Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:21 PM

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale (28113 Views)

Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / Ooni Of Ife Visits Alake Of Egbaland (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by agrovick(m): 10:34am On Mar 12, 2016
Akinrogun:
hi.....I hail from Okesopen sector........and u?
Eyin ti Sopen Lukale, a ki yin o. I'm from the Ojowo axis. Good to meet you my brother
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 10:40am On Mar 12, 2016
spiralwedge:

Its ok. Did anyone write about this? Or any published interview where people concerned stated this? Obasanjo would have written it about it if it was true. Especially in his book, Not My Will, where he wrote in details tales about the happenings during his military rule.

Muritala Mohammed set up the Irikefe Panel on State Creation at a time Obasanjo was his second in command, so it was the Irikefe Panel that made that recommendation, you can get hold of his Report and read it yourself. Of course, Muritala was assassinated later making it possible for Obasanjo to take over. So you are the type that would say that until Babangida write about June 12, you can`t believe that an election was annulled, right? Bye
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 1:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
ATERI:

Muritala Mohammed set up the Irikefe Panel on State Creation at a time Obasanjo was his second in command, so it was the Irikefe Panel that made that recommendation, you can get hold of his Report and read it yourself. Of course, Muritala was assassinated later making it possible for Obasanjo to take over. So you are the type that would say that until Babangida write about June 12, you can`t believe that an election was annulled, right? Bye

Irikefe report did not mention any of the hearsays in your original posts. And the Benin-Sagamu Interchange (Makun) (Not exactly Sagamu) was proposed as the capital. The report mentions the old divisions in the state and Remo and Egbado were mentioned as divisions created by Colonial Master, apart from Egba and Ijebu . It is normal for all monarchs to lobbied to win development to their domain.
Military regimes usually dont give a damn what a monarch thinks much as long as that is what they want. They can even sack such monarch.
So I insist placing the capital in Abeokuta, Obj intentionally spited Awo and reduce local influence. Obj himself has said and written that Awo was over-ambitious and needed to tamed. And that he did with all his military might. Even the handing over to Shagari was controversial.

Concerning June 12, there are documented publications and multimedia. I only wanted you to sift hearsay from factual history.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nellybii: 6:34pm On Mar 12, 2016
elopee3000:
and u think Germany Austrian or France or Italy don't ve kings before ? They see no benefit they revoked kingship re we better than them ?with ur ooni or ur seriki

From your comments, I don't see any sanity in continuing this conversation. I prefer discussing with normal people. Good day.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 7:29pm On Mar 12, 2016
spiralwedge:

Irikefe report did not mention any of the hearsays in your original posts. And the Benin-Sagamu Interchange (Makun) (Not exactly Sagamu) was proposed as the capital. The report mentions the old divisions in the state and Remo and Egbado were mentioned as divisions created by Colonial Master, apart from Egba and Ijebu . It is normal for all monarchs to lobbied to win development to their domain.
Military regimes usually dont give a damn what a monarch thinks much as long as that is what they want. They can even sack such monarch.
So I insist placing the capital in Abeokuta, Obj intentionally spited Awo and reduce local influence. Obj himself has said and written that Awo was over-ambitious and needed to tamed. And that he did with all his military might. Even the handing over to Shagari was controversial.

Concerning June 12, there are documented publications and multimedia. I only wanted you to sift hearsay from factual history.
I`m not going to allow you to get away with your deliberate dishonesty, so I have three questions for you.
Since you have accepted that Irikefe Panel recommended Sagamu as Ogun State Capital, can you tell me the hearsay in my piece?
Two, which other individual or traditional ruler in Ogun State lobbied to take away the capital from Sagamu, since you said everybody lobbied at that time? The last question is for you to tell me where Makun belongs in the geography of Ogun State, since you said is not exactly Sagamu
Please, answer those questions so that we can move amicably forward. Thanks
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 9:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
ATERI:

I`m not going to allow you to get away with your deliberate dishonesty, so I have three questions for you.
Since you have accepted that Irikefe Panel recommended Sagamu as Ogun State Capital, can you tell me the hearsay in my piece?
Two, which other individual or traditional ruler in Ogun State lobbied to take away the capital from Sagamu, since you said everybody lobbied at that time? The last question is for you to tell me where Makun belongs in the geography of Ogun State, since you said is not exactly Sagamu
Please, answer those questions so that we can move amicably forward. Thanks
I

There's no dishonesty or any insinuation in all my postings.

