Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,822 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty (34211 Views)

Six Ways To Grow Entrepreneurship In Nigeria / Elumelu Seeks More Int’l Support To Boost Entrepreneurship In Africa / Part 2. Entrepreneurship Is A Scam In Nigeria As Well As A Multiplier Of Poverty (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by loshybab(m): 10:46am On Mar 14, 2016
oneolajire:

[b]Friend, go over the post once again. I neither wrote that all entrepreneurs must be inventors nor all investors have to be entrepreneurs. Thank God you own a fashion outlet,so seems you are out of the unemployment market. But my major concern is how to make maximum profit from education to eradicate unemployment and generate real time jobs. Engineering graduates need to immensely contribute the technological development of the nation by setting up their own engineering businesses and not by opening beer palour businesses cos of unemployment. Graduates from other courses also have their contributions to make as well.

Nigeria needs more than fashion outlets, we need garment factories. We need to set up companies that will turn wool to clothes. We need to put an end to the massive importation of foreign wears. Cos I know that there is no tailor(or fashion designer)that can do that in Nigeria. We should learn to be able to start small scale business in cloth production from the raw materials. We should develop our machine design and production capacity to be able to create finished products(such as various garments) that can compete with the foreign ones.[/b]
The essence of education is not only to get job but to serve as an eye opener and to expose you to things that might enable you create your own job
The engineering practicals of some aspect of engineering is just low,that's y not many machines can be designed/made in naija. The fabrication of agricultural machines in naija is trying though but they stl need more orientation.
We shall get there!!!
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by daclemx: 10:47am On Mar 14, 2016
ITSaWRAPPP:
Entrepreneurship is not only about invention but creating opportunities for yourself, taking risks and managing your time for no one but yourself. I did not invent how to make suits or other corporate wears but I run a fashion outlet. Not been an inventor does not disqualify me even though I strive to strategically add my creative ability to give my brand a unique identity.

Not all inventors are entrepreneurs and not all entrepreneurs are inventors.

Bros, where did you say you are from? cos you are simply amazing....you killed it

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Dapsin2901: 10:51am On Mar 14, 2016
I love this and Nigeria need to wake up
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by donestk(m): 10:51am On Mar 14, 2016
Pls permit me to mail this article to my lecturers in business admin.
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by aribisala0(m): 10:51am On Mar 14, 2016
hero2000:
Haaa! The post is long but very well written. You definitely have some views that are valid. We cannot or should not be content with graduates making Chin chin, etc(You must have studied engineering; so many reference to engineering). Value creation must move to another level!

But entrepreneurship is not only producing goods. I know you didn't say outrightly it is only about manufacturing goods but you seem to deemphasize the other areas of entrepreneurship. Look at our music industry. Those guys are doing extraordinary well. They are creating economic value(unfortunately not moral value!)

Look my point is that no matter how behind in economic / technological development the realities of living expenses is remorseless. Now that we as a nation refused to invest well in education people cannot wait till investment in technology and engineering to start making a living. Your foresight is superb. That is what we should be aiming towards. Your write up is calling us to that destination but we have to get something doing before then.

It is like someone who wants to increase his agric output so much that he planted ALL the seeds he has. He is now left hungry and destitute with nothing to eat. Yes his huge harvest is 5 months' time but if he is not careful he may die of hunger before the harvest comes.
I am sorry it is NOT well written. It is littered with embarrassing solecisms. It is also quite shallow in terms of its analysis and conclusions. A passionate but mediocre offering all round and a resounding testament to the declining standards of our education system. My verdict: an unworthy discussion of a very worthy and worthwhile topic. It is difficult to reason properly when one fails to master language

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Jethrolite(m): 10:56am On Mar 14, 2016
ITSaWRAPPP:
Entrepreneurship is not only about invention but creating opportunities for yourself, taking risks and managing your time for no one but yourself. I did not invent how to make suits or other corporate wears but I run a fashion outlet. Not been an inventor does not disqualify me even though I strive to strategically add my creative ability to give my brand a unique identity.

Not all inventors are entrepreneurs and not all entrepreneurs are inventors.
That thing you call tuxedo, is that what a real tuxedo looks like? You are a typical example of what op is talking about but instead of accepting, you are arguing. Yes, you must not invent but then you go on to innovate. Look at your products and ask yourself what you have really done.

