Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,472 members, 7,801,194 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:11 PM

New Zealand Skilled Worker Category - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Zealand Skilled Worker Category (111974 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 8:04pm On Mar 12, 2016
This topic was inspired by a slight "derailment" on the Canadian thread.

I am not very knowledgeable on the subject but I think we can exchange ideas and gradually get more information on the subject.

Let me share a few of what I have found out so far.

First, as a skilled worker hopeful, the first thing to do is to check if your skills are in demand. It is noteworthy that there are immediate skilled shortages and long-term skilled shortages.

Second is to check if you are eligible. If the finding is positive, the next thing to do is to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).

Be ready to cough out about $530 to support the application smiley

Let us keep the thread going with useful, relevant and practical information. Cheers!

The following links are relevant in this regard:

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/immediate-skill-shortage-list-2015-03-30-.pdf

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/long-term-skill-shortage-list-2015-03-30-.pdf

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/move-to-new-zealand/before-you-apply

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/default.htm

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-in-nz/nz-jobs-industries

Looping: akeenade, hartson, mozo, justwise

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by Heshei: 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2016
I hope to get more info about NZ while following this thread ...

1 Like

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by Kro1: 8:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
Nice one @40manlappy

I'm following this thread bumper to bumper

1 Like

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 11:13pm On Mar 12, 2016
Wikipedia has summarized the entire process. It tallies with what I have read so far about NZ Immigration. Enjoy reading....

The Skilled Migrant Category (SMC) is the way skilled migrants qualify to gain Permanent Residence (PR) to New Zealand. It is managed by Immigration New Zealand under the Immigration Act [2009], and currently has a target of attracting 26,000 migrants per year.

The SMC replaced in the late 1990s a seriously flawed system that had resulted thousands of supposedly skilled migrants coming into NZ, who were subsequently unable to work in their skilled professions in NZ due to various factors, such as their overseas qualifications not being recognised in NZ, were unable to get occupational registration in NZ, or were unable to speak English.

Introduction
The SMC combines both a points-based system as well as minimum requirements. While the points can vary (although the minimum points allowed under law is 100), the minimum requirements are that one be aged 55 or under, be healthy, be of good character, and speak English (or pay an English Language Tuition Bond).

The Points system
Under the SMC, points are allocated for age, work experience, employment in New Zealand and qualifications, amongst other categories.

Skilled employment

For skilled employment, an applicant gets 50 points for either skilled job offer in New Zealand, or if the applicant is already working in a skilled job in New Zealand for less than 12 months. If the applicant is working in a skilled job in New Zealand for more than 12 months, they get 60 points. If the job is outside the Auckland Region, a further 30 bonus points are allocated.

However, INZ only recognises certain jobs as being skilled, and these occupations are contained on Appendix 6 in the INZ manual. In addition, the applicant must also meet the work experience and qualifications prescribed to that job by the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO).

Qualifications
For qualifications, an applicant gets 40 points recognised level 4-6 qualification (e.g. trade qualification, diploma), 50 points for a recognised level 7 or 8 qualification (e.g. bachelor's degree, bachelor's degree with honours), and 60 points for recognised level 9 or 10 post-graduate qualifications (master's degree, doctorate).

Foreign qualifications must be verified by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority before points can be claimed, although there are numerous exceptions to this rule. This process can take several months

If the applicant has studied in NZ, they can get 10 points for either two years full-time study in New Zealand completing a recognised bachelor's degree New Zealand qualification, or completing one year of full-time study in New Zealand completing a recognised post-graduate New Zealand qualification (15 points for 2 years' post-graduate study).

Work experience in skilled employment

Under this category, one gets the following points for skilled employment anywhere in the world:
10 points: 2 years
15 points: 4 years
20 points: 6 years
25 points: 8 years
30 points: 10 years

In addition to this, the applicant can also get bonus points for skilled work experience in New Zealand, five points for one year's experience, 10 points for two years' experience, and 15 points for three or more years' experience.

If the work experience is in an area of absolute skills shortage, for 2 to 5 years' work experience the applicant gets 10 points, and for 6 or more years' experience 15 points. However, to qualify for these points, the job must be on the Long-term Skill Shortage List, and the applicant must have the prescribed amount of work experience and qualifications.

