Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,504 members, 7,808,854 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 PM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (186037 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 2:57pm On Jul 18, 2017
Dear vo,

M
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by BOLAUWA: 6:21am On Jul 19, 2017
Good morning Officer. Please I need advice urgently. I went for my F1 visa interview last Friday in Abuja. From my assessment, I think I answered the questions correctly and honestly. At the end of the interview, the VO held on to my passport and financial statements and gave me a 221g denial paper. She said if she needed more information, I will be contacted. It's been up to 3 days now, I have checked CEAC, and it states administrative processing. Now, the problem I have is that, I applied for a scholarship exam here in Nigeria, and I was just given an invite to come for the orals in 2 days time in port Harcourt , and my passport is a requirement. I want to find out how long it will take for my passport to be returned, or if I can apply to get my passport back to enable me attend the interview. Just confused
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:56am On Jul 19, 2017
Hello Tozer -

You may apply at either Consulate General Lagos or at the Embassy in Abuja. As with any other changes from one application to another, you should be prepared to explain why you are making the change.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Abraham18(m): 10:01am On Jul 19, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland!

Our other visa thread, U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening, has been a success in dispelling some of the myths associated with the visa process. We have enjoyed answering all of your pertinent questions and as we get ready for the upcoming summer cycle that sees a huge increase in student visas, we wanted to create a new forum [b]JUST [/b]for applicants with questions about student visas (F1, M1, & J1).

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos and we are looking forward to answering your student related questions. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies on student visas and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about student visas. If you have general non-immigrant visa questions, please visit the other thread here, https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Is there any chance or means by which students on m-1 visa can work, how many years will I be given for M-1 visa and how can I change my status to F-1 b4 my-1 visa expires?
Need answers please
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akinboye93(m): 1:02pm On Jul 19, 2017
Good day Consular Officer,

Please I'd appreciate an input on this: is it mandatory for prospective graduate students to have completed nysc in order to be qualified for a visa?

Regards akinboye93.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Messibliss207(f): 7:28pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hello sir, I have a BA in English language but my passion is in computer Engineering. I have certification in Networking and will like to do a Bsc in computer science with a major in Networking. My question is, do I have to mention that I already have a BA at my visa interview? Secondly, my course starts by spring 2018, I already have my i-20, when is the right time to apply for my visa? Thank you

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Femzy1984: 9:04pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hello visa consular please i need information from the house please about airline dispatcher course recently i got admission to go for an airline dispatch training and i dont have experience in aviation but my fear now is the consular might ask the reason why i chose the course and how its going to help with my career pls i need anybody to advice me where i can say i work and reasons why thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:10pm On Jul 19, 2017
Hello Messibliss207 -

You will be asked about prior education on your DS-160, and you may also be asked about it in your interview. As with everything else on the DS-160 and the interview, you should tell the truth. You can have your interview for a F-1 visa up to 120 days before the date your program is due to start, and if your visa is approved you can travel to the US up to 30 days before the start date.

Messibliss207:
Hello sir, I have a BA in English language but my passion is in computer Engineering. I have certification in Networking and will like to do a Bsc in computer science with a major in Networking. My question is, do I have to mention that I already have a BA at my visa interview? Secondly, my course starts by spring 2018, I already have my i-20, when is the right time to apply for my visa? Thank you

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Messibliss207(f): 11:21pm On Jul 19, 2017
abujaniv:
Hello Messibliss207 -

You will be asked about prior education on your DS-160, and you may also be asked about it in your interview. As with everything else on the DS-160 and the interview, you should tell the truth. You can have your interview for a F-1 visa up to 120 days before the date your program is due to start, and if your visa is approved you can travel to the US up to 30 days before the start date.

Thanks a lot.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Jamezy4u: 12:02pm On Jul 20, 2017
Dear VO,

I got my Visa approved early this July, to start the Graduate program in Aug.

I want to differ my study/admission to Spring 2018 because my Company is not granting my study leave application as I have not spent 6months with them as their policy, with this, I would have spent eight (cool months by December 2017 as I joined May 2017.