The summarised answer to all your questions is that Obj made Abeokuta the capital of Ogun state to spite Awo.

To single out one monarch on the struggle/lobby is the hearsay. And like i said earlier, it is the same version of your hearsay I heard as the cause of loss of Ijebu state during Abacha/Diya regime.

How can the same story be the same reason for two different problems of two different times at different dispensations?

Written history is what I required from you, nothing else! Hearsays distort history.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 10:57pm On Mar 12, 2016
spiralwedge:
I

There's no dishonesty or any insinuation in all my postings.

The summarised answer to all your questions is that Obj made Abeokuta the capital of Ogun state to spite Awo.

To single out one monarch on the struggle/lobby is the hearsay. And like i said earlier, it is the same version of your hearsay I heard as the cause of loss of Ijebu state during Abacha/Diya regime.

How can the same story be the same reason for two different problems of two different times at different dispensations?

Written history is what I required from you, nothing else! Hearsays distort history.

You only answered one of three questions.
I will tell you categorically that Makun does not belong to any other town or city in Ogun State but Sagamu, so next time you are writing don`t say what you don`t know. The dishonesty in your piece is that you don`t want to admit that Awujale would not allow a state in Ijebu/Remo zone unless the capital is Ijebu Ode. Anybody that follows the politics of that area would tell you this, so it`s nothing special
You are contradicting yourself by making any reference to Awo in this issue. If Awo was the factor in 75/76 was he still the factor during Abacha/Diya era? Are you telling me that Diya would be in power, create an Ijebu State and allow Awujale to have his wish of having the capital located in Ijebu-Ode when Diya himself was born in the vicinity ( Odogbolu), is that what you are saying?
Once Irikefe recommended Sagamu as the best location for the capital of Ogun State in the mid 70s, Obasanjo would never have been in a position to change that recommenrdation if Awujale had not raised any objection. The balance of power in Yorubaland between Obasanjo and Awo was slightly similar to the balance of power in Igboland between Ojukwu and Azikwe. Awo and his people kept Obasanjo on his toes on all issues and Obasanjo did the same to them, so the possibility of Obasanjo going against what a supreme court judge recommended was zero. But once Awujale opposed it, Obasanjo was in a wonderful position to use his status as a second in command initially. The politics under Diya/Abacha was different. Abacha didn`t want Diya to become more powerful and more loved by his people, so any opposition from Awujale would be welcome by Abacha, since that meant that Awujale and Abacha would become closer at the expense of Diya. So the only constant here is the Awujale, therefore I don`t know why you could find it unacceptable that he played this negative role twice.Ok listen to this: a couple of months ago the dubious Obasanjo now said he would support Ijebu State but only if the capital would be in Awo`s town in Ikenne, please go and find out what your Awujale said to that, so that you would not be surprised when he plays the role thrice. But unfortunately for Awujale now, the balance of power is no more in his favour, he may have to swallow his pride and opposition very soon, because, for the first time in the history of Nigeria, someone from Remo area of Ogun State is the vice-president in a democracy.
You said the answer to all my questions is that Obasanjo made Abeokuta the capital of Ogun State to spite Awo. This is non-sense because I told you that Awo`s parents were both from Abeokuta and Ikenne. His mum was from Ikenne and his dad was from Abeokuta, then how could location of state capital in his dad`s town spite him bro?

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 11:18pm On Mar 12, 2016
You should be able say your tribe. It means you have something to hide.

Taolyn4lif:

I am a Nigerian
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Taolyn4lif(m): 11:34pm On Mar 12, 2016
ycat:
You should be able say your tribe. It means you have something to hide.

