarily Glo's fault but the other networks who MAY or may not have conspired to make business difficult for the new entrant by not releasing sufficient number if E1s for the new network. But since Glo opened up enough E1's, the other two could reach the network with ease. Thank God all that interconnect issues are over now.

As for difficulty in getting thru to Customer Care, I think I want to blame NCC for that because they were the ones who forced all networks not to charge customers for customer care calls. When MTN and Glo charged a fixed charge of 25 and 20 Naira respectively, it was for a reason. To make sure ppl had real or serious probs b4 calling. Even when they charged, I have heard of some ppl who called just to have a chat, not to talk of now that it is completely free.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by twinstaiye(m): 10:18am On Nov 21, 2006
TOKSDARA, thanks for your explanations, it is really educating and soothing. However, I dont want to believe it is the fault of NCC as regards 'calling customer care' NCC does his work by taking care of customer's grievances. I do not see why glo could not make his customer care line free to his customers. The fact that some people will call to make frivolous excuse is not tenable, I wonder who will call just for the fun of it, besides, we are in technology age, a lot of customer's problems could be solved either by SMS or through the internet which you people in GLO do not make available.
On another development, your analysis of the Glo network makes me believe you are working there, can you please therefore let your organisation know that some of us who loved the network very much are beginning to think of migration to other network because of their network drop calls rate. Users of Glo network nowadays will know what I am saying, especially during the peak period. When you put a call through, it is always dropping, and no any reason, not even a sound to tell you it is dropping, it is really annoying. One other annoying thing is that, Glo did not deem it fit either by sms or by advert in the newspaper to tell the consumer that it is sorry and at least offer apology. Glo has never been like this before, and their network has never been like this before, some of us that has been using it right from inception know that. Perhaps, one may have to be force to believe the insinuation being carried around that ever since your Chairman left Nigeria, Glo network has not been the same again.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by drogba(m): 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2006
I completely agree with @Toksdara's theory about the midnight calls and believe the problem with glo has to do with the issue of conjestion.

Its so hard to believe that glo was able to catch up with MTN within a space of less than 3 years. I even believe that the recent price slash started by MTN was because of its threatened leadership position by glo.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by toksdara(m): 9:09am On Nov 22, 2006
I DO NOT WORK AT GLO! Generally, I love ICT and related stuff. I'm only a fan of the company and I share its visions and appreciate all it has achieved even though it came two years later than other operators. It has really transformed the industry and I think its only close rival is MTN, it has passed Celtel a long time ago.  I know people who work there but I don't. I just finished secondary school in July and will be resuming at a University any moment now.

As for the drop in calls, it's something that happens in every network. Don't forget they are migrating to 3G, so they may even be changing or working on some of the base stations. When calls drop, you should try to identify the fault carefully. It could be from the other party's network if you notice you still have full bars after the drop, or it could be from your network if you notice empty bars or bars that are just coming up, or it could be due to poor strength of either parties handset to hold on to the signal well enough (either due to low battery or just a poor quality handset). So, that could be the reason for the fluctuation in the quality of service, at least you confirmed it was not like that before. It will soon stop sha! Besides what part of Lagos did you notice that?

As for the whole Adenuga issue, I think it's all political. Just as the issue exploded fast, that's how fast it will die. I heard sometime ago that Adenuga is already back into the country and nothing has happened to him. So all these big men know how to settle their issues. Politics affects every sector of any economy one way or another. Many big men in the society stole money. I am not supporting him, but a least he has invested his in this country. His companies are usually one of the highest paying in the industry. He is empowering Nigerians when you consider how many people his company employs. About EFCC's allegation about the ownership of Glo, a school of thought believes that it's because Obj is angry with Adenuga for two reasons:
1) For not supporting 3rd term and
2) For not fully participating in Transcorp like Dangote, Onyuike-Okereke(Director General of the Nigerian Stock exchange), Otedola, etc. He was ready to give them money but not participate fully. I'm sure you must have heard of the about the claim that Obasanjo Holdings Limited owned 200 million units of Transcorp shares. I want to believe that because EFCC did not think of questioning Adenuga, Dangote and others when they where donating hundreds of millions of Dollars money towards Obasanjo's private Library Project,  What do you think? What do you think of Obj-Atiku saga? It's all part of Nigeria's dirty politics. Personally, I think Transcorp may fail if care is not taken because it's too political. To many rich men from different sectors all coming together. Don't forget that all these people have different orientations about handling a business so quarrels may come up here and there. Even Obj who is part of them may want to use his dictatorship attitude in business like he is doing in a democratic dispensation. EFCC may just be Obj's puppet either completely or to an extent.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by DrTee1(m): 3:57am On Dec 05, 2006
toksdara, you are a beautiful person. I appreciate your brains.I don't care whether you are male or female but the gist is that i am bowled over by a fresh secondary school grad with knowledge as vast as yours.Honestly I'll like to communicte with you personally.You could reach me on tundeakinbinu@yahoo.com or 08057323467. Whether you decide to speak with me or not;take it from me,you are an impressive young person.You are destined to go places!All the best.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by jammin(m): 4:14am On Dec 05, 2006
this is a thread for people that are extremely cheap that they will wait until midnight to make calls. If i was a woman and a guy that was courting me said i had to wait until midnight b4 we could talk, i would laff him to scorn. cheesy being a cheapo is not the way to go. 1N/min but you cant get through because the system cannot sustain the traffic.

Even the promotion is a marketing survey tool. Its design to calculate the demand for such a service at a discounted rate, and then they might package it as part of a user plan, selling you more inconvenience in the name of savings. grin
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by chistiana(f): 11:17am On Dec 05, 2006
jesu seun:

CAN ANYONE HELP ,HOW DO I ACTIVATE MY GLO LINE FOR THE FREE NIGHT CALLS.PLS HELP!

Just dial 125 and listen to the instructions, both for family calls and the rest,
@ topic
I wonder why they stop giving sms, even wen u recharge no more 50 naira promo, they ve stopped all just for the sake of free calls, but all the same u keep dialing before the No u wanna call as gone thru,

the only advantage is that u call with out no one disturbing till an hour, and because its also free.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNH I GUESS GLO WITH PRIDE.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by woleprof(m): 4:12pm On Dec 05, 2006
Now all of u can hav sweetest dream now because glo mobile has stopped its free midnite call cry cry cry cry
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by chistiana(f): 4:24pm On Dec 05, 2006
really, i never knew, actually i dont really fancy it @ first, i need my sms, text mesages.
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by yahoo2(m): 4:42pm On Dec 06, 2006
They now charge 10k per sec between 12 and 5 am
Re: Glo Midnight Talk by drogba(m): 5:00pm On Dec 06, 2006
I'm very sure MTN will soon follow suit.

(1) (Reply)

A New Trick Scammers Use To Divert Your Phone Account Balance / Working / London Used Blackberry Phones Only: Bold, Curve,storm,javelin Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.