Now, do not get me wrong. I am not trying to say your business is wrong or detrimental to the economy rather the opposite is the case but if you take op's advice you should be thinking of creating products that can compete globally. This is the reason the white man has mostly no regard for us because all we do is mess things up and we term it innovation.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by kenendo55(m): 10:57am On Mar 14, 2016
Nice one...op
You'h just spoken my mind.Our government should stop fooling her self.The points you raised shows why we are facing this economic hardship today.our leaders should be wise..God bless OP........
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by JeffreyJamez(m): 10:57am On Mar 14, 2016
This article is bullshit on all levels......when people go to school just to get certificate and not because of the passion they have for what they are studying, what do you expect?.....someone that has passion for cooking is in school studying accounting or one other course ,he/she now comes out, no Job and he/she falls back to his/her passion for cooking and opens a resturant and is happy and doing just fine....you say such person lacks innovation?.....Must every innovation and entrepeneurship be about Technology or inventing something?.....abeg this write up is too shallow for my liking

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by phazotron(m): 10:59am On Mar 14, 2016
the govt is a major culprit in the debacle that faces us. entrepreneurship is an untapped goldmine in Nigeria but without the right policies or the enabling environment its all goint to fail which is exactly wat is happening now. as for innovation and entrepreneurship entrepreneurship doesn't always have to be a result of invention, it could be a different and innovative way of doing wat others have been doing. instead of directing your anger at us @op you shoukd be writing this to the ministers of power science and technology and education.
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by KELVIN086: 11:00am On Mar 14, 2016
porozhniy:
Only a person who has been equiped can invent. The concern of the average Nigerian graduate is his survival. I agree with the op 100%, govt policies in Nigeria can kill ur dreams b4 you even wake up. Reflect on the current power & fuel crisis, think what modular refineries & mobile power plants can do for the current economy.
Very true sir , I had a project I wanted to construct(a robot for the army and police for remote surveillance ) about 6 months ago but when I considered the fact that I was still unable to feed myself not to talk about carrying out such an expensive project I just had to drop the idea.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by thywobab(m): 11:01am On Mar 14, 2016
oneolajire:

Let's start to tell the govt and policy makers that they need to invest and equip the Nigerian students so that they'll solve national problems. Nigeria needs modern libraries, laboratories and workshops so that we can develop goods and provide modern services for our nation.

Nigerian students needs light,food,good road,better housing before all this.'Person wey chop na hin go dey dream'

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by unlawfulact: 11:01am On Mar 14, 2016
A Nigerian graduate thinks of survival first. How do you tell an hungry man to think and invent. Invention and innovations takes time and patient. How many banks in nigerian are willing to fund startups?

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Nobody: 11:02am On Mar 14, 2016
bottom line is that the Op is exposing the government for using the entrepreneurship gospel as a get out of jail card for their inability to industrialize the nation...and that i support...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Acidosis(m): 11:03am On Mar 14, 2016
By the way, the Title is misleading. There is a clear difference between Innovation and Entrepreneurship.

I have done some research works on the two concepts so I'll put up my opinions here for review.

@OP, we have two types of Innovation:

1. Continuous innovation
2. Discontinuous innovation

What is discontinuous innovation? It is simply the creation of entirely new assortment of products for competitive advantage.

Continuous on the other hand is a revolutionary process, involving the reintroduction of a preexisting product.

Samsung Galaxy S7 is a Continuous innovation. So mind you, the big companies also engage in continuous innovation (what you termed not been innovative, copycats). You cannot fault an entrepreneur who is into bead making because it sounds petty while you exhort General Electric or Tecno, a company who copies the Samsung and LGs of this world.

Viju Milk is a continuous innovation
So also is that small entrepreneur selling Kunu and Nunu.

I can send you excerpt of that research paper for further understanding. Please do not discourage youths from doing the needful, with your opinion.

If you have a problem with petty trades for not being innovative enough, please what form of innovation has Dangote introduced to the Nigerian market? He is not the first to make Indomie, Sugar, Cement, etc. What he clearly GOT above other petty entrepreneurs in the country is MONEY, now that's why you need to blame the government for not providing good loans for its citizens.

As regards technological innovation, I've addressed that in my previous posts. The Engineering folks are to blame. Simply put, the average Nigerian, no matter how much you invest, cannot compete technologically with a Chinese or a Korean man.

