Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:25 AM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (185910 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 12:28pm On Jul 11, 2017
Greetings... Pls does conditional admission have any impact on students f1 interview??
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Amakyzuu: 12:37pm On Jul 11, 2017
Good day,
I would like to ask some questions regarding preparation for interview for an F-1 visa for my sister (a minor of 15years).
We have a print out of her I-20 with a detailed full (1-year) scholarship offer from the high school she would attend, her admission letter (scanned and sent by email from the school) and a letter to the consular officer (scanned and sent by email from the school) indicating that she has been accepted as a student and that information regarding her scholarship is on the I-20 form. I would like to know what documents my parents need to get ready for her interview to demonstrate her intentions to study and return to Nigeria for college/University. How can i prepare her for the VO's questions? I do not have any experience at all.

Thank you in advance
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello Rebionak. The qualifications for an F1 visa are the same as a B1/B2 with the added criteria that you are a bonafide student able to pay for your education. In a sense, it is a higher hurdle than the B1/B2, where you have recently been denied. Applications are considered to be sworn documents by the applicants. Mistakes or misrepresentations made on them reflect solely on the applicant him/herself. Finally, it seems a very tall order to be a full-time student while also caring for an infant in an expensive foreign country.

Rebionak:
Goodmorning, I'd like to ask some questions;

I am a single mother due to circumstances and my baby has a different surname as me and I want to apply for a student visa next month via Kaplan. What are the possibilities of getting an approved visa with a 4month old?

Another question; I applied for a b1/b2 visa last month and got denied. An agent applied for me. But now I know better. Would that affect anything? Thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 4:04pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello Amakyzuu. The parents should come with their government-issued IDs. This should be common sense--that whenever you enter a secure, government facility, you should have ID. If there's any portion of the tuition or expenses not covered by the scholarship, the student or parents should show a bank statement or some proof that they can make up the balance.

Amakyzuu:
Good day,
I would like to ask some questions regarding preparation for interview for an F-1 visa for my sister (a minor of 15years).
We have a print out of her I-20 with a detailed full (1-year) scholarship offer from the high school she would attend, her admission letter (scanned and sent by email from the school) and a letter to the consular officer (scanned and sent by email from the school) indicating that she has been accepted as a student and that information regarding her scholarship is on the I-20 form. I would like to know what documents my parents need to get ready for her interview to demonstrate her intentions to study and return to Nigeria for college/University. How can i prepare her for the VO's questions? I do not have any experience at all.

Thank you in advance
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Amakyzuu: 6:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
Noted!!! Thank You
abujaniv:
Hello Amakyzuu. The parents should come with their government-issued IDs. This should be common sense--that whenever you enter a secure, government facility, you should have ID. If there's any portion of the tuition or expenses not covered by the scholarship, the student or parents should show a bank statement or some proof that they can make up the balance.

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by dotuniyi1: 9:58pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello VO,
I plan to go to USA for completion of my flight training, I applied for M1 visa few years ago in Nigeria and it was refused, so I decided to travel to Kenya for my flight training. I have gotten my Private Pilot License in Kenya and would still really love to go to United States for the rest of my training.
The reason why I need to go to the United States is that upon completion of Private Pilot License the next training would be Instrument rating which would make me more proficient flying instrument because I would build the rest of my flying hours on instrument and not VFR the way it’s done here in Kenya. (Airline Pilots fly instrument not VFR). I need advice on how to explain that to the VO here in Nairobi. It would really enhance my flying career!

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 10:30pm On Jul 11, 2017
Hello dotuniyi1. In our experience, flight students should be very attuned to the specifics of the equipment they will be training on and the qualifications they will seeking. Flight school is a huge investment of time and money, so be prepared to explain how such a program in the US will make educational and economic sense for you.

dotuniyi1:
Hello VO,
I plan to go to USA for completion of my flight training, I applied for M1 visa few years ago in Nigeria and it was refused, so I decided to travel to Kenya for my flight training. I have gotten my Private Pilot License in Kenya and would still really love to go to United States for the rest of my training.
The reason why I need to go to the United States is that upon completion of Private Pilot License the next training would be Instrument rating which would make me more proficient flying instrument because I would build the rest of my flying hours on instrument and not VFR the way it’s done here in Kenya. (Airline Pilots fly instrument not VFR). I need advice on how to explain that to the VO here in Nairobi. It would really enhance my flying career!

