Stats: 3,147,915 members, 7,799,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (43301 Views)

Igbo Stereotypes Nigerians Are Tired Of Hearing / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Some Nigerians Need To Drop / 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop (2) (3) (4)

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Raziii(m): 10:27am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:
Abeggi, everybody knows Igbos are slaves to money. Yes, there are a few exceptions but generally a typical igbo man will do anything, absolutely anything and everything, to acquire wealth! grin
drop a thousand naira note here and this guy i am quoting will join the 'fight to death' just to get it. So its only the igbos that are into arm robbery? Or Rituals? Your politicians stealing here and there are only igbos right? Its been confirmed that the people sourcing for wealth illegally are all igbos right? Pls this notion that its only the igbos that are slaves to money in Nigeria, where did u guys get the fact from?

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by JahJaa(m): 10:28am On Mar 11, 2016
funkyibodude:
Fact number 6: Igbos are the most talked about ethnic group on Nairaland...
Gbam!!! grin

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 10:28am On Mar 11, 2016
Chinekepikin:

5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop

There are a handful of stereotypes that Africans hold against each other and this is not surprising due to the multi-cultural structure of our society. Nigeria has over 500 ethnic groups. Among the 500, about 9 languages are extinct while only three are -Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba- leading the pack, and each one of these tribal groups have their peculiarities.

The Igbos of Southeastern, Nigeria are one of the leading ethnic groups in the country. They can be found in Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, Imo, and Abia. Despite these peculiarities, a handful of Nigerians have some misconceptions about this amazing ethnic group.
Jovago.com, Africa’s No 1 hotel booking portal identifies 5 stereotypes that Nigerians have about persons of Igbo extraction and offers facts that debunk them.

They know nothing but business

Let’s give it to the Igbos, when it comes to business, there is no contest. At major markets, they are dominant. In fact, in places where you do not imagine that you will find them, they are always there. But, there is more to this people than business. You find them in politics, literature, education, economy and other sectors. Late Nnamdi Azikiwe, was a businessman, first prime minister of Nigeria and a nationalist as well as a lawyer. The literary lord, the man of words and the author of the evergreen bookThings Fall Apart that made the world change their perception about African literature, late Chinua Achebe was not a businessman, same with Chiwetel Ejiofor, and also Chimamanda Adichie. The list is endless. Take it or leave it, no matter the field an Igbo Man ventures into, the business trait tails him.

All Igbo women are light skinned

There is no argument about Igbo women being light skinned but the stereotype is tagging all Igbo women light skinned which is not the case. There are chocolate, ebony, and dark skinned ladies among them. In addition, light skinned women are not restricted to Igbo women alone but it cut across all Nigerian tribes. When next you see a light skinned lady, do not make up your mind that she is Igbo!

They love ‘Ego‘ also known as ‘Money‘

Who does not love money? Money is desired by almost everyone in varying degrees. Many say you cannot date an Igbo girl if you do not have money but these preconceived notions are not entirely based on facts. Rather than singling out a particular ethnic group to castigate, this is a blanket perception for all ethnic groups. Same thing for the men. There should be no ethnic colouration when it comes to making money.

It’s expensive to marry an Igbo woman

Nigerian women are beautiful, expensive and sophisticated. A man should be happy to marry an Igbo woman because she is not cheap. A man should be proud to provide everything on the list presented to him by the parents to show that he is a ‘man’, however, there is always room for negotiation. So, the stereotype that before you marry an Igbo woman, you need to bring an arm and a leg only applies when the groom’s family are not masters at striking a good bargain.

All Igbos have left their villages for Lagos

Lagos is the melting pot for various ethnic groups and the commercial heartbeat of Nigeria as a result, the state is bound to be peopled by different tribes. However, expressing the thought that all Igbos have emptied their various states to reside in Lagos is laughable and wrong. There are individuals who run thriving businesses in these different south-eastern states that have never visited Lagos.

http://nigerianpilot.com/5-igbo-stereotypes-every-nigerian-must-drop/

@OP Igbos includes Rivers state, Delta state etc, so stop the bigot because you can't leave Igbos from South South.

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Pillyportions(f): 10:30am On Mar 11, 2016
davodyguy:

They made people hate them cos of their own hatred
wow! It takes one to know one.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Demily(m): 10:31am On Mar 11, 2016
delightf:
You re a big lier........I am dark all igbos re nt light,
Igbos goto school wwe don't only deal with business
U pple shud thank d igbos we open ur eyes to see
Igbos goto school we hustle we re nt lazy
Me here now am working nd am doing businessa I don't depend on man b4 I get myh income.u hardly see an igbo man playing lotto monday to sunday without looking 4 useful thing todo,
Is yorubas women dat love cream so mind ur mouth nd watch b4 u post,if u goto I.land now u ll see igbos everywere business.isnot as if they don't goto school. We do.
I am pround of IGBOS
They re had working both their man nd woman
All IGBOs here UP NDI IGBO
seriously Igbos go 2 skul. cry
delightf:
You re a big lier........I am dark all igbos re nt light,
Igbos goto school wwe don't only deal with business
U pple shud thank d igbos we open ur eyes to see
Igbos goto school we hustle we re nt lazy
Me here now am working nd am doing businessa I don't depend on man b4 I get myh income.u hardly see an igbo man playing lotto monday to sunday without looking 4 useful thing todo,
Is yorubas women dat love cream so mind ur mouth nd watch b4 u post,if u goto I.land now u ll see igbos everywere business.isnot as if they don't goto school. We do.
I am pround of IGBOS
They re had working both their man nd woman
All IGBOs here UP NDI IGBO
seriously Igbos go 2 skul.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by nijabazaar: 10:32am On Mar 11, 2016
Naija9090:

Go and tell her she not Igbo, and see how she will slap that divisive yoruba in you. I heard one the other day say Okonjo Iweala is not Igbo...she is from SS. LOL!

Ikwerre is Igbo...same language. I understand Ikwerre Igbo than Ebonyi Igbo. Get it!

Yeah, come to think of it...i, too, undertand ikwerre igbo morethan Ebonyi igbo, i wonder why is that?

No doubt, the version of Ebonyi igbo is more fluid and almost like music.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by freecocoa(f): 10:32am On Mar 11, 2016
I am proud to be igbo and yes, I loooooveeee me some serious money, if you say you don't, then may poverty be your lot. cheesy

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Kakamorufu(m): 10:33am On Mar 11, 2016
Hahahaha. My guy, no be small thing o.
wrongnumber:
Anytime i see owerri woman na run i dey. How man go spend over 1miliion for list alone when the girl sef no be virgin.I go prefer make all the men wey don chop am kon share for the list.lubbish and ronsence
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Johnsown1(m): 10:34am On Mar 11, 2016
peerless0012:
Igbos are not popular in Nigeria, they are notorious. Quote me anywhere
Woaw was the man that was arrested in America that tries to plant bomb in dia soil an Igbo man
Who are boko haram
Is sani abacha an igbo man whom smuggle $231m into swiss account
Is that illiterate that sign an agreement with Cameroonian to take over bakasi an Igbo man
They are uncountable.
So niggar go and study stop comment on what u don't know. # end time illitrate

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Kakamorufu(m): 10:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Kee kwanu enyi m nwanyi
Adaure4ever:
Thats their business if they want to stop the stereotype or not.
I am a Proud Igbo anytime, anyday and anywhere. Ndewo nu o.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Bimpe29: 10:36am On Mar 11, 2016
Hmn! But, these are the facts Igbo sons and daughters acknowledge. No one hate money, but an Igbo person loves it more and their daughters are more expensive to marry. No sentiment as Ngozi from Anambra agree with me as I am typing my reply to this post.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by hensben(m): 10:36am On Mar 11, 2016
Johnsown1:

Are you okay at all, did u understand what the discussion is all about or u just want to write sometin
of course I understand what the discussion is all about. And I repeat, ss/nd are the true Nigerians not those 3 useless tribes that are full of haters and 'tribalist'

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Cherryf(f): 10:37am On Mar 11, 2016
Hmmm u guys ar confused
apart from igbos tel me any gud tribe in dis country
is it d huasa dos dt don regad ppls lives or d yorubas dt hv phd in witchcraft u ppl shud b grateful to God for givn u Igbos if not dey wud hv sold dis country since..

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by AsanwaKC(f): 10:39am On Mar 11, 2016
[quote author=blackpanda post=43665068]Abeggi, everybody knows Igbos are slaves to money. Yes, there are a few exceptions but generally a typical igbo man will do anything, absolutely anything and everything, to acquire wealth! grin[/

IGBOS:
Dear MONEY, since all the ethnic groups in Nigeria, agree & constantly confirm that it is only the IGBOS that LOVE you so much. Please rise and visit every Igbo person struggling anywhere around the globe...visit them wit all your different clothes like DOLLARS, POUNDS, EUROS and NAIRA. You may leave out other TRIBES since they keep denying u in public .. Amen!....
If u are proudly lgbo, let me hear a thunderous Igbotic Ameeeeeen!!!.
Ngwa biko bless another nwa afor'Igbo with this message. Gudmornin all

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Kakamorufu(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2016
freecocoa:
I am proud to be igbo and yes, I loooooveeee me some serious money, if you say you don't, then may poverty be your lot. cheesy
bia were ego my baby
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by honourhim: 10:40am On Mar 11, 2016
YelloweWest:
Is monalisa chinda igbo?