That btw, is not a disadvantage as we could concentrate more on areas we have good competent hands, e.g. COMEDY, FOOTBALL, FABRICS, OIL, AGRIC.
In business, they call it Competitive Advantage.

I wish I have all the time to talk more on this section. There are so many things to talk about.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by phazotron(m): 11:05am On Mar 14, 2016
aribisala0:

I am sorry it is NOT well written. It is littered with embarrassing solecisms. It is also quite shallow in terms of its analysis and conclusions. A passionate but mediocre offering all round and a resounding testament to the declining standards of our education system. My verdict: an unworthy discussion of a very worthy and worthwhile topic. It is difficult to reason properly when one fails to master language

don't mind the op. hes a frustrated dumbass who is directing his frustration and anger at thevwrong audience. this piece is for the federal govt not for the youths like me who areready to take the bull by the horn but are hindered by harsh business environment and tough credit requirements.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by aribisala0(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2016
Acidosis:
By the way, the Title is misleading. There is a clear difference between Innovation and Entrepreneurship.

I have done some research works on the two concepts so I'll put up my opinions here for review.

@OP, we have two types of Innovation:

1. Continuous innovation
2. Discontinuous innovation

What is discontinuous innovation? It is simply the creation of entirely new assortment of products for competitive advantage.

Continuous on the other hand is a revolutionary process, involving the reintroduction of a preexisting product.

Samsung Galaxy S7 is a Continuous innovation. So mind you, the big companies also engage in continuous innovation (what you termed not been innovative, copycats). You cannot fault an entrepreneur who is into bead making because it sounds petty while you exhort General Electric or Tecno, a company who copies the Samsung and LGs of this world.

Viju Milk is a continuous innovation
So also is that small entrepreneur selling Kunu and Nunu.

I can send you excerpt of that research paper for further understanding. Please do not discourage youths from doing the needful, with your opinion.

If you have a problem with petty trades for not being innovative enough, please what form of innovation has Dangote introduced to the Nigerian market? He is not the first to make Indomie, Sugar, Cement, etc. What he clearly GOT above other petty entrepreneurs in the country is MONEY, now that's why you need to blame the government for not providing good loans for its citizens.

As regards technological innovation, I've addressed that in my previous posts. The Engineering folks are to blame. Simply put, the average Nigerian, no matter how much you invest, cannot compete technologically with a Chinese or a Korean man.

That btw, is not a disadvantage as we could concentrate more on areas we have good competent hands, e.g. COMEDY, FOOTBALL, FABRICS, OIL, AGRIC.

Interesting ...........
But is your distinction not Artificial ? Based on your definition EVERY Innovation is in some respects continuous. The definition needs greater clarity

Also you appear to create the impression that YOU introduced the terms ,is that the case?
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by hotmas911(m): 11:06am On Mar 14, 2016
Entrepreneurship is not just about being a scientific inventor. Thomas Edison invented electricity but J.P Morgan made it commercial through his company (General Electric). Our ability to turn around what is already available can also be seen as innovation.
For instance, Nigerian youth are finding it hard because they have their desired skills but lack the needed skills. As a farmer and agric consultant, I see numerous opportunities for youths in agriculture which are not maximized.

oneolajire:
Nigeria is a country where all big investors have no inventions (tangible or intangible) to their credit. Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Michael Dell, Thomas Edison and the likes all have products to patent, but most entrepreneurs we have in Nigeria have invented nothing and have made it through dubious means. 

Entrepreneurship/vocational education is government's way of telling the youth and graduates that she (the government) lacks industrialisation and job creation strategies while the youth have been left to fate.

Entrepreneurship/vocational education is government's way of making the youth/graduates look intellectually lazy and burdensome as well as telling them that they are have been abandoned in the valley of unemployment. Unemployment rate increased simply because government owned industries and companies get strangulated by the python of corruption as well as the refusal of the government to establish new ones.

Entrepreneurship in advanced countries is about innovations, inventions, improvements, expansions, people and institutional empowerment. Modern and sophisticated skills are being utilised to manufacture goods and services which culminates into abundant job creation.

Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is of the graduate job seeker told to engage in bead making, soap making, hair dressing, laundry and so on. These businesses have neither inventions nor advancement to add to the business practice and the economy, as they also have little or no impact on the international market. 

Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is also of the rich that colludes with the government to defraud the masses, destroy public corporations and infrastructures in order for them to import alternative goods. The rich set up few enterprises and often pay peanuts to their employees in order to increase their wealth; culminating into increase in poverty level and underemployment in the country.  