The immigration officer will need 2 forms of evidence to prove work experience, such as payslips, bank statements (showing one's pay), letters from the Inland Revenue Department (tax), Work and Income New Zealand (social security) deduction documents, work references, etc.

Points for age are allocated on the following basis:
30 points: 20–29 years
25 points: 30–39 years
20 points: 40–44 years
10 points: 45–49 years
5 points: 50–55 years

Close family
Under this category, an applicant can get 10 points for having a close family member residing in New Zealand. However, the relative is limited to either an adult child or adult brother or sister, or parent of the applicant or the applicant's spouse.

The family member must also not only be a permanent resident of New Zealand, but they have done so for the last 3 years. For this category the applicant must get their relative to provide numerous banks statements, bills, etc., for each of the last 3 years as proof of residence in NZ.

Spouse
If an applicant's spouse has a skilled job or skilled job offer in NZ, they can get 20 points. Also if the spouse holds a level 4-6 qualification they can get 10 points, and if their partner holds a level 7+ qualification they get 20 points.

The Selection Process
The process commences with lodging an Expression of Interest form, either on a paper form or online, and paying the appropriate fee. As of September 2014, it costs NZ$650 to make a paper application and NZ$530 for an online application.[1]

INZ makes a selection out of the pool. Applicants with 140 points or more are generally automatically accepted without having to go into the pool.

If there are not enough applicants with 140 points or more, applicants with a skilled job or skilled job offer in New Zealand are selected. When 100 points are reached, INZ starts selecting from applicants claiming 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills job shortage. When all these are selected, they then go to the applicants claiming 15 points for work experience in an area of absolute skills job shortage.

Once an applicant's EOI has been selected, they are notified by mail. An immigration officer is then assigned to the application. Recently this has taken up to 3 months. By July 2014 INZ is aiming to assign a case officer within 2 weeks.

When the immigration officer is assigned, it is requested that one verifies their claims in their EOI, plus supply a medical, a police clearance certificate, and proof of English ability. Four months are given to submit all this, otherwise the application lapses.

After all this is provided and verified, one is then given a letter saying one is approved for Residence. However, residence is not granted until the applicant's passport is sent to INZ, and the prescribed fee is paid. Three months are given to do this, otherwise the offer of residence lapses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skilled_Migrant_Category_(New_Zealand)

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 2:42pm On Mar 13, 2016
40manlappy:
This topic was inspired by a slight "derailment" on the Canadian thread.

I am not very knowledgeable on the subject but I think we can exchange ideas and gradually get more information on the subject.

Let me share a few of what I have found out so far.

First, as a skilled worker hopeful, the first thing to do is to check if your skills are in demand. It is noteworthy that there are immediate skilled shortages and long-term skilled shortages.

Second is to check if you are eligible. If the finding is positive, the next thing to do is to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).

Be ready to cough out about $530 to support the application smiley

Let us keep the thread going with useful, relevant and practical information. Cheers!

The following links are relevant in this regard:

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/immediate-skill-shortage-list-2015-03-30-.pdf

http://skillshortages.immigration.govt.nz/assets/uploads/long-term-skill-shortage-list-2015-03-30-.pdf

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/move-to-new-zealand/before-you-apply

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/work/skilledmigrant/default.htm

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/work-in-nz/nz-jobs-industries

Looping: akeenade, hartson, mozo, justwise

Welldone Bros,I have been thinking on how to come up with this.You got it.let the thread flow now

4 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 3:06pm On Mar 13, 2016
Anyone who wishes to submit NZ Expression Of Interest-Skilled Migrant Category should first of all use this link

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/ for self assessment to determine the points you will achieve using the information you fill in the

Skilled Migrant Category Points Indicator then click on calculate at the end of the form.Your score range will be displayed

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 9:47pm On Mar 13, 2016
hartson:

Welldone Bros,I have been thinking on how to come up with this.You got it.let the thread flow now

smiley

Welcome bro.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by akeenade: 8:17am On Mar 14, 2016
Sorry hartson I was busy during the weekend trying to find an agent who had some knowledge about NZ. I am primarily in the research phase myself but this is good work. well done bro. I will contribute as best as I can. But remember I still be JJC for this parole o.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by akeenade: 9:20am On Mar 14, 2016
http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm

This manual may come in handy as well. The whole process is explained in it. I just began reading. Will update findings later.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 9:22am On Mar 14, 2016
40manlappy:

smiley

Welcome bro.

cheers man,let everyone hop in and lets go there.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 9:27am On Mar 14, 2016
akeenade:
Sorry hartson I was busy during the weekend trying to find an agent who had some knowledge about NZ. I am primarily in the research phase myself but this is good work. well done bro. I will contribute as best as I can. But remember I still be JJC for this parole o.

No qualms.All hands will be on deck to make this thread a channel of success stories for NZ hopefuls.Unity is strength.cheers

3 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by Ekicedar: 10:04am On Mar 14, 2016
Hello Hartson,

I cant find my occupation among d short and long term occupation need but its in the general skilled migrant category.
What will I do?

Skilled Migrant Category Points Indicator then click on calculate at the end of the form.Your score range will be displayed[/quote]
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 12:17pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ekicedar:
Hello Hartson,

I cant find my occupation among d short and long term occupation need but its in the general skilled migrant category.
What will I do?

Skilled Migrant Category Points Indicator then click on calculate at the end of the form.Your score range will be displayed

not seeing your occupation in the short and long term occupation list does not mean you can't apply.An applicant gets extra bonus point if his or her occupation is listed in the short and long term occupation.

As far as I know you can apply so long you found your occupation in the general skilled category but won't get bonus point.

2 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by akeenade: 12:32pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ekicedar:
Hello Hartson,

What will I do?

The goal is to get at least 140 points cumulatively. I am certain other factors can boost this points, remember: "The objective of the Skilled Migrant Category is to provide for the grant of a resident visa to people who demonstrate that they:

- have skills to fill identified needs and opportunities in New Zealand; and
- are able to transfer those skills to New Zealand and link with local needs and opportunities; and
- are able to demonstrate an ability to contribute to New Zealand both economically and socially; and
- are able to demonstrate an ability to successfully settle in New Zealand.

There are so many other factors to be considered.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 1:45pm On Mar 14, 2016
you are quite correct akeenade.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by LastProphet: 7:46am On Mar 15, 2016
have any of you checked world map to see the location of NZ? Do you know how deep into ocean that island is? Are you aware it's an earthquake prone country so much so their govt installed tsunami early warning system? A word is enough for the wise

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 8:39am On Mar 15, 2016
LastProphet:
have any of you checked world map to see the location of NZ? Do you know how deep into ocean that island is? Are you aware it's an earthquake prone country so much so their govt installed tsunami early warning system? A word is enough for the wise

Get behind me satan. shocked shocked shocked shocked

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 8:46am On Mar 17, 2016
Hello House,there job sites where you can register for jobs in case you are done with submitting the online EOI
sites like kiwis,seek,workhere and few others I can't remember.make sure you fill in all the reqiured information on these sites and have the softcopy of your CV ready for upload where necessary

4 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by Tinyemeka(m): 6:25pm On Mar 30, 2016
hartson:

Get behind me satan. shocked shocked shocked shocked

grin
Na crusade you dey go?

How about Australia?

2 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 9:00pm On Mar 30, 2016
Tinyemeka:

grin
Na crusade you dey go?

How about Australia?

There is a thread for it. See below

https://www.nairaland.com/2338380/general-australian-visa-enquiries-part
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 9:57am On Mar 31, 2016
Tinyemeka:

grin
Na crusade you dey go?

How about Australia?

Aussie is also a nice destination country.only and only if you will able to meet their immigration requirements.Lots of people migrate to New Zealand thereafter to Aussie. You need not to apply for Aussie PR once you are a New Zealand PR holder.

3 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 9:11am On Apr 02, 2016
hartson:

Aussie is also a nice destination country.only and only if you will able to meet their immigration requirements.Lots of people migrate to New Zealand thereafter to Aussie. You need not to apply for Aussie PR once you are a New Zealand PR holder.

@bolded: I thought it is the other way round i.e. You need not to apply for NZ PR once you are an Australian PR holder

I read somewhere that NZ PR does not give one automatic right for Aussie PR. Please verify.