She is not
She is ikwerre from Rivers state
Where did u see Mona Lisa Chinda in that post? He wrote Chimamanda Adichie pls. Carry your Ikwerre born Monalisa chinda comot for road. We don't care about her.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by sammyscholar(m): 10:40am On Mar 11, 2016
You seriously have nothing to say. You are Just swaying around.
kettykin:

Is it me that is mixing things up or you that has fails to understand that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form of hypocrisy that will make hypocrites twinge with fear even with clearly explained instances. Again I am emphasising to you that behind the stereotyping of igbos lies the worst form hypocrisy driven by false patriotism, someone accusing igbos of doing anything for money but closes his eyes to the blatant lootocracy going on in his states and the numerous ritual forests and gardens all littered in his front yard is the height and width of hypocrisy.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Tellemall: 10:41am On Mar 11, 2016
SirJeffry:
Tell them my dear, let them "ear" if they "ave" "hear".grin

Lol!

They " ave " "eared".
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by nijabazaar: 10:42am On Mar 11, 2016
[quote author=AsanwaKC post=43671896][/quote]

Peotry...Amen, Dear money heed this prayer, clothe us in dollars since its rising, pounds is very okay too.

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Kakamorufu(m): 10:42am On Mar 11, 2016
Igbo love dough, same way hausa love their cattles [color=#000099][/color]
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 10:42am On Mar 11, 2016
As a matter of fact ppl are actually perculiar, so most of the habits mentioned like love of money is actually right. It's called the laws of homogenous spicies.(Birds of a feather) creation classifies common ppl and converges them in a particular place. That's why an egba man, and Ijebu man even as a Nigerian we are perculiar.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by kingvectorv(m): 10:43am On Mar 11, 2016
Lol....

[size=42] IPOB tins[/size]
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by wiseoneking: 10:49am On Mar 11, 2016
hemartins:
I'm not Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa.
I am Nigerian
Who asked you?
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 10:52am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:
Abeggi, everybody knows Igbos are slaves to money. Yes, there are a few exceptions but generally a typical igbo man will do anything, absolutely anything and everything, to acquire wealth! grin
problem? or who does not want to live a comfortable life.just say they are hard working.
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Tjpromise(m): 10:53am On Mar 11, 2016
onye nwem pls baptise me n all ma ibo brothers n sisters wit Kuwait dinar, Jordanian dinar, pound sterling, euros, n dollars, ka ihere mee ndi iro anyi, ebe ha si na so anyi huru ego na-anya
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Johnsown1(m): 10:55am On Mar 11, 2016
hensben:
of course I understand what the discussion is all about. And I repeat, ss/nd are the true Nigerians not those 3 useless tribes that are full of haters and 'tribalist'
U still dont get me and ur making a fool or urself nd insulting the people that sent u to skul,if u go at all. Let me lecture my friend nothing, read my lips nothing is useless. The things that u consider as useless can be a gold to another man. For inatance ur feace is important to grasses,dogs,crops and evwn ants. Also do ur urine. So my friend don't talk anyhow cost u dont the peoples that uses this site.
Listen and read carefully before u talk.
A good listener is a good talker
Talk because u have something say not because u want to talk
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 11, 2016
Demily:

seriously Igbos go 2 skul. cry
seriously Igbos go 2 skul.
as ugly as u are u have mouth 2 say igbos dont go 2 skul,where are ur stats to prove dis?
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by golddiamond860: 10:58am On Mar 11, 2016
Nonsense......fake post......post without NAFDAC no. How can u say all igbos r light skinned..... U, dont u like money?? Mtweeeee
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by endoski: 11:01am On Mar 11, 2016
blackpanda:
is it not beta dah way than to b poor lyk d hausas grin
blackpanda:
is it not beta dah way than to b poor lyk d hausas
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Omoluabi16(m): 11:02am On Mar 11, 2016
Adaure4ever:
Thats their business.
I am a Proud Igbo anytime, anyday and anywhere. Ndewo nu o.
It's funny how some igbos like to play the victim.As others stereotype you..you also stereotype us.zive been labeled a saboteur, coward, baboon, ofe mmanu and other unprintable names by some igbos on RBL. so long we coexist, the mutual suspicion will always be there.I wish we could have a strong united Nigeria.But sadly, some elements..the tribal bigots will make that a pipedream. Ndewo..

Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Nobody: 11:04am On Mar 11, 2016
5starmilitant:
Igbo kwenu. grin grin grin

Lolzz Correct guy! That says it all..
Any ethnic group that sets their mind on anything should be focused as described in this picture period!
Re: 5 Igbo Stereotypes Every Nigerian Must Drop by Coldfeets: 11:07am On Mar 11, 2016
Atụ m!

Atụ m ngege!

Danyị ọga OP, nwa chileke, biko e spiklekwe!

Why Aren't Somali Woman In Hollywood???? / Ooni Ogunwusi Installed As Grand-Patron Of Kegites Club International (Pix) / DSS Detains Tricycle Rider In Osun On Orders Of Ooni Of Ife Over Text Message

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67