The government of advanced countries often invest billion of dollars on education and research, so they always have intellectuals who will offer innovative products and services to the world. These products and services are initially developed into small scale businesses as they many even grow into large enterprises. While Nigeria keeps wasting hard earned funds on Small and Medium Scale (SME) development, yet the businesses are nowhere to be found.

Only an insane person will keep doing the same thing the same way and expect a different result. Am yet to see a nation that got developed by investing so little on the education of her youth and students but spend so much on SME propaganda. Still searching for a nation that gave nothing more than mere, non-professional, common, stark and non-sophisticated skills/training to her youth and achieved rapid industrial development.

Why should we buy a trailer engine, fix it in a car and try to make it compete with an aircraft? Why should we make people earn mere skills and expect them to compete with foreign sophisticated technologies? We have to know that the issue of local production of goods and services is a serious competetion with the developed nations.

Some questions for the proponents of entrepreneurship/vocational education.
 When will out textile, fashion and leather industry be able to make products of international standard? When will a Nigerian mechanic be able to manufacture car engines and other motor parts? When will our furniture makers be able to make furniture that will compete with ones made overseas? When will a computer repairer be able to produce motherboards, memorycards, monitors, just to mention a few?

Did America achieved greatness by emphasising on vocational trainings on how to make shoe polish, bake cake, produce detergents, event decorations , frying akara and establishment of football viewing centres? Did Britain get it right by teaching her youth how to start a beer palour and salon businesses or by ensuring technological dynamism? I wondered if it is mere phone repair training was what brought China among world's  mobile phone producers. Over and over again, I see entrepreneurship and vocational education as a scam.

Take a look at the furniture industry in Nigeria, you'll discover it is almost dead because foreign furniture has flooded the Nigerian market. Foreign furniture makers have been able to introduce much variety of products with various designs, even at exorbitant prices, yet people still buy them. Imported furniture  attains this much because modern machines are regularly produced to make new designs of furniture, but here in Nigeria, we only buy simple tools, we don't engage in design and manufacture of  machines/tools to be used in the furniture industry, so we are perpetually making furniture that cannot compete with the foreign ones. It is only engineering that provides modern machines, stack entrepreneurship cannot.

Entrepreneurship and and vocational education has never helped Nigeria in the manufacture of modern machines for production of finished goods that can compete favourably with imported ones. The best entrepreneurship has offered us is to use social media means to engage in selling of imported products as well as setting up of few businesses with the use of foreign machines. It is appaling for government to still keep preaching the sermon that can never bring solutions to us.

Every sector of the Nigerian economy has been badly affected by the erroneous policy of entrepreneurship and vocational education. From the agricultural sector to the transportation sector, from manufacturing to education, from construction to entertainment, name it, we have rendered our nation incapacitated when it comes to production of goods and services. There can never be abundant job opportunities as long as we keep executing this lame practice. 

I wonder why we have not given so much vocational training to professional operating as doctors, nurses and pharmacist in the medical field. We give this set of people trainings that can make them compete favourably with their foreign counterpart. I believe it should appear proper to the government to substitute entrepreneurship and vocational education with the training they receive in the teaching hospitals.  The government (after emptying the laboratories and workshops of polytechniques and universities) substituted requisite training for our engineers and scientist with entrepreneurship and vocational training, so they are rendered handicapped when it comes to provision of modern goods and services as well as job creation.

It is high time we changed our job creation policy of entrepreneurship and vocational studies to provision of qualitative education at all levels, especially science and technology education so that Nigerian graduates would possess requisite modern and sophisticated skills for our nation and the world market at large. It is only qualitative education and intensive research that can initiate intellectual thinking for creation of innovative goods and services.

Entrepreneurship and vocational studies have been found to have contributed immensely only to economy of nations with massive investments in education and research. Singapore and South Korea are the examples of nations that have eradicated illiteracy and have invested huge funds into science and technology education, so entrepreneurship thrives there.

Let the laboratories and workshops of our secondary schools and higher institutions be adequately equipped with modern and facilities so as to provide avenues for learning practicals. We need to replicate the likes of Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who utilised the qualitative education they obtained in the tetiary institutions to create worldwide business ventures in their fields.

