Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,081 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186053 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 12:37am On Oct 17, 2016
Hi Abujaniv

I am currently stressed about my student visa procurement. I have always wanted to earn a us degree and now I finally have the funds I have been denied a visa twice. I am a Nigerian but not living in Nigeria, I am married(4 years now) and living in my husbands country which is where I have applied from (been living here for close to 3 years now). Also because this is where we have settled and where our properties are. I was told I don't qualify after the interview and was given a form 214b. I applied for F1 for myself and F2 for my child and both times I was denied. My questions are:

1). Does paying tuition deposit help in the interviewers decision? I did not pay a deposit because the school didn't request for it

2) Could I have been denied because I was going with my child

3) could I have been denied because I applied for an associate degree in a community college in which my intended course of study was in a science related field?/ does age really matter when applying to a community college?

4) What do they really mean when they say I am sorry you are not qualified

5) could it be because I said I have a relative in the usa or because I put a school official as my point of contact

6) Could it be because my husband followed us to the interview room and also let them know he had a b2 visa. He was cautioned by the visa officer that he was not supposed to be in there with us in which my husband appologised. And the visa officer told him he couldn't follow us with that type of visa that he would have to apply for his own F2 in which my husband said he would do so later when he intends to visit as he has so many projects at hand now. But this was during my first interview.

I was totally honest during my 1st and 2nd interview and had confidence, I was never even asked for my financial capability, the last thing he requested for was my child's birth certificate during the first interview and then he excused himself and when he returned I was trying to give it to him and he just said don't bother about that we are through with the interview. Then he just gave me the form 214b, I was more than confused when I was denied and it hurt badly, I felt the man just didn't like me. The second time i applied i met a different interviewer, a lady but as she was interviewing me, this same man kept on coming to check on her as if to remind her not to approve. And she only told me nothing has changed and I still didn't qualify

Could you kindly answer based on my questions and give a helpful advice
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by poshestaunt: 2:27pm On Oct 17, 2016
Hello VO..
I recently renewed my visitors visa, and I am looking at traveling sometime in January. During my stay I plan to visit some universities and speak to some professors on possible research topics as I plan to apply for a phd in public health for fall2017. My question is this, will I need to inform the officer at the point of entry of my plans? Or will I have to reapply from home to have my passport stamped "prospective student". Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by sp500: 10:29am On Oct 19, 2016
Hello VO, Please I'm planning on going to the US on a student visa with my wife. Can we book for our interview at the same time (i.e together) or must she book for the interview only after I have been granted a Visa.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by drfdee: 2:20pm On Oct 19, 2016
Good day.I want to do masters in the U.S.I currently av a valid U.S visa for B1/B2 on the ground Medicals.I had my ist child in the U.S. and planning to have the 2nd one dre by April 2017. Am just beginning to consider some schools.do I need to write change of intent to d embassy or I need to apply for student visa all over
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elektra(f): 7:40am On Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
I had posted previously about renewing my visa. I started the process and I'm getting confused.
I went ahead and filled a new ds160 form. The questions on the form seem to be geared towards people going to the first time so I'm wondering if there is a different link for returning students.
Also, when I took a peak at the appointment scheduler and there does not seem to be an option for the drop box. How do I get the approval to use the Dropbox?
I have been in the US for 2.5 years. Do I need to pay a new SEVIS fee?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by elektra(f): 2:02am On Oct 29, 2016
I am having so much difficulty submitting the ds160 form. I need assistance please.
First, the website keeps saying that "an error occurred while processing my photo try again later", even though it already stated that my photo fit the requirements. My photo is 44kb so size is not the problem. It does not have the 'continue without photo' option anymore so I am stuck on that page. The sign and submit button is not highlighting. I am tired! Please how do I submit this form? I have been on this for 3 days now!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Sirbuggle: 2:49am On Nov 04, 2016
Greetings,

My visa expires next year and i plan on renewing it in Nigeria do you think that's a good idea and how long before the visa expires can I apply for renewal?

