Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,864 members, 7,802,771 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States (57107 Views)

New Visa Policy For Nigerians Traveling To Indonesia, NDLEA To Be Involved / Indonesia's New Visa Policy For Nigerians / New Visa Rules To Work And Study In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 8:15pm On Mar 14, 2016
International students now have the opportunity to work for three years after completing their education in United States.
The United States federal government changed rules for non-immigrant student visas on Friday, saying that international students will now be eligible to stay for three years after finishing their degrees for training potentially leading to employment and later Green Card.
This makes United States one of the best countries to study abroad when compared to other countries, like United Kingdom, which does not offer employment opportunities to International Students after completing their degrees.
This opportunity will be available for students who will complete their degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
The new rule is seven months longer than old 17 month rule and will come in to effect on May 10, 2016. Extended time period will provide a successful transition from being an International Student to be an full-time American worker.
International students will have opportunity to try different jobs and discover how industry professionals across different sectors launched their careers in United States.
Here are some important points:
Only students who earned a degree from a school accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency and certified by SEVP may apply for a STEM OPT extension.
Participating students who receive an additional qualifying degree from an accredited college or university can apply for a second STEM OPT extension.
Participating students can use a previously-earned qualifying degree to apply for a STEM OPT extension. The prior degree must not have already formed the basis of a STEM OPT extension and must be from a school that is both accredited by a U.S. Department of Education-recognized accrediting agency and certified by SEVP at the time of the student’s STEM OPT application. The student’s most recent degree must also be from an accredited and SEVP-certified institution.
Employers participating in STEM OPT must incorporate a formal training program that includes concrete learning objectives with proper oversight.
Employers and students must report material changes in their training program.
To guard against adverse effects on U.S. workers, terms and conditions of a student’s training opportunity – such as duties, hours, and compensation – must be on par with U.S. workers in similar positions in the same geographic area of employment. Additionally, the student must not replace a full-time, part-time, temporary or permanent U.S. worker.
Students must work a minimum of 20 hours per week per employer to qualify.
Students are permitted a limited period of unemployment during the initial period of post-completion OPT and the STEM OPT extension.
All STEM OPT employers must participate in DHS’ E-Verify program.
Three years is a long time and International Students will learn more about the American job market and gain valuable and practical tips on establishing a career in United State.
Most students find full-time job with a year after completing their degree and change their visa to H1-B, and later apply to Green-Card, which allows them to become American citizens.

source: http://www.scholarship-positions.com/blog/new-visa-rule-study-work-united-states/201603/

56 Likes 15 Shares

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by flexxyworld(m): 8:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
Every single comment was on FP and FTC back too back, iyalaya anybody..

Goood news indeed, nice one! Nigeria still a long way ahead.. God bless naija

11 Likes

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nice one
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:22pm On Mar 14, 2016
cc: lalasticlala come see good news
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Sunofgod(m): 9:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
Win-Win - Work experience for the student; Tax income for the US Govt!

72 Likes 6 Shares

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by bebe2(f): 9:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
UK go suffer

Shebi tory govt has stylishly made the UK unwelcomeing to foreign students while other countries like Canada and USA are busy raking the money in. undecided

101 Likes 10 Shares

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:37pm On Mar 14, 2016
well, it good..i really wish that i could go to america to see those things i watch on tv

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Trust Nigerians to make use of this to their advantage...

... tomorrow you'll see them on another thread cursing the USA for their stance on gay union and swearing that they'd never wanna step foot there.

Hypocrisy rules.

Back to the matter, nice one for eligible people.

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by olimeh13(m): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Do u mean United state of abraka?
Make I they sail my ship they go u.s.a
#front_page_makes_me_feel_horny
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
And by so doing they will make use of the best brains from different parts of the world to "develop their economy" and "make them remain as world power" #sense. Not like this shit hole country called Nigeria were the least matters are taken seriously and serious matters taken "unseriously". Shi.t hole country with lots of shi.ts as citizens smh. Too bad ive invested soooo much here. I would have gone there. Pls, if you are a secondary school graduate or fresh uni or poly graduate, this is your opportunity. I rest my case

47 Likes 3 Shares

Lovely

1 Like

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by busybeei5(f): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
wow
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by habex005(m): 9:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
Good one from the Yankees

1 Like

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by kennyman2000(m): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nice one. Make u na no go Bleep up. Make dem no go change am again.
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by SageTravels: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
good
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Unlike there wife, UK

1 Like

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by tobtap: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
cool cool
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by 4nobody4every1: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Nice move by the US cool

8 Likes

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by modath(f): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
bebe2:
UK go suffer

They deserve to!! After collecting people's money, dem dey wan play fast one...

How can they be fit to be educated but can't be granted the privilege of employment!!

10 Likes

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by tiamiyukunle69(m): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
PhD here I come.......

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by kennydee05(m): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Good development but how would this encourage "Buy Nigeria Made to grow Naira"?
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Nobody: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
good development.. but the USA still remains one of the most expensive places to study.. now wey dollar don high sef# walks to study in Cotonou thread..

11 Likes

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by oribi(m): 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Donald Trump is coming grin grin grin grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by dapsoneh: 9:39pm On Mar 14, 2016
Mr dullard trump, u dey hear so
Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by abumeinben(m): 9:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Omo, time to move to US o..I don't care the school.

cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: New Visa Rules To Study And Work In United States by Praizekeyz(m): 9:40pm On Mar 14, 2016
Oya gbera! Make I begin gather my food money.. I must go yankee!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What I Saw In An Airline Today. / African Woman Carries Her Luggage On The Head At The Airport In USA (Photo) / Stowaways Spotted Under A Ship Going To Unknown Destination (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.