Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:54 PM

Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar (2672 Views)

Nneka Ararume That Olisa Metuh Gave $2 Million Cash To Invest (Photo) / How An Igbo Woman Saved Buhari From Coup Plotters In 1984 / A Lagos Igbo Beat APC Chairman's Son To Clinge Lagos Assembly Seat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Afaukwu: 8:21am On Jul 19, 2009
Lagos: Woman gives N3m lottery cash to beggar
Friday, July 17, 2009

A woman who won the national sports lottery has given all her prize money to a street beggar an hour after being given the cheque, a website said.

Rosemary Obiakor, 46, of Lagos, won more than three million naira in the National Sports Lottery, said a report culled from the website.

When asked what she planned to do with the money after she was presented with her cheque in a ceremony on local TV, Mrs Obiakor said she'd give it to a "lucky beggar".

"I have heard a lot of stories about how people win the lottery, and they get broke in the short run and come across a lot of misfortune. I am scared, and so I'll give it to a lucky beggar on the street," she told TV reporters.

She collected her cheque, cashed the money and gave the money to a female beggar who was sitting by the street side with her two-year old baby.

When Mrs Obiakor and a team of lottery executives handed the beggar a bag full of banknotes, she screamed with delight, and hugged them all.

She thanked her benefactor profusely and promised to start a food retail business immediately.

Before she went away with her money, the new 'millionaire' gave handfuls of money to other beggars on the street.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by amarilo: 8:26am On Jul 19, 2009
The same Igbo helping Yoruba beggers. tongue tongue

5 Likes

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by AloyEmeka9: 8:52am On Jul 19, 2009
I've seen this thread before where tpiah cursed the woman and suggested she rather take the money down to Niger Delta where people are dying of hunger instead of Lagos where everybody lives big like Babangida. That comment alone should tell you the kind of woman she is.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Thor(m): 8:57am On Jul 19, 2009
Nice story grin
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by sley4life(m): 9:16am On Jul 19, 2009
Nice story. It shows how kind the igbos are

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Sagamite(m): 10:42am On Jul 19, 2009
What a moronic woman!
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Afam(m): 10:58am On Jul 19, 2009
Sagamite:

What a moronic woman!

Not everyone worships money you know

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by back2back(f): 12:24pm On Jul 19, 2009
this story is full of bullshit!

She collected her cheque, cashed the money and gave the money to a female beggar who was sitting by the street side with her two-year old baby.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by doyin13(m): 12:37pm On Jul 19, 2009
Lol. . . .

The original article made little reference to her ethnicity. . .but of course our nairalanders made sure to correct that anomaly

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by ifyalways(f): 1:10pm On Jul 19, 2009
She try!
But why give the evil money to a beggar?Shifting the badluck to the beggar?
Article wrote the woman claimed its evil money.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Sagamite(m): 1:24pm On Jul 19, 2009
Afam:

Not everyone worships money you know

It is not about worshipping money.

It is about the logic leading to giving it away, 1. Shows she is some superstitious slowpoke.

And 2, about the choice of channel for dispensing it. Giving it to someone that is likely to lose everything within the next 18 months because of likely lack of money management and business acumen. What will a beggar know about how to use N3m?

She would have been better off giving it to a registered charity or setting up one.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 19, 2009
a fool and his money are soon parted never sounded truer. . . cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Jul 19, 2009
ifyalways:

She try!
But why give the evil money to a beggar?Shifting the badluck to the beggar?
Article wrote the woman claimed its evil money.

To show how much she cares for her fellow man? grin
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by KnowAll(m): 4:53pm On Jul 19, 2009
y did she play the lottery in the first place, if u dont play u dont win. the story does not make sense, u dont beleive in something yet u play the lootery. undecided
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Thor(m): 4:59pm On Jul 19, 2009
Just shows how many greedy, short sighted people are in this forum. You are not praising the woman for an unselfish act of charity but shooting her down and calling her names

I think it is a great story and very refreshing. It is even better that she did not give the money to a bunch of whining losers,

Good luck to her and I hope there are many more people like her smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Jul 19, 2009
Ummm . . . . @Thor, maybe you ought to spend time actually reading the article to understand how charitable this woman was.

