Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,893 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening (185746 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Go Down)

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by pyx: 2:47pm On Jun 06, 2016
Hello VO, I need you to assist me on steps Tp book a drop box appointment , I try to fix the appointment and it took me to date for the interview
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:49pm On Jun 06, 2016
UNIXLover:
I am afraid I will have to get another Visa. My new sevis ID is different from the one on my Visa stamped. The school refused to send me 120 with same sevis ID as the old one.

Hello UNIXLover,

Sorry to hear that, but you can schedule a new appointment quickly as the wait time for students is only 2 days. Make sure to bring in any documentation from the school showing that you have been reinstated and the new SEVIS and I-20.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 2:50pm On Jun 06, 2016
pyx:
Hello VO, I need you to assist me on steps Tp book a drop box appointment , I try to fix the appointment and it took me to date for the interview

Hello pyx,

That is a systems question for http://www.ustraveldocs.com/ng/ng-niv-visarenew.asp.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by UNIXLover(m): 5:08pm On Jun 06, 2016
Thank you very much for your response. Although i included my wife as dependent in my new 120 form,does she has to go to the embassy with me now ? considering she is not traveling with me as she is yet to complete some mandatory works in Nigeria. also,do you recommend I use a dropbox since i was issued visa less than 8 months ago .
abujaniv:

Hello UNIXLover,

Sorry to hear that, but you can schedule a new appointment quickly as the wait time for students is only 2 days. Make sure to bring in any documentation from the school showing that you have been reinstated and the new SEVIS and I-20.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by TPAB(m): 6:51pm On Jun 06, 2016
abujaniv:
Hello, Nairaland!

Our other visa thread, U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening, has been a success in dispelling some of the myths associated with the visa process. We have enjoyed answering all of your pertinent questions and as we get ready for the upcoming summer cycle that sees a huge increase in student visas, we wanted to create a new forum [b]JUST [/b]for applicants with questions about student visas (F1, M1, & J1).

We are U.S. Foreign Service Officers working in Abuja and Lagos and we are looking forward to answering your student related questions. Please note that we do not comment on specific cases, we do not offer advice, and we will not answer abusive or insulting posts.

While we will attempt to explain U.S. immigration policies on student visas and provide overall visa application guidance, any opinions expressed are the personal views of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of the United States Government.

There is a separate Immigrant and Diversity Visa thread at https://www.nairaland.com/1792591/u.s-immigration-questions-ask-u.s., also handled by a U.S. Foreign Service Officers in Nigeria, so please use this thread only for questions about student visas. If you have general non-immigrant visa questions, please visit the other thread here, https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Regards,
Student Visa Team

Hello, please what concrete reason can I provide to enable the VO know that I have ties with my country and conning back...Please I need assistance on that..Thank you
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OTUNBACODED: 9:41pm On Jun 06, 2016
students need to show financial capability to pay tuition and upkeep during visa interview. can I show a statement of account that is 4 months old pls? as my sponsor is currently indisposed and to get a recent statement of account is almost not possible before my interview. thanks I'm anticipation of ur timely response.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:22am On Jun 07, 2016
TPAB:

Hello, please what concrete reason can I provide to enable the VO know that I have ties with my country and conning back...Please I need assistance on that..Thank you

Hello TPAB,

Please direct this question to the other forum - https://www.nairaland.com/1792662/u.s-non-immigrant-visas-listening.

Thanks,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:24am On Jun 07, 2016
OTUNBACODED:
students need to show financial capability to pay tuition and upkeep during visa interview. can I show a statement of account that is 4 months old pls? as my sponsor is currently indisposed and to get a recent statement of account is almost not possible before my interview. thanks I'm anticipation of ur timely response.

Hello OTUNBACODED,

You will need to convince the officer that you can pay for your studies - that being said, you can prove that in many ways, an account statement being only one of them.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OTUNBACODED: 8:11am On Jun 07, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello OTUNBACODED,

You will need to convince the officer that you can pay for your studies - that being said, you can prove that in many ways, an account statement being only one of them.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

thanks for the response but how else could it be proved apart from the account statement? will a copy of his employment letter be sufficient?

thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:58am On Jun 07, 2016
OTUNBACODED:

thanks for the response but how else could it be proved apart from the account statement? will a copy of his employment letter be sufficient?

thanks

Hello OTUNBACODED,

We don't typically look at documents during interviews - so you will most likely be asked to explain who will be sponsoring you.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OTUNBACODED: 2:05pm On Jun 07, 2016
abujaniv:

Hello OTUNBACODED,

We don't typically look at documents during interviews - so you will most likely be asked to explain who will be sponsoring you.

Regards,
Student Visa Team

thanks
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akagson: 6:11pm On Jun 09, 2016
Does your physical appearance play any part in whether you'd be granted a visa?
I mean, like the type of cloth you put on, the way you make your hair, and as a guy, your hairstyle.
Does any of this form a basis of the VO's judgement?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nobody: 4:29am On Jun 10, 2016
Please I need information about how to apply for MSc and scholarship to study in US.

abujaniv
victor4u
please help me out cry

https://www.nairaland.com/3157450/application-msc-scholarship-usa
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:29am On Jun 10, 2016
akagson:
Does your physical appearance play any part in whether you'd be granted a visa?
I mean, like the type of cloth you put on, the way you make your hair, and as a guy, your hairstyle.
Does any of this form a basis of the VO's judgement?