Real entrepreneurship is when Nigerian graduates of electrical engineers can produce transformers, power generation turbines, alternators, televisions from local technologies. Metallurgical engineers must be able to produce steel for oil and gas pipelines as well as in train and car manufacturing. Combustion engines, pumps, hydraulic and pneumatic parts must be what our mechanical engineers must be able to manufacture from their companies. Businesses of agricultural science graduates should able to feed the nation cos they should empowered to do so. This is what is called real entrepreneurship.

Businesses that leads to industrialisation are offshoots of science and technological discoveries and investments. The kind of entrepreneurship Nigeria needs is one in which Nigerian chemical engineers can set up refineries and petrochemical companies with the aid local resources. I would also love to see mobile phones, computers and other information technology gadgets developed and commercialised by Nigerian graduates of computer science. 

The entrepreneurship that Nigeria needs is one in which local engineering enterprises will be able to metamorphous  into multinationals like General Electric, Ford Motors, Chevron, Microsoft Corporations,Tata Steel and the likes. This is how we can solve the problem of unemployment as well as put an end to the massive importation of good in Nigeria. However, with this, Nigeria will become industrialised and be listed among the developed nations of the world.

oneolajire2000@yahoo.co.uk
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by aribisala0(m): 11:09am On Mar 14, 2016
phazotron:

don't mind the op. hes a frustrated dumbass who is directing his frustration and anger at thevwrong audience. this piece is for the federal govt not for the youths like me who areready to take the bull by the horn but are hindered by harsh business environment and tough credit requirements.
I do not think he is frustrated or a dumbass grin. I just think he has not done justice to the subject he chose to write about. It is an interesting subject........

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Jethrolite(m): 11:09am On Mar 14, 2016
JohnNgene:
Hmmm... Your article is deep. Very deep!

The problem I have with it however is that you're attacking our local entrepreneurship from the angle of globalisation.

What do you have to say about the indigenous refining of crude oil in the creeks of Niger Delta for instance? Do you support the further destruction of such resourceful improvised efforts by the Nigerian government under the tag of "illegal refineries"? So that the Nigerian government can build proper refineries of "global standard"? Or do you realise that if government were to support and regulate these so-called illegal refineries, Nigeria would no longer need to import foreign refined oil in about five years time?

And please do not look down on our artisans, soap makers, bead makers, etc. These people would be the CEOs to invest in the industrialization that our country needs.

Forget about the Nigerian government. Have they provided basic amenities like roads and power? Talk more of having a long-term vision of global industrialization you're advocating for here?
You got the message to the point that it is deep, he is not attacking entrepreneurs rather a call to operate competitively and competitively today means globally whether we like it or not. China, Germany, France, Italy, UK, USA, Brazil and other large economies have industries that employ thousands and millions because they use globalisation to their benefit. The local market can not support an economy that wants to grow and be in in the positive year on year. Until we decide to compete globally, there is very little progress Nigeria can make.

For the Niger Delta you spoke of, if the government had any sense, it will pull proven local refiners together into some sort of cooperative and fund them massively. These illegal refiners started by producing diesel only but the last time I checked, they were able to produce petrol and if some technical education is given to them, they will produce most of the products derived from crude.

When your eyes are open to how deep the rot in this country goes, sometimes you just feel like dying or packing and just leave.

Op is correct in every single point he made and I wish people like him are the ones holding proper offices to put their knowledge to work.

3 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 14, 2016
Acidosis:

My brother we have been trying to raise them to world standard since 1900. The problem is the average I.Q of a Nigerian cannot process the same thoughts and abilities of the average Korean. Let's give up on trying to make chips. It is not a must to make chips. This is the time to embrace competitive advantage.

The Nigerian situation can be likened to a pig. Wash, tosh and clean up, it would land in the mud at the end.

We could focus on things we are good at, such as: service sector, entertainment, may be football and comedy. Let's leave engineering to those who can do it better and cheaper.

Religion is one of the factors hindering our intellectual developments. A society that is programmed to call on God for everything will never think nor invent. Too many churches and mosques preaches messages that captivates the mind of the average Nigerian which leads to intellectual slavery. Until we have more quality and properly funded schools than religious centers, we will remain leeches to worlds progress

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 14, 2016
WarRLaY:
the government are not to be blamed , bit the citizen them selves, because we lack sense of thinking (thinking out of the box), people like bill gates, Steve jobs didn't goto college but yet came out successful, why? because they are not afraid of the unknown, they are people who believe they have limited time to live on earth and thought about doing something different
the government is partially to blame..in america education is free except for higher education. Laboratories and computer labs equipped and utilized to the fullest..can you compare that to our dilapidated school system we barely even have well baked teachers to transfer technological drive into pupils. our universities are full of shittt....we only think shell and mobil and if that doesnt work we opt for entrepreneurship,with the government singng the same song because they know they have actually failed.. angry angry angry...