Lastly could you briefly describe the renewal process to me?

Thanks and blessings
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by lovelani(m): 1:56pm On Nov 06, 2016
@abujaniv pls I would like to know if going for another Bsc. degree after a previous one in Nigeria will raise a red flag. the Bsc in Nigeria was in computer science while the one I am going for in the US is in humanities and science.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by tennyadex: 10:36am On Nov 07, 2016
Hello. I have a b1 visit visa and I have visited the US, just came back and intend to apply to f1 visa. I was told if I am denied f1 visa, means that my b1 visa would also be cancelled. Please how true is this
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Johnnyessence(m): 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
Pls I just want to make enquiries on universities in united state of America that did not allow toefl and ielts exams. Thanks. And pls anyone who has the info of best center to do ielts in lagos or ibadan. Thank you.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by rosey11: 6:07pm On Nov 20, 2016
Pls who has gone through the student visa renewal process via drop box. How is it done?.Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by rosey11: 6:19pm On Nov 20, 2016
Hello AbujaNiv,
Pls how long does the drop box process for visa renewal take?
Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by saninwa: 7:50am On Nov 22, 2016
Dear Abuja NIV

Please I wish to know if payment of the SEVIS fee can be made through any bank in Nigeria. I am a fall 2017 undergraduate applicant. Thanks a lot.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by ekleff: 10:21pm On Nov 24, 2016
hello everyone. i intend to apply at Bloomsburg uni 2017 fall (getting all my documentation ready). i want to use my step fathers bank statement wink he's been taking care f everything since 12 years old now im 20. we dont bear the same surname. will that cause any problem with VO when it comes to interview time?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hbaba: 1:18am On Nov 25, 2016
Dear AbujaNIV,

Thank you for the good job. Here is my challenge where I would really appreciate your kind response

I got my F1 visa for spring 2016 December 2015. Unfortunately, I was unable to resume at the school due to an extension in the project which I was managing at my place of work. Now the project is over and I deferred my admission to summer 2017. The school has sent new I20 (in transit to my address). Please do shed more light on this. Do I need to visit the embassy again for visa as I still have a valid F1 visa till December 2017? I am aware I need to pay for new sevis as the previous paid for is above 12 months. Thank you in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Temitope91(f): 12:18am On Nov 30, 2016
Hello VO, my school will be resuming 9th January 2017, I hope it's never too late to apply for a visa second week of December.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:40pm On Nov 30, 2016
Lovelani,

We understand that people sometimes change or add to their education and career plans. It could make perfect sense why you would do two Bachelor's programs - you will just need to help us to understand why this plan works for you. Be prepared to answer questions about why you want to pursue another degree.

lovelani:
@abujaniv pls I would like to know if going for another Bsc. degree after a previous one in Nigeria will raise a red flag. the Bsc in Nigeria was in computer science while the one I am going for in the US is in humanities and science.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:42pm On Nov 30, 2016
Temitope91,

You may apply at any time, although it is always best to apply as soon as you are able, in order to secure an appointment and go through any required processing.

Temitope91:
Hello VO, my school will be resuming 9th January 2017, I hope it's never too late to apply for a visa second week of December.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 3:46pm On Nov 30, 2016
Ekleff,

Just be prepared to answer questions about who is financing your studies, why they support you, and how they are able to provide that support. If you can demonstrate your family relationship or history of support in some way, that may help.

ekleff:
hello everyone. i intend to apply at Bloomsburg uni 2017 fall (getting all my documentation ready). i want to use my step fathers bank statement wink he's been taking care f everything since 12 years old now im 20. we dont bear the same surname. will that cause any problem with VO when it comes to interview time?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Hbaba: 9:47pm On Nov 30, 2016
Dear AbujaNIV,

Thank you for the good job. Here is my challenge where I would really appreciate your kind response