Friend...I just don't like referring to tribes. And what do you think I am hiding?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 1:05am On Mar 13, 2016
The answer is already in your post but, I just wanted to see if you are bold to come out. It seems that it's not so much about the state of the nation to you but, not being able to have your way in the current arrangement.
Taolyn4lif:

Friend...I just don't like referring to tribes. And what do you think I am hiding?
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Taolyn4lif(m): 8:09am On Mar 13, 2016
ycat:
The answer is already in your post but, I just wanted to see if you are bold to come out. It seems that it's not so much about the state of the nation to you but, not being able to have your way in the current arrangement.

Like I stated, tribes don't really bother me. This is not about being bold or not. And from my posts on this thread, there is no enough information for you to deduce that I am from a particular tribe.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by oluwolexy(m): 10:17am On Mar 13, 2016
@ Ateri, you got it wrong Awolowo's father is from Ikenne, a well respected Ijebu Remo farmer who died in 1916 when the Obafemi was 7 years old.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ATERI(m): 10:31am On Mar 13, 2016
oluwolexy:
@ Ateri, you got it wrong Awolowo's father is from Ikenne, a well respected Ijebu Remo farmer who died in 1916 when the Obafemi was 7 years old.

Thanks for the correction; it`s the other way round. Many thanks, oluwolexy.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 11:35am On Mar 13, 2016
Ok, let's leave it at that.
Taolyn4lif:

Like I stated, tribes don't really bother me. This is not about being bold or not. And from my posts on this thread, there is no enough information for you to deduce that I am from a particular tribe.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 11:56am On Mar 13, 2016
The word is, Diya wanted to make Odogbolu the capital, and that was what drew objection from Awujale. Sagamu was never a contender. Awujale has since be pushing for ijebu state alone with the capital in Ijebu ode. And if it is created it's going to be in Ijebu ode. Ikenne is Remo so is Sagamu, so what's their problem with Ijebu state? If Ikenne and Sagamu want a state, they will have to go and ask for it and not try to block Ijebu state.

Osiibajo can't influence Ijebu state because Awujale has been on it before he was picked as Vp and I'm sure Tinubu would have told him that this very topic is a no-go area for him. Also, Buhari is a close friend of Awujale and that's the only thing Awujale asked from him.

Forget it, Ijebu ode has Ijebu state on lock.
spiralwedge:

My brother abi na sister, this is a mere hearsay.

As a matter of fact, this is exactly what i heard when Abacha/Diya wanted to create Ijebu State in the 90s. Only that it was a rivalry between Sagamu and IjebuOde. Ijebu state was supposed to be announced in that broadcast either with Ekiti or instead of.

Concerning Ogun state creation, history has it that Obj hates Awo's presidential ambitions, (Obj doesn't hide this in his books or interviews) and destabilising Awo's base with newly introduced states was Obj's strategy. The Awujale said this sometimes along this line this year during Ogun state's 40th anniversary celebration.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 12:16pm On Mar 13, 2016
ycat:
The word was, Diya wanted to make Odogbolu the capital, and that was what drew objection from Awujale. Sagamu was never a contender. Awujale has since be pushing for ijebu state alone with the capital in Ijebu ode. And if it is created it's going to be in Ijebu ode. Ikenne is Remo so is Sagamu, so what's their problem with Ijebu state? If Ikenne and Sagamu want a state, they will have to go and ask for it and not try to block Ijebu state.

That's naive. That's a mere rumour.

If Diya wanted to make Odogbolu the capital what stopped him, being a military deputy head of state? And if Abacha, his oga, did not want Odogbolu, what stopped him for placing it in IjebuOde? Who would question or stop him? He was a maximum military dictator.

Now, I said naive because you dont know or not considerate of the socio-political implications. If Ijebu state was created, two out of the major old divisions would be contained... Remo and Ijebu. So tell me, does it make sense to call the new state and also have the capital in IjebuOde? Doesn't it mean the Remos would be minority or subservient in the new state? The Remos are smart and the Ijebus are arrogant. It is better for the Remos to remain in this present arrangement called Ogun state where they stand tall with the other 3 old divisions than to be political nonentities in your one-sided Ijebu State.

One thing is sure, Ijebu State may never materialise, because of the Ijebus' arrogance. However, if it does it is either Remos are excluded or Ijebus and Remos share the political relevance of both the name and the capital city as it is done elsewhere. Eg. ONDO - Akure, OYO - Ibadan etc.