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Nobody: 11:16am On Mar 14, 2016
oneolajire:
I have spoken the bitter truth about Nigeria and not rubbished it. We have been moving in this directionless policy, yet no breakthrough. Why don't we practice entrepreneurship the way successful countries have done?

I believe the best way to develop a country is not by using crude means of production, but by using modern machines and other technological devices that can be improved over time. Blacksmiths can never have the capacity to supply our iron and steel demand, likewise the crude means of refining fuel can never provide quality fuel as well as produce significant quantity to supplement that of the standard refineries.
because lets face it, some narrow minded, primordial individuals who still think and reason that qualitative education responsible for the very successful enterprises in technologically advanced and developed countries you keep mentioning about, is only for a "minuscule" select few and not for everyone. it will also amaze you to note that these people still believe that high quality standard of living should not be for everyone. These are the people responsible for the current economic misadventures.

Final thoughts.....
A larger percentage of people do not understand the importance of ideals such as patriotism, loyalty (strong feeling of support for an organization, individual or an institution). these things are invaluable intangibles that are vital and critical for the integrity, sanity and success of an entity.

......A house with a weak, faulty or no foundation will surely crumble nothwithstanding the expensive vessels therein.
in summation, Nigeria needs visionary leaders that will provide quality leadership to the people!
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by DJBIGGY(m): 11:17am On Mar 14, 2016
oneolajire:
Nigeria is a country where all big investors have no inventions (tangible or intangible) to their credit. Bill Gates, Henry Ford, Michael Dell, Thomas Edison and the likes all have products to patent, but most entrepreneurs we have in Nigeria have invented nothing and have made it through dubious means. 

Entrepreneurship/vocational education is government's way of telling the youth and graduates that she (the government) lacks industrialisation and job creation strategies while the youth have been left to fate.

Entrepreneurship/vocational education is government's way of making the youth/graduates look intellectually lazy and burdensome as well as telling them that they are have been abandoned in the valley of unemployment. Unemployment rate increased simply because government owned industries and companies get strangulated by the python of corruption as well as the refusal of the government to establish new ones.

Entrepreneurship in advanced countries is about innovations, inventions, improvements, expansions, people and institutional empowerment. Modern and sophisticated skills are being utilised to manufacture goods and services which culminates into abundant job creation.

I concur... Entrepreneur is best initiated when the environment is favourable... How can a person think of owning a business venture when the economy is hard and the standard of living is double than what it used to be. Which money will you now say you want to use to own a business?
The government is entrusted to make the lives of its citizens better but we have not seen anything meaningful both in this administration and the previous one. It is just God that is still making is stand the way we are. May God just help us

Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is of the graduate job seeker told to engage in bead making, soap making, hair dressing, laundry and so on. These businesses have neither inventions nor advancement to add to the business practice and the economy, as they also have little or no impact on the international market. 

Entrepreneurship in Nigeria is also of the rich that colludes with the government to defraud the masses, destroy public corporations and infrastructures in order for them to import alternative goods. The rich set up few enterprises and often pay peanuts to their employees in order to increase their wealth; culminating into increase in poverty level and underemployment in the country.  

The government of advanced countries often invest billion of dollars on education and research, so they always have intellectuals who will offer innovative products and services to the world. These products and services are initially developed into small scale businesses as they many even grow into large enterprises. While Nigeria keeps wasting hard earned funds on Small and Medium Scale (SME) development, yet the businesses are nowhere to be found.

Only an insane person will keep doing the same thing the same way and expect a different result. Am yet to see a nation that got developed by investing so little on the education of her youth and students but spend so much on SME propaganda. Still searching for a nation that gave nothing more than mere, non-professional, common, stark and non-sophisticated skills/training to her youth and achieved rapid industrial development.

Why should we buy a trailer engine, fix it in a car and try to make it compete with an aircraft? Why should we make people earn mere skills and expect them to compete with foreign sophisticated technologies? We have to know that the issue of local production of goods and services is a serious competetion with the developed nations.