She mentions how she believes the money would likely bring her badluck, and that is reason why she felt to give it to a beggar, in essence transferring the badluck to the beggar. How charitable is that? Is that how Charity works? Is that really Love in action?
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Thor(m): 5:06pm On Jul 19, 2009
If you believe in this typical African superstitious nonsense then that is not my problem. The poor people got the money which is a good thing. She could have burnt it undecided

She was scared that the money would change her life for the worse, not that it was jinxed or was bewitched.

So she did the right thing and gave it to the poor. GOOD JOB grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by bilymuse: 5:12pm On Jul 19, 2009
[size=18pt]@ Afaukwu
can you please provide us with the link for varification[/size]
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Kobojunkie: 5:13pm On Jul 19, 2009
If you believe in this typical African superstitious nonsense then that is not my problem. The poor people got the money which is a good thing. She could have burnt it

She was scared that the money would change her life for the worse, not that it was jinxed or was bewitched.

So she did the right thing and gave it to the poor. GOOD JOB

Isn’t Charity about the intentions of the giver here? The giver in this case gave the money in order to pass the curse along to the beggar, and you believe that is charitable? I don’t have to believe in African superstitions to know that is just wrong and has nothing to do with actual charity.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Thor(m): 5:18pm On Jul 19, 2009
The money ended up in the hands of the people that needed it, can not see the problem or the issue?
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by agabaI23(m): 5:21pm On Jul 19, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Ummm . . . . @Thor, maybe you ought to spend time actually reading the article to understand how charitable this woman was.

She mentions how she believes the money would likely bring her badluck, and that is reason why she felt to give it to a beggar, in essence transferring the badluck to the beggar. How charitable is that? Is that how Charity works? Is that really Love in action?

When I saw the headline yesterday I was excited like Afaukwu but when I read the content, I had mixed feeling. I reasoned like KOBO
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jul 19, 2009
The money ended up in the hands of the people that needed it, can not see the problem or the issue?

the woman was not giving the money out of a sense of altruism - but more out of superstituous fear - sort of like horror movies where people keep trying to pass on a bad luck charm to some unsuspecting sucker
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by 4Play(m): 7:45pm On Jul 19, 2009
The woman is probably mentally unstable.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Sagamite(m): 9:15pm On Jul 19, 2009
oyb:

the woman was not giving the money out of a sense of altruism - but more out of superstituous fear - sort of like horror movies where people keep trying to pass on a bad luck charm to some unsuspecting sucker

Which makes her a slowpoke.
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Afaukwu: 6:37am On Jul 20, 2009
bilymuse:

[size=18pt]@ Afaukwu
can you please provide us with the link for varification[/size]

I can provide the link if it is for verification, but not varification. So much for intelligence
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by bilymuse: 5:42pm On Jul 20, 2009
[size=19pt]@ Afaukwu
I stand corrected
please provide us with the link for verification[/size]
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by bilymuse: 6:06pm On Jul 20, 2009
While this is the good Samaritan:
[size=20pt]Rosemary Obiakor[/size]

Wonders shall never end
I am extremely proud of this woman for proving that even among the most stingy of people, there are those with a mighty heart

source:http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=148976

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Recognise: 6:07pm On Jul 20, 2009
For varification or verification

- whatever  grin anyways here it is . . .

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=148976
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by MrCrackles(m): 6:07pm On Jul 20, 2009
Very nice! cheesy
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by Thor(m): 5:55am On Jul 21, 2009
She is one damn ugly woman shocked
Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by bilymuse: 7:01am On Jul 21, 2009
thor
She is one damn ugly woman Shocked

You are a fool without any sense of natural endowments

She is one of the most beautiful Igbo woman that ever live
Definitely, the most beautiful I ever come across
with an incredible heart of gold
A true pride of Ndigbo

If that stingy bald-headed hypocrite who called himself Ojukwu is one percent (1%) as nice as that woman, the Igbo people will be in paradise.

Re: Lagos: Igbo Woman Gives N3m Lottery Cash To Beggar by ezeagu(m): 7:21am On Jul 21, 2009
bilymuse:

If that stingy bald-headed hypocrite who called himself Ojukwu is one percent (1%) as nice as that woman, the Igbo people will be in paradise.

What's that got to do with this topic? undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lowest Paid Nigerian Should Be Paid N200,000.00 Per Annum / El-rufai Suspends Planned Return To Nigeria / Ibori: End Of The Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.