I got my F1 visa for spring 2016 December 2015. Unfortunately, I was unable to resume at the school due to an extension in the project which I was managing at my place of work. Now the project is over and I deferred my admission to summer 2017. The school has sent new I20 (in transit to my address). Please do shed more light on this. Do I need to visit the embassy again for visa as I still have a valid F1 visa till December 2017? I am aware I need to pay for new sevis as the previous paid for is above 12 months. Thank you in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Ovie18: 1:02am On Dec 01, 2016
Hello AbujaNiv

I am currently a student of maritime academy of Nigeria
And will be finishing my OND by July 2017 and intend to go to Utah Valley university to study computer science .
I have an uncle in Texas who introduced into this forum as it helped him in his visa processing.
Please I would like to know the basic things to do and to get now.
I already have an International passport. Thanks alot
Cheers!
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:57am On Dec 01, 2016
I am sorry, but we do not comment on specific cases.

Hi Abujaniv

I am currently stressed about my student visa procurement. I have always wanted to earn a us degree and now I finally have the funds I have been denied a visa twice. I am a Nigerian but not living in Nigeria, I am married(4 years now) and living in my husbands country which is where I have applied from (been living here for close to 3 years now). Also because this is where we have settled and where our properties are. I was told I don't qualify after the interview and was given a form 214b. I applied for F1 for myself and F2 for my child and both times I was denied. My questions are:

1). Does paying tuition deposit help in the interviewers decision? I did not pay a deposit because the school didn't request for it

2) Could I have been denied because I was going with my child

3) could I have been denied because I applied for an associate degree in a community college in which my intended course of study was in a science related field?/ does age really matter when applying to a community college?

4) What do they really mean when they say I am sorry you are not qualified

5) could it be because I said I have a relative in the usa or because I put a school official as my point of contact

6) Could it be because my husband followed us to the interview room and also let them know he had a b2 visa. He was cautioned by the visa officer that he was not supposed to be in there with us in which my husband appologised. And the visa officer told him he couldn't follow us with that type of visa that he would have to apply for his own F2 in which my husband said he would do so later when he intends to visit as he has so many projects at hand now. But this was during my first interview.

I was totally honest during my 1st and 2nd interview and had confidence, I was never even asked for my financial capability, the last thing he requested for was my child's birth certificate during the first interview and then he excused himself and when he returned I was trying to give it to him and he just said don't bother about that we are through with the interview. Then he just gave me the form 214b, I was more than confused when I was denied and it hurt badly, I felt the man just didn't like me. The second time i applied i met a different interviewer, a lady but as she was interviewing me, this same man kept on coming to check on her as if to remind her not to approve. And she only told me nothing has changed and I still didn't qualify

Could you kindly answer based on my questions and give a helpful advice
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:23pm On Dec 01, 2016
Ovie18,

Thank you for your interest in studying in the United States! You should identify and apply to schools that offer the courses and degree you are interested in. Before you apply for your visa, you will need to have been accepted to at least one U.S. school and have received your approval letter from them, called an I-20. You will also need to pay a $200 SEVIS fee - for information on that, go to https://www.ice.gov/sevis. Then, complete the application online called the DS-160, and use the number from the visa fee you paid to register for an appointment. Bring your endorsed, valid I-20 and proof of SEVIS payment to the interview, and be prepared to answer questions to help us assess whether you are a credible student. This could include questions about the process you went through to gain acceptance to a school, your previous studies and work experience, and/or your financial abilities.

Ovie18:
Hello AbujaNiv

I am currently a student of maritime academy of Nigeria
And will be finishing my OND by July 2017 and intend to go to Utah Valley university to study computer science .
I have an uncle in Texas who introduced into this forum as it helped him in his visa processing.
Please I would like to know the basic things to do and to get now.
I already have an International passport. Thanks alot
Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by lilhenshaw(m): 5:57pm On Dec 01, 2016
Hello AbujaNiv

I got an admission to study in USA and i just got my I-20 and my interview on the 9th which is nextweek, please kindly advice what supporting document do i need to take along for the interview aside my i-20, and any idea of few questions that might be ask during the interview.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.