When will out textile, fashion and leather industry be able to make products of international standard? When will a Nigerian mechanic be able to manufacture car engines and other motor parts? When will our furniture makers be able to make furniture that will compete with ones made overseas? When will a computer repairer be able to produce motherboards, memorycards, monitors, just to mention a few?

Did America achieved greatness by emphasising on vocational trainings on how to make shoe polish, bake cake, produce detergents, event decorations , frying akara and establishment of football viewing centres? Did Britain get it right by teaching her youth how to start a beer palour and salon businesses or by ensuring technological dynamism? I wondered if it is mere phone repair training was what brought China among world's  mobile phone producers. Over and over again, I see entrepreneurship and vocational education as a scam.

Take a look at the furniture industry in Nigeria, you'll discover it is almost dead because foreign furniture has flooded the Nigerian market. Foreign furniture makers have been able to introduce much variety of products with various designs, even at exorbitant prices, yet people still buy them. Imported furniture  attains this much because modern machines are regularly produced to make new designs of furniture, but here in Nigeria, we only buy simple tools, we don't engage in design and manufacture of  machines/tools to be used in the furniture industry, so we are perpetually making furniture that cannot compete with the foreign ones. It is only engineering that provides modern machines, stack entrepreneurship cannot.

Entrepreneurship and and vocational education has never helped Nigeria in the manufacture of modern machines for production of finished goods that can compete favourably with imported ones. The best entrepreneurship has offered us is to use social media means to engage in selling of imported products as well as setting up of few businesses with the use of foreign machines. It is appaling for government to still keep preaching the sermon that can never bring solutions to us.

Every sector of the Nigerian economy has been badly affected by the erroneous policy of entrepreneurship and vocational education. From the agricultural sector to the transportation sector, from manufacturing to education, from construction to entertainment, name it, we have rendered our nation incapacitated when it comes to production of goods and services. There can never be abundant job opportunities as long as we keep executing this lame practice. 

I wonder why we have not given so much vocational training to professional operating as doctors, nurses and pharmacist in the medical field. We give this set of people trainings that can make them compete favourably with their foreign counterpart. I believe it should appear proper to the government to substitute entrepreneurship and vocational education with the training they receive in the teaching hospitals.  The government (after emptying the laboratories and workshops of polytechniques and universities) substituted requisite training for our engineers and scientist with entrepreneurship and vocational training, so they are rendered handicapped when it comes to provision of modern goods and services as well as job creation.

It is high time we changed our job creation policy of entrepreneurship and vocational studies to provision of qualitative education at all levels, especially science and technology education so that Nigerian graduates would possess requisite modern and sophisticated skills for our nation and the world market at large. It is only qualitative education and intensive research that can initiate intellectual thinking for creation of innovative goods and services.

Entrepreneurship and vocational studies have been found to have contributed immensely only to economy of nations with massive investments in education and research. Singapore and South Korea are the examples of nations that have eradicated illiteracy and have invested huge funds into science and technology education, so entrepreneurship thrives there.

Let the laboratories and workshops of our secondary schools and higher institutions be adequately equipped with modern and facilities so as to provide avenues for learning practicals. We need to replicate the likes of Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who utilised the qualitative education they obtained in the tetiary institutions to create worldwide business ventures in their fields.

Real entrepreneurship is when Nigerian graduates of electrical engineers can produce transformers, power generation turbines, alternators, televisions from local technologies. Metallurgical engineers must be able to produce steel for oil and gas pipelines as well as in train and car manufacturing. Combustion engines, pumps, hydraulic and pneumatic parts must be what our mechanical engineers must be able to manufacture from their companies. Businesses of agricultural science graduates should able to feed the nation cos they should empowered to do so. This is what is called real entrepreneurship.

Businesses that leads to industrialisation are offshoots of science and technological discoveries and investments. The kind of entrepreneurship Nigeria needs is one in which Nigerian chemical engineers can set up refineries and petrochemical companies with the aid local resources. I would also love to see mobile phones, computers and other information technology gadgets developed and commercialised by Nigerian graduates of computer science. 

The entrepreneurship that Nigeria needs is one in which local engineering enterprises will be able to metamorphous  into multinationals like General Electric, Ford Motors, Chevron, Microsoft Corporations,Tata Steel and the likes. This is how we can solve the problem of unemployment as well as put an end to the massive importation of good in Nigeria. However, with this, Nigeria will become industrialised and be listed among the developed nations of the world.