Once again, the odogbolu story was a rumour.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 12:35pm On Mar 13, 2016
That's the fact, it wasn't a rumor, the Sagamu part is the new one we never heard of.

Of course, there's always the option of Sagamu remaining in Ogun state like a lot of people think. Sagamu is better off in ogun state really, it's closer to Lagos and Abeokuta, and has all the advantages already.

Ijebu ode is the biggest in ogun just after Abeokuta and there's nothing wrong in it if Sagamu is subservient, that is if they want to be part of ijebu state.

Ijebu is the only province that has not become a state, some former provinces have even had 2 states created out of them.

Call it anything you want, Remo can't cash in on Ijebus struggle. Ijebu state will be.
spiralwedge:

That's naive. That's a mere rumour.

If Diya wanted to make Odogbolu the capital what stopped him, being a military deputy head of state? And if Abacha, his oga, did not want Odogbolu, what stopped him for placing it in IjebuOde? Who would question or stop him? He was a maximum military dictator.

Now, I said naive because you dont know or not considerate of the socio-political implications. If Ijebu state was created, two out of the major old divisions would be contained... Remo and Ijebu. So tell me, does it make sense to call the new state and also have the capital in IjebuOde? Doesn't it mean the Remos would be minority or subservient in the new state? The Remos are smart and the Ijebus are arrogant. It is better for the Remos to remain in this present arrangement called Ogun state where they stand tall with the other 3 old divisions than to be political nonentities in your one-sided Ijebu State.

One thing is sure, Ijebu State may never materialise, because of the Ijebus' arrogance. However, if it does it is either Remos are excluded or Ijebus and Remos share the political relevance of both the name and the capital city as it is done elsewhere. Eg. ONDO - Akure, OYO - Ibadan etc.

Once again, the odogbolu story was a rumour.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 12:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
ATERI:

You only answered one of three questions.
I will tell you categorically that Makun does not belong to any other town or city in Ogun State but Sagamu, so next time you are writing don`t say what you don`t know. The dishonesty in your piece is that you don`t want to admit that Awujale would not allow a state in Ijebu/Remo zone unless the capital is Ijebu Ode. Anybody that follows the politics of that area would tell you this, so it`s nothing special
You are contradicting yourself by making any reference to Awo in this issue. If Awo was the factor in 75/76 was he still the factor during Abacha/Diya era? Are you telling me that Diya would be in power, create an Ijebu State and allow Awujale to have his wish of having the capital located in Ijebu-Ode when Diya himself was born in the vicinity ( Odogbolu), is that what you are saying?
Once Irikefe recommended Sagamu as the best location for the capital of Ogun State in the mid 70s, Obasanjo would never have been in a position to change that recommenrdation if Awujale had not raised any objection. The balance of power in Yorubaland between Obasanjo and Awo was slightly similar to the balance of power in Igboland between Ojukwu and Azikwe. Awo and his people kept Obasanjo on his toes on all issues and Obasanjo did the same to them, so the possibility of Obasanjo going against what a supreme court judge recommended was zero. But once Awujale opposed it, Obasanjo was in a wonderful position to use his status as a second in command initially. The politics under Diya/Abacha was different. Abacha didn`t want Diya to become more powerful and more loved by his people, so any opposition from Awujale would be welcome by Abacha, since that meant that Awujale and Abacha would become closer at the expense of Diya. So the only constant here is the Awujale, therefore I don`t know why you could find it unacceptable that he played this negative role twice.Ok listen to this: a couple of months ago the dubious Obasanjo now said he would support Ijebu State but only if the capital would be in Awo`s town in Ikenne, please go and find out what your Awujale said to that, so that you would not be surprised when he plays the role thrice. But unfortunately for Awujale now, the balance of power is no more in his favour, he may have to swallow his pride and opposition very soon, because, for the first time in the history of Nigeria, someone from Remo area of Ogun State is the vice-president in a democracy.
You said the answer to all my questions is that Obasanjo made Abeokuta the capital of Ogun State to spite Awo. This is non-sense because I told you that Awo`s parents were both from Abeokuta and Ikenne. His mum was from Ikenne and his dad was from Abeokuta, then how could location of state capital in his dad`s town spite him bro?