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by dotuniyi1: 11:13am On Jul 12, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello dotuniyi1. In our experience, flight students should be very attuned to the specifics of the equipment they will be training on and the qualifications they will seeking. Flight school is a huge investment of time and money, so be prepared to explain how such a program in the US will make educational and economic sense for you.

Dear VO,
Thanks for your response it was helpful. What documents am I meant to take along on the day of my interview apart from (DS160, SEVIS, I-20, VISA FEE PAYMENT CONFIRMATION) considering the fact that I have done part of my flight training in Kenya(Private Pilot License) and also being a Nigerian applying for US Visa in Kenya?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 1:29pm On Jul 12, 2017
We've gone over the document question many times on this thread. Read and learn.

dotuniyi1:

Dear VO,
Thanks for your response it was helpful. What documents am I meant to take along on the day of my interview apart from (DS160, SEVIS, I-20, VISA FEE PAYMENT CONFIRMATION) considering the fact that I have done part of my flight training in Kenya(Private Pilot License) and also being a Nigerian applying for US Visa in Kenya?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by cosade(m): 1:43pm On Jul 12, 2017
Dear VO,

Please educate me on the right answer to this question "Are you applying in the same country or location where the visa above was issued, and is this country or location your place of principal residence?".

My last F1 visa was issued in Abuja, Nigeria and I intend applying through Lagos, Nigeria. In view the fact that the city of application is changing, do I answer "No" to the question?

From your previous posts, I should be able to use the dropbox privilege despite the change.

Thanks for your usual prompt answer.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 4:31pm On Jul 12, 2017
Hello cosade. I think you can safely answer "yes" to this question, as both the Abuja Embassy and Lagos Consulate operate under the same system. In any case, the visa officer will be able to see where the previous visa was issued.

cosade:
Dear VO,

Please educate me on the right answer to this question "Are you applying in the same country or location where the visa above was issued, and is this country or location your place of principal residence?".

My last F1 visa was issued in Abuja, Nigeria and I intend applying through Lagos, Nigeria. In view the fact that the city of application is changing, do I answer "No" to the question?

From your previous posts, I should be able to use the dropbox privilege despite the change.

Thanks for your usual prompt answer.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by cosade(m): 4:33pm On Jul 12, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello cosade. I think you can safely answer "yes" to this question, as both the Abuja Embassy and Lagos Consulate operate under the same system. In any case, the visa officer will be able to see where the previous visa was issued.

A million thanks.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 3:41pm On Jul 13, 2017
Good evening abujaniv,

I just submitted my additional documents in response to the 221(g) i received.

Please i wanted to ask when documents are submitted does it get to the same consular officer that interviewed you?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:37am On Jul 14, 2017
We perform the same responsibilities interchangeably.

Energgyyy:
Good evening abujaniv,

I just submitted my additional documents in response to the 221(g) i received.

Please i wanted to ask when documents are submitted does it get to the same consular officer that interviewed you?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 7:55am On Jul 14, 2017
Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 7:56am On Jul 14, 2017
Thank you

We perform the same responsibilities interchangeably.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by man105(m): 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2017
A colleague of mine had her interview, and was given 214b slip,d person in question is quite not happy about the judgement by the vo,she previously made travel to African neighboring country long ago,d vo came up with a question,she didn't really understand ;it goes thus:how did u get the stamp? Like really she made travel her self and was issued that on the airport,pls this is not good at all, was that why she was denied the visa She is just confused at the moment, no reason or what to do next, can she reapply
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Tozer(m): 2:19pm On Jul 15, 2017
Dear VO,
I was in Abuja Embassy on the 11th.
The chat with the VO flowed well until he asked for my undergraduate transcript, I told him I didn't come along with it but my school in the US already has it.
Of course there's no way I could have been admitted without it. He insisted that other applicants do come with their academic transcript to the embassy.
He gave me the blue paper.