1 Like

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by WhyNa: 9:46am On Apr 02, 2016
40manlappy:

@bolded: I thought it is the other way round i.e. You need not to apply for NZ PR once you are an Australian PR holder

I read somewhere that NZ PR does not give one automatic right for Aussie PR. Please verify.

True, I have a friend who's from NZ but currently living and working in Aussie. Wants to apple for a PR
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by WhyNa: 9:46am On Apr 02, 2016
40manlappy:

True, I have a friend who's from NZ but currently living and working in Aussie. Wants to apply for a PR
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 3:43pm On Apr 02, 2016
40manlappy:

hi 40manlappy,A NZ PR holder does not apply to become Aussie PR again and vise vasa.The 2 nation have things in common.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by kayla12(f): 12:53pm On Apr 03, 2016
Pls like how much should one have as a budget for this journey.
Thank yoû
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 4:56pm On Apr 03, 2016
kayla12:
Thank yoû

I have not seen any lump sum as to what you will have as POF.Firstly,I know you will pay $138 for pre-evaluation of your credential,$530 for the EOI online app to get into the pool then you pay for a full evaluation after you have been invited to apply at the cost of $780.00 so your POF will probably be stated in the ITA letter.Hope that helps

2 Likes

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by kayla12(f): 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2016
Thank you
hartson:

I have not seen any lump sum as to what you will have as POF.Firstly,I know you will pay $138 for pre-evaluation of your credential,$530 for the EOI online app to get into the pool then you pay for a full evaluation after you have been invited to apply at the cost of $780.00 so your POF will probably be stated in the ITA letter.Hope that helps
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by 40manlappy: 7:58pm On Apr 03, 2016
kayla12:
Thank yoû

So far, I have not come across the requirement to have a "Proof of Fund" (POF) on their website.

1 Like

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by kayla12(f): 8:22am On Apr 04, 2016
Ok thank you
I'm just trying work on a budget

40manlappy:

So far, I have not come across the requirement to have a "Proof of Fund" (POF) on their website.

1 Like

Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by alongie024: 12:23pm On Apr 20, 2016
New Zealand Skills Immigrants program is so confusing.
1. why CO will be deducting point when it stated in their requirement e.g level 6 point - 50 points (ICT business analsyt) withHND in Business Administration with IT certifications (Oracle dba,Sap hana,Itil v3 ) over 13 years working experinence.
having skills nominated under absolute skill shortage . CO stated that i can not claim points in long term skill shortage refering to column 3& 4.
Re: New Zealand Skilled Worker Category by hartson(m): 1:07pm On Apr 20, 2016
alongie024:
New Zealand Skills Immigrants program is so confusing.
1. why CO will be deducting point when it stated in their requirement e.g level 6 point - 50 points (ICT business analsyt) withHND in Business Administration with IT certifications (Oracle dba,Sap hana,Itil v3 ) over 13 years working experinence.
having skills nominated under absolute skill shortage . CO stated that i can not claim points in long term skill shortage refering to column 3& 4.

Your ascertion is quite confusing also.I read your statement over and over again until I was able to understand what you are talking about.

Have you started the main EOI Skilled Migration app or you are still trying to use the free online assessment to find out your eligiblity.
1.The exact point that will be awarded base on your qualification will be when you have done the educational pre-assessment ie PAR but if you are still assessing your eligibility using the free online platform and award yourself level 6 for 50 points it will not reflect the same when you eventually do the qualification pre-assessment.
if my explanation is not clear then summarise your first question let be elaborate more on it

2.you will get bonus point awarded to you if your skill is among the list of absolute skill shortage if not they will not award you any bonus point then if the skill is among the long term skill shortage a bonus point will also be given but from my own observation so far,the occupations in both list are always different
I don't think you will claim points for both.they classified the occupations in short term and long term bases.so your occupation can't be in short term as well as long term skill shortage.i will clarify you more if you wish

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Norway: The Most Beautiful Country On Earth? The Amazing Landscape (Photos) / Lockdown Ease: What 3rd Mainland Bridge Looks Like This Morning / Top 7 Countries To Migrate From Nigeria In 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.