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by initialize(m): 11:18am On Mar 14, 2016
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by OBAGADAFFI: 11:18am On Mar 14, 2016
@oneolajire there is a big difference between innovation and entrepreneurship .

Entrepreneur wants to do business and make profit

Innovator wants the new solutions and technologies.

Most Startups innovations are sponsored by Entrepreneurs

Here in Nigeria, we have both the Entrepreneur and Innovators.

But the problem is that Entrepreneurs want quick money making ventures so they afraid to invest their monies into new innovations, and most innovators don't know how to turn the inventions into money making ventures. That why the government most encourage Startup hubs(e.g CCHUB and co) all over the country.
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by banito1(m): 11:19am On Mar 14, 2016
WarRLaY:
the government are not to be blamed , bit the citizen them selves, because we lack sense of thinking (thinking out of the box), people like bill gates, Steve jobs didn't goto college but yet came out successful, why? because they are not afraid of the unknown, they are people who believe they have limited time to live on earth and thought about doing something different
Stop diving into deep waters! Bill Gates had a computer at a time when computers where as expensive as an aeroplane, and he was in high school! Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates where allowed into the lab of IBM( it was a government programme that forced IBM to open up their labs to many smart kids in high school ), then it was the most advanced computer company. They both dropped out of college at different times because they were ahead of their lecturers in the field of computers.

2 Likes

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Acidosis(m): 11:19am On Mar 14, 2016
aribisala0:

Interesting ...........
But is your distinction not Artificial ? Based on your definition EVERY Innovation is in some respects continuous. The definition needs greater clarity

Also you appear to create the impression that YOU introduced the terms ,is that the case?

I know where you're driving at; discontinuous innovation is a paradigm shift, not necessarily a complete overhaul of a preconceived idea.

Someone introduced VIDEO cassettes, another shifted to CD Disk, ROM, someone else thought about Memory Card, these are discontinuous innovations, i.e. A shift from the norm.

If by tomorrow, I introduce a Phone with same specs with Samsung or Tecno, it is still INNOVATION (continuous innovation). So why does it seem like OP has a problem with bead, kunu makers, fashion designers, barbers, and other trades? Is he sad because they don't have the money to be as great as Adidas? Viju milk? Does it mean Viju is innovative while Kunu is not?

By the way, I did not introduced these terms, I'm only pointing out to key understandings on the matter. OP sounded like all big companies are innovative while the petty entrepreneurs are redundant.
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by Lescott7(m): 11:20am On Mar 14, 2016
Sincerely all those things they call entrepreneurship in Nigeria are not in anyway related to the economic and common sense meaning of what entrepreneur actually meant. Most things they call entrepreneurship such as Barbing, tailoring,make-up,bead making etc are Vocational skills and not entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship in a normal sense is beyond what we call it in Nigeria and Universities in Nigeria are actually making this misconception, entrepreneurship is simply seeing opportunities and responding to it positively. The bottom line is that, you are not an entrepreneur when you into or have acquired the so called vocational skills wrongly perceived to be entrepreneurial skills. An entrepreneur is someone who sees opportunities where others fail to see and it's not someone that is learning barbing where there seems to be more than enough barbers.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by NubianX: 11:24am On Mar 14, 2016
The RUBBISH post of a FAILURE and a DEFEATED LOSER!

oneolajire:

1 Like

Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by blacknumbia123(m): 11:25am On Mar 14, 2016
oneolajire:

Fact.
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:26am On Mar 14, 2016
blueseacats:
You nailed it, one thing the op did not mention is that sme's account for more than 80% of employment in developed world . Our major problem is corruption and lack of orientation for the populace.
SME accounts for more than 80% of employment in the developed world?
Can you give me a reference to the source of that information?
Re: Entrepreneurship In Nigeria Is A Scam And A Multiplier Of Poverty by LordIsaac(m): 11:27am On Mar 14, 2016
As this is not ''someone break my heart'' thread, again, we won't find them here. Infact, stay out of this thread. God bless you op. God knows I never partook in that enterprenueral rubbish in camp. I rather practiced more of O'level Maths and I tutor younger minds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Dangote Refinery Begins Operations Amid Lingering Fuel Crisis / Lagos Govt Concludes Plan To Relocate Computer Village (pictured) / Traders, Transporters Reject New Naira Notes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.