If I get back to school to send down another I-20 that will reflect the new date,

My Questions now, are;

Ø Will the current Visa be valid for this (I guess yes) or I will need to re-apply?

Ø Will I have issues with Officers at the Point of Entry (PoE) when I travel that January? (one concern)

Ø Will I have challenges when I need to re-new my Visa as it will be less than two years validity when I will be entering US (my major concern)

Kindly advise on the best option and the likely process and steps that will help me in achieving this plan, will be more happy if I can retain this job as I will come back straight after the programme.

Thanks so much.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akinboye93(m): 12:45pm On Jul 20, 2017
Dear VO,

Please I'd appreciate an input on this: is it MANDATORY for prospective graduate students to have completed nysc in order to be qualified for a visa

Thank you so much.

Best Regards
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by kayvine4u: 4:25pm On Jul 20, 2017
Dear VO,

I finished my first degree in 2008, should i be worried that I'm already 35 years old and just wanting to study for a MSc. Would that raise a flag with the VO, seeing that the educational gap is quite long.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 9:31pm On Jul 20, 2017
Good evenining abujaniv,

Please what could be the reason the consular section could send an email requesting for bank statement after your visa was approved during the interview?

Thank you in anticipation.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Fran6ik: 11:57am On Jul 21, 2017
Good day all, please i knw this is nt the best place to ask this, but will be grateful if am assisted. Which university is cheaper for masters in chemical engineering in USA? and wats d estimate cost
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Jamezy4u: 1:29pm On Jul 21, 2017
Can someone help with this please?

Jamezy4u:
Dear VO,

I got my Visa approved early this July, to start the Graduate program in Aug.

I want to differ my study/admission to Spring 2018 because my Company is not granting my study leave application as I have not spent 6months with them as their policy, with this, I would have spent eight (cool months by December 2017 as I joined May 2017.

If I get back to school to send down another I-20 that will reflect the new date,

My Questions now, are;

Ø Will the current Visa be valid for this (I guess yes) or I will need to re-apply?

Ø Will I have issues with Officers at the Point of Entry (PoE) when I travel that January? (one concern)

Ø Will I have challenges when I need to re-new my Visa as it will be less than two years validity when I will be entering US (my major concern)

Kindly advise on the best option and the likely process and steps that will help me in achieving this plan, will be more happy if I can retain this job as I will come back straight after the programme.

Thanks so much.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:46pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hello akinboye93. Youth service does not factor into the US visa process.

akinboye93:
Dear VO,

Please I'd appreciate an input on this: is it MANDATORY for prospective graduate students to have completed nysc in order to be qualified for a visa

Thank you so much.

Best Regards
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:48pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hello kayvine4u. You clearly think the education gap is long, so it's likely others will as well. Be prepared to explain. You student aspirations should make educational and economic sense.

kayvine4u:
Dear VO,

I finished my first degree in 2008, should i be worried that I'm already 35 years old and just wanting to study for a MSc. Would that raise a flag with the VO, seeing that the educational gap is quite long.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:49pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hello Energgyyy. It's the visa officer's prerogative to request supporting documentation. It's your choice whether to comply or to forfeit your application.

Energgyyy:
Good evenining abujaniv,

Please what could be the reason the consular section could send an email requesting for bank statement after your visa was approved during the interview?

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:51pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hello Fran6ik. If you aspire to study in the United States, a good first step is to start writing more professionally. Another good first step is to start your searches here:
https://educationusa.state.gov/

Fran6ik:
Good day all, please i knw this is nt the best place to ask this, but will be grateful if am assisted. Which university is cheaper for masters in chemical engineering in USA? and wats d estimate cost
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:53pm On Jul 21, 2017
Hello Jamezy4u. Consult your school to see if deferment is possible and if they will issue a new I-20. If it won't, the rest of your question is moot.

Jamezy4u:
Can someone help with this please?

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Jamezy4u: 3:09pm On Jul 21, 2017
Thanks for the response! i have done that already and they said its very much possible but I can get the new I-20 after the beginning of Fall.