No, I do not deny Awujale's role during the Abacha/Diya's time. But I do for Muritala/Obj's time. I am not trying to exonerate him.

Awujale was not the only monarch lobbying for the capital city in his domain. There were several others. So, what i am not accepting is that your Awujale was the sole cause of making Abeokuta the capital city.

Ogun state was created in 1976, Shagari vs Awo presidential campaign kicked off in 1978. Common. What are we talking about? OGUN - Abeokuta was all about OBJ vs. Awo.

Im ending the discussion here, we are already going back and forth on this. Thanks for your time.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by spiralwedge(m): 12:59pm On Mar 13, 2016
ycat:
That's the fact, it wasn't a rumor, the Sagamu part is the new one we never heard of.

Of course, there's always the option of Sagamu remaining in Ogun state like a lot of people think. Sagamu is better off in ogun state really, it's closer to Lagos and Abeokuta, and has all the advantages already.

Ijebu ode is the biggest in ogun just after Abeokuta and there's nothing wrong in it if Sagamu is subservient, that is if they want to be part of ijebu state.

Ijebu is the only province that has not become a state, some former provinces have even had 2 states created out of them.

There's a lot of ignorance and sentiments in your posts. Perhaps you are still a kid, but of course i respect your opinion.

Take care. Im out.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by ycat: 1:17pm On Mar 13, 2016
I don't know why you are quick to call my posts what you are guilty of.

If calling Ijebu "arrogant" isn't ignorance and sentiment, what is it? If I'm a kid, that makes you a toddler.
spiralwedge:

There's a lot of ignorance and sentiments in your posts. Perhaps you are still a kid, but of course i respect your opinion.

Take care. Im out.

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 8:03pm On Mar 13, 2016
bigmo1:

Are you from Ijebu Ife? If yes, from which quarter? I got a book from one of these Ife day celebrations which highlights all the king that has reigned in ijebu Ife. If time permits may be I will post it here.
ijebu ife precisely
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by bmaks: 9:24am On Mar 14, 2016
udmbat:
Ajalorun of Ijebu-Ife is far above all of them listed. Ask the ooni of ife if you dont believe me.

I think we will have a great problem in Yoruba land when all these old kings and elders are dead, i think we will all lose the truth of our identities to fame, politics, affluence and influence. Imagine the confusion being set all these distorted tales. Our major problem is that we lack proper documentation of things. I must tell you that Ooni is no king in Yoruba land, counting him as one of the Big Kings is absolute distortion. I think we must learn that truth that the only son of Oduduwa is Okanbi, who died before his father and have 7 children, who are the main Yoruba Kings. The children of these 7 children are the extended branches of the true Yoruba Lineage.

[size=16pt]SO MY BIGGEST QUESTION FOR ALL OF US TO HELP US TRACE OUR ROOT IS "WHICH OF THE BRANCH LINE OF THESE 7 CHILDREN DOES YOUR VILLAGE, TOWN, CITY OR FAMILY LINE BELONG TO?"[/size]

If we can't trace you to any of these people, then you must be a stranger or visitor, slave or Prisoner of war (not meant to be derogatory in any form), or a merchant.

Fight for supremacy should come by the truth in our lineage connection.

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by tpiar: 6:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
like anyone will admit to being those.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Kakamorufu(m): 1:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
leisuretym:

everybody know that ... EGBA NI OKO IJEBU!
Egba Omo Lisabi.... Bawa!!!!
oya na, lez go
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by lawani: 10:27am On Jan 12, 2017
NO JUNIOR KINGS, EGBA KNOW THEIR TOWNS, IJEBU KNOW THEIRS IN LAGOS AND OGUN STATES, IJESA KNOW THEIRS, IFE KNOW THEIRS, THEY HAVE KINGS, JUNIOR AND PARAMOUNT. SO NO ONE SHOULD CALL THE FACE OF A NATION A JUNIOR KING. THAT IS NOT RIGHT. IJESA, IJEBU, EGBA, AWORI ETC ARE ALL NATIONS.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jan 12, 2017
@spiralwedge

How is ijebu ode being capital makes shagamu subservient to ijebu seeing as the remos are ijebus too?

