Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,304 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:01 PM

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K (41193 Views)

Nigerian Man Who Vowed To Be Deported From Canada Over His Dead Body Dies / My Sister To Be Deported Back To Nigeria On Arrival In Israel This Morning / South Africans Blast Nigerians On Facebook: "Nigerians Must Be Deported" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by GurlFriend: 12:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nigerians, from next month, non-EU migrants in the UK earning less than £35,000 will be deported.

The new Home Office policy, which comes into force on April 6, applies to all overseas workers who have been in the UK for five years on a Tier 2 visa.

If they can’t prove that they’re earning more than £35,000, they will be denied settlement and will face deportation.

Teachers, IT professionals and journalists could all be badly affected.

A petition launched at the beginning of the year called for the threshold to be reconsidered – it gathered more than 100,000 signatures and was debated in parliament last week.

So what’s actually changing?

To settle in the UK as a skilled worker, non-EU migrants need to have a Tier 2 visa. For this you need:

An offer for a job in the UK that pays at least £20,800
Have had at least £945 in your bank account for 90 days
A certificate of sponsorship from your employer (which can cost between £536 and £1,476)
To pay a £200 annual healthcare surcharge
To prove your English language proficiency

After five years on this visa, skilled workers are able to apply for ‘indefinite leave to remain’ – and this is what is about to change.

From April, anyone applying for indefinite leave to remain will need to earn at least £35,000.

Nurses are temporarily exempt from this threshold, along with PhD-level jobs and any professions that have been on the official ‘shortage occupation list’ while the person has been living here.

However, the earnings threshold could be applied to migrant nurses in the future.

Teachers aren’t exempt (unless they are professors in certain disciplines). Even David Cameron’s mum has lost her job because of Tory cuts

In fact, the Home Office’s own analysis of the policy in 2012 revealed that the new threshold would have a significant impact on teachers, IT professionals and marketing managers.

What if I’ve been in the UK for more than five years?
Then you won’t be deported – the new rule doesn’t apply to anyone who entered the country on a Tier 2 visa on or before April 5 2011.

I’ve been here for a decade, will I be deported?
No – as long as you’ve been living here for 10 continuous years, you can apply for indefinite leave to remain with no salary threshold.

So if you came here in 2006 as a student visa, then moved directly onto a skilled workers’ visa, you can apply to settle here regardless of how much you earn.

The only condition is that you can’t have left the UK for more than 180 days at a time, or 540 days in total.

I’m here on a marriage visa, will I have to leave?

No, the changes only apply to people on a Tier 2 visa.

http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/12/from-april-people-will-be-deported-for-earning-less-than-35000-5748436/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by henrydadon(m): 2:32pm On Mar 14, 2016
hahahaha..Interesting...wait until Donald trump becomes president..he will dump trump all of them outside.. grin grin

32 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by SouthernBreeze(m): 2:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
Buhari travels is really yielding positive results grin grin

With the way we're going presently, Somalia might start deporting Nigerians grin

78 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Nobody: 2:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hilarious..

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Atmmachine(m): 2:33pm On Mar 14, 2016
UK of all places ??
I would rather be in Nigeria than live in UK.

The only country in the world is USA.

128 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by PeteVlogger: 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
This news is a very sad one... What are our ambassadors doing

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by 2sydoflyf(m): 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
My uncle should be on his way back to Nigeria. That man never even fit send bread come house since he comot. Maybe na because e salary no reach £35,000.

178 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
Sijo01:
Anything can happen in buhari's government so I'm not surprised.

otijah:
This Buhari Regime sef undecided

Are you guys related to Trump's family?

20 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Sijo01(f): 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
Anything can happen in buhari's government so I'm not surprised.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Opinedecandid(m): 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hmmmmm.

Speechless.

Everywhere, everyone looks at a poor man with suspicion. What a world!

That's why we won't let Governor Elrufai's antics discourage us. We will continue to tell people about heaven. That's the only place where you are not rated based on your status.

Lay up your treasures where moth and rot cannot corrupt.
Be wise. Be saved. Be born again.

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by tgmservice: 2:34pm On Mar 14, 2016
This can't affect me as I earn over a million pounds monthly in the UK

13 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by orijintv(m): 2:35pm On Mar 14, 2016
So Yu Mean All D Shakara Wey Mbok Do For Mhe Just Cos Say She Nack Enta UK Go Soon End grin grin . . Make I Go Freshen Up, Cos Na Mai Turn To Do Shakara Dis April smiley smiley kiss

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by otijah(m): 2:35pm On Mar 14, 2016

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Obiwannn: 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
The Trump effect everywhere cry

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by omotonyx(f): 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
Ah! There is problem

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by koolguy88(m): 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
You guys in diaspora should better start coming back home so that we can join hands and fix the mess here in Naija

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by donigspain(m): 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
Come back brethren! Let's rebuild Nigeria. grin grin

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by nickxtra(m): 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
London bridge is falling down, falling down ;DLondon bridge is falling down, falling down

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Ayento: 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
PeteVlogger:
gbayi .They are useless at working but embezzlement is their Passion

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Nobody: 2:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
Atmmachine:
UK of all places ??
I would rather be in Nigeria than live in UK.

The only country in the world is USA.

lol trump come to power, in go deport everybody, grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by teepsee(f): 2:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Everybody is tired if hosting non productive entity, except Nigeria who don't know who are it's citizens

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Ayento: 2:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
PeteVlogger:
gbayi .They are useless at working but embezzlement and looting our money Is their work

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by nairaman66(m): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
I say screw the uk.., it's just a glorified Lagos! This will actually affect their IGR since most skilled workforce are not from the UK.

11 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Atmmachine(m): 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
ikp4succes:

lol trump come to power, in go deport everybody, grin grin cheesy

Deport ??
You haven't been to America.
You think you can wake up one day and start deporting people ??

Serial killers who killed 200 people are given a free legal representatives.
If Osama bin laden was caught alive, we is entitled to have the best lawyer in the world for free.

In America, a police cannot enter your house or search your car without a search warrant.
How do you think you can just wake up and decide to deport people.

And for your information, if there are 100 Nigerians in America, 2 are illegal.
The illegal aliens are the Mexicans and people from south, and northern american.

Do you homework

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by 4nobody4every1: 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
grin grin
Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Nobody: 2:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
na wah o... i thought Buhari visit is for peaceful concern

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by DaFlash: 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Confused UK

And they are currently accepting refugee migrants from middle east en masse which they end up wecking havoc on them
but they choose to deport hardworking nigerians. it not their fault i blame our leaders angry angry angry

10 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by sandman007: 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
otijah:
See your head like that Cassava wey dem discover

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians To Be Deported From UK For Earning Less Than £35K by Kreamie(m): 2:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Welcome home in advance people of the abroad grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? / Woman Hijacks Commercial Bus From Lagos Driver (Video, Photo) / Nigerian Lady In Italy For 30 Years Blasts Nigerian Embassy In Italy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.