I want to be sure of my chances before forgoing this term. If I may have issues renewing visa or at the PoE, i will rather go now and forfeit the job.
Kindly give your advise pls.

Thanks

abujaniv:
Hello Jamezy4u. Consult your school to see if deferment is possible and if they will issue a new I-20. If it won't, the rest of your question is moot.

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 10:46pm On Jul 21, 2017
Because the officer who is adjudicating your visa has determined that it is necessary to review that document in order to correctly adjudicate the visa.
Energgyyy:
Good evenining abujaniv,

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 9:18am On Jul 22, 2017
Thank you abujaniv
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hello VO,

I mistakenly filled to my academic history when filling my ds160 form. But my interview is coming up on Wednesday. How can I possibly correct this? Who do I mail for correction. Please this is urgent.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Rudolfchris(m): 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2017
Hello VO

I was denied an F1 student visa in June 2017, even though I was able to demonstrate during the interview that I was a genuine student willing to return at the end of my studies. I stated clearly in the DS-160 form that I have a pending Family Sponsored F1 petition which was filed by my mother in 2014.

But I noticed that during the interview, the VO asked about my family and I told him that my parents and two siblings live in the US and they are all US citizens, that I am only going for my studies and I do not intend to immigrate illegally to the US.

Please, is it a red flag if an F1 student visa applicant has a pending immigration petition and relatives in the US because I was surprised when the VO kept asking me why I have so many of my family members in the US?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Abraham18(m): 10:54am On Jul 23, 2017
Is there any chance or means by which students on m-1 visa can work, how many years will I be given for M-1 visa and how can I change my status to F-1 b4 my-1 visa expires?
Need answers please
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 6:40pm On Jul 23, 2017
The default validity for visas issued to Nigerians is 2 years. The length of time you can stay in the US will be determined by Customs and Border Protection when you arrive in the country. For almost all students, the length of stay which is granted is for as long as you are in the program. Students generally cannot work on a student visa. There are some low wage jobs on campus which some students can get, and you may be allowed to work at one of those jobs. If you ultimately want to have an F1 visa, I recommend you apply for an F1 visa, not an M1.

Abraham18:
Need answers please
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Abraham18(m): 8:29pm On Jul 23, 2017
abujaniv:
The default validity for visas issued to Nigerians is 2 years. The length of time you can stay in the US will be determined by Customs and Border Protection when you arrive in the country. For almost all students, the length of stay which is granted is for as long as you are in the program. Students generally cannot work on a student visa. There are some low wage jobs on campus which some students can get, and you may be allowed to work at one of those jobs. If you ultimately want to have an F1 visa, I recommend you apply for an F1 visa, not an M1.

Dear Abujaniv
The issue is paying for the university, the expenses is too much. Can I change my status from M-1 to F-1 when I get there?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 9:20pm On Jul 23, 2017
Hello Abraham18-

One of the criteria for issuance of a F1 (or M1) visa is that you have sufficient funds available to you for you to pursue the course of study without having to resort to illegal employment in the US. If the issue is paying for the university, you don't qualify for the visa.

Abraham18:

Dear Abujaniv
The issue is paying for the university, the expenses is too much. Can I change my status from M-1 to F-1 when I get there?

2 Likes

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 24, 2017
Hello VO,

I was going through my downloaded ds160, as my interview is in two days time, and I noticed an error where I clicked NO to the question on 'whether I have studied at secondary r higher level'. Pls what do you advise me to do. I am worried and I am not sure if it is safe to ask for a swap of ds160 as advised by a friend. Pls guide me
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Energgyyy: 4:49pm On Jul 25, 2017
Dear abujaniv,

Thank you for always responding promptly.
Since I submitted my additional document based on my 221g request, my visa status case date on the ceac website has been updated twice but its still showing administrative processing.

Please what is the implication?

Thank you in anticipation

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / Likely Questions By Usa Consular During Interview For Tourist Visa And Response

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.