Hello akagson,

Thank you for this question - it is important that we DISPEL this myth! Appearance DOES NOT matter at ALL. The consular officers are only interested in the student's qualifications. Credibility is based solely on the answers to the questions pertaining to reasons for selecting the school, preparations for the acceptance into the school, future professional goals and sponsorship information. What an applicant wears or looks like has NO bearing on the outcome of the interview.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 7:30am On Jun 10, 2016
Vanillaskin:
Please I need information about how to apply for MSc and scholarship to study in US.

abujaniv
victor4u
please help me out cry

https://www.nairaland.com/3157450/application-msc-scholarship-usa

Hello Vanillaskin,

We can offer information on obtaining visa but not on how to get into a school or get a scholarship. Your best recourse for that is Education USA.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Maclee10(m): 11:04am On Jun 11, 2016
good work vo

I was given a conditional admission at isu in the Us, the condition is to go through an intensive English language program in the same school. I have bn to the embassy 3times with the f1 status and my visa was refused

My question is what is the chance I have if I change my status to b1/b2 or should I just stay persistent to f1 status.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akagson: 11:31am On Jun 11, 2016
Hi abujaniv ,
I have just scheduled my visa appointment. The part that reads "dependent: false", what does it actually mean? Because I'm feeling maybe I kinda made a mistake or something. Please what does that "dependent false" mean?

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:43am On Jun 13, 2016
Maclee10:
good work vo

I was given a conditional admission at isu in the Us, the condition is to go through an intensive English language program in the same school. I have bn to the embassy 3times with the f1 status and my visa was refused

My question is what is the chance I have if I change my status to b1/b2 or should I just stay persistent to f1 status.

Hello Maclee10,

You cannot study on a B1 visa. You are welcome to apply as many times as you would like and be ready to speak very clearly about your qualifications and your credibility as a student. You might also try to take the TOEFL and change from conditional admission and avoid the language program.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:44am On Jun 13, 2016
akagson:
Hi abujaniv ,
I have just scheduled my visa appointment. The part that reads "dependent: false", what does it actually mean? Because I'm feeling maybe I kinda made a mistake or something. Please what does that "dependent false" mean?

Hello akagson,

That is a systems question for CGI Nigeria - they have a good help desk you can contact.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by DaniLeo83: 11:00am On Jun 14, 2016
Hi Abujaniv,

I have admission to study in the USA and I would sign an Employment Training Bond with a company that is sponsoring me and my dependents. The company is offering sponsorship for me to return and work for them. I would like to be advised whether this an acceptable sponsorship for F1 and F2 visas?

Best regards.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:38am On Jun 16, 2016
DaniLeo83:
Hi Abujaniv,

I have admission to study in the USA and I would sign an Employment Training Bond with a company that is sponsoring me and my dependents. The company is offering sponsorship for me to return and work for them. I would like to be advised whether this an acceptable sponsorship for F1 and F2 visas?

Best regards.

Hello DaniLeo83,

There are many acceptable sources of funding for students, from parents to employers - just be prepared to explain who is funding your studies and why they are willing to do that.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nana89: 6:56am On Jun 21, 2016
Hello, I would please like to know the possibility or otherwise of going to the US with my kids, a 7 year old who is a Nigerian citizen and a 2 year old who is an American citizen to continue/start their education respectively. Father works in Nigeria and will be the one sponsoring.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:57am On Jun 21, 2016
Nana89:
Hello, I would please like to know the possibility or otherwise of going to the US with my kids, a 7 year old who is a Nigerian citizen and a 2 year old who is an American citizen to continue/start their education respectively. Father works in Nigeria and will be the one sponsoring.

Hello Nana89 -

It is a similar process to studying for adults - you will need to apply to an accredited school and receive an I-20 for your Nigerian born child. You will then apply for an F1 visa. You will have to show payment regardless of if it is a private or public school. You will also need to explain where they will live and you will need to strongly establish your ties to Nigeria as you will not be able to live with them in the U.S. on a tourist visa.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by Nana89: 2:12pm On Jun 21, 2016
Thank you very much for the response. I forgot to ask what type of visa I will be applying for myself as the accompanying parent.
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by OTUNBACODED: 9:44pm On Jun 21, 2016
Thank you visa officers for this wonderful thread. I was denied a b1/b2 visa in March and started following this thread and also asked questions in your interview session with Mr Oseni earlier in April/May and I utilized advices given and behold today my F-1 visa was approved. so grateful and more grease to your elbow.

7 Likes

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 8:27am On Jun 22, 2016
Nana89:
Thank you very much for the response. I forgot to ask what type of visa I will be applying for myself as the accompanying parent.

Hello Nana89 -

You cannot accompany minor children to the U.S. for school. There is no visa class for that and you cannot live in the U.S. on a tourist visa. The only way people send their children to the U.S. for school is to a boarding school or to live with family members.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by mcselasie(m): 6:46pm On Jun 22, 2016
Hello AbujaNIV,
Does a student who has a full tuition waiver including housing and feeding and only has to take care of his living expenses, need any additional prove of finances?

1 Like

Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by abujaniv: 11:54am On Jun 23, 2016
mcselasie:
Hello AbujaNIV,
Does a student who has a full tuition waiver including housing and feeding and only has to take care of his living expenses, need any additional prove of finances?

Hello mcselasie -

The officer may ask how you will pay for your living expenses - so just be prepared to answer that, but know that documentation is not required.

Regards,
Student Visa Team
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by akagson: 3:16pm On Jun 25, 2016
Hello abujaniv
If your interview is on a Friday, and you happened to be approved. When will your visa stamp be ready?
Re: U.S. Student Visa (F1, M1, & J1) Forum - We're Listening by pristine88: 6:02pm On Jun 25, 2016
I am Curious.. i intend to Pay 100% tuition before my interview would it be stated on my i 120 or would the school issue a separate documentation to that effect?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36)

Dv Lottery 2012 Winner Meet Here / Adventure In Ireland / *** General Irish VISIT/TOURIST VISA Enquiries ***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.