I wish to reapply again.
Can I chose Lagos Consulate instead of Abuja this time?
Will it raise any issue?

I have obtained the student copy of my transcript.
Kindly advise further.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by dotuniyi1: 7:01pm On Jul 15, 2017
Dear VO,

Can a student on M-1 visa change from one school to another within one month of arrival in the USA? If yes, what are the procedures and how long will the process take to complete?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Abraham18(m): 3:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
Good day. Can I change my status from M-1 to F-1 visa when I get the US?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:07pm On Jul 16, 2017
Hello dotuniyi1 and Abraham18 -

Changes to status like that would be done through US Customs and Immigration Services, not through a consulate or embassy. I have to ask though, why not just apply for the visa you actually want to use at the school you actually want to attend?

3 Likes

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by HEADYWORLD: 6:31am On Jul 18, 2017
My brother has been granted visa to study in USA, I am very happy. Whats the cost of flight from Nigeria to Dallas one way and return? Anybody with idea should please update me. Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Eliza12345: 7:50am On Jul 18, 2017
Dear Abujaniv,
Gudmorning sir,please i need your help,I was rejected yesterday at the usa lagos embassy,Please i what are the right answer to **Why going for an associate degree when you already have a Bsc...Also the admission i got was quite different from my Bsc,i graduated with bachelor in information technology and now am having an associate in Liberal art and science...Please help me..am rebooking again..I also want to give testimony here..
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Jamezy4u: 9:57am On Jul 18, 2017
Please VO,

Please, how do I know my passport is ready for collection?

I went for interview on friday morning, can it be ready at the collection centre I choosed by now?

I just tracked it and it is showing "Issued" on the U.S Department of State but showing "Your passport is still with the US embassy/Consulate"

Please, when can I go for a pick up?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 18, 2017
Abujaniv please is there any special document a student below 18 is required to present or provide at the POE apart from i20?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:39am On Jul 18, 2017
Eliza, no one else can answer that question for you. There is no 'right answer' except what is true for you. You are the only person who can know why you want to go for your degree program given your educational history. You have to make your own plans make sense to the point that the officer is convinced you are a credible student.

Eliza12345:
Dear Abujaniv,
Gudmorning sir,please i need your help,I was rejected yesterday at the usa lagos embassy,Please i what are the right answer to **Why going for an associate degree when you already have a Bsc...Also the admission i got was quite different from my Bsc,i graduated with bachelor in information technology and now am having an associate in Liberal art and science...Please help me..am rebooking again..I also want to give testimony here..
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:40am On Jul 18, 2017
No. Your legal guardian should sign your I-20, though.

bjhaid:
Abujaniv please is there any special document a student below 18 is required to present or provide at the POE apart from i20?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:41am On Jul 18, 2017
Jamezy4u, keep checking the status online and pick it up when it says that it is at the DHL office, ready for pickup. You will also get an email and SMS when it is ready.

Jamezy4u:
Please VO,

Please, how do I know my passport is ready for collection?

I went for interview on friday morning, can it be ready at the collection centre I choosed by now?

I just tracked it and it is showing "Issued" on the U.S Department of State but showing "Your passport is still with the US embassy/Consulate"

Please, when can I go for a pick up?

Thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Tozer(m): 1:55pm On Jul 18, 2017
Tozer:
Dear VO,
I was in Abuja Embassy on the 11th.
The chat with the VO flowed well until he asked for my undergraduate transcript, I told him I didn't come along with it but my school in the US already has it.
Of course there's no way I could have been admitted without it. He insisted that other applicants do come with their academic transcript to the embassy.
He gave me the blue paper.

I wish to reapply again.
Can I chose Lagos Consulate instead of Abuja this time?
Will it raise any issue?

I have obtained the student copy of my transcript.
Kindly advise further.

@Abujaniv, this one please.

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.