Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana (5560 Views)

The Insanely Colourful, Elaborate, Custom Coffins From Ghana (photos) / Ghana: Corpse Exhumed Day After It Was Buried For Not Obeying Custom Of Land / Beautiful Pictures Of Nigerian Traditional Wedding Attires For Brides And Grooms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana by amakoro(m): 8:41pm On Mar 12, 2016
Few weeks ago I wrote on the traditional wedding of the EWE and AKAN people from Ghana, the article spark up interesting comments and observations from readers especially those from Ghana. One recurrent observation is the door knocking ceremony done by the groom and his people. I want to say thank you all for your comments. Today I will be writing on the traditional wedding customs of the Akuapem people.

The Akuapem people are multi-ethnic; they are a combination of Guans (volta-camoe speaking) and Akan people (kwa-speaking). The Akuapem are the most humble set of people in Ghana, they are also peaceful and respectful too. There is a saying about the Akuapem people, “they are the only people that apologizes to you even when they want to insult you”. For instance, when you annoy an Akuapem man, he will say “I am very sorry but you are a fool”. Hahahaha!!! Funny isn’t it.

TRADITIONAL WEDDING CUSTOMS AMONG THE AKUAPEM

When a young man finds a woman he wants to marry, he discusses with his parent about it. The parent sends out search to look into the girl’s character and family history. Satisfied by the findings the man’s parent reaches out to girl’s parent through a spokesperson about their son intention. A bottle of gin is presented, the girl’s parent will discharge the messenger, and the reply to their quest will be communicated to them in due cause.

The parent of the bride carries out their own investigation about the man’s family. When the girl has agreed to marry the man and her parent also satisfied with the outcome of their search, words are sent to the in-law through the spokesperson for a date fix for both families to formally meet each other.
On the said date the groom present a bottle of gin and some money, this act is known as the door knocking – officially proposing to court her.

WEDDING CELEBRATION

The wedding event is adorned with beautiful colors and gorgeous Akuapem clothing/attire. There are a lot to eat and drink, the whole place filled with people both young and old.
The bride will sit on a wooden stool at the side of her parent and her paternal uncle; it’s the duty of her paternal uncle to give her hand out in marriage on behalf of her father

Get complete article at http://amarachia..com/2016/03/traditional-wedding-custom-of-akuapem.html

Re: Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana by tpiah11: 10:07pm On Mar 12, 2016
ok.

Did you receive word that some quarters are shopping for a bride or something?

just curious.
Re: Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana by amakoro(m): 10:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
tpiah11:
ok.

Did you receive word that some quarters are shopping for a bride or something?

just curious.

Ask me again lipsrsealed
Re: Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana by tpiar: 11:37pm On Mar 12, 2016
amakoro:

Ask me again lipsrsealed

ok, bring out your light skinned ladies then, for us to choose from.

Hurry up because other regions will also be contending.
Re: Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana by hmmph: 10:19am On Apr 14, 2016
tpiar:

ok, bring out your light skinned ladies then, for us to choose from.

Hurry up because other regions will also be contending.
self hating slave, crazy

(1) (Reply)

10 Stunning Tribal Facial Tattoos From Around The World / Online English To Igbo Translator ? / ‘igbo Language May Go Extinct’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.