Last i heard of that state creation is

Obasanjo said he supported it only if ikenne were the capital in respect to awo.

Akarigbo said if ijebu ode were to be capital then another name will be for the state, or an ijebu state then the capital at ikenne, which makes me wonder why not sagamu?

Awujale says ijebu state and ijebu ode as capital.

The odogbolu thing wasn't a rumour, the awujale stated that himself as he was told by abacha.

It's a tough one to decide as am ijebu myself. Leaves one to wonder what position does the awujale have to take to achieve it's state?

Why don't it go like kano kano, sokoto sokoto, so we have ijebu ijebu and have all major governments institutions distributed across these domains that make up ijebu as a whole?
In sum concentration of power will not be to ijebu ode alone so as not to seem overriding to others.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by lawani: 4:13pm On Jan 12, 2017
Vorpal:
@spiralwedge

How is ijebu ode being capital makes shagamu subservient to ijebu seeing as the remos are ijebus too?

Last i heard of that state creation is

Obasanjo said he supported it only if ikenne were the capital in respect to awo.

Akarigbo said if ijebu ode were to be capital then another name will be for the state, or an ijebu state then the capital at ikenne, which makes me wonder why not sagamu?

Awujale says ijebu state and ijebu ode as capital.

The odogbolu thing wasn't a rumour, the awujale stated that himself as he was told by abacha.

It's a tough one to decide as am ijebu myself. Leaves one to wonder what position does the awujale have to take to achieve it's state?

Why don't it go like kano kano, sokoto sokoto, so we have ijebu ijebu and have all major governments institutions distributed across these domains that make up ijebu as a whole?
In sum concentration of power will not be to ijebu ode alone so as not to seem overriding to others.

IJEBU HAVE TOWNS IN OGUN AND LAGOS STATES. THEIR AIM SHOULD BE TO MERGE THOSE TOWNS AND TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR LANDS. WHERE THEY PUT CAPITAL IS THEIR HEADACHE. EREDO THE SPRAWLING CAPITAL OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO IS NOW BUSH. WHY NOT IKENNE TO HONOR AWO? YOU ALWAYS DO SOMETHING BECAUSE OF SOMETHING.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jan 12, 2017
lawani:

IJEBU HAVE TOWNS IN OGUN AND LAGOS STATES. THEIR AIM SHOULD BE TO MERGE THOSE TOWNS AND TAKE CONTROL OF THEIR LANDS. WHERE THEY PUT CAPITAL IS THEIR HEADACHE. EREDO THE SPRAWLING CAPITAL OF THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO IS NOW BUSH. WHY NOT IKENNE TO HONOR AWO? YOU ALWAYS DO SOMETHING BECAUSE OF SOMETHING.

I think it's too ambitious at the moment even if possible to reclaim such lands. Plus the kings over such land, will they be willinging to be part of a yet developing state as opposed to Lagos which has already attained mega city status?

Honouring Awo with the Ikenne thing putting into consideration how much he has acheived in Yoruba land is quite overly placating to me. He has roads named after him all over the country as well as a university named after him. He could as well have something named after even after ijebu state is formed.

However I still think going Ijebu-Ijebu way is a better format seeing as no region denies being ijebu as well as even distribution of government awareness and infrastructural development all over ijebu land. I hardly think the Akarigbo would even be opposed to that idea. The Awujale will just have to be a paramount figure that he is and look at the bigger picture.

Ikeja is the state capital in Lagos,yet lands on the island are way expensive and more concentration of commercial industries on the island.People naturally gravitate to the area with better prospects either capital or no capital.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by lawani: 7:06pm On Jan 12, 2017
Vorpal:

I think it's too ambitious at the moment even if possible to reclaim such lands. Plus the kings over such land, will they be willinging to be part of a yet developing state as opposed to Lagos which has already attained mega city status?

Honouring Awo with the Ikenne thing putting into consideration how much he has acheived in Yoruba land is quite overly placating to me. He has roads named after him all over the country as well as a university named after him. He could as well have something named after even after ijebu state is formed.

However I still think going Ijebu-Ijebu way is a better format seeing as no region denies being ijebu as well as even distribution of government awareness and infrastructural development all over ijebu land. I hardly think the Akarigbo would even be opposed to that idea. The Awujale will just have to be a paramount figure that he is and look at the bigger picture.

Ikeja is the state capital in Lagos,yet lands on the island are way expensive and more concentration of commercial industries on the island.People naturally gravitate to the area with better prospects either capital or no capital.

IJEBU IS IJEBU. THAT IS A TRADITIONAL STATE. NOTHING TOO AMBITIOUS IN MERGING IJEBU LANDS. IT IS TO MAINTAIN PROPER IDENTITY AS IT SHOULD BE. LEAVE IJEBU FOR IJEBUS AND THEY WILL DEVELOP IT WITH HELP FROM OTHERS WHO ARE WILLING TO COOPERATE WITH THEM. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO MAINTAIN SANITY ON EARTH. A LARGE PART OF LAGOS IS AWORI ETC.
Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jan 12, 2017
lawani:

IJEBU IS IJEBU. THAT IS A TRADITIONAL STATE. NOTHING TOO AMBITIOUS IN MERGING IJEBU LANDS. IT IS TO MAINTAIN PROPER IDENTITY AS IT SHOULD BE. LEAVE IJEBU FOR IJEBUS AND THEY WILL DEVELOP IT WITH HELP FROM OTHERS WHO ARE WILLING TO COOPERATE WITH THEM. THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO MAINTAIN SANITY ON EARTH. A LARGE PART OF LAGOS IS AWORI ETC.

Okay oh.
So these lands are, ibeju lekki? Ikorodu? Epe?

1 Like

Re: Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale by AlphaMogul: 8:45am On Feb 13
The following is an account of the history of Ijebu Ife as recorded by historians and which is in accord with the traditions handed down by the ancestors of the King of the town, Ajalorun:

Olofin Ogbolu, eldest son of King Oduduwa succeeded his father. He had only reigned for some few years in Ile Ife when, as a result of an annual consultation of Ifa Oracle, the High Priest delivered a message that unless the King, Olofin Ogbolu, relocate from the town with all his sub-chiefs to another part of the Yoruba country to establish themselves anew, Ile Ife and its surrounding towns would be destroyed by flood.

As was customary with our ancestors, Olofin had no choice than to abide with what Ifa decreed. And in company with his chiefs and people, he arrived in many places where Ifa, upon consultations, did not allow him to settle. Some of these include Emuren in Remo Division, Isiwu in Ikorodu Division, Erunwon and Ilefon near Ijebu Ode, Odogbolu, Okemori and Idotun near Isonyin, Odongbodu, Egbe, Okeyejo, Okelugbogu, Imomo, etc, in Ilugun Alaro area of Ijebu Division.

The Elemuren, the Elerunwon, the Alse Omo of Isiwu were permitted by the Ajalorun Olofin Ogbolu to wear beaded crown. “In 1894” the Elemuren entered into treaty of friendship and protection with the British government. There was none of the articles of that treaty in which Elemuren was referred to as “chief” but as King of Emuren.

The Elemuren is a traditional son of Oba Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife to whom he owes the origin of his crown (see page 47 Obaship and Chieftancy by E. Alademomi Kenyo). The Elerunwon of Erunwon near Ijebu Ode has been wearing beaded crown in his settlement since about 1445 A.D. before the Ajalorun finally arrived in Idofe, Oke Ife, about 1450 A.D. i.e 20 years before Obanta arrived in Ijebu in 1470 A.D.

The Intelligence Report of May 1943 by T. B. Bowell-Jones, District Officer (Special Duty) para. 35B Ijebu Ode Villages, admit that the Elerunwon left Ile Ife with the Ajalorun of Ijebu Ife, first settling at Imewuro in the Ilugun Area, then at Idorunwon and Iwaye in the same area, thence to Idotun near Isonyin and finally to Erunwon, where the Ifa oracle was consulted with favourable results; the Ajalorun was the elder brother and that Obanta had not yet arrived in Ijebu Ode.
Bump.
Erunwon near Ijebu Ode.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nigerian Christmas Carols In Yoruba / Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Emir of Bauchi's Brother, Rilwanu Sulaiman Adamu, Found Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.