Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,324 members, 7,780,806 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:46 PM

U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw (3427 Views)

Nigeria’s gas revenue drops by 50% / Nigeria’s Gas Revenue Drops By 50% / Commisioning Of Unit 6 (1320 MW) Egbin Power Station -live On Nta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by naijatoday: 3:17pm On Jul 20, 2009
Disturbed by the destruction of some oil platforms by militants, the Federal Government is considering sourcing dry gas for power plants from the United States and Argentina.

The government is placing the two countries on standby for the supply of dry gas to meet its December deadline for 6,000MW.

The Presidential Steering Committee on National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) has claimed that although the nation is generating 4500MW but only 2,500MW is being transmitted.

The energy currently available is put at about 1,800MW, owing to the destruction of pipelines and platforms by MEND. This has made supply of dry gas to power plants difficult.

The government had about a month ago approved $2.6billion for Joint Venture (JV) partners to supply gas.

Some of the benefiting partners include Shell Petroleum Development Company, Mobil, Total and Chevron, which run most of the gas facilities in the country.

But the attacks on Shell and Chevron facilities have threatened the supply of dry gas to the power plants.

The attacks forced Shell and Chevron to shut down their operations in key areas where dry gas can be sourced.

It was gathered that the gas constraint made the Minister of State for Power, Nuhu Way, to address the press last week on the challenge being faced by the government.

To avoid last-minute disappointment, findings revealed that the government came up with a Plan B.

A highly-placed government official, who pleaded for anonymity, said: "We are determined to meet the 6,000MW by December and that is why President Umaru Yar’Adua is pumping money into the sector.

"Although MEND declared a 60-day ceasefire the damage caused by previous attacks was enormous.

"As part of remedial steps, the Federal Government is already looking forward to the United States (US) and Argentina for the supply of dry gas to put the power plants at optimal level.

"You know due to lack of dry gas, the hydro-power stations in Kainji, Shiroro, and Jebba are presently being overstretched. We cannot afford to wait till these hydro-plants breakdown before we act.

"The Minister of Power, Rilwanu Babalola, has been telling the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (whose duty is to provide the dry gas) that time is running out. That is why we are looking towards the US and Argentina."

Asked what will become of the $2.6billion hitherto remitted to the JV partners, the source said: "We have a contractual obligation with them and if they can’t meet our target, there is a clause taking care of such an issue.

"I think JV partners understand the power situation we are confronted with. There is no cause for alarm."

Babalola on Saturday addressed the Board of Trustees of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on the power situation.

A member of the BOT, who confided in The Nation, said: "The Minister assured us that the December target is still achievable for the 6,000MW.

"All our leaders, including ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, were interested in having stable power supply nationwide. We are hopeful that the Minister’s assurance will come to pass."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web/articles/10976/1/US-Argentina-may-supply-gas-for-6000-MW/Page1.html

December is fast approaching
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by DisGuy: 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2009
na wa what next import water from somalia?

basically this guy is trying to buy enough gas just december 2009 lipsrsealed
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Ibime(m): 3:27pm On Jul 20, 2009
And all the gas we are busy flaring nko?

Visionless leadership.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Kx: 3:31pm On Jul 20, 2009
Major oil and gas producer!Exports crude oil and gas.

Import fuel,kerosene etc.
Now to import gas? shocked

Why dont MEND etc just blow up everything we have so dat we can justifiably import?

While human life and d environment bears d condemnable heat from gas flaring,dem still wan import
what dey have wasted thru flaring?

Does dis ppl think at all?
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by philip0906(m): 3:34pm On Jul 20, 2009
lets leave them oo.since they say they r importing it for the generation of their target of 6000megawatts by december.God know say if d december reach light no dey or grammar pass action,no option than to finish all the morons wey call themselves leaders. undecided
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by blacksta(m): 3:44pm On Jul 20, 2009
I am sure the masses will care less where the gas comes from even if it is from the Moon. All we want is constant Electricity.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by philip0906(m): 3:46pm On Jul 20, 2009
blacksta:

I am sure the masses will care less where the gas comes from even if it is from the Moon. All we want is constant Electricity.
GBAM!!!!
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by vigasimple(m): 3:47pm On Jul 20, 2009
naijatoday:

Disturbed by the destruction of some oil platforms by militants, the Federal Government is considering sourcing dry gas for power plants from the United States and Argentina.

The government is placing the two countries on standby for the supply of dry gas to meet its December deadline for 6,000MW.

The Presidential Steering Committee on National Integrated Power Projects (NIPP) has claimed that although the nation is generating 4500MW but only 2,500MW is being transmitted.

The energy currently available is put at about 1,800MW, owing to the destruction of pipelines and platforms by MEND. This has made supply of dry gas to power plants difficult.
The government had about a month ago approved $2.6billion for Joint Venture (JV) partners to supply gas.

Some of the benefiting partners include Shell Petroleum Development Company, Mobil, Total and Chevron, which run most of the gas facilities in the country.

But the attacks on Shell and Chevron facilities have threatened the supply of dry gas to the power plants.

The attacks forced Shell and Chevron to shut down their operations in key areas where dry gas can be sourced.

It was gathered that the gas constraint made the Minister of State for Power, Nuhu Way, to address the press last week on the challenge being faced by the government.

To avoid last-minute disappointment, findings revealed that the government came up with a Plan B.

A highly-placed government official, who pleaded for anonymity, said: "We are determined to meet the 6,000MW by December and that is why President Umaru Yar’Adua is pumping money into the sector.

"Although MEND declared a 60-day ceasefire the damage caused by previous attacks was enormous.

"As part of remedial steps, the Federal Government is already looking forward to the United States (US) and Argentina for the supply of dry gas to put the power plants at optimal level.

"You know due to lack of dry gas, the hydro-power stations in Kainji, Shiroro, and Jebba are presently being overstretched. We cannot afford to wait till these hydro-plants breakdown before we act.

"The Minister of Power, Rilwanu Babalola, has been telling the Ministry of Petroleum Resources and the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (whose duty is to provide the dry gas) that time is running out. That is why we are looking towards the US and Argentina."

Asked what will become of the $2.6billion hitherto remitted to the JV partners, the source said: "We have a contractual obligation with them and if they can’t meet our target, there is a clause taking care of such an issue.

"I think JV partners understand the power situation we are confronted with. There is no cause for alarm."

Babalola on Saturday addressed the Board of Trustees of the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on the power situation.

A member of the BOT, who confided in The Nation, said: "The Minister assured us that the December target is still achievable for the 6,000MW.

"All our leaders, including ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, were interested in having stable power supply nationwide. We are hopeful that the Minister’s assurance will come to pass."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web/articles/10976/1/US-Argentina-may-supply-gas-for-6000-MW/Page1.html

December is fast approaching

Anybody can say what they like, they have already started to invent excuses for December 2009. they remitted $2.6 billion dollars just like that. If they sit down with MEND and fix what is wrong that money could be saved. Our leaders are idioits, we are flaring, wasting gas, and then paying to import it. MADNESS, LUNANCY,

They always have hidden agenda. Our current supply is from hydro, they are balimg MEND, how can that be when the gas has yet to take effect.

Also the most dishonest thing about YAR A'LIAR December 2009  6000MW  declaration is that it mask the truth , that it was OBJ work they will be commissioning after 2 years of dragging their foot, reversal and re-reversal. basically it is the completion of the NIPP projects.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by desgiezd(m): 4:19pm On Jul 20, 2009
After importing gas to run the turbines, all these visionless and clueless people running the nation would come back to us and be telling us stories about subsidy just as they have been doing about petrol and they would want to use that to increase charges for electricity. What an irony, NLNG is exporting gas to Europe and America and PHCN will in-turn import this same gas from the same America. Nigeria, my dear country is a good study in impossibility.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by back2back(f): 4:20pm On Jul 20, 2009

if this is true, Guys, I wanna commot from this country.

Who go fit help me?
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by deor03(m): 4:30pm On Jul 20, 2009
blacksta:

GBAM GBAM!!!
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by asha2: 5:31pm On Jul 20, 2009
back2back:

Who go fit help me?

Where you dey go?Naija for life grin
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by BlackRevo: 6:48pm On Jul 20, 2009
asha 2:

Please my sister no kill me with laughter ooooo, i one die for here grin grin grin

well you can go to ghana

I was made to understand that we have already sold our gas supply for export for the next 25 years

The only country in the world that has crude oil and gas reserves yet imports all kinds of crude oil end products and now gas

Please my sister that said who cares where the gas comes from as far as there is electricity, lets not think this way and forget about the effective use of our resources oooooo,
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by blacksta(m): 6:52pm On Jul 20, 2009
Black_Revo:

Please my sister no kill me with laughter ooooo, i one die for here grin grin grin

well you can go to ghana

I was made to understand that we have already sold our gas supply for export for the next 25 years

The only country in the world that has crude oil and gas reserves yet imports all kinds of crude oil end products and now gas

Please my sister that said who cares where the gas comes from as far as there is electricity, lets not think this way and forget about the effective use of our resources oooooo,

But successive government have failed to use home resources to their advantage. Since Nigeria is a master Import " Make we carry go" If u have to import get electric - fire at full speed ahead.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by BlackRevo: 9:20pm On Jul 20, 2009
back2back:

Who go fit help me?

Well you can apply to some undergraduate or masters degree program in Scandinavia and use that to find your way out of the country. There are some applications going on now.

blacksta:

But successive government have failed to use home resources to their advantage. Since Nigeria is a master Import " Make we carry go" If u have to import get electric - fire at full speed ahead.

I understand your point but will the electricity they want to generate be enough for full industrialisation to power our economy up?

western Europe that does not have crude oil or gas like us have 24 hours constant electricity how much more us. They have not done anything to the power situation and all these generation they are talking about has their roots in obj's tenure.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Kobojunkie: 1:31am On Jul 21, 2009
Wasn't there a previous deal with Russia, or Germany?
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Gayigaskia(m): 1:42am On Jul 21, 2009
Don't worry Nigeria, u will get more power when Niger republic finishes building it's hydro electric dam and it's oil refinery in two years term.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by FBS: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2009
Seriously, I don't want to give up on this country. whatttttttttt?

asha 2:

grin grin
Kai lafta crazy much for NL.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by proudly9ja(m): 12:32pm On Jul 21, 2009
Please help, Im a bit confused.

I know for a fact that Nigeria liquefies gas at bonny and sells to to the US and other countries. These countries in turn now turn it back into gaseous state for the domestic use.

Are we now saying that after selling to these countries, we will now buy from them again

Pardon my naivety but it really doesn't make sense to me
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nezan(m): 12:36pm On Jul 21, 2009
proudly9ja:

I know for a fact that Nigeria liquefies gas at bonny and sells to to the US and other countries. These countries in turn now turn it back into gaseous state for the domestic use.

Are we now saying that after selling to these countries, we will now buy from them again

Strange things are happening in Naija. Hope the bubble doesn't burst sha.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by 2tait: 1:00pm On Jul 21, 2009
Nigeria is on the right path. The path that will lead to rejuvenation.
The importation of dry gas I believe will in the interim ameliorate the energy problem in Nigeria (which was worsened by the Niger Delta imbroglio). This will then give the government of the day enough space to work on the other key issues affecting the nation and even the power/energy sector.

As a nation I think we should avoid self loathing and be creative on how to solve the mountains of problems affecting us. We can do it together. Indeed, together we can. Nobody will do it for us. Self-loathing will not.

Yes we have our problems and some of them are indeed strange, even at that, Nigeria is still the best country in the world.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by BlackRevo: 1:12pm On Jul 21, 2009
proudly9ja:

Please help, I'm a bit confused.

My brother that is Nigeria for you and don't be confused ooo jare. What you should be doing is crying for that country seriously because the situation you just described is more terrible than you think.

With all the cows we have we cannot produce milk and powdered milk.

We have crude oil but import petrol.

we have liquefied gas but import gaseous gas.

we have cocoa but import Milo and bournvita

Did you know some years ago it was total embarrassment for Nigeria that we were importing peanuts from Ghana?

we both have groundnut but they were importing peanut which was groundnut coated with sugar and honey.

There are many endless list only this few i can state now.

If i was the president of Nigeria i will totally ban the exporting of raw materials
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by asha2: 1:13pm On Jul 21, 2009
2tait:

Nigeria is on the right path. The path that will lead to rejuvenation.
The importation of dry gas I believe will in the interim ameliorate the energy problem in Nigeria (which was worsened by the Niger Delta imbroglio). This will then give the government of the day enough space to work on the other key issues affecting the nation and even the power/energy sector.

As a nation I think we should avoid self loathing and be creative on how to solve the mountains of problems affecting us. We can do it together. Indeed, together we can. Nobody will do it for us. Self-loathing will not.

Yes we have our problems and some of them are indeed strange, even at that, Nigeria is still the best country in the world.

This one dey live for lalaland  grin
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by dfanthom(m): 1:17pm On Jul 21, 2009
u guys ain't seen nothing yet! soon they will import everything from Oxygen from China, trees from Western sahara, water from Mali, and a Government from Somalia. i tell you that is how serious we are, nope: the Govt is!! grin

My people I'm afraid, the doomsday prophecy is drawing nearer, the sky is falling on our heads.  .  .   .
that 15 years failed state prophecy is really drawing nearer, somebody help!!!!

i bet you this is how fuel importation started, now it's the norm. when gas also starts, there'd be no end in sight!!! shocked shocked shocked

IMPORTED GOVT, PLEASE RESCUE A SLEEPING & SLIPPING CLAY-FOOT OGRE shocked lipsrsealed undecided
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by fresky(m): 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2009
Its what we are known for, always the Nigerian mentality. Our Leaders believe there is money, Bleep them.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by back2back(f): 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2009
If you guys want to weather it out in naija, nah your headache.

I finally made up my mind to check-out.

I want to go western europe or USA.

Atleast, I know it is not my country but I can enjoy. I only have this one life why I wanna suffer am for nigeria.

I need invitation letters, I beg.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2009
Hmmm, it's a big, potentially dangerous step but with proper management and control measures in place can work to serve us (the common folk) well.
Lets hope the FG takes this very seriously.

Kobojunkie:

Wasn't there a previous deal with Russia, or Germany?

@ Kobojunkie
The plan was for German energy supply companies to help develop and expand the country's energy infrastructure. At the same time, German energy supply companies are to become involved in Nigerian natural gas production. The gas production was impaired during the years of militant bombings.

The russian deal was a venture to build refineries, pipelines and gas power stations in Nigeria.

None of these deals aimed at gas production which is currently handled by SPDC, Chevron & Co.

proudly9ja:

@ proudly9ja
Your right about Bonny but recently i've heard production there is much less than optimum. Maybe it would not be sufficient for the 6000MW.

@All
It should be noted that in the oil & gas industry worldwide it is rare and very expensive to have a well tapping both oil & gas from the same reservoir.
Hence when all the stations in Nigeria were setup years ago they were mostly designed for oil and the gas in the reservoir would be flared(burnt) off as oil was the more profit making commodity. The one major gas well i know of is at bonny.

This should have raised the then governments concerns on environmental pollution but we all know quick money was their motto.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by back2back(f): 4:21pm On Jul 21, 2009
@All
It should be noted that in the oil & gas industry worldwide it is rare and very expensive to have a well tapping both oil & gas from the same reservoir.
Hence when all the stations in Nigeria were setup years ago they were mostly designed for oil and the gas in the reservoir would be flared(burnt) off as oil was the more profit making commodity. The one major gas well i know of is at bonny

I don't buy that! We have been importing all sorts.

Before we start to importing sperm to impregnate our women I better go find better sperm our abroad!
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by ibelab(m): 4:40pm On Jul 21, 2009
@back2back, to comot naija no go solve the problemooo! things ain,t the way it use to be out here, especially europe.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by ibelab(m): 5:03pm On Jul 21, 2009
nigeria is awarding contracts to china and russia uups (60%and 80% population still live in poverty) what happen to countries like German, japan, uk, sweden, etc.??
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by mrperfect(m): 5:18pm On Jul 21, 2009
Nigeria always buzz trying to solve problem they cause for themselves.
Re: U.S., Argentina May Supply Nigeria Gas For 6000 Mw by REALTRUTH1: 5:27pm On Jul 21, 2009
Black_Revo:

My brother that is Nigeria for you and don't be confused ooo jare. What you should be doing is crying for that country seriously because the situation you just described is more terrible than you think.

With all the cows we have we cannot produce milk and powdered milk.

We have crude oil but import petrol.

we have liquefied gas but import gaseous gas.

we have cocoa but import Milo and bournvita

Did you know some years ago it was total embarrassment for Nigeria that we were importing peanuts from Ghana?

we both have groundnut but they were importing peanut which was groundnut coated with sugar and honey.

There are many endless list only this few i can state now.

If i was the president of Nigeria i will totally ban the exporting of raw materials
Please the ones you listed are just enough before you start making me to cry like a baby.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rohingya Muslims Of Burma Helped By Turkish Government An Example Of Muslims Liv / Pictures Of The Surviving Victims Of Bauchi Bomb Blast In Hospital / Aftermath Of Sanusi's Sack: Foreign Reserve & Excess Crude Account